Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2021, 07:27 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Champlain vs. Winni

Holla!
The fam's heading out to Champlain for four days in a couple weeks, and I'm wondering if we can get a day/night of boating in. Anyone have thoughts on the navigation difficulty? I've boated for 7 years but only ever on Winni. Any ideas on cost? Where to go?
I'm also open to any suggestions on things to do in the area—I've never been there before and don't no a thing about what's around.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:02 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Because ships pump their bilges in the St Lawrence Seaway, Lake Champlain has a number of invasives that we hope don't make it to Winnipesaukee. Please be sure to Clean, Drain and Dry.

As an historian, I'm sure you know the significance of the Battle of Lake Champlain (9/14/1814) and the closely related in time, loss at Waterloo for Napoleon that added some turmoil to the status of US independence.
I hope you'll give us an appropriate report.
Have fun.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
bushwack1 (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 10:13 PM   #3
Winilyme

Default The Lake is BIG. Makes Winni feel small.

I've never been out on the lake but our daughter lives in Burlington and we were there visiting her this past weekend. Lot's to do and places to dine in the downtown area. Also, many nearby hiking trails if you need to get off the boat and stretch your legs. Not sure where you'll dock if you choose to visit Burlington by water but there are several (smallish I think) marinas just down the hill from downtown and there always seem to be numerous vessels coming and going.

We had fun walking out to North Beach, not far from downtown, and enjoyed the panoramic views of the mountains across the lake in NY. The water looked very clear but we've been there later in the summer when it looks far less appealing (algae blooms and the sort that comes with runoff from city streets and so forth). If swimming is in your plans, check first for local water quality updates. It's sad that my daughter, a recent environmental sciences graduate, would think twice before swimming anywhere in Champlain. She did say that the NY side of the lake is cleaner than the VT side.

If you're looking for super clean/clear water, consider Lake George. There are some great historic sites to visit in that area such as Fort Ticonderoga.

Good luck and have fun.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:40 PM   #4
bushwack1

have your Camera ready & your eyes on the look-out for Champ. But most of all ENJOY
bushwack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:03 AM   #5
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I drove by Lake Champlain yesterday on the way to Alexandria Bay, NY.

I am always surprised that for a body of water so large and open it is often very flat, hardly a ripple. I know it can get rough but often is very calm.

I have been out boating on the lake and found it to be a lot less scenic and enticing than Winnipesaukee. Almost too open and not enough to look at. But, that is just the portion I have been on, I may have missed the "good parts". I just looked at an online site and it appears that the water temperature has gone from 55 to 67 in the last 7 days. That is quite an increase.

In the 1970's four of us trailered a boat to Burlington, Vermont, launched into Champlain, and traveled up the Richelieu River which connects Champlain to the St. Lawrence Seaway. You have to stop at the border crossing station on the water before you proceed into Canadian waters. I don't know if that trip is even possible with conditions today.

We ended up docked in Montreal at a site that was built for the 1967 Worlds Fair. That is a great trip I would be happy to do over again. A lot of great scenery and local culture.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2021, 07:09 AM   #6
8gv

Where will you be based?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:25 AM   #7
Jdarby

Fort Ticonderoga is truly a historic gem! You might also want to check out the Shelburne Museum on the shores of the lake. Amazing collection of historic buildings and other displays. Be watchful for Champ….our very own version of the Loch Ness monster! As another has said, nearby Lake George might be a more attractive boating experience. I have boated Lake George but never Champlain. I’ve flown over Champlain quite a bit and it’s just a big lake, not much of interest in terms of hidden coves and islands.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdarby For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 09:12 AM   #8
cowisl

It's a blast. The ramp in Burlington and colchester are both easy to use
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:32 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Boater Friendly

It's possible to moor overnight on Lake Champlain. There are very little rules and regulations. Excellent launch ramps and people are very friendly. Does not get densely populated as Winni, so boneheads are few and far between.

