Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2022, 08:53 AM   #1
targabill

Default Boating Time to the Main Lake?

Hi All,
I'm planning of using a dock in the Greens Basin Cove in Moultonboro and was wondering if anybody living in that general area could tell me how long it takes to boat out to the Main Lake past Cow Island? With all the No Wake zones it could be slow going...

Thank you much for your replay.
-Bill
targabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:18 AM   #2
camp guy

Default Boating time to the Main Lake

Getting from Greene's Basin to the main lake is arduous at best and nerve-wracking at worst, however, many, many people do it regularly. I can't help you with time, but I can offer up a few of suggestions - 1), if possible, have a local guide with you, 2), go very slowly and obey the navigation markers, and 3), (maybe the most important) study a chart before you leave your dock and get some idea of what you are undertaking. Once on the main lake, enjoy yourself. Getting back to your dock is simple, just remember what you did getting out and do it all again, only backwards.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:37 AM   #3
Steve C.

Probably 30-45 minutes depending on speed. Definitely study a chart.
Steve C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:41 AM   #4
Jdarby

Default Boating Time to the Main Lake?

I just measured one of my old track logs. We enjoy boating up to Greens Basin as it’s so quiet! Greens to the waters between Little Bear and Cow is a 9 mile trip. (See the pin point on my map) On this trip it took us 45 minutes. This is due to several No Wake Zones and the fact that I’m certainly not going full throttle. My max speed was 24mph but mostly I was running between 18-22mph. Not sure what you’re running but you could certainly shave some time off with higher speeds. The greatest delays will be the NWZ’s in the immediate area around Greens. Just follow your chart, pay attention to the markers, and make sure you know where you are and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile appName:  IMG_2424.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  52.2 KB
Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:41 AM   #5
winni83

We have done this trip countless times. From the Greene's Basin to Cow allow about 25 to 30 minutes. Comments about being careful and looking at the chart are correct. But after a few trips, it will not be nerve wracking. I have done it once or twice at night and that was definitely a nail biter.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2022, 10:00 AM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

There are 2 NWZs to go through to get to Cow. Assuming you do not have oncoming traffic in Graveyard, it is 10-15 minutes. I generally cruise at 30-35.

I will gladly jump on your boat and make the run out with you. It looks worse on the chart than it really is!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (04-22-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 11:14 AM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
There are 2 NWZs to go through to get to Cow. Assuming you do not have oncoming traffic in Graveyard, it is 10-15 minutes. I generally cruise at 30-35.

I will gladly jump on your boat and make the run out with you. It looks worse on the chart than it really is!
There are THREE NWZs (Greene's to Hanson/Bryant's Point/Whaleback) and at least three places you will have to NW if boats are passing (example: Ambrose Cove would be less than 150').

If you follow all the rules, 25-30 minutes to the north of Cow.

That being said, some of the best of the lake is north of the Graveyard, especially in a $5+/gallon year!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 01:43 PM   #8
Jdarby

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post

Wow! If you’re doing a 9 mile trip in 15 minutes including the NWZ’s you’re going alot faster than 30-35mph. You’d have to do the whole trip at 36mph with no slowing for the NWZs to make it in 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdarby For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (04-22-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 02:52 PM   #9
targabill

Thanks everybody for the information!!
Another quick ?. Is there any "Goings On" sort-of-speak by boat up in the Mountonboro Bay area.. Restaurants, Beer, or entertainment?
Any +'s or -'s of living up that way.. Less boat traffic maybe??

thanks,
-Bill
targabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:35 PM   #10
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by targabill View Post
Another quick ?. Is there any "Goings On" sort-of-speak by boat up in the Mountonboro Bay area.. Restaurants, Beer, or entertainment?

thanks,
-Bill
The only restaurant is the store at 19 Mile Bay. Everything else is past the Graveyard and Cow (since you referenced it).

I think the North is the best part of the lake—we can paddle board, kayak, swim, fish, etc. in peace every day of the summer and, whenever we want, head to the "main" lake.

We also get more boating days as Moultonborough Neck shields a lot of the wind.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
targabill (04-15-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 11:37 AM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Things to do?
In Lees Mills you can walk to the Loon Society for their displays and education. You can walk to the New Woodshed. It's about a mile, but I think they will send a car if you call. In September, there is the steamboat regatta. Basically a lot less commercial than the main lake-Wolfeboro, Center Harbor, Meredith. Weirs Beach and Alton Bay were popular 50 years ago, but I think have lost their luster.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:11 PM   #12
Jdarby

Quote:
Originally Posted by targabill View Post

thanks,
-Bill
Definitely less boat traffic! Enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 04-17-2022, 03:17 PM   #13
Juiced06GTO

I enjoy the north part of the lake, plus it is an excuse to take longer boat trips when you want to go to the other parts of the lake! 19 Mile bay does food and ice cream and we usually run there with the kids when staying on that part of the lake. We'll be staying in Alton again this year, but I'll probably make a run our two up there w the fam.
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 12:16 PM   #14
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
There are THREE NWZs (Greene's to Hanson/Bryant's Point/Whaleback) and at least three places you will have to NW if boats are passing (example: Ambrose Cove would be less than 150').

If you follow all the rules, 25-30 minutes to the north of Cow.

That being said, some of the best of the lake is north of the Graveyard, especially in a $5+/gallon year!

Yes- I should have been more clear and added the time to get all the way up into the Basin. Generally we are picking someone up at Balmoral or States Landing Beach. And yes, I am usually moving along (obeying the SL of course) and this was not even remotely possible on the lake weekends in 2021.

Enjoy your dock Targa Bill. I have boated out of that end of the lake for 17 years- great area! Lots of coves and rafting spots that are not over "used".

We gave up our slip at Ambrose this year- looking forward to trailering over to Squam and Sebago this summer.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 12:50 PM   #15
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

How fast you can get to and from Greene's Basin to the Broads, is greatly dependent on boat traffic... I go up to Lee's Mills and Greene Basin quite often, looking for loons with my wife... (off course when she is with me I only need to look across the boat to see the loon..... ok don't tell her I said that).... back on task..... With my pontoon boat, which tops out at about 15 MPH, round trip is pretty lengthy... especially with any traffic... I would guess one way is around 50 mins.... With my speed boat going, getting up there take probably 30-35 mins......

So what really becomes important, is that your looking at 1 hour to 1 hour 40 mins, for the round trip.....
Old 04-22-2022, 01:42 PM   #16
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
How fast you can get to and from Greene's Basin to the Broads, is greatly dependent on boat traffic... I go up to Lee's Mills and Greene Basin quite often, looking for loons with my wife... (off course when she is with me I only need to look across the boat to see the loon..... ok don't tell her I said that).... back on task..... With my pontoon boat, which tops out at about 15 MPH, round trip is pretty lengthy... especially with any traffic... I would guess one way is around 50 mins.... With my speed boat going, getting up there take probably 30-35 mins......

So what really becomes important, is that your looking at 1 hour to 1 hour 40 mins, for the round trip.....
Interesting note about the loons—we see them daily, but they're probably not as numerous on the west and south sides of the lake? One more benefit of the North!

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (04-25-2022)