Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
NHBUOY

Question 12' Cats-Paw/Sailing Tender/Pram...

A friend has a beautiful fiberglass hull with gorgeous wood interior/brightwork. Has a new aluminum mast and sail. Can put a small outboard on it as well. I have looked at some comp sales on the wooden hull versions for around $3000...The boat is in GREAT condition, but, it is a fiberglass hull. My best guess at what it's worth is probably around $1500. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. thanx...
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
NoBozo

Default Cats Paw Dinghy

Here's one listed For Sale. http://www.carpentersboatshop.org/sale.html.

I wouldn't want one painted..except maybe white, but you can get an idea of the price. Why cover up that beautiful wood? Here's one I built a few years ago in 1/8 scale. NB

Another For Sale: http://www.seabreeze.com.au/Classifi...ghy--13-0.aspx

EDIT: Apparently, some boats were carvel (smooth) planked rather than lapstrake as was the original.

http://www.sailing-new-england.com/yacht_tender.html
Attached Images

Last edited by NoBozo; 07-18-2011 at 03:29 PM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
NHBUOY (07-18-2011)
Old 07-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

You built the ones in the pictures? Beautiful!!!!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
You built the ones in the pictures? Beautiful!!!!!
Thank You: YES....I did. It was 1995. I was learning how to do Rivets in boat models. I have an interest in modeling old speedboats and some of them were riveted. NB
Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

Thank you NB.!. Excellent information right there.!. I am going back to really look at what it is & take a pic or two. I am "pretty sure" the hull is fiberglass, but the brightwork interior is similiarly finished to boats pictured. It is a nice little, very versatile, boat. I'll give you the 411 tomorrow.
NB, I REALLY appreciate the info. Thanx..and..Your skillz demonstrated in your boat pic, prove you ain't no clown....impressive..
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
NHBUOY

Lightbulb

NB..fyi..I had a chance to look at this boat. Took a couple pics. The hull is fiberglass, but interior is wood & varnish. It is VERY similiar to what you showed me in your link. The difference(s) are the "snub-nose" bow, a wooden bow "deck"/pulpit, and the stern is squared (not rounded), to mount a small out-board. I can send you pics to your EM or phone. I don't know how to post them here. My friend wants to sell this rig, not give it away. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated. ...Thanx NB.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
NoBozo

Posting a picture here is pretty easy. Proceed as you would to make a post. Type in the text you want as usual.

NOW scroll down below the text box and find "Manage Attachments". Push the button. A box will appear up to the left. Inside the top of the box is a button entitled "Browse". Click that and it should take you to the place on your computer where you keep your pictures. It may show you "Folders", or maybe "Thumbnails" of your collection. The most recent pictures should be at the bottom. Right click on the picture you want and Preview..good idea because the thumbnails are pretty small. When you decide if that's the correct picture, right click on the picture and "Select". The picture file number and location will show up in the earlier box to the left of the "Browse" button.

Now click "Upload". Then Wait. It may upload in a few seconds ..or it may take a minute or two. Patience here. When it's done uploading, the ID of the picture will show up again, BUT.. down and to the left a little with a little color icon next to it.

NOW look for the "Submit Reply"" button. It may be partially hidden underneath the lefthand box. If you left click OUTSIDE the lefthand box, it will disappear and expose the "Submit Reply" button. Click "Submit Reply".

That should do it. NB

PS: If you like the way that worked and want to ADD another picture to the finished and displayed post, just click EDIT as usual and do the whole procedure again with a new picture.

PPS: I like to go to where my pictures are on the computer...BEFORE I write my post, just to bring the pictures "To The Top" as it were. I think it helps the upload program find the pictures easier.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
NHBUOY

Will try to follow directions and make it so...check back about this time tomorrow, should be done by then......
Old 07-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
NHBUOY

..Wish me luck...
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
NHBUOY

..#2.... we trying...
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
NHBUOY

...#3... we will see..
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #12
NHBUOY

...in case I missed this one...
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #13
NoBozo

Default Bingo

That boat is NOT a "Catspaw Dinghy". I believe it's a "Mirror Dinghy". Check this link and click Mirrors For Sale to see (many) pictures. I have a 1969 Sailboat Directory which indicates it is 10'10" long by 4'7" beam and is made of "shaped plywood". The constructiom method was called "Stitch and Glue". It came as a kit ($337.50 incl sails etc) or fully finished and painted for $550 in 1969. It could be rigged as a Sloop or a Cat. The boat you are looking at may have been fiberglassed over the plywood. NB

http://usmirrorsailing.com/forsalewanted.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
NHBUOY (07-22-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

NB. You are a wealth of information! Thanx for the positive ID. If the hull is encapsulated, whoever built it, knew what he/she was doing. We are gonna pull it out into the light and really look at it. I appreciate the help. Do you know anyone who may want it, or where to advertise locally that would move it.? Not looking to retire on the proceed$ lol I wish I had thought of the antique auction in WBoro 2 weeks ago. rock-on NB.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

Thanx for the informative link(s). I talked with Charlie at Woody Works. Gonna drop it there and see if we get some traffic. I "think" we're looking at a $1350 or best reasonable offer dealio. Any thoughts on this, NB.? Thanx for all you've done......
Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
NoBozo

Glad I was able to help. The NH Boat Museum had their annual auction a week ago so I guess that's out. However, they still post boats For Sale on their website. Another possability is to find out if there are any summer camps, or Yacht Clubs on the lake, or elsewhere, that have a fleet of Mirror Dinghys used for training kids to sail. At one time this class was quite popular as evidenced by the "sail numbers" in the thousands on some of the boats pictured in the links.

I think you might get further info if you stopped by for a chat at the closest Yacht Club and asked them if they, or any other Yacht Clubs use Mirrors. I'm sure the "Yacht Clubs" all know what the other Clubs are using. I suspect all the Clubs have a "Historian" who could fill you in with a little history of the class on the lake. NB

http://www.nhbm.org/
Old 07-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #17
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

Logistics conspired & thwarted the NHBM auction unfortunately. Yacht/sailing clubs are a great idea! I was thinking that it would be a nice alternative to a Sun/Sail-Fish type beginners' boat. If I could have a "do-over" when I was looking for my kid's sailboat, and the Mirror had been on my radar, I would have picked the Mirror over the Sun-Fish we bought for around the same money. Thanx again, NB, for all the help.