Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-16-2005, 01:17 PM   #1
Bear Guy

Default Waukewan Highlands (?) Snowshoe

I've found several sources that point to both the Waukewan Highlands and the Hamlin Recreation & Conservation Area as good places for snowshoeing. However, none of my references will tell me where in Meredith they are actually located. Can anyone direct me to the parking lots for these areas?

I'm also open to suggestions of other locations on the South/East side of the Lake for snowshoeing. I'm driving in for just one day this weekend.
Bear Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 10:30 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Locke Hill area in Gilford has a nice trail that takes you up to the top of Locke's Hill, with great views of the Lake, and also west over the airport towards Winnisquam. Trail Head is on Rte 11 across the highway from the Scenic View overlooking the broads, Welch's Island, etc. Park in the scenic view and cross the street. Moderate up hill climb (we like going out the "back trail" to the top, and then coming down the "front trail" (couple of nice views of the lake on the way down.). Check with Gunstock for snowshoe conditions as well. And in Wolfeboro, check with Nordic Skier on Main Street for snowshoe conditions and availability 603-569-3151. Enjoy.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:51 AM   #3
Pepper

Default My first pair!

Upthesaukee - Waldo just bought me my first pair of snowshoes, and since I have no experience, and a poor sense of direction, I'm looking for someone to "shoe" with. I'm reasonably sure the season is about over for this year, but maybe next year we could plan some nature walks?
Old 03-17-2005, 10:20 AM   #4
GreensKeeper

Waukewan Highlands is a nice place to snowshoe if you can get there shortly after a snow storm. The area does get a lot of traffic and they can pack the snow to the point where snowshoes aren't necessary. Of course, you could go off the marked trails. The recreational area is located off Parade Road (route 106) in Meredith.
The Hamlin Recreation & Conservation Area is beautiful both winter and summer. It doesn't get as much traffic yet because it is still new. It is also located in Meredith. If you were to take Parade Road to Meredith Center Road and head north towards Meredith Center (the small village not downtown Meredith) you would make a left onto Chemung Road just a 1/4 mile past Meredith Center. Travel about three miles on Chemung and it would be on your right side. It is well marked and has a parking area.
Enjoy.
GreensKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:57 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Hi Pepper -- Can Do!!! Wife will feel better about snow shoeing next year as well. We do have a full moon snow shoe walk in Alton on the 25th at Trask Swamp at 8PM. Close up a little early and bring a couple of traditional lobster rolls over for a hike...I'm sure they would like the hike and I'd sure enjoy having them!!!!! I mean having them along...

Actually where we live, we have ready access to the "D" trail which parallels Rte 11 from behind the town of Alton all the way to Mt Major and Straightback. Not a heavily travelled route, and a nice quiet walk. We have seen deer tracks, moose tracks, all sorts of little critter tracks, birds, two old beaver dams...

We also can get down on the lake when it's frozen and snow covered. There is a nice loop we take down onto the lake, then down to the Alton Boat Ramp, cross rte 11 and follow the "b" trail up to the D trail, then back to the house. Ends up being about 3 to 3.5 miles, nice 1.5 hour jaunt, with a wood stove and some liquid libation awaiting....

PS...I know next Friday's not good for you guys...See you soon.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:54 PM   #6
Pepper

Default How do I get to the swamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
We do have a full moon snow shoe walk in Alton on the 25th at Trask Swamp at 8PM. Close up a little early and bring a couple of traditional lobster rolls over for a hike...I'm sure they would like the hike and I'd sure enjoy having them!!!!! I mean having them along...

PS...I know next Friday's not good for you guys...See you soon.
Au contraire, mon ami! Next Friday is REALLY GOOD for me - and I'll be at the swamp with my lobster rolls a little before 8:00 PM! All I need now is directions to the swamp - post here, or send me an email with any particulars, please!
Old 03-18-2005, 10:49 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Hi Pepper

Alas the weather doesn't look so good for next friday with that "R" word being said. But then again, it's a week away, and things could change for the better!

To get to Trask Swamp, from the intersection of Rte 28A and Rte 11 right at the end of Alton Bay by the Dockside restaurant, go north on Rte 28A towards Wolfeboro. Turn Left on Chestnut Cove Road. You will come to a fork in the road with Chestnut Cove going to the right and Fort Point Rd going to the left. Bear left on Fort Point Road and the Trask Swamp Parking area will be on your left.

We'll keep a good thought on the weather, and hope to see you there. I'll email you with my phone number if you have any questions.

See ya!!!