Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-29-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
Lakewinniboater

Default snow shoeing

Anyone have any ideas for good places to snow shoe? I bought some for my husband and son. We have a home in Alton Bay, so someplace close would be nice.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
Resident 2B

Default Gunstock

Wendy,

Although they have a usage fee, the trails at Gunstock are great and they have outstanding views, as long as there is snow. Today's rain took a toll, but there was still snow up there early this afternoon. If you have a season ski pass, you can use the trails for free and I believe you can get a season pass for the trails as well.

Good luck and think SNOW!
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:58 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Hi Wendy: my wife and I actively snowshoe in and around the bay. Off Fort Point Road, which is off Trask Rd off rte 28A (near the dump!) is Trask swamp, and Alton Parks & Rec sponsors a walk (full moon), 1st one is Jan 14th, a Saturday at 7PM. There is also a trail at Knight's pond off Rines Rd off Rte 28 near the wolfeboro line. that trail is a little more challenging.

We live up off the bay, and have ready access to the snowmobile trails. there is one that crosses rte11 just east of Precious Gardens that goes down to the lake. We take that, go down to the bay, up through the campground, cross Rand Hill Rd into the Kids Camp AdvenChur, take the snowmobile trail off the back of the camp area to the "D" trail, follow it westbound to just above our house, and then back to the house. It is about 3.5 miles, and is free!!!!

email me and let me know where your camp is (approximately) and I can give you some more ideas.

Hope you had a nice Christmas!

Dave
Old 12-29-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Is there such a thing as vertical snow shoeing

Maybe you could try the trails the “LRCT” closed for snowmobiling, at the castle, that are now intended for alternative activities?

I know they had hiking maps at the bulletin board by the parking lot.

Pray for snow for all of our activities!!!!!!!!

Winnocturn
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
Lakewinniboater

Default Thank You!!!

I will definitely try all of the above! We were at Gunstock on Saturday and Sunday this past weekend.

I did see the snow shoeing trails. I may try those first and go from there.

Upthesaukee, I actually live across from Precious Gardens..... where is that trail??

We saw some snowmobiles coming down the brook (although not frozen yet) and then out onto the lake...... Saw about 10 or so snowmobiles out ON the lake racing. I kinda thought that was NUTS. Considering the bay wasn't anywhere near thoroughly frozen. Thankfully, I haven't heard of any accidently swimming though.

Anyway, to have a trail near the house would be fantastic!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
upthesaukee

LWB, if you are looking at Precious Gardens, to the left of it is a mobile home that sits back off the road a little bit, and to the left of that is a guard rail. At the end of the guard rail is a path that goes south of Rte 11 (up the hill). If you follow that path to a clearing, and take the "middle" path to the road (the left one crosses a bridge, and the right one will take you to the road as well), and turn left, the first house you come to is mine... a brown and beige gambrel with a ton of glass all across the front with a two car gambrel garage with carports off each side. Back down to rte 11, the path crosses right there, and accesses the lake at the McArdles property, right about where the brook goes in the lake. email me, and I can give you my phone # and if you come up on a weekend, we can meet and I can get you up to the snowmobile paths up above my house that run east and west, kind of paralleling rte 11. Lot's of good snowshoeing if Mama Nature would just cooperate!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:40 AM   #7
Lakewinniboater

Default Thank you!!

upthesaukee,

You are always full of information! Thank you very much.

Have a great day,
Old 01-06-2006, 01:34 PM   #8
Niceorange

There are typically a lot of snowshoers and XC skiers that travel up to the Hidden Valley Boyscout Camp on the Gilmanton/Alton line between Sunset and Manning Lakes (enter off Places Mill Road). Trail 22 runs right through the camp, and there are of course many additional trails that run along and around 22 that are part of the camp. There is a cool trail that runs up to Round Pond, which is basically about a 15-20 acre pond on top of a hill. There are also plenty of scenic views to check out, and being away from the bay means snowmobile traffic is way lower and slower.
Niceorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:44 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
Back down to rte 11, the path crosses right there, and accesses the lake at the McArdles property, !
I have been under a misconception as to the snowmobile path that I mention here in the quote. I assumed (we all know what happens then ) that it was indeed a "Mt Major Snowmobile Club trail". It is in fact not part of the club's trail system, ...Mt. Major S/C trail does not attach to the lake except at Loon Cove and Camp Advenchur via Alton Bay where there is also parking available. This highlighted part is from a friend who is in the Club who wanted to let me know. Sorry for any confusion, but there is still good access to the trail system from this general area.