Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-31-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
coltgov101

Default conversation

I began posting threads when encouraged by other readers and now it seems like everyone is asleep. No one responds to my posts and a lot of the talk is old, repetitive, and no one seems interested anymore. Perhaps I am a dinasour from another era. See ya!
coltgov101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
Argie's Wife

Well... if you leave, how are you going to see my post?
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
lawn psycho

If you hang around any forum long enough they ALL get repetitive.

If you really want to talk about repetitive conversation, I can send you a link to a fourm 100% devoted to growing elite Kentucky Bluegrass cultivars. We truly are watching/waiting for the grass to grow

It's winter. Not as many people are on the forum. Stick around and something will come up that you share a common interest in.

Also, you can check out the photo galleries if you are bored. Something for everyone out there....
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I do agree with him though. It seems often we do just write our own thing and don't respond to other posts. It would be nice to have a little more give and take. We don't each need to be isolated.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Janet

Default Keep posting

I love reading your posts and memories. Please keep posting and telling your stories.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default prior posts

perhaps you should read my posts outside of the SL threads. Lots of info about the past. Just don't want to repost them. Love reading what you have posted.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:19 AM   #7
coltgov101

Default Conversation again

Ah, I guess someone is reading my memories after all. Now that I am retired I cannot stop thinking about the Lake. My summers there were like magic, A truly dream like state that has stuck with me for life. I have so many memories that I feel drawn back. Perhaps a relocation is in order. I don't have the ability to buy lake front property, (as we used to have), but being close sounds very interesting. I must admit that I have never spent a winter there. All that snow looks somehow depressing, I remember talking to the local kids at the time about getting out of school for snow days. They had never heard of such a thing! I guess in N.H. snow doesn't stop day to day activities as it does here in N.J. I guess I will think about moving as nothing is keeping me here. I can get my pension check and social sec. check sent anywhere. It would be interesting to move to N.H. and in the winter stay home and try to write a novel!
Old 02-01-2010, 03:23 AM   #8
coltgov101

Default Conversation again

P.S. thanks to all of you for your encouragement.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:23 AM   #9
ApS

Exclamation Not Boring At All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
"...It's winter. Not as many people are on the forum..."
Hmmm. I thought is was busier than whatever "normal" had been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
"...Also, you can check out the photo galleries if you are bored. Something for everyone out there....
For coltgov101, I'd suggest the History Photopost galleries. (Click HERE, then click on a photograph). The Forum provides a space for your comments. You can correct/elaborate on the things seen in the photograph.

Fewer than half have any historical commentary, so "have at it!".
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

That isn't true any more Colt. School is called off a lot now. It's not like the old days you remember when school was almost never called off.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #11
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I tend to read most, if not all, of the posts and threads on the site. I do not always reply to each one. So be safe in the knowledge, that you are a read author.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #12
Argie's Wife

coltgov101 - just FYI... this forum is more lively in the warmer months than in the winter... and it gets nutty as squirrel poo right around the time of the forum fest... (oh, and at town meeting time, too...)
Old 02-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
Pineedles

Default coltgov101

I read your posts and do enjoy them.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
dog paw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
That isn't true any more Colt. School is called off a lot now. It's not like the old days you remember when school was almost never called off.

Boy thats the truth LOL! Not that I'm old or anything but back in the day the bus would roll up with chains on..... I would love to see some of the drivers today chain up a bus. OH my God I chipped a nail Six flakes of snow down here will close school. Sad to see the country turning into mush.......
dog paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #15
Coolbreeze

Colt, get out of the house for awhile, your post sounds like you are depressed. The winter does it to all of us... go get some good Jersey air(is there any?) and keep on a posting when you come home. We are here and are interested. In the beginning, I had to post naked pictures of myself to get interest from the readers. Oops! wrong forum...sorry.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #16
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog paw View Post
Boy thats the truth LOL! Not that I'm old or anything but back in the day the bus would roll up with chains on..... I would love to see some of the drivers today chain up a bus. OH my God I chipped a nail Six flakes of snow down here will close school. Sad to see the country turning into mush.......
Back when I was a kid living in rural Vermont and going to a one room school house (we actually had two rooms, one was upstairs) with six grades and a total of 21 kids..we didn't have no stinkin School Bus. Once in a great while, our teacher would show up with a horse and sleigh to pick up the kids in front of the house. The rest of the time we walked.

The boys had to shovel the front steps and keep the pot bellied stove going.....I think we burned coal. I don't know what the girls had to do.

I'm not making this up. It was 1948 and I was in the second grade. The school had grades one through six. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #17
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog paw View Post

There's been one snow day so far for our school district... yup. Honest. I believe that three snow days are factored into each school year calendar. But the country is going to h.e.-double-tooth-picks in a hand basket because of that now...

Personally, I'd rather schools error on the side of caution considering all the new and inexperienced drivers (students) headed to the high schools. Some of the roads are barely passable in the winter when there's bare pavement in the winter - never mind when there's layers of ice and snow... and then there's the commutes some of the teachers or students have to make to get to school. I believe there was one fatality this year already of a teacher. There was a horrible accident in Barnstead a while back - its just not necessary to have folks on the road.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #18
dog paw

Yep mush I tell ya, everyone's getting soft

Six days for our schools and they just about have used them up. Thats in Maryland. I shudder to think what these knuckleheads would do if they had to do a winter up in your neck of the woods LOL! They seem to kill themselves at a weekly rate here on dry roads. Lost a junior from a local high school last week.

I tell the wife out of all the places we have traveled in this great country of ours the DC metro area has got to be the worst. I do a 80 mph 45 mile bumper to bumper commute twice a day with the worst drivers on the planet and it still sends chills down my spine to see cars trucks and planes tooling around the lake on the ice threads!
dog paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #19
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltgov101 View Post
Ah, I guess someone is reading my memories after all. Now that I am retired I cannot stop thinking about the Lake. My summers there were like magic, A truly dream like state that has stuck with me for life. I have so many memories that I feel drawn back. Perhaps a relocation is in order. I don't have the ability to buy lake front property, (as we used to have), but being close sounds very interesting. I must admit that I have never spent a winter there. All that snow looks somehow depressing, I remember talking to the local kids at the time about getting out of school for snow days. They had never heard of such a thing! I guess in N.H. snow doesn't stop day to day activities as it does here in N.J. I guess I will think about moving as nothing is keeping me here. I can get my pension check and social sec. check sent anywhere. It would be interesting to move to N.H. and in the winter stay home and try to write a novel!
You posted this at 3:19 A.M. You don't need to write a novel you need to get some sleep.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:04 AM   #20
coltgov101

Default Ah Ha! someone is reading !

The few times we came to N.H. in the winter the roads were clear and dry. The snow was so high on the side of the road it was hard to tell where you were. We drove to our cottage but could only look at it from the road. The snow was probably five feet deep and impossible to walk through. However as I said the road was clear and dry. For those of you that wonder why I post in the middle of the night, I worked shift work for forty years and it is not unusual for me to be up in the middle of the night. Don't worry, I get my sleep, just not the same schedule as yours !
Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #21
rrr

I was just going to ask about winter memories...
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote