Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > General Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #1
Misty Blue

Default Sloooow season:

Friends are up and they are agreeing with me that the Lake is very empty of people this year.

One said that you could fire a cannon down the Weirs and not hit anybody.

15 boats in Braun Bay on a sunny day in August? Empty dock space in Meredith? Easy landing at the Weirs? What is going on here?

I guess that I spend too much time alone drifting on my work boat but this is my log book entry.... (think the Mamma and the Pappas)

Where have all the turists gone?
Nothings happening.
Things are mighty slow.
They left Lake Winni. every one.
When they all return, when will they all return.

Where have all the boaters gone?
Nothings happening.
Where did they all go. (I don't know)
Hooked to moorings, every one.
When will they all return, when will they all return?

Where have all the swimmers gone?
Nothings happenig.
Where have all the swimmers gone?
Things are mighty slow (I don't know).
Braun Bay, Alton bar and the Weirs
You hear no laughing, hear not cheers.
When will they all return?
When will they all return?

Now I'm singing to myself! 'Gotta find another line of work!

Misty Blue.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:20 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Love the song!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #3
Jonas Pilot

I agree, what a beautiful song. The music and words were written by Pete Seeger, one of America's greatest story tellers. It was made famous by Peter, Paul and Mary. Thanks for sharing your version Misty.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:44 AM   #4
fatlazyless

At 77-degrees, the Lake Winnipesaukee water temperature says that the weather so far this summer has been pretty warm, which is good for the Winnipesaukee boater-tourists.

At $3.75 to 4.00/gal gasoline, getting out on the water can be just too much?

Like them or dislike them, the go-fast performance boaters were always the hard core boaters who really wanted to go boating, and would be out on the water a lot, and regardless the weather. Probably, the speed limits annoyed enough to make a noticeable difference.

Lake Winnipesaukee does not have a State of NH, free-to-use boat launch facility for trailer boaters day use, and the very popular Ames Farm ramp close to the Gilford-Alton border has been closed to the general public since 2009.

Lakes Winnisquam, Newfound and Squam all have very well designed State of NH, free-to-use boat launch facilities complete with double ramps, loading docks, rest rooms, and big trailer-vehicle parking spaces, all in one spot, and right on the waterfront, so some former Winnipesaukee boaters are probably choosing Winnisquam-Newfound-Squam which are easy to get to and close to Winnipesaukee and 100% totally free. These three state boat launch facilities were constructed over the last ten years with boater registration fee money. I believe a new state launch facility is currently under construction on Lake Sunapee, NH's fifth largest lake, in New London, NH.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
Jeanzb1

We couldn't agree more that the lake seems MUCH quieter this year. On a gorgeous, sunny, warm day (even weekend days) in July there are few boats. What's going on here?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Maybe you should go to Wolfeboro. 40 minutes to get through town most days.
Docks are always full with plenty of boats waiting to get in. Restaurants in town are packed. Plenty of pedestrian traffic using the cross walks. More craft fairs than you can shake a stick at. If Wolfeboro had a nice beach, the Weirs would be in Wolfeboro by now.
Slow?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
Hermit Cover

Default Entertainment....

It looks like we've found our "entertainment" for Tomorrow's Forum Fest!!! See you all there...ON STAGE LIVE.....Misty Blue
Old 08-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
CrawfordCentury

Seems to be fewer Mass, Conn. and RI tags around now that you mention it.

I wonder if the slowness is being experienced equally across the region. I'm thinking the Weirs attracts more folks that stay a duration of 2-7 days, while Wolfeboro seems to be more second-home based.

With $4 gasoline, were I to live in Boston, I might be less likely to take a day trip to the Weirs, but if I were a second homeowner, I wouldn't let that get in my way. (Assuming that if you have the $$$ for a lakehouse, an extra $20 in travel costs shouldn't be a deal breaker).
Old 08-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

I know where all the performance boaters have gone........elsewhere,and they took their money with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
RTTOOL (08-06-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I know where all the performance boaters have gone........elsewhere,and they took their money with them.
I suggest to all those businesses and employees who make their livings from tourist (and performance boat) revenues: please send all mortgage and other bills to our friends that were behind the lobbying effort to "change the lake". Looks like their wish is coming true...
Old 08-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
dpg

Every weekend I'm constantly saying to the wife the boat traffic seems slower around Suissevale.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #12
TOAD

With nearly 15% of the total US population dependent on food stamps in May, and based on the fact that the employment picture has not improved since then should be clue as to why boating is down and a dirth of out of state plates is being seen.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
Old 08-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOAD View Post
With nearly 15% of the total US population dependent on food stamps ...(
You could have a hell of a lake party on food stamps.

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=308173
Old 08-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #14
goldengirl

I agree! Have been on the lake for 20 years and have never seen such a quiet season. Very little boat traffic in our cove. It doesn't seem like there are as many renters as usual.
We went to Lago's last Saturday night....it was a spectacular summer night....and at 9 o'clock there were empty tables outside and near empty inside. I miss all the normal summer activity we've come to know on the lake!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #15
Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
At 77-degrees, the Lake Winnipesaukee water temperature says that the weather so far this summer has been pretty warm, which is good for the Winnipesaukee boater-tourists.

At $3.75 to 4.00/gal gasoline, getting out on the water can be just too much?

Like them or dislike them, the go-fast performance boaters were always the hard core boaters who really wanted to go boating, and would be out on the water a lot, and regardless the weather. Probably, the speed limits annoyed enough to make a noticeable difference.

Lake Winnipesaukee does not have a State of NH, free-to-use boat launch facility for trailer boaters day use, and the very popular Ames Farm ramp close to the Gilford-Alton border has been closed to the general public since 2009.

Lakes Winnisquam, Newfound and Squam all have very well designed State of NH, free-to-use boat launch facilities complete with double ramps, loading docks, rest rooms, and big trailer-vehicle parking spaces, all in one spot, and right on the waterfront, so some former Winnipesaukee boaters are probably choosing Winnisquam-Newfound-Squam which are easy to get to and close to Winnipesaukee and 100% totally free. These three state boat launch facilities were constructed over the last ten years with boater registration fee money. I believe a new state launch facility is currently under construction on Lake Sunapee, NH's fifth largest lake, in New London, NH.
Seriously FLL?

Your continued attempt at arguing that the SL has impacted the number of boats on the lake really getting old. The performance boating community is alive and well. Lakeport Landing has a Poker run today, Donzi owners had their yearly event, and the NASWA's run was bigger than ever this year. The number of performance boats has always been a small percentage of the total number of boats on the lake. Their presence or absence has little effect on the amount of boat traffic.

And now your suggesting the lack of State of NH launch facilities is discouraging people from trailering their boats to the lake? Just off of the top of my head Alton, Gilford, and Meredith have public launching facilites with all the amenities that you describe. Whether or not they are controlled by the State of NH is irrelavent. Further more, here many marinas that for a small fee will allow you to launch and retrieve your boat.

There's a phrase coined by James Carville that is appropriate: "It's the economy, stupid"

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)
Old 08-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
fatlazyless

Lakes Newfound, Squam and Winnisquam are all relatively close to Winnipesaukee, especially if someone is already trailering their boat from Manchester or Andover, Ma or someplace. Where they gonna go? To a totally free state launch that includes parking, ramps, dock and rest rooms all closely together in one waterfront spot, or go to one of the varioius ten or 20-dollar town or marina spots. The state ramps are designed pretty good too with high quality ramps and parking.

What's missing from the weekend Buoy 3 area this summer is the usual "head inside a chainsaw" sound effects that been here for the last 17-years. It seems like the lake has become a quieter lake with less growling big bad go-fast style boats roaring around out they-re.

Must say that I be missing the big rolling waves! Hate to be losing the big 2-3 foot waves rolling and crashing so if somebody knows how to restore the lake's wave machine back to the old days.....that would be nice!

100% totally free; free is my number one favorite word. In case you were wondering, the State of NH ramp facilities were constructed with boat registration fee money....which means it was your money if you registered a boat in New Hampshire.

PS ......something tells me Mr Yankee, that ten years from now we will be having this same continuous argument, and you will still be wrong in ten years, too!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #17
VtSteve

I suspect the slow season is because of economic factors.

As for noise? I thought that allowing switchable exhaust has brought throngs of noisy boaters from other states? I never bought into that argument, but it has been presented by many this year.

I was also told that the lake had returned to normal now that The law is in place. Apparently, families haven't been spotted on the lake either?
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-07-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #18
Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Lakes Newfound, Squam and Winnisquam are all relatively close to Winnipesaukee, especially if someone is already trailering their boat from Manchester or Andover, Ma or someplace. Where they gonna go? To a totally free state launch that includes parking, ramps, dock and rest rooms all closely together in one waterfront spot, or go to one of the varioius ten or 20-dollar town or marina spots. The state ramps are designed pretty good too with high quality ramps and parking.