Enjoy!
Old 06-09-2021, 10:47 AM   #10
Mike_VT

hello, I boat on boat these lakes extensively and they are so very different. Winni is much busier with more towns to visit, which one of the reasons that I like boating on the lake and the water quality is excellent. Going from Meredith to Wolfeboro no big deal and not a "haul". Champlain very large and it takes time to go place to place, and because the lake is shale bottom and for other reasons the water quality in certain areas is not as nice as Winni. Not sure where your home base is going to be but the coast guard ramp right downtown is very good and mallets bay ramp is very good to, but can be super busy and downright crazy at times.

Champlain is more wide open with less rock hazards and essentially no markers. Get a map though. Much more relaxing of a cruise as pointed out way less "boneheads". You can find yourself even on a busy weekend being the only boat in sight. If you put in in Burlington I'd check out willsboro bay in NY directly across from Burlington...Indian bay marina good spot for lunch. Further down the lake Bouquet Bay (NY side)at the mouth of the Bouquet river is a good sandbar. Note the red buoy about 200 yards off shore, if heading south make sure to go around that lake goes from 200+ft to 15' in a matter of 50 yards or so. All sand but when heading into shore keep that buoy well to the stern starboard side . The sandbar goes way out and very shallow.

Finally watch the weather waves can easily kick up and it has the potential to makes the broads look like lake waukewan. Happy to talk offline as well. Mike
Mike_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike_VT For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 12:39 PM   #11
thinkxingu

I think we'll be staying at Apple Island Resort, which is just over the Route 2 bridge in South Hero.

I'm not planning on bringing a boat or ski, so I'd have to rent. That's becoming less-inviting as I start adding up the other things we want/can do.

Any other sites to see while out there?
Anyone have an inexpensive/simple rental option?

Old 06-09-2021, 01:39 PM   #12
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I think we'll be staying at Apple Island Resort, which is just over the Route 2 bridge in South Hero.

I'm not planning on bringing a boat or ski, so I'd have to rent. That's becoming less-inviting as I start adding up the other things we want/can do.

If you have time, check out Ausable Chasm in NY. Take the ferry from Burlington to Port Kent. https://www.ausablechasm.com/
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 02:47 PM   #13
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default McDonough?

If I recall correctly, The Battle of Lake Champlain was a turning point in the War of 1812. I'd think about renting a boat in Plattsburg to see how it all unfolded, or visit a related museum. The Brits beat Napoleon at Waterloo the same week which freed up British regulars to come to North America. BUT, they never came. McDonough beat the British fleet, the Brit land forces thus couldn't get together and the US got the upper hand in Treaty of Paris negotiations. Clever seamanship from McDonough who double anchored his ships and part way into the battle, he loosed one set of anchors, the ships came into a new line all primed and ready to fire. "Bang! Gotcha!" The British lowered their colors.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:34 PM   #14
Epic Seaplane Adventures

If you go make sure you get a tour!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...h_Vermont.html

Epic Seaplane Adventures
Epic Seaplane Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Epic Seaplane Adventures For This Useful Post:
subaruliving (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 07:06 PM   #15
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:

Ha Ha, you are not talking to the right person.... I know right where you are staying, and lived in South Hero for 10 years, while working in Essex Junction.

I never tried to rent a boat on Champlain, I had hauled my boat over several times over the years. If your boating experience has been on Winnipesaukee, my suggestion is to look for a tour boat excursion. Champlain can be very temperamental. And you can find yourself a long way from help, or a safe place to tie up, unless your really know where you are.

There are many options from a tour boat perspective, or at least there where right out of Burlington Harbor.... Now with that mouth full out, if you haven't already found enough things to do here are some tid bits for you:

1. Hero's Welcome up in North Hero is a great place, and used to make the best gourmet sandwiches.
2. Keeler bay Variety just up the road, (assuming it is still in business) is a grreat close place to get any food related item you might have forgotten.... and even some camping stuff....

