Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2005, 08:19 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default wv sno-making begins

Take a peek at the Owls Nest webcam in the lake links and there it is, all blowing snow and wintry looking, same view as from my window here. Sno-making started last night at the top of Waterville Valley.

I've always been a down hill and cross country skier and never a sno-mobiler. Maybe, this year I'll give sno-mobilng a try and cruise across the lake from Meredith over to Moultonboro and try out all those trails over in the Ossipee mountains. Looking at sno-mobiles as they fly by at 60mph or so, it seems like the four strokes are a lot cleaner to use without that oil smell that penetrates into the air and your clothes. Is this correct?

Waterville Valley or actually the uninhabited north neighboring town of Livermore has sno-mobiling up on the upper half of the Tripoli Rd going fom Rt 93 exit 30 or something in Thornton, and on down the Tripoli to the steel gate at the height of land just beyond the parking lot for the Mt Osceola hiking trail. Anyone been up that way and onto the sno-mobile trails on and off the Tripoli Rd. How is it?
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Wink Winnipesaukee to Loon

Years ago I use to snowmobile from the Lake to Loon Mtn. I'm pretty sure I use Tripoli Road to do this. Pick up a NH snowmobile magazine. They usually have a map of the major corridors in NH.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 11-11-2005 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:32 PM   #3
fatlazyless

When going from Loon to Lake Winnipesaukee, I think that you probably took the Tripoli Rd and connected with the Sandwich Notch Rd. There is a distance of about seven miles between the two where no snowmobiling is allowed anymore. The lower three miles of the Tripoli from the gate at the height of land down the the West Side bridge is posted no snowmobiles and I have never seen any snowmobiles traveling parallel to Rt 49 up on the shoulder or off by the side of the road as it heads down to the Sandwich Notch Rd. But who knows, anything is possible. In recent years it seems that many have quit cross country skiing as there'a almost no one out on the WV xc trails on weekend or weekdays. That Sandwich Notch road is closed to all motor traffic and looks like a good snowmobile area. There's a big dog sled race over it in February.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:39 PM   #4
Kevin C

Skiing was always one of my favorite things to do since college days. Close to 30 years later I started to snowmobile with my family and friends....wow.
The trails, the views, the wildlife....spectacular. I now snowmobile much more than I ski and love it. Pick up a NH Trail Map at any snowmobile shop and you'll see the elaborate trail system that has been set up by the local clubs.

4 Strokes do burn cleaner than the 2 strokes. But the newer 2 strokes also burn pretty clean and I have never had the smell of oil on my clothing.

See you on the trails (or slopes)
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote