Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2018, 08:40 AM   #1
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,338
Thanks: 133
Thanked 911 Times in 337 Posts
Default Another Close Call

Our baby loon must have 9 lives. My neighbor called me at work because our resident bald eagle was dive bombing the loon and mom and dad weren't in sight. I told her to take the boat out and hang close to the baby if possible but mom and dad finally showed up.
Baby is big enough to dive now so hopefully it will be ok...….made it this long but mother nature can be cruel.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
tis (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 08:43 AM   #2
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,938
Thanks: 544
Thanked 524 Times in 306 Posts
Default

I so wanted to hear that mom and dad showed up and kicked eagle butt...

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,397
Thanks: 418
Thanked 732 Times in 505 Posts
Default

I think we will see less and less loons as there are more and more eagles. It makes me sad because I love the loons. I know the loons can be vicious too.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 614
Thanked 245 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Nature balances it’s resources naturally. To try and protect “your” loon chick is not only futile, but to some, extreme behavior that might even result in more trauma to the loon. Let nature take it’s course with no interference and enjoy it’s magnificence.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
mhtranger (08-28-2018), Rusty (08-25-2018), thinkxingu (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,987
Thanks: 589
Thanked 675 Times in 416 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Our baby loon must have 9 lives. My neighbor called me at work because our resident bald eagle was dive bombing the loon and mom and dad weren't in sight. I told her to take the boat out and hang close to the baby if possible but mom and dad finally showed up.
Baby is big enough to dive now so hopefully it will be ok...….made it this long but mother nature can be cruel.
Would you like it if you were about to eat a nicely prepared meal when someone pushed you away and took the food from you. The eagle needs to eat just as we do. Would it be OK to stop loons from eating fish?
__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #6
Not to Worry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 112
Thanks: 46
Thanked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Default Loon or Eagle

The way I see it the Loons are endangered and there is more than enough stuff for the Eagle to eat without dining on Loon and yes if it was an endangered fish and I could ward of the Loon legally I would.

Having said that usually a waste to post even when trying be humorous about the pro of saving a Loon versus allowing Eagle to feast on it without offending someone
Not to Worry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Not to Worry For This Useful Post:
stingray (08-26-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 05:04 PM   #7
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 614
Thanked 245 Times in 157 Posts
Default

I see way more loons than eagles...just sayin’
The loon’s official status in NH is “threatened” not endangered.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:19 PM   #8
Alaskan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default wildlife harassment

I love the animals too and encourage all to enjoy their majesty. Please remember that we must not interfere with natural predation. If an eagle is hunting a loon, you cannot interfere or you may be harassing an eagle. It may be difficult to allow animals be animals, but you must let mother-nature run her course. I understand the plight of the loons recovering from years past and the importance of keeping them safe. I encourage you to contact fish and game if you have concerns about any animals being threatened.
Alaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:40 AM   #9
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,229
Thanks: 794
Thanked 394 Times in 282 Posts
Question So Much for "Balance"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I think we will see less and less loons as there are more and more eagles. It makes me sad because I love the loons. I know the loons can be vicious too.
The Loons' preference is for clear lakes, where even adult Loons can be "tracked" by Bald Eagles.

As it often happens, I had a Loon pop-up directly in front of my sailboat Friday, who glanced at "danger", and dove immediately. (It didn't take its usual minute "break" to breathe, making it more likely to become a prey victim—although they can fight back).



A Bald Eagle would prefer to hound an Osprey to steal its fish. (Which I have witnessed, although I have yet to see an Osprey this season).

Quote:
In years past, one could hear this [Loon] call with much frequency throughout New England, but now the only place you can go where the loon is not in serious danger is the coasts of Maine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Nature balances it’s resources naturally. To try and protect “your” loon chick is not only futile, but to some, extreme behavior that might even result in more trauma to the loon. Let nature take it’s course with no interference and enjoy it’s magnificence.
In 1995, the USF&WS removed Bald Eagles from the Endangered List, whereas Loons are not listed.

