Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
Hap

Default OHRV street legal?

Can anyone tell me if they have a two or four seat Gator or UTE that they can license legally with a plate for the road or is this never allowed?
Hap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap View Post
Can anyone tell me if they have a two or four seat Gator or UTE that they can license legally with a plate for the road or is this never allowed?
I had a Polaris I purchased for a local dealer had all the necessary safety features installed (flashers, mirrors, seat belts) as required by DMV. I received the plates the first year but the city of Laconia refused to renew the registration after the initial year.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
Hap

wow! Thats interesting. I am in Laconia. I want to use the UTE to load up with fishing gear to go to the marina. So the dealers are selling them as street legal but then when you go to DMV, they do not allow it?
Hap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:24 AM   #4
joey2665

Quote:
wow! Thats interesting. I am in Laconia. I want to use the UTE to load up with fishing gear to go to the marina. So the dealers are selling them as street legal but then when you go to DMV, they do not allow it?
Yes. Like i said the dealer helped obtain the first registration but Laconia refused to renew it. UGH.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #5
codeman671

It is my understanding there are restrictions related to the roads that you are looking to be on. A friend has a Prowler with plates, but he uses it on back roads in Lee, NH and is not running all over town with it.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
It is my understanding there are restrictions related to the roads that you are looking to be on. A friend has a Prowler with plates, but he uses it on back roads in Lee, NH and is not running all over town with it.
I think the issue is that opinions of the DMV will vary based on the town where you are registering the vehicle. I was never asked how or were the Polaris was going to be used but that the city would not allow it on any public road
Old 04-24-2019, 09:35 AM   #7
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Interesting question, only time I have ever seen any OHRV plated and driven on the road was either by the cops or DPW. Never seen a privately owned one plated. It's possible I suppose maybe a farm could but I don't think the state or towns want every Tom Dick and Harry buzzing up and down the road on those "legally". They are a big enough problem far as illegal on road operation and let's be honest they are not exactly road worthy.

I do know that up in Gorham they allow OHRV's on select roads and likely some of the other towns up there where the big trail systems up there go though so riders can get gas and whatever else they need but as a general rule that is not allowed to my knowledge anywhere else.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default Ohrv

From the state regarding OHRV road use...

"Operation is prohibited on public roads unless specifically permitted and posted for OHRV or snowmobile use. Examples of permitted uses are road crossings and trail connectors. In such areas the speed limit is 10 MPH, unless otherwise posted. OHRVs and snowmobiles must stay to the extreme right side of the public way; they cannot operate from trail head to trail head."
Old 04-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #9
lakershaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
From the state regarding OHRV road use...

"Operation is prohibited on public roads unless specifically permitted and posted for OHRV or snowmobile use. Examples of permitted uses are road crossings and trail connectors. In such areas the speed limit is 10 MPH, unless otherwise posted. OHRVs and snowmobiles must stay to the extreme right side of the public way; they cannot operate from trail head to trail head."
I think that is the main difference though - if it is OHRV, it is not street legal and it's registered as an OHRV. If it is plated, it's no longer an OHRV, it's a car (or whatever...). In Wolfeboro I've seen the suped-up golf-cart like thing that is basically a road version of a side-by-side with plates driving on the road. Wouldn't a Polaris with mirrors, doors and seatbelts just be a 4x4 version of that?
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #10
Woodsy

Just call Laconia City Hall and ask what the rules are regarding LSV's (Low Speed Vehicles). That is what you would register the OHRV under when you put plates on it.

Woodsy
Old 04-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #11
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

Gators are allowed to be registered in Wolfeboro and Tuftonboro as long as they have all the required equipment. They don't make it easy though. I think they aren't sure how to handle them.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:30 AM   #12
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Just call Laconia City Hall and ask what the rules are regarding LSV's (Low Speed Vehicles). That is what you would register the OHRV under when you put plates on it.

Woodsy
We went this route of the LSV with the Polaris side by and they still would not allow us to renew the registration
Old 04-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #13
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Gators are allowed to be registered in Wolfeboro and Tuftonboro as long as they have all the required equipment. They don't make it easy though. I think they aren't sure how to handle them.
I have a friend with one that is plated. I also have a friend that is a trooper and he says it is not legal. Seems to be a very gray area.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:34 PM   #14
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
I have a friend with one that is plated. I also have a friend that is a trooper and he says it is not legal. Seems to be a very gray area.
Who makes the decision that is not legal? DMV or police or who?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:11 PM   #15
Woodsy

I called the Laconia City Hall.... there is a "checklist" to determine OHRV eligibility for a LSV plate. They emailed it to me.

The biggest stumbling block appears to be the definition of "Farm Use" or "Light Industrial Use" and the subsequent requirements. It is pretty close to impossible to meet for a recreational use OHRV.

Woodsy
Old 04-24-2019, 05:14 PM   #16
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Who makes the decision that is not legal? DMV or police or who?

Well to get it registered it is that city and DMVs decision but once registered plated and in the road the police certainly can issue you a ticket that you will have to fight with the argument that “ I was allowed to register it so why can’t I operate it”

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 04-24-2019, 06:03 PM   #17
Loub52

Default Related thread...

Quote:
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=20420
Old 04-24-2019, 06:22 PM   #18
Woodsy

Default LSV/OHRV Checklist

I have attached a .pdf of the checklist sent to me by Laconia City Clerk....

Woodsy
Attached Images
File Type: pdf low speed utility vehicle check list.pdf (760.8 KB, 262 views)
Old 04-25-2019, 06:43 AM   #19
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Alton

There are a pair of registered UTVs (side by side) vehicles that have been running up and down our road for the past month or so. Both operator and passenger are belted in and wear helmets.

If I were to complain about them, it would be that they are a little loud, but not any louder than many motorcycles that pass by our house; and they are zipping along at a pretty good clip, but then again probably not faster that a lot of cars / pickups that travel on or road.

The are times when they travel by at night, and their headlights do seem to be adequate for nighttime road use. (And yes, they do have adequate lights on the rear of the vehicles. )

My only question is the quoted regs about OHRV: is the a difference in the regs, especially for on road use, between ATV and UTV?

Dave
Old 04-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #20
nhcatrider

One of my friends lives in Cannan and has a Rokon. It's registered for both road and trail. It met the trail requirements from the factory, and all that had to be added to it was mirrors and directionals. He was basically told by the local pd to keep it on the slower roads and he won't have an issue with them.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote