Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Lucky1

Default Weirs Beach Lobster Pound

I know there have been other threads about Weirs Beach Lobster Pound. I even tried to be supportive a few times. We had had a nice double lobster dinner there last year. I also did not think that the ad was all that bad etc. HOWEVER LAST NIGHT WAS A REAL NIGHTMARE.

FOUR OR US WENT. We are all well mannered adults. After we were seated and given menus, we were discussing what to order. Amanda came over after I had decided to have the lobster with the prime rib. It was then that we were told that there was no beef at all to be had. All of it was gone; it had been a busy weekend. Well heck, it is busy in summer and there are all kinds of events etc. We arrived at 7PM so they were not about to close or anything.

I decided to go with the double stuffed lobster roll. The others had the lobster mac and cheese, the lobster pie with the breadcrumbs and one gal had two appetizers. She said her steamers or mussels? were good. None of the rest of the meals were good. The lobster seemed brown, tough and old or something. IT DID NOT HAVE A NICE FRESH LOBSTER TASTE. I picked at it for a long time to get it down. For the first half hour we were not even asked if we wanted rolls or bread. We were all hungry and there were limitations on what could be ordered etc. We finally got salads. The male in the group said, "The management is poor and the wait staff are poorly trained." We suffered through what can only be described as a great disappointment.

I had told Amanda in the beginning that I had a Restaurant.com certificate for 25 dollars off the meals. It did not really even cover the tip we left, but I did want to use it. At the end of the dinner Amanda came to say that the Restaurant.com certificate was not valid. I assured her that I had three of them and that I had not used one before so it had to be valid. She insisted that they said that it was not. I called the 800 number on the certificate and that said they were closed so I knew that could not have been where they had been told the certificate was not valid. I asked to speak to the manager. Rich or Rick Ray appeared. Earlier in the dinner I had mentioned that we had not even been given rolls and that the menu was so limited that I would mention this on the Winnipesaukee Forum. I also said that previously I had read that the manager Mike Ray had wished to have any problems discussed with him so that was my intent, but this fellow (Mike Ray's brother he said) had no interest at all in our problems with this awful dinner. Now he was standing telling me that the certificate was not good. I OFFERED TO CALL THE SAME NUMBER THAT HE SAID HE HAD CALLED AND TOOK OUT MY CELL WHILE HE GOT THE NUMBER. AS EXPECTED THE CERTIFICATE WAS GOOD. I had to dial again so he could hear the message that said it was good.

NOT ONE WORD Of APPOLOGY FROM RICK OR MAYBE IT WAS RICH RAY. I then said something like, "You should be saying that you are so very very sorry about all this distress caused by the restaurant and what could you do to make it up to us." I was thinking maybe he would say, "Would you all like a dessert or something as I am so sorry that we have not been up to our standards this evening". Instead Rich actually said, "I am about two minutes away from asking you to leave" after he discovered that the certificate was good, and I expressed dismay in all that we had had to go through for what really was a very sub par meal. He walked away and again the male in the group said, "The management is poor and the wait staff is poorly trained." With that we paid the bill and left a good tip for Amanda and went off the Kellerhaus for some really great ice cream! The old player piano was a nice touch. I am now in a bit of a bind as I don't want to ever return to the Lobster Pound but do still have some certificates!
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
sa meredith

Default again?

File under..."Same ****, different day."
Every year, we get one of these stories. It has become a rite of summer.
I must say, I've been several times, and would say 70/30 split between positive/negative experience.
Parking lot always seems packed.
And, as I've stated before...the third floor outdoor bar, is probably one of the premier spots on the entire lake, for drinks/apps, late afternoon, early evening...as the sun starts to dip. Just perfect...and very relaxing. Do remember to bring the gold card, though.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (07-18-2011)
Old 07-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
topwater

Throw them away, and don't give it a second thought. They probably only cost a few bucks anyway. I'm at a point in my life that if there is anyway I can eliminate any BS from my life I do just that. Toss the certs away, never go back. There are to many, much better places to eat around here to put up with that crap. I can say I have never been there, but it really seems to be a hit or miss situation there. LIFE IS TO SHORT......
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topwater For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (07-18-2011)
Old 07-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Lucky1

Default This is a threat and none of it is true but good to post it.

I read both my letter and the letter from thegreyghost to the other members of my dining party just to check out the facts. The food was unaccpetable to three of us and OK for one. I rose to put the cell phone to the ear of the manager so he could hear the message that the CERTIFICATE WAS GOOD, but it was too late. The manager- owner then dialed again and heard for himself that the certificate was valid. It may be that this restaurant does this just to not take the certificates. I do not know. I do know that thegreyghost did not post a reply and I know why. Thegreyghost is not telling the truth and thinks one can say that they will post to anyone who responds etc with this ridiculous story. I was polite and ate the food and paid for it. It was a challenge to eat it but I did not want to detain my party THREE OF WHOM DID NOT LIKE THE FOOD AND WERE AMAZED AT THE WAY THE OWNER TREATED US. I just called the couple and he said he would never go back and it was about the worst experience at restaurant in the past 47 years. So this is going to be it for me regarding the awful dinner at the Weirs Beach Lobster Pound. I copied and pasted the message from thegreyghost and you can read it below. I am honest to a fault and the very idea that someone would threaten someone who posts is strange. Is this sort of thing allowed?

