Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Area WebCAMs
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2005, 11:22 AM   #1
FLAG!

Default Web Cam Modem?

Hi All, I'm getting ready to put up another webcam on the lake. Can anyone tell me if there is a cheaper modem that will work with the AXIS 2100 Net cam? Most compatible modems I am seeing are upwards of $80.00. I just sounds silly to buy a modem for that much money.
FLAG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:10 PM   #2
Bear Islander

I use a US Robotics 33.6 sportster voice external modem. They are older but plenty fast enough and simple to set up. You can try a search on ebay.

I picked up a few as a package deal on ebay a while ago and I have an extra. They were only a few dollars each. Sent me a private message with an address and I will sent you one as my contribution.

You will need to enter an init string of "ATE0" (that's a zero) into the camera. This turns off the echo feature, the camera will abort the connection if it gets an echo from the modem.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
spotsink

Default Web Cams 101

Bear Islander, you seem to be fairly conversant with all the details of setting up and operating one of these things. I have been thinking about setting one up at our place and perhaps being the first one with a cam on the east side of the lake... but have not had the time to really get the details of what is required. Our island does not have cable or internet service, only phone (and electric of course...) My question is - with the right camera can this be done with just a phone line?

I used to have one of those USR Sportster modems but might have tossed it when we moved last...

Anyway, whatever advice or information you might offer would be appreciated. If you'd rather send an e-mail you can send it to 'spotsink@nhecwb.com"
spotsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Janie

Bear Islander, where do you FTP or upload your images to for others to view? I have a very good understanding relative to setting up the infrastructure for the webcam and modem, but where am I going to FTP the images? I suppose I could upload them to the web space that Verizon gives me, but I am curious what you do. Thanks in advance.
Tuftonboro, NH
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
Lakegeezer

Default Stardot-tech netcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotsink
My question is - with the right camera can this be done with just a phone line?
The Stardot Netcam has great resolution and works great with a modem. You may be able to find one with a modem on ebay (I did). Using the Web space that your ISP gives you is a good method to store the pictures.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
Pine Island Guy

Default uploaded images

i use the verizon space that i get as part of the monthly dsl bill... the stardot cam works great and ftp's the images from both the pine island cams once a minute from dawn to dusk... (and let don z know where the url is, and he will share them with the rest of the winni.com folks)!

PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:39 PM   #7
Janie

Great! Perfect. I looked at the Stardot cameras before, but it's nice to know others are using them. A little pricey, but worth it. Thanks. ~jd
Tuftonboro, NH
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:27 PM   #8
Bear Islander

A phone line is all you need. I use two cameras, a Stardot that updates over a satellite modem and an Axis that uses a phone line. That way only a power outage will kill them both.

Axis cameras work pretty good but the Stardot cameras have the best picture.

You can usually pick up a Diamond Supra Express External Modem on ebay for very low money.

The webspace Verizon gives you is all you need. You program the camera with the ftp address, username and password. The camera will overwrite the image every time it sends another image. With a little html programing you can have your webpage automatically update so that a viewer doesn't need to keep hitting the refresh.

If you get more serious you can register your own domain name and set up a webhosting site, that is what I do. It works the same but you can have a custom name and add all the extras you want.

I have a page at this link with more info.

http://www.bearcam1.com/cam_info.htm
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote