Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2018, 08:47 PM   #1
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Smile and wave

As with many online postings, there is some overweight to complaints and whiners. We see these threads routinely. In counterpoint, I challenge Forum boaters to track and record here how many times they smiled and waved at another nearby boater on a specific day, without any other incident. If there was some sort of rule misunderstanding and you resolved it with a smile and a wave, you get two stars.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (07-09-2018), BroadHopper (07-17-2018), dippasan (07-09-2018), FlyingScot (07-09-2018), GBGX2 (07-10-2018), smith point boater (07-09-2018), swnoel (07-16-2018), Top-Water (07-08-2018), winnipiseogee (07-09-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
Top-Water

Thank you for this more refreshing thread.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
As with many online postings, there is some overweight to complaints and whiners. We see these threads routinely. In counterpoint, I challenge Forum boaters to track and record here how many times they smiled and waved at another nearby boater on a specific day, without any other incident. If there was some sort of rule misunderstanding and you resolved it with a smile and a wave, you get two stars.
Although your intention with this thread was Honorable, unfortunately, human nature (for most people) is to take the path of least resistance and complain and whine about something, rather than to make an effort to post something positive. Sad, misery loves company. Glad I'm NOT "most" people. Glass is half full here...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
Sam603 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 06:50 AM   #4
Dave R

I've seen my share of terrible behavior, but the vast majority of the time, fellow boaters on this lake are decent and seem to have a clue.

I wave and return waves. If you wave at me and I don't return it, it's not because I've snubbed you, it's because I did not see it (I scan constantly, so I may be looking in an other direction when you wave).

In crossing situations:

If I'm the burdened captain and I fail to give-way, it's an honest mistake. I would NEVER do that on purpose.

If you are the stand-on captain and change your course and/or speed, you will likely screw up my plan, but that's OK, I'll adjust.

If you are the burdened Captain, I will maintain course and speed as best as possible until things get too dangerous to keep doing that.

If I'm the burdened Captain, I try to to make obvious course or speed adjustments early and appreciate it when you do the same when I'm the stand-on Captain.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-17-2018)