3. If you like to walk along the water, there are great paths in Burlington, and Colchester, and even walking along the Causeway if cars going by at 50 MPH doesn't bother you is ok too....

4. A great option to get out on the lake, and understand the vastness that is Champlain is to actually take a ride on the Ferry from South Hero to Plattsburgh. You can do so realtively inexpensively if you just do it as a round trip walk on... Round trip it ends up being about a 1 hour experience, and offers a great view North and south on the like....

5. Now if you want the full lake Ferry experience, what you do is take your car on the Ferry, get off in New York, and drive down to Fort Kent and take the Ferry over into Burlington.. You will cross Champlain at its widest point.. But this adventure is time consuming and will take all in total about 4-5 hours... the Crossing on the Ferry out of Fort Kent is between 1.5 to 2 hours by itself.

6. No if your ventures are going to take you into the Mountains around Stowe, I suggest looking up the Notch road, that goes between the Stowe and Smugglers Notch... It is an awesome drive and only open in the summer months...

7. If in Stowe make sure you stop by the bakery at the Trapp family lodge... Just be prepared to losen you belt a notch.....

I could go on and on, I loved the area, and have thought about retiring there.... right now though Winnipesaukee and Massachusetts are where I need to hang my cap, and dock my boat.

Feel free to P.M. if you would like more information about the area or attractions you think you might want to visit but aren't totally sure about.
thinkxingu (06-16-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 07:09 PM   #16
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Seaplane Adventures View Post
If you go make sure you get a tour!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...h_Vermont.html

Epic Seaplane Adventures
Don't know if SeaPlanes-R-Fun is still in operation, the owner I believe moved down south..... However I know the guy that owns Northern lights air field, and the last I know he did rides in his bi-plane, and he may even do float planes rides as well, as I know he owned a few, and was involved in Seaplanes-R-Fun as well.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:34 PM   #17
8gv

The Shelburne Museum was interesting but you might want to bring some fishing gear and the small boat or canoe.

On the south side of Rte. 2 just before it goes over to the islands you will find Sand Bar WMA.

Launch there and head SSE toward the mouth of the Lamoille River. That whole area is full of weeds with hungry bass and pike.

Go out just enough to keep the weeds from driving you nuts but don't go too deep (5' is too deep).

Any large spinner or floating lure will do because the fish there are more hungry than they are smart.

Good luck!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
DotRat (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 07:46 PM   #18
farechofisherman

Default Champlain

We fished Champlain for many years, and often rented boats right from the Apple Island Resort. Not sure if they still do, but they are on the inner lake, which is fun for a day, but a long way from the main part of the lake in a rental. All kinds of good restaurants on South Hero Island (which is where the resort is).

Last edited by farechofisherman; 06-09-2021 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
farechofisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #19
Y2K

Burlington VT has been mentioned a few times, but not the fact that Burlington is pretty much the craft beer Mecca of the North East. Burlington and the surrounding area is home to many amazing craft brewers, such that my friends and I often make pilgrimages there from Connecticut. Stowe (not terribly far away) also hosts some outstanding breweries (The Alchemist, who's unfiltered IPA Heady Topper is rated 4th best bear in the world and only available in VT) as well as Ben and Jerry's (technically on the way to Stowe) and the Vermont teddy Bear Company near by.
Y2K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Y2K For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (06-16-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 08:23 AM   #20
hd333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K View Post
Burlington VT has been mentioned a few times, but not the fact that Burlington is pretty much the craft beer Mecca of the North East. Burlington and the surrounding area is home to many amazing craft brewers, such that my friends and I often make pilgrimages there from Connecticut. Stowe (not terribly far away) also hosts some outstanding breweries (The Alchemist, who's unfiltered IPA Heady Topper is rated 4th best bear in the world and only available in VT) as well as Ben and Jerry's (technically on the way to Stowe) and the Vermont teddy Bear Company near by.
No help on boating Champlain, I’ve only been a passenger on the lake.

But Beer in and around Burlington, a topic near and dear to my heart I have some comments on.