In Canada, which has many clear lakes, Bald Eagles were also removed—but Loons have made their Endangered List.
__________________
.Sailing—Good for you and good for the world...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:33 AM   #10
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,397
Thanks: 418
Thanked 732 Times in 505 Posts
Default

Tell those danged eagles to stick to fish. There are plenty of fish around.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #11
Barney Bear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 598
Thanks: 242
Thanked 154 Times in 92 Posts
Default Inquiry

Does anyone on this forum speak eaglese? 🦅
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:08 AM   #12
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,338
Thanks: 133
Thanked 911 Times in 337 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan View Post
I love the animals too and encourage all to enjoy their majesty. Please remember that we must not interfere with natural predation. If an eagle is hunting a loon, you cannot interfere or you may be harassing an eagle. It may be difficult to allow animals be animals, but you must let mother-nature run her course. I understand the plight of the loons recovering from years past and the importance of keeping them safe. I encourage you to contact fish and game if you have concerns about any animals being threatened.
Don't think I'll call fish and game.....I'll call Marine Patrol so they can issue a ticket to the eagle for harassing loons.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:32 AM   #13
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 614
Thanked 245 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Don't think I'll call fish and game.....I'll call Marine Patrol so they can issue a ticket to the eagle for harassing loons.
Tongue in cheek comment, no doubt, but calling any police entity with a request like that would certainly cause an eruption of laughter on the other end.

Why not join green peace and save a whale?
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #14
swnoel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 224
Thanks: 21
Thanked 53 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Hmmm... hard to believe Eagles eat birds. I wonder if they taste like fish?
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:23 PM   #15
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,987
Thanks: 589
Thanked 675 Times in 416 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Tell those danged eagles to stick to fish. There are plenty of fish around.
I'll be sure to tell the next eagle that when I see him/her eating a cute little fuzzy Loon chick.
Loons like to eat cute little baby ducklings, should I tell them to stick to fish also?
__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #16
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,397
Thanks: 418
Thanked 732 Times in 505 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I'll be sure to tell the next eagle that when I see him/her eating a cute little fuzzy Loon chick.
Loons like to eat cute little baby ducklings, should I tell them to stick to fish also?
Yes,please tell him not to eat the cute little baby ducklings too. Tell him fish are good and there are tons of fish.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Rusty (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #17
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,229
Thanks: 794
Thanked 394 Times in 282 Posts
Arrow Listen to This YouTube Link...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
Does anyone on this forum speak eaglese? ��
Pick up your cellphone and dial "1" for eaglese.

But really, eagles are mostly silent.

But I did hear one making a heck of a racket in Florida—then, years later, heard the same call in Wolfeboro. Thinking, "That sounds familiar", an eagle suddenly appeared to verify what I suspected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RArGl2vkGI

Oh, and I would see an Osprey this morning, flying over Johnson's Cove.
__________________
.Sailing—Good for you and good for the world...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:13 PM   #18
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,987
Thanks: 589
Thanked 675 Times in 416 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Yes,please tell him not to eat the cute little baby ducklings too. Tell him fish are good and there are tons of fish.
I'll do my best.
__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:43 AM   #19
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH / Bozeman MO
Posts: 4,709
Thanks: 2,227
Thanked 818 Times in 569 Posts
Default predatory birds.

Wish we can educate them to concentrate on the invasive species such as rock bass!
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #20
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,338
Thanks: 133
Thanked 911 Times in 337 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Tongue in cheek comment, no doubt, but calling any police entity with a request like that would certainly cause an eruption of laughter on the other end.

Why not join green peace and save a whale?
Did you really think I was serious? : )
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:05 PM   #21
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,397
Thanks: 418
Thanked 732 Times in 505 Posts
Default

Calling all eagles, would you please eat only geese and rock bass. Any other fish are catch and release. Thank you for your cooperation.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
SAMIAM (08-28-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #22
Lakeflier
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: NH, NC
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Tell those danged eagles to stick to fish. There are plenty of fish around.


Last summer we heard frantic shrieking from a gull, and looked out to see an eagle just taking off with one gull in its talons and the other (its mate?) chasing from above, screaming and pounding on the eagle for all it was worth. The eagle let go of its prey and tried to shake the pursuing gull by flipping its wing upward, but was unable to. The gull chased the eagle right into dense woods by our cottage, where they flapped around before leaving our sight. One of the many extraordinary sagas we get to witness here in our quiet section of Winni.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Lakeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakeflier For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-27-2018), FlyingScot (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #23
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 614
Thanked 245 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Did you really think I was serious? : )
Not at all...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.57245 seconds