What's missing from the weekend Buoy 3 area this summer is the usual "head inside a chainsaw" sound effects that been here for the last 17-years. It seems like the lake has become a quieter lake with less growling big bad go-fast style boats roaring around out they-re.

Must say that I be missing the big rolling waves! Hate to be losing the big 2-3 foot waves rolling and crashing so if somebody knows how to restore the lake's wave machine back to the old days.....that would be nice!

100% totally free; free is my number one favorite word. In case you were wondering, the State of NH ramp facilities were constructed with boat registration fee money....which means it was your money if you registered a boat in New Hampshire.

PS ......something tells me Mr Yankee, that ten years from now we will be having this same continuous argument, and you will still be wrong in ten years, too!
Once again you are wrong. I am not arguing, heck it's not worth my time to even attempt to debate with you. I just point out the ludicrous statements that you make.

Please tell me if I miss anything: You are of the opinion that the majority of the boats on the lake are the ones that go faster than 45mph, driven by drunkards, are loud, create enormous wakes, and are responsible for causing mayhem on the lake. You believe that the new SL law has changed everything and that the lack of boat traffic is the result. You profer that people are discouraged to trailer their boats to Winni because there are no free State of NH ramps, and conveniently ignore that I point out three that are. You attempt to spin the idea that somone who has $20,000+ invested in their boat won't pay $20 to launch it?

That we're in the worst economic times since the Great Depression is seemingly of no consequence to you.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)
Old 08-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #19
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
Please tell me if I miss anything: You are of the opinion that the majority of the boats on the lake are the ones that go faster than 45mph, driven by drunkards, are loud, create enormous wakes, and are responsible for causing mayhem on the lake. You believe that the new SL law has changed everything and that the lack of boat traffic is the result. You profer that people are discouraged to trailer their boats to Winni because there are no free State of NH ramps, and conveniently ignore that I point out three that are. You attempt to spin the idea that somone who has $20,000+ invested in their boat won't pay $20 to launch it?
This spin convinced our fearless leaders in NH Capitol to cut back on the Marine Patrol budget, as the Lake is now peaceful and under control. That is why the boneheads are back in full force.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #20
codeman671

We called Saturday at 3:45pm for a reservation at Giuseppe's and were able to get a 7:15pm with no problem. Got there 15 minutes early and were taken right in. Never had that kind of luck before... There was a 45 minute walk in wait downstairs.

When we got to the town docks at 6:45pm they were half full at most. At 8:30pm when we left there was 13 boats total including us on all of the docks, well below 1/4 capacity.

I heard from a relative that was at Sebago the other day that it was a zoo! 2 hour line to get lunch, all rental boats were booked, and traffic was crazy.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #21
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Yes It's Slow!

Have to agree with how slow things are... Went to Pops on Sunday around noon time and we were the only ones there. We then went to West Alton Sandbar for a swim and there was only one other boat!! Weather was good also!

Dan
Old 08-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #22
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Yes things are slow this year

Indeed things are slow on the lake this year. My theory is that there are many causes that have brought this about.

1-- The cost of gas... I don't care who you talk to the cost of gas is eating at everyone's wallet. Because of that there are fewer trailer boaters making a trip just for the day. Additionally folks are spending all day on the water boating from port to port they are more likely to go somewhere and anchor for the afternoon.

2-- Because of the economy the lakes region is out of the price range when it comes to spending a weeks vacation. Through the prosperity of the 90s rents for vacation rentals skyrocketed. Unfortunately they really have come back down. Thus people look for places where their income can be wisely spent on less expensive accommodations... Hence Lake Sebago is busier, and so probably is Lake Champlain.

3-- Also economy and gas priced based. People are tending to stick closer to home, making smaller less lengthy trips.

The bottom line is the lake is slower, I don't believe any of it is tied, to speed limits or the lack of public access. The bottom line is an afternoon on the water, has become cost prohibitive, as a day trip for an afternoon of fun. And the cost of staying in the lakes region is also cost prohibitive, when there are spots just as nice that are less expensive.

Every area has its hay day, for Winnipesaukee it was the 90s and early 2000s the hey day is over.... it will settle down for a while... It doesn't mean it is never going to boom again, we are just in a lul....

A final thought here, is people in my mind are more likely to vacation in an area, where they feel, as though they might eventually be able to afford a piece of the heaven that they are enjoying. The lakes region has become unaffordable for most people as a spot to own a second home.

Anyways just some thoughts and observations.... my own personal opinion, nothing more nothing less...
topwater (08-11-2011), VitaBene (08-11-2011)