If you are looking to sample some of Vermont’s finest brews head to Foam, they are down by the water in Burlington.

Upper Pass is putting out some great brews as well, Cloud Drop and First Drop to name a few.

Alchemist makes great beers but don’t fall into the Heady Topper trap, it is good but Focal Banger IMHO is better. Both can be had at almost any restaurant for $5 a can or $12 a 4 pack at stores, so no need to go to Stowe to the brewery for it unless you are looking for a nice day trip. When/if in Stowe Doc Ponds is a must stop for lunch. Great food and beer.

For one stop beer shopping head to City Market Co-op in Burlington.

Avoid Vermont Pub and Brewery at all costs. Mediocre beer and food.

Skinny Pancake is a nice take for breakfast, just get there early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:42 PM   #21
map

My favorite lake! I love the Champlain Valley starting in Charlotte up to Canada. The views of the Adirondacks and the Green Mountains, Mt. Mansfield and Camels Hump are awesome.

It also is pretty peaceful with lots of sailboats. Also has tons of islands.

St. Albans Bay, Mallots Bay and the Champlain Islands (Grand Isle, South Hero, North Hero, Isle La Motte). Great, but small beach is Alburgh Dunes. A number of them in the state parks in the islands. I’ve used my float in the lake many times in different areas.

And the history….❤️❤️

We don’t own a boat, but when we lived in NY we always took the Essex Ferry into Charlotte on our way to Smugglers Notch for our vacation. Did that for 22 years and never tired of it. 20 minutes each way and the best views of all the ferries on the lake. It was a highlight of our trip into Vermont. I miss it now.

PS Voted Best Brewery in the entire world is Hill Farmstead in Greensboro.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to map For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 06:56 PM   #22
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Ha Ha, you are not talking to the right person.... I know right where you are staying, and lived in South Hero for 10 years, while working in Essex Junction.

I never tried to rent a boat on Champlain, I had hauled my boat over several times over the years. If your boating experience has been on Winnipesaukee, my suggestion is to look for a tour boat excursion. Champlain can be very temperamental. And you can find yourself a long way from help, or a safe place to tie up, unless your really know where you are.

There are many options from a tour boat perspective, or at least there where right out of Burlington Harbor.... Now with that mouth full out, if you haven't already found enough things to do here are some tid bits for you:

1. Hero's Welcome up in North Hero is a great place, and used to make the best gourmet sandwiches.
2. Keeler bay Variety just up the road, (assuming it is still in business) is a grreat close place to get any food related item you might have forgotten.... and even some camping stuff....

3. If you like to walk along the water, there are great paths in Burlington, and Colchester, and even walking along the Causeway if cars going by at 50 MPH doesn't bother you is ok too....

4. A great option to get out on the lake, and understand the vastness that is Champlain is to actually take a ride on the Ferry from South Hero to Plattsburgh. You can do so realtively inexpensively if you just do it as a round trip walk on... Round trip it ends up being about a 1 hour experience, and offers a great view North and south on the like....

5. Now if you want the full lake Ferry experience, what you do is take your car on the Ferry, get off in New York, and drive down to Fort Kent and take the Ferry over into Burlington.. You will cross Champlain at its widest point.. But this adventure is time consuming and will take all in total about 4-5 hours... the Crossing on the Ferry out of Fort Kent is between 1.5 to 2 hours by itself.

6. No if your ventures are going to take you into the Mountains around Stowe, I suggest looking up the Notch road, that goes between the Stowe and Smugglers Notch... It is an awesome drive and only open in the summer months...

7. If in Stowe make sure you stop by the bakery at the Trapp family lodge... Just be prepared to losen you belt a notch.....

I could go on and on, I loved the area, and have thought about retiring there.... right now though Winnipesaukee and Massachusetts are where I need to hang my cap, and dock my boat.

Feel free to P.M. if you would like more information about the area or attractions you think you might want to visit but aren't totally sure about.

