Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
Dtodt223

Default can someone help ID boat?

I'm looking at this boat to trade for mine and want to look up as much as I can. I can't find any 1996 Glastrons with a closed bow like this. Owner says GS185 but doesn't seem accurate. Thank you Winni crew.

Side note, is an 18ft 4 cylinder boat dangerous in winnipesaukee? I'm getting rid of my 20ft V8 in favor of something smaller.
Attached Images

Dtodt223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:27 PM   #2
Water Camper

Default 18ft Glastron

Foolish, but not necessarily dangerous.

Just my opinion.

Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
jazzman

Well, it wouldn't make a good weekend boat or a breezy day boat. You'd want to stay in a protected bay unless there was very little wind. If you can pick and choose your day it's ok, just be very aware of any thunder storms and avoid summer weekends. It's probably not dangerous as long as you pay attention to the weather, but it won't be very comfortable on a busy day.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #4
Poor Richard

Look up Wellcraft 18 SL and see what you think.

That's what it looks like to me.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #5
Dtodt223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
Look up Wellcraft 18 SL and see what you think.

That's what it looks like to me.
wow i think you may be right! thanks so much. this guy doesn't know much, says it's his first boat.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #6
Woodsy

Get a survey..... most likely that boat has transom & stringer issues due to its age.

Woodsy
VitaBene (06-02-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 02:51 PM   #7
Dtodt223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Get a survey..... most likely that boat has transom & stringer issues due to its age.

Woodsy
Can't be any worse than my 1989 ebbtide.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:46 PM   #8
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtodt223 View Post
wow i think you may be right! thanks so much. this guy doesn't know much, says it's his first boat.
Hmmm...that in and of itself sounds suspicious. Any boat owner that doesn’t know what the heck he owns raises a red flag in my book. He can’t look at his registration?
There are scams on Craigslist with people trying to sell boats they don’t own.
Be careful!
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 09:19 PM   #9
NHskier

You may be able to find details here using the hull identification (HIN) number from the manufacturer's plate.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:05 PM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Dangerous?

As an islander who goes out in all sorts of weather, I wouldn't have a problem with an 18' boat. Others might. Smaller is always going to be a rougher ride than larger. I like lots of freeboard and a closed bow, Bimini top and side curtains.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:23 PM   #11
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
As an islander who goes out in all sorts of weather, I wouldn't have a problem with an 18' boat. Others might. Smaller is always going to be a rougher ride than larger. I like lots of freeboard and a closed bow, Bimini top and side curtains.
I think it comes down to what your comfortable with. I bashed my 18' Whaler through some nasty stuff Sunday to get off Rattlesnake, took it like a champ. However we're used to that being Broads side, it horrifies most non islanders.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtodt223 View Post
I'm looking at this boat to trade for mine and want to look up as much as I can. I can't find any 1996 Glastrons with a closed bow like this. Owner says GS185 but doesn't seem accurate. Thank you Winni crew.

Side note, is an 18ft 4 cylinder boat dangerous in winnipesaukee? I'm getting rid of my 20ft V8 in favor of something smaller.
1st get the Hull ID# and that will answer all your question about what the boat really is. I agree with someone else here looks more like a Wellcraft 180 SL.

Woodsy, is pro survey, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that idea. Although dependent on the price point, you never know... Although if the Guy thinks its a glasstron and its not, I would start to become skeptical, and think about a survey just to be safe.

Now onto the question of an 18' boat being safe on Winnipesaukee. that all comes down to personal preference. I see no problem with it. I have a 18' Four Winns, and have used it in all types of conditions. And I have only been mildly concern about safety once. And that is because of wind direction, and my destination. I was having to take some waves at an awkward angle for a short period of time. With good freeboard, and a wide hull I find my boat very comfortable in most of the conditions Winnipesaukee offers. Your experince, and comfort levels of what determines how safe you are. Most people would say you 20' boat is to small, and your only giving up two feet.

I think your bigger concern should be is the I4 engine, going to give you the performance you want..... because I ski and tube etc. my 18' has a 305 V8.... if I wasn't tubing and skiing I would easily see a V6 being very practicle, and honestly as time has gone on, and tubing and skiing has become less of a priority, I could see an 18' being desirable. However the I4, while it will move the boat, isn't going make it much more then a pleasure cruiser in my opinion.... I would be more concern about the lack of power, then the length in this case.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:25 PM   #13
Dtodt223

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
1st get the Hull ID# and that will answer all your question about what the boat really is. I agree with someone else here looks more like a Wellcraft 180 SL.

Woodsy, is pro survey, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that idea. Although dependent on the price point, you never know... Although if the Guy thinks its a glasstron and its not, I would start to become skeptical, and think about a survey just to be safe.

Now onto the question of an 18' boat being safe on Winnipesaukee. that all comes down to personal preference. I see no problem with it. I have a 18' Four Winns, and have used it in all types of conditions. And I have only been mildly concern about safety once. And that is because of wind direction, and my destination. I was having to take some waves at an awkward angle for a short period of time. With good freeboard, and a wide hull I find my boat very comfortable in most of the conditions Winnipesaukee offers. Your experince, and comfort levels of what determines how safe you are. Most people would say you 20' boat is to small, and your only giving up two feet.

I think your bigger concern should be is the I4 engine, going to give you the performance you want..... because I ski and tube etc. my 18' has a 305 V8.... if I wasn't tubing and skiing I would easily see a V6 being very practicle, and honestly as time has gone on, and tubing and skiing has become less of a priority, I could see an 18' being desirable. However the I4, while it will move the boat, isn't going make it much more then a pleasure cruiser in my opinion.... I would be more concern about the lack of power, then the length in this case.
Thanks to you and everyone else that chipped in. My 20 footer definitely rocks pretty crazy on a sunny summer saturday. I also can't go over 10mph in the chop without bashing the hull. I think the wellcraft scares me because it looks like the boat is shorter, especially the floor height inside.

I'm going to hold off on this trade based on everyone's opinion about the boat in winnipesaukee and hope my 89 ebbtide lasts another year or two. unless I get a better I4 mid 90s trade offer.