Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2021, 04:58 AM   #1
Pete C

Default Boat Lift lowering itself

Found our boat floating off the lift this AM. Put it back on and it immediately kept lowering itself. It's a HiTide life. Turned off the breaker to keep it on. Other than calling the service departments which are very backed up, any ideas?
Pete C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:27 AM   #2
CooperS7777

What do you mean when you say "turned off the breaker to keep it on"?

What style Hi-Tide lift do you have?

The only way it should ever lower is if the motors are sent power to lower the lift. You can actually remove the motors from the lift / gear box and the cradle will still not lower on its own. On all of the newer style Hi-Tide lifts, there is a keyed power shut off on the side of the control box that allows you to easily secure power to the lift. If you read through the manual, Hi-Tide recommends the power ALWAYS be secured when not using the lift for this exact reason. If the issue is a short in your control box, you should be able to find the drawings on the HiTide website, and most qualified electricians could trouble shoot it for you if your not handy with a technical drawing and multi meter.

Watermark is the local Hi-Tide dealer, have you checked with them to see if they could send someone to help trouble shoot it?
CooperS7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CooperS7777 For This Useful Post:
Pete C (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 05:37 AM   #3
Pete C

It says X2 gear drive and is approx 13 years old. I turned off the breaker to prevent the lift from lowering itself into the water. Will definitely use the key from now on but need to get it fixed as well. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:55 AM   #4
CooperS7777

I'm not sure when they went to the keyed control box, but if you do have the small circular pin lock on the side of the box, that is what its for. I also do not know if they are all keyed the same from Hi-Tide, but I know one key works for for the controls on both of my Hi-Tide lifts, and that I was able to get a spare from Watermark very easily.
CooperS7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CooperS7777 For This Useful Post:
Kneedeep (06-07-2021), TKD (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 06:41 AM   #5
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Found our boat floating off the lift this AM. Put it back on and it immediately kept lowering itself. It's a HiTide life. Turned off the breaker to keep it on. Other than calling the service departments which are very backed up, any ideas?
Do you hear the motor(s) go on and let it down?

Do you have a remote that could be malfunctioning and sending a signal? Try taking the batteries out.

I have a 12,000 pound Hi Tide lift that is about 12 years old. There is a significant "thunk" when the relays send power to the two motors either going up or down.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Pete C (06-05-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2021, 07:19 AM   #6
Pete C

Yes, there is a noise coming from the control box and when I release the manual raise button, it would just lower.. will try the batteries now - thanks for the tips
Old 06-07-2021, 06:10 AM   #7
Pete C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Do you hear the motor(s) go on and let it down?

Do you have a remote that could be malfunctioning and sending a signal? Try taking the batteries out.

I have a 12,000 pound Hi Tide lift that is about 12 years old. There is a significant "thunk" when the relays send power to the two motors either going up or down.

will try that - thanks