Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
Alsobig

Default ATV's on Snowmobile Trails?

Question... Can you ride your ATV on snowmobile trails? From past experience I have seen signs on trails that say "NO WHEELED VEHICLES" I understand this if it is a Golf course or a someones yard that they do not want to be teared up? Does anyone know what the laws actually say? I figured if the State of NH wants me to register my Four-wheeler then it should be allowed to ride on all State Trails!
Alsobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
Skip

Exclamation ATVs & snowmobile trails...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsobig
Question... Can you ride your ATV on snowmobile trails? From past experience I have seen signs on trails that say "NO WHEELED VEHICLES" I understand this if it is a Golf course or a someones yard that they do not want to be teared up? Does anyone know what the laws actually say? I figured if the State of NH wants me to register my Four-wheeler then it should be allowed to ride on all State Trails!
You must obey all signage on snowmobile trails.....if the trail is posted "NO WHEELED VEHICLES" and you operate your ATV on it, you will be charged accordingly.

Most snowmobile trails in New Hampshire are a patchwork of private properties coordinated by the local club that has sought out landowner permission for usage. Some landowners place stipulations, such as no wheeled vehicles. It is their land that we are a guest on and we must respect and abide by their wishes.

The only way to be sure is to check with the local club that controls the trails in the area you are interested in.

A quote from Fish & Game's FAQ page on OHRVs:

Where can I ride?

More than 6,900 miles of snowmobile trails may be open in the winter to most types of OHRVs. Landowner permission is required to operate on property of another -- therefore, some trails may be posted against use by ATVs or trail bikes. Snowmobile trails are only open during the winter months unless written landowner permission is obtained. The Bureau of Trails and the New Hampshire Snowmobile Association print statewide Snowmobile Trail maps. Local trail maps are printed and distributed by local clubs.

Please visit http://wildlife.state.nh.us/OHRV/ohrv as it will answer all your questions on proper ATV operation in the State of New Hampshire.

Good luck & safe riding....

Merry Christmas,

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:00 PM   #3
Drummer Boy

Default ATV's on trails

You should check out http://www.nhtrails.org for more information
Drummer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:15 PM   #4
codeman671

The major share of all groomed trails in the state during the winter are against wheeled vehicles, even atvs with track systems installed are not OK. There are local clubs who are developing their own trail systems, one such club exists in New Durham. Check out www.newdurhamvalleyatvclub.com. ATVs are extremely destructive to groomed snowmobile trails, the ruts which they create once frozen are almost impossible to groom out. As a club officer for a snowmobile club I can say that none of the clubs in the seacoast area allow atv use on snowmobile trails, The Fremont Rec Trails is the only state trail in the area which atv use is permitted.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:48 PM   #5
secondcurve

Default Rv

Alsobig:

Please adhere to the NH rules for RV use. As stated previously, there are some designated areas for RVs, but not as many as you may like due to the destructive nature of these machines on the environment. Don't be a reckless RV user as it will lead to more trail closures. Good Luck.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2005, 09:02 AM   #6
Zee

Default Safety is an issue also

The shared use of snowmobile trails with ATV's is also a safety issue. Most snowmobiliers travelling the trails do not expect to encounter an ATV around the corner. ATV's vary in size, some are small and some are much wider than a snomo. I have encountered several big ones while sledding and they take up the whole trail. Summer, spring and fall are ATV seasons, leave the short 10-12 week period (if we are lucky) to snomo's.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:09 AM   #7
chipj29

Default ? regarding trail damage

I was on my local trails on Sunday, and found that some lovely person had driven their Jeep, or similar 4-wheel drive vehicle through some popular trails. This caused extensive damage leaving deep ruts in some places, and in others breaking through the ice on what had been previously frozen water bars. At this point, is there anything my local club can do to fix these ruts? Being under 20 degrees right now, I would venture to guess that those ruts are freezing in place as we speak. I notified my club, but have not heard back from them. Advice?

Thanks
Chip
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:24 PM   #8
Cobalt

Default ATV's on snowmobile trails

Most snowmobile trail systems in NH prohibit 4 wheel vehicles. While riding in Canada a few years ago, not far from the Pittsburg border, there are trail systems that run snowmobiles and ATV"S side by side down the trail separated by piled snow. Each has its own designated lane.

Since the trails are much wider, this system works very well and was fun running beside ATV's at 60-70. I hope this may be of some help if you plan a trip to Canada with your ATV, but I cannot think of anything local.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:57 PM   #9
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Chip29 Trails Do Not Open Till 12/15!

chip,

may be you (and a bunch of others)should go to the ohrv website and read the laws covering snowmobiling and trail use in nh. trails do not open till 12/15. yes that is this thursday. if you check ohrv you will find the as of 2 years ago the way trails are designated as to who can use them has changed. at each trail head there should be a sign indicating what type of vehicle is allowed use of the trial. as far as i know there are no trials in the lakes area designated for atv use.

before anyone buys an atv in nh maybe the should ask the dealer where they can ride it. bet they won't tell you. basically unless you haul it to an approved atv trails system, you can not go off your own property!

chip, when is the last time you volunteered to do some trial work for your local club?

i stand corrected as to trail use. part of the railbed is heading norht is designatd duel purpose. problem is i don't know how or where you can get on or off to any other trials?