There are no cars on or near the Colchester Causeway. It is actually an old railroad bed that was converted to a bike/ walking path that goes over the water. The causeway is part of the Burlington bike path that juts out into Lake Champlain and connects to South Hero Island via a small bike ferry (free) at the end.

It’s an awesome ride and again- the views!
Old 06-16-2021, 07:16 PM   #23
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by map View Post
There are no cars on or near the Colchester Causeway. It is actually an old railroad bed that was converted to a bike/ walking path that goes over the water. The causeway is part of the Burlington bike path that juts out into Lake Champlain and connects to South Hero Island via a small bike ferry (free) at the end.

It’s an awesome ride and again- the views!
I love this idea, but I can't see hitching up four bikes and gear for it—is there a good walking section? Any other ferry tips?

Old 06-16-2021, 09:10 PM   #24
map

Quote:
I love this idea, but I can't see hitching up four bikes and gear for it—is there a good walking section? Any other ferry tips?

You can certainly walk on it. Also there’s a bike rental place not too far from just where the causeway portion starts, but you would still need a car to get to that parking lot where it starts and bring the bikes.

Alternately, you can rent bikes in Burlington at the start of the bike path and take it all the way to the Causeway. Very flat and doable. BTW- it’s referred to as the Island Line Trail.

https://www.localmotion.org/trailside_center

https://www.localmotion.org/island_line_trail_map

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/verm...utdoor-fun-vt/

Last edited by map; 06-16-2021 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Addition
The Following User Says Thank You to map For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (06-17-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 04:07 PM   #25
thinkxingu

AWESOME trip to Champlain this week! Started with a long drive up 100 and across Smuggler's Notch road with a stop at Trapper's Bakery before heading over to Colchester for the night.

Day two was breakfast at The Skinny Pancake followed by a walk down Church Street, a visit to the Echo Center, lunch at Koto hibachi, swimming at the second hotel, and passing rainy weather at the Spare Time arcade.

Day three started with a Camel's Hump summit followed by some time poolside, virtual racecar driving, dinner at Jr's Original, and a walk halfway across the Colchester Causeway for the Almost-Strawberry-Supermoon.

Day four took us up and around Champlain to a bunch of stops on the water, Ausable Canyon, His Majesty's Fort, the Fort Point lighthouse, and the Champlain Bridge followed by a Cremee at Little Gordo's and dinner at Charlie Chicken.

Day five started with a fishing outing courtesy of an incredibly generous fellow Winni Forum member (forever grateful for the helpful and kind people here) and a (quicker) drive home via highway.

An awesome week greatly helped by the suggestions above—thanks, all!

A few pics.Name:  20210623_202340.jpeg
Views: 1483
Size:  42.0 KBName:  20210623_172611.jpeg
Views: 1621
Size:  63.9 KBName:  20210625_050812.jpeg
Views: 1570
Size:  82.5 KBName:  20210623_092517.jpeg
Views: 1587
Size:  75.8 KB

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (06-29-2021), Descant (06-25-2021), FlyingScot (06-25-2021), garysanfran (06-26-2021), MeredithMan (06-26-2021), trfour (06-25-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 06:02 PM   #26
map

Awesome! Glad you had a fabulous time! I miss it!
Old 06-29-2021, 07:14 PM   #27
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by map View Post
Awesome! Glad you had a fabulous time! I miss it!
Thanks, friend! I enjoyed the change of scenery, but I definitely appreciate the intimacy, access to ports, etc. of Winnipesaukee.

Old 06-30-2021, 06:53 AM   #28
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts
Thumbs up

That last picture on the mountain top is awesome!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:19 AM   #29
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
That last picture on the mountain top is awesome!
Camel's Hump is an absolutely awesome hike.

That's "L'il Buddy," my not-so-little-anymore just-turned-eleven-year-old. You know that symbolic moment in the driveway basketball game when the child dunks on the father? We're not far off from that moment when the child becomes the better hiker!