Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #1
AC2717

Default Question for the State of NH

Why can't you renew your boat registration online?

This confuses me as to why this process has not been automated, in some instances you can renew your license and go for a total of 10 years without ever stepping foot in a registry or even go as long as youc an without ever stepping foot in a registry to renew your car registration, but with something as simple as a boat registration, which is more frequent than the two above, you have to do it via mail or in person

I have emailed Marine Patrol to ask this question, awaiting an answer

Anybody's thoughts?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
kjbathe

Thumbs up Online registration is an excellent idea

I'd even be willing to pay a small "fee" for the privilege of paying online. And while your question may not be one for Marine Patrol to answer because the DMV handles registrations, it did spark an idea.

Wouldn't it be cool if Marine Patrol embarked on it's own clandestine operation to develop said online registration system? Then it could cut out town clerks, other agents, and most importantly, the DMV itself and keep those local agent fees for itself. The money could then go right to the source.

I know, I know.... manpower, budget, expertise, charter, DMV rules, blah blah blah... there are thousands of reasons why this won't happen. BUT! It would be kind of cool if we could eliminate all the interim parties and have the fees funnel directly to Marine Patrol without anyone else skimming off the top.

In the interim, I'll still register with Gator Signs. Good people, local business, open Saturdays when the Town Clerk's Office is not, and I don't have to feed Concord (as much) in the process.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
Kamper

The State of New Hampshire says... "Because."

Give it time. It will happen eventually. They are finally realising how much cheaper automation is, but are taking baby steps to get there.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
AC2717

Default #1 reason it wont Happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe View Post
I'd even be willing to pay a small "fee" for the privilege of paying online. And while your question may not be one for Marine Patrol to answer because the DMV handles registrations, it did spark an idea.

Wouldn't it be cool if Marine Patrol embarked on it's own clandestine operation to develop said online registration system? Then it could cut out town clerks, other agents, and most importantly, the DMV itself and keep those local agent fees for itself. The money could then go right to the source.

I know, I know.... manpower, budget, expertise, charter, DMV rules, blah blah blah... there are thousands of reasons why this won't happen. BUT! It would be kind of cool if we could eliminate all the interim parties and have the fees funnel directly to Marine Patrol without anyone else skimming off the top.

In the interim, I'll still register with Gator Signs. Good people, local business, open Saturdays when the Town Clerk's Office is not, and I don't have to feed Concord (as much) in the process.
Because it would be to easy and there would not be a big enough pocket to everyone or department to stick their hands into, not to mention the DMV not getting their pound of Flesh for something that should have nothing to do with them in the first place.

Ok maybe the top three reasons
Old 03-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
TomC

Default at least you can do it by mail..

as far as i know, there is no way other than in person to do a snowmobile registration - which is really inconvenient... I couldn't even send my brother (who lives in NH) to register my sled for me.....
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links