Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
AC2717

Default Two boats capsizing on 8/6??

I heard rumor that a ski boat and then also a Pontoon Boat sank or capsized just off the weirs today
is it true?
Old 08-07-2010, 04:40 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
I heard rumor that a ski boat and then also a Pontoon Boat sank or capsized just off the weirs today
is it true?
I heard at the Glendale Town Docks late yesterday of two boats capsizing. One near Governors Island and the other I believe but not certain in the broads near Wolfeboro. No idea on type of boat, but definitely true and not a rumor.

Dan
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
OCDACTIVE

This is all I could find. Nothing so far in the union leader.

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/LaconiaPDF/2010/8/7L.pdf
Old 08-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
challmec

I came upon the scene of a capsized vessel yesterday. Not sure what type of boat it was but it looked to be about 14 to 15 ft. with a V-drive single prop that was being towed to shore just North of the Governors Island bridge by a two up wave runner!
challmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
ApS

Unhappy BLASTED from the Northwest...

A huge blast of NW wind came up—almost instantaneously shortly after 4-PM. It was a serious wind, and must have caught everyone on the lake off-guard.

Though I'm warming-up to the thought of owning a pontoon boat, the shorter ones are "trouble" in choppy waters.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #6
ITD

I got caught in that yesterday afternoon, trying to go from Wolfeboro to Moultonboro, finally gave up, huge rollers, saw a large Hobie cat that had been demasted.
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Chaos

Default Two boats capsized

I was sailing yesterday, cashing in some of my carbon credits, and heard on the radio a sailboat capsized near Long Is. and then later a pontoon somewhere else, I didn't hear the location. It was very gusty! In theshadow of Rattlesnake it was tolerable, but once we cleared the northeast corner of the island, watch out. We turned back. We were doing about 8 knots with half the main sail out!
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
Fargo

Default swamped

I was home doing some paperwork when the boat swamped north of the GI bridge. Took MP about 7 minutes to arrive after my neighbor phoned them. They tried getting the swamped boat to our dock but the wind was howling and waves were 3-4 ft. They beached it at the GI bridge upside down. Pretty exciting, glad they weren't hurt. Saw the tow boat retrieve it last evening and struggle to turn it over in the dark. Looked to be about a 20ft ski boat, real low sides.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
macshpman

Coming back from wolfboro friday afternoon we came across the marine patrol towing that sunking boat in the no wake zone just north of governor island bridge. Could not make out what make it was as it was completely under water.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:33 PM   #10
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
I was sailing yesterday, cashing in some of my carbon credits, and heard on the radio a sailboat capsized near Long Is. and then later a pontoon somewhere else, I didn't hear the location. It was very gusty! In theshadow of Rattlesnake it was tolerable, but once we cleared the northeast corner of the island, watch out. We turned back. We were doing about 8 knots with half the main sail out!
Wow I'm surprised somebody figured out a way to capsize a pontoon boat. I figure who ever did that must have been doing something really wrong because they seem to me anyways to be very stable. Then again I've also seen those things in particular piled full of people too.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #11
AC2717

SO what was the total count of boats then
3? 4? 5?
that capsized?
Old 08-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #12
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Wow I'm surprised somebody figured out a way to capsize a pontoon boat. I figure who ever did that must have been doing something really wrong because they seem to me anyways to be very stable. Then again I've also seen those things in particular piled full of people too.
Get one beam-to the waves and rolling more than 30 degrees just as a big gust hits and I bet the wind could get under the deck and flip it right over.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
bman4784

Default I was on the jetski

I had the pleasure of being on that jetski that day. I was coming around Governor's Island into the Governor's Bridge Channel when the camp boat was about to exit the no-wake zone - although it happened fast, it appeared that a combination of overloading (for the conditions present) and exceptionally large waves were to blame for the accident. Large waves simply toppled over the bow and brought it down. After shuttling the kids to a nearby dock I was able to grab a ski line attached to the boat and held it back from hitting nearby docks with the jetski. Once the Marine Patrol had arrived we were able to transfer the tow to the MP boat...we tried finding a mooring ball to attach it to, but no dice...we tried to beach it across the channel on the shallow part, no dice...we finally beached it to the right of the bridge (laconia side) on a private beach. I don't want to comment on what the campers did right, and what the campers did wrong, I'll just say it was a bad set of circumstances, and I'm glad nobody was hurt. I've been on the lake for over 20 years and I've never seen something like that happen before.
bman4784 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bman4784 For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (08-10-2010), SteveA (08-14-2010), VitaBene (08-10-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 04:04 AM   #14
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Bman- thank you for being here to assist and doing so!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #15
Phantom

Didn't get a chance to catch up on the Forum since returning from our vacation -- thus this is a little late in posting.

You can add one more to the count of capsized that day. During the same timeframe as all the others-- a two man Jet-Ski flipped in front of Wiers near FL#1. I watched from shore for about 5 minutes while the occupants struggled to right it but every time they attempted the wind and huge waves simply tumbled it "belly up" over and over! Annoyed that at least 7 - 8 boats simply passsed by them as they attempted to flag/wave the boats down two of my younger neighbors & I set out and recovered them.

Turns out it was a father / son combination that had rented the Jet from Channell Marine. With the exception of a bruised rib (from trying to right the jet) everyone was okay.

I have to admit, it was quite tricky even in our 24ft bowrider trying to retrieve them. I've boated in some serious waters at Winni through the years but this was EXTREMELY interesting. Our Crownline rarely takes water over the bow -- well NOT this day ........... I must have nosed (while bobbing to retrieve the two individuals from the stern platform) three massive waves which simply buried the boat, and all I could do was watch the water run past me as it gushed through the "walk thru".

Anyway . all ended well ... but it does bother me how many people simply pass by a situation like that without caring to stop and ask if assistance is wanted or needed. To me, it's simple GO !
Old 08-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #16
jrc

Phantom, thankfully you helped them and great job!

One question, did you have to stop your engines to help them, I mean were they close enough to your stern that you stopped you engines for safety? If you did then you might have been even braver than it first appears.

Once again that's some good work on your part, glad you are out there.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #17
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Pontoon Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
You can really stuff the bow on a toon. (That one is for you R-Guy! ) Whether it be a big wake or big surf. Our experience was years ago with a big wake from a Carver type boat when we were the dreaded renters.

A few weeks ago I watched a small pontoon boat on a wavy day heading up The Broads. It was having a lot of trouble and I thought for sure I'd be having company. The young fellas on on board all climbed out onto the back of the boat, which worked well and really helped keep the bow up. They all looked to be having a good time and will be able to tell the tale for years to come.

The only thing I think they could have done better is to put on their life vests. It was not a good day for swimming without one.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote