Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2022, 05:59 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default Moultonborough drowning, 70-year old man

Sunday, March 13, 2022: at approximately 8:17-am on frozen Berry Pond, Moultonborough as a passenger in a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado pick-up truck with a snow plow that broke through the ice.

https://twitter.com/NH_StatePolice/s...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

video ....... https://wmur.com/article/man-dies-tr...13-22/39420540

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-13-2022 at 07:14 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:40 PM   #2
GTO

Default Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Sunday, March 13, 2022: at approximately 8:17-am on frozen Berry Pond, Moultonborough as a passenger in a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado pick-up truck with a snow plow that broke through the ice.

https://twitter.com/NH_StatePolice/s...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

video ....... https://wmur.com/article/man-dies-tr...13-22/39420540
Last weekend there were about 60 cars/trucks out on Berry Pond watching the ice racers, this weekend one truck goes out to check the ice depth and they go in. Went by this afternoon and the backend of the truck is still sticking up through the ice. Sad
Captain Jack (03-27-2022), Jdarby (03-15-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 06:26 AM   #3
C-Bass

Default Berry pond drowning mboro

Condolences to the family, usually that pond is pretty safe I thought.

https://www.necn.com/news/local/man-...-pond/2697166/
C-Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:56 AM   #4
ITD

Very sad, condolences to his family and friends. You just never know.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 05:51 PM   #5
retired

Default very sad

It's always sad to hear of a neighbor losing his life. If there is a lesson to be learned by us all, maybe it's don't check the ice by driving a pickup out on to it.
Use caution and be extra careful. The life you save will be your own.
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2022, 01:08 PM   #6
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Name released

New Hampshire State Police have released the name of a man killed when the truck he was in crashed through the ice on Moultonborough's Berry Pond.

John Cook, 70, of Moultonborough, died Sunday.

Police said Cook and the driver of the truck were checking the ice depth for safety for the Lakes Region Ice Racing Club.

Cook was a member of the club for more than 40 years.

Calling hours are scheduled for Wednesday evening in Meredith at the Mayhew Funeral Hom
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:48 PM   #7
Mr. V

I don't understand the part about they were checking the ice to see if it is safe, using a truck festooned with a heavy snow plow to do so.

What, didn't they think the truck would fall through if the ice were unsafe?

I guess I'm wondering why they didn't test it differently, i.e.more safely?

The way they did it seems strictly pass / fail, but then I know nothing of winter sports activities, let alone local practice on the big lake.

R.I.P.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:45 AM   #8
fatlazyless

The front end of the Chevy pick-up with a plow went through the ice, while the back of the truck is sticking straight upward above the ice so maybe the front end is resting on the shallow pond bottom?

When I broke through the ice in March, last year in just three feet water depth, while walking very slowly, it happened in a split second ..... like a super-sudden crash ..... very suddenly .... and it happened in a fast instant with no warning at all. It make a small bruise on my thigh. You know I was tossing Cheez-it originals to two Canada geese, that were in open water nearby at the time, which does not make a whole lot of sense for a reason to get out on the ice.

Is very very unbelievably sad for family and friends ..... they must be in total shock for this to actually happen ...... am very sorry to have this happen.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-16-2022 at 06:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
Alton Bay (03-25-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 08:14 PM   #9
lakeadoodle

Default Is it time for another CO Officer visit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
The front end of the Chevy pick-up with a plow went through the ice, while the back of the truck is sticking straight upward above the ice so maybe the front end is resting on the shallow pond bottom?

When I broke through the ice in March, last year in just three feet water depth, while walking very slowly, it happened in a split second ..... like a super-sudden crash ..... very suddenly .... and it happened in a fast instant with no warning at all. It make a small bruise on my thigh. You know I was tossing Cheez-it originals to two Canada geese, that were in open water nearby at the time, which does not make a whole lot of sense for a reason to get out on the ice.

Is very very unbelievably sad for family and friends ..... they must be in total shock for this to actually happen ...... am very sorry to have this happen.
Cheesits are poison to Canadian Geese. Careful; you might get another visit from the Conservation Officer.
lakeadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 07:14 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeadoodle View Post
Cheesits are poison to Canadian Geese. Careful; you might get another visit from the Conservation Officer.
Bright orange Cheez-it originals are GOOD food for Canada geese, plus it will float on water and can get tossed through the air like a spinning Frisbee for about 30-feet. Every spring from March to May starting in 2012, the same two Canada geese, a married couple, return to Horse Island. They take over the island and shoo away other geese couples and sometimes will fight off a bald eagle while birthing the annual gang of baby gosling geese. The female sits on the nest that's on the ground in the middle of the island and the male half-sleeps on a close-by dock or rock and is always ready to hit the attack button and wage an aggressive loud honking, flying attack, in-their-face war with any incoming other geese or eagle.

It's that fresh cheesy Cheez-it, salty taste that keeps them coming back for more Cheez-it originals at Horse Island since 2012.

Canada geese will live for 20-years, weigh up to 14-lbs, maintain a monogamous relationship and they are NOT Canadian geese, they are Canada geese! .....

There a memorial article in the March 16, 2022 Laconia Daily Sun, "Cook, founder of ice racing club, was a 'once-in-a-lifetime' person" with three photographs that is definitely something to see and read.

A memorial article in the March 16, 2022 Laconia Daily Sun: "Cook, founder of ice racing club, was a 'once-in-a lifetime' person" with three photographs, one with grandchildren and two photos with a bright yellow ice racer is definitely something to see and read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_goose

Ok, so getting back on topic here, the local guy who drowned in Berry Pond, 70-year old Jack Cook must have a huge number of local family, friends and others who knew him. Ambrose Brothers excavation/construction has a large sign out on Route 25 that says " Jack Cook - 50 years service - We will miss you! - Rest in Peace" .... so apparently he could have been a big truck-loader-excavator mechanic at https://ambrosebros.com for 50-years, since 1972 or something!

Like I'm the same age-70 and if I got drowned the only ones to miss me would be those two Canada goose in March-April-May, and only for my bright orange Cheez-its! .....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-20-2022 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:52 PM   #11
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Jack was a friend to many, myself included. He will be missed greatly. Hindsight is 20/20
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Blyblvrd (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 04:57 PM   #12
Grandpa Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Jack was a friend to many, myself included. He will be missed greatly. Hindsight is 20/20
Yes he will be, I have been friends with Jack since he started racing on the dirt at Nor-way Pines, win, lose, or draw Jack always had a smile on his face and an encouraging word for everyone
VitaBene (03-28-2022)