Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2020, 09:51 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Garbage Disposal fuse tripping?

My garbage disposal reset button is tripping at every use. The button I am indicating is at the bottom of the disposal, which pops out (like a GFCI).
FYI, Disposal is only a few years old.

The disposal initially comes 'on, I can hear and see it operate, then trips the switch button.
When this happens, I have to reset, by de-pressing the red button back up into the disposal base.

Why is this button tripping, there are no other appliances on this same fuse Breaker ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback !

Last edited by bigdog; 12-15-2020 at 09:54 PM. Reason: spelling
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:46 PM   #2
jbolty

probably something jamming it. if you have the allen wrench they came with it put it in the bottom and try turning by hand. With it off, of course.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (12-16-2020), Reilly (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
TheTimeTraveler

A few hints on Garbage Disposals (although it likely won't help Bigdog at this point):

When having a disposal installed, always opt for the disposal which is either a 3/4 horsepower or a full horsepower. It makes a huge difference in function capacity and will commonly outlast those weaker 1/2 horsepower models. Granted, it will cost a bit more to purchase but it is well worth it.

For those who either vacation a lot or close down for the winter: The last thing you do before you close up is to be sure to pour Olive Oil down your drain (hence into the disposal). It safely lubricates all the moving parts so that when you return it won't freeze up (and blades move freely).

Final hint; Be sure to use a disposal properly. Things like artichoke leaves don't belong going down the drain and jamming up your disposal (and your drain pipe).
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
Loub52 (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
fatlazyless

www.pemivalleyhabitat.org in Plymouth, the ReStore, almost always has a few different used garbage disposals for sale.

They maybe come from an olde Lake Winnipesaukee tear-down, or somewhere, when someone super-rich from New Jersey or Connecticut moves in and builds a new mcmansion on ye olde waterfront, same spot.

For five dollars about two years ago, I got me a Badger InSinkErator 1/2-hp and went and replaced the old InSinkErator 1/3-hp that had a worn bearing and it would sometime pop the red breaker button.

About that time, ReStore-Plymouth got a new manager, who is actually a paid employee and not a volunteer, and she has increased all the prices on everything by a whole lot. So today, my $5-bargain used InSinkErator would probably run about $35-40, and it would cost $110-new at a store.

www.Walmart.com has very good prices on new disposals that get shipped to you.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-19-2020 at 08:16 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
subaruliving
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
probably something jamming it. if you have the allen wrench they came with it put it in the bottom and try turning by hand. With it off, of course.
This is the correct answer. Just did it to mine Yesterday. But when you put the allen Wrench in that hole, DON"T turn it totally, turn it left a little and right a little and do that a few times then press the re-set button. It really wouldn't hurt anything to shut the breaker off as well as the switch.
subaruliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
Bear Islander

The little red button is a thermal circuit breaker. It "pops" when there is to much current going to the motor or when the breaker itself is bad. Either the motor is bad, something is jamming the motor, or the circuit breaker is bad.

Thermal breakers, when bad, have a habit of popping at progressively lower currents. So the problem will likely get worse.

You could possibly replace the breaker, but a new disposal is more likely the answer.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (12-17-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 04:46 PM   #7
bigdog

Default Disposal working again... PTL !

I got my Disposal working again

Purchased an Allen wrench tool at Home Depot, specifically for garbage disposals, (none of mine I have, seemed to fit).

Anyway, inserted the wrench, gave it a little 'back and forth' movement first, which was tight feel, then felt it break free, then gave it several clockwise spins. There must have had some crud build-up in there, from non-use for several months, as this is my Southern winter home.

I think before I leave in the Spring to head back North back to Winnie, I'm going to pour some vegetable oil or maybe some Crisco in the drain and run the disposal, to let it lubricate the blades for the season.

Thanks to everyone, for their recommendations, much appreciated !

Last edited by bigdog; 12-18-2020 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdog For This Useful Post:
jbolty (12-18-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 04:55 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I got my Disposal working again

Purchased an Allen wrench tool at Home Depot, specifically for garbage disposals, (none of mine I have, seemed to fit).

Anyway, inserted the wrench, gave it a little 'back and forth' movement first, which was tight feel, then felt it break free, then gave it several clockwise spins. There must have had some crud build-up in there, from non-use for several months, as this is my Southern winter home.

I think before I leave in the Spring to head back North back to Winnie, I'm going to pour some vegetable oil or maybe some Crisco in the drain and run the disposal, to let it lubricate the blades for the season.

Thanks to everyone, for their recommendations, much appreciated !
The same thing happened to us and we were advised to put vegetable oil in it.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #9
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
The same thing happened to us and we were advised to put vegetable oil in it.
Thanks for your reply about this......

LESSONS LEARNED !
Old 12-19-2020, 06:07 AM   #10
Kamper

Duct tape that Allen wrench under the sink, near the disposal, to keep it handy.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamper For This Useful Post:
bigdog (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #11
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Great minds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Duct tape that Allen wrench under the sink, near the disposal, to keep it handy.
I don't have a disposal, but I have two allens taped in-place for two different things.

Great conversation pieces!- Evey now and then someone will see one of them and ask the question. I love to bore them with the, "Well, one day..." story.
Funny- they never come back!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (12-19-2020)