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 12-13-2005 at 06:45 PM.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:28 PM   #10
donmac

Quote:
I STAND CORRECTED AS TO TRAIL USE. PART OF THE RAILBED IS HEADING NORHT IS DESIGNATD DUEL PURPOSE. PROBLEM IS I DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHERE YOU CAN GET ON OR OFF TO ANY OTHER TRIALS?
That is correct. I know the rail trail corridor - at least between Winona and Winnipesaukee - is a shared use trail open to ATVs.

I enjoy snowmobiling, but also use an ATV for ice fishing.
donmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:44 AM   #11
chipj29

Default Winno

WINNO, where did this come from? I am well aware of when the trails open. I also know that the trail I was on is on Town owned land. I know who can use the trail and when. I know what the signs mean. On this particular trail, wheeled vehicles are not allowed. The damage was caused by a WHEELED VEHICLE THAT WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ON THE TRAIL. Oh by the way, where in my post did I say I was on a snowmobile or other ohrv? How do you know I wasn't walking the trail??

And I am a PARTICIPATING member in my local club. I do trail work with the club every year. Including working on the trail that was damaged. In fact, when I reported the damage to my club, I asked how I could help, if at all. So take your high and mighty attitude, and channel it towards someone else. If you can offer me constructive advice great. If not, don't try to answer my question.

So to answer your question, when was the last time I volunteered to do trail work for my local club...the answer is yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN
Chip,

May Be You (and A Bunch Of Others)should Go To The Ohrv Website And Read The Laws Covering Snowmobiling And Trail Use In Nh. Trails Do Not Open Till 12/15. Yes That Is This Thursday. If You Check Ohrv You Will Find The As Of 2 Years Ago The Way Trails Are Designated As To Who Can Use Them Has Changed. At Each Trail Head There Should Be A Sign Indicating What Type Of Vehicle Is Allowed Use Of The Trial. As Far As I Know There Are No Trials In The Lakes Area Designated For Atv Use.

Before Anyone Buys An Atv In Nh Maybe The Should Ask The Dealer Where They Can Ride It. Bet They Won't Tell You. Basically Unless You Haul It To An Approved Atv Trails System, You Can Not Go Off Your Own Property!

Chip, When Is The Last Time You Volunteered To Do Some Trial Work For Your Local Club?

I STAND CORRECTED AS TO TRAIL USE. PART OF THE RAILBED IS HEADING NORHT IS DESIGNATD DUEL PURPOSE. PROBLEM IS I DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHERE YOU CAN GET ON OR OFF TO ANY OTHER TRIALS?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:18 AM   #12
Alsobig

Lightbulb

Didn't mean to start any fights...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee
Summer, spring and fall are ATV seasons, leave the short 10-12 week period (if we are lucky) to snomo's.
One of my points exactly... Why would you buy a Snowmobile if you can only use it for 2 months out of the year...? Wouldn't an ATV be more practical! At least you get use it all year round! Back to my original point... If the State of NH wants me to register my ATV then shouldn't it be allowed on all State FUNDED Trails... and the Key word here being... FUNDED I understand if private trails do not want ATV's... I know they do mess up the trails sometimes... but so do snowmobiles they make all those whoop-de-doos in the tails too... all those little small hills in the middle of the trails. I guess you would call them (moguls)
Alsobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:12 AM   #13
Woodsy

Alsobig...

It really doesn't matter who funded the trail, it only matters who owns the property underneath. The railbed is owned by the state, leased to the Winnipesaukee RR. and thus it can be classified as dual puprose atv/snowmobile use. It also has a different opening date, as the trains still use it. I think the opening date for the railbed is mid-january.

The problem is you cannot take your ATV off the railbed onto any other trails as they are trails across private property and designated for snowmobile use only. It makes for a pretty boring ATV ride.

Woodsy
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:24 PM   #14
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Separate Funding

new legislation has been past so that registration fees now go directly to the activity you are involved in. funds are no longer co-mingled. your sport has been tagged as a bunch of renegades, going any where and at any time they feel like it. this attitude makes it difficult for legitimate clubs and riders to get good trials to ride on.

as for snowmobiles messing up the trails, it is not the snowmobile, it is the “could not care less” riders. trails designated for atv and dirt bike use are not open year round. depending on ground conditions most trials are usually closed during "mud season”. how many news paper stories does it take to get your attention. atv rider hits “posted closed” trial gate. question, have you taken the atv safety course ? it take it that if you have seen the trail damage done by snowmobiles you were probably riding your atv illegally on a designated snowmobile only trail.

to: chipj29

your ok! i stand enlightened.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:07 PM   #15
Zee

Alsobig, my issue is more the safety of mixed use ATV's and sleds. But in answer to your other question, I prefer a sled to an ATV, even for a short season. Sleds are much better on the frozen lake. During the spring, summer and fall, who needs land toys when there are water toys still to be used?

Maybe the answer to your complaint of paying the ORV fee for the full year and only using it a partial year would be for the state to pro-rate the fees for sleds versus ATV's. I would much prefer to pay only 1/4 of the fee since I can't use my sled during ATV season. See you on the trails, not.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:35 AM   #16
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN

to: chipj29

your ok! i stand enlightened.
No problem....just wanted you to know where I was coming from. I just realized that I never stated in my post that I was a snowmobiler, maybe that would have helped alleviate any confusion.

Ride safe, ride right!