Dear Lucky1,

You have received a new private message at Winnipesaukee Forum from thegreyghost, entitled "Lobster Pound".

I had so hoped you would post. I have been reading this forum for years and years. I have only posted a few times and never in the restaurant section. I was just so lucky to be at a table very close to you and watched this whole episode. Wow! what a different picture you paint. Honestly you were a complete *******! Those poor people, to deal with someone like you! They went out of their way to be polite and honest with you. I even heard the man in your party tell you to stop several times. I heard him tell you its not the end of the world and you said yes it is! What the hell was wrong with you!? I actually stayed to watch what went on and you lie! You all ate everything! You never complained about your food! The conversation with the man that I think was the owner was just the opposite of what you said took place! I heard him say many times sorry and please lets not argue. I saw you standing up yelling at him, speaking over him, pulling things out of his hands! Funny you d!
o not mention any of that. You LIE! My entire party of 8 said wow look at that out of control old jerk! All that being said I hope the management of that restaurant posts the truth! I may just post the truth and attempt to discredit you entirely. You deserve that much. I am not one for public posting, I simply like to observe but in this case the truth should be told to the public. What I also might do is private message anyone that posts and tell them the truth. Its people like you that take a great source for information and ruin it!

Last edited by Lucky1; 07-18-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: added explanation for thegreyghost post
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucky1 For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (07-18-2011)
Old 07-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
sa meredith

Default Love it!!!!!!

My God....The LP threads rock every year. I love them, and I'm not kidding. Love it, love it, love it...although I suspect Don will be deleting the above post as soon as he reads it. Too much profanity...but great stuff. Who to believe??!!
I say leave it, and let the fun begin!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
My God....The LP threads rock every year. I love them, and I'm not kidding. Love it, love it, love it...although I suspect Don will be deleting the above post as soon as he reads it. Too much profanity...but great stuff. Who to believe??!!
I say leave it, and let the fun begin!
YA..agree.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
jrc

A few weeks before Bike Week, we wanted some fish and figured lets give them another try. The food was very good and the service was not too bad, a little slow with the soft drinks.

I was reluctant to post because of how these threads usually go. But it is possible to have a good meal there.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
VtSteve

It is hilarious. It seems the more volume the LP does, the more vociferous the attacks. I've not had a problem at the LP yet. Big Mike was a good guy, and a good host. I have no idea what makes the LP posts so personal. But I can think of a few restaurants that many cling to dearly, that I could easily make a post like that about. They'd be defended as much as the LP is attacked.

Obviously, that's why a lot of restaurants exist in the area.

I also might add that the OP should re-read his post about Canoe. Perhaps you should have ordered something else after a few bites? Without any meat on the menu, I might have left myself. Just sayin....
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
Argie's Wife

Those coupons on restaurant.com are still for sale... and for $15 (and sometimes as little as $2) you can knock $25 off your bill. There's some fine print involved (Minimum purchase of $35. 18% Gratuity added prior to discount. Valid for Dinner, Dine In ONLY. Excludes: Other Offers/Promotions. One certificate per party. Not valid during bike week 6/11-6/19.)

But...

Maybe we need to have a expedition to TLP and settle this for ourselves. I mean, these reviews and responses are like 50/50 - love it vs. hate it.

I see they have Guinness and Bass beers... can't be too bad a place.... would love to know what's on tap... perhaps drinks and appies are in store some night before the summer is over... ???
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:02 AM   #10
fatlazyless

A picture can be worth a thousand words, and the Lobster Pound's large new sign out front looks much better than the old one. It's all about a big, maybe eight feet tall, bright red, happy, healthy-look'n, cooked lobster that's ready to eat!

Lobster trivia: A lobster can move up to 25 feet per second across the ocean depths. (purpleslinky.com>trivia)

Here's a question: Are lobsters considered to be swimming or just to be moving?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-19-2011 at 07:15 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:04 AM   #11
Newbiesaukee

I realize this is serious to the OP and greywhomever, but after reading all this, my head is about to explode.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Pepper (07-19-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 06:13 AM   #12
dpg

Amazing how someone posts one story of their night and an "on-looker" sees something totally different. So who to believe??? Personally I tend to lean towards the observer as they have no "dog in the fight" as the saying goes. But of course that's just me, opinions will vary. I've been there once a few summers ago, I'd rate the place (then) a C++ nothing to bother posting about...Either way...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #13
sa meredith

Default great for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Those coupons on restaurant.com are still for sale... and for $15 (and sometimes as little as $2) you can knock $25 off your bill. There's some fine print involved (Minimum purchase of $35. 18% Gratuity added prior to discount. Valid for Dinner, Dine In ONLY. Excludes: Other Offers/Promotions. One certificate per party. Not valid during bike week 6/11-6/19.)

But...

Maybe we need to have a expedition to TLP and settle this for ourselves. I mean, these reviews and responses are like 50/50 - love it vs. hate it.

I see they have Guinness and Bass beers... can't be too bad a place.... would love to know what's on tap... perhaps drinks and appies are in store some night before the summer is over... ???
As I stated earlier, for drinks and apps...at 5ish, 6ish, as the sun starts to dip a bit, the outdoor bar on the third floor is one of the best, if not the best, outdoor bars on the whole lake. I'm always sure to go, 2 or 3 times a year. In the past, that bar has only been open Thurs/Sun...not sure about this year. It is a touch pricey, but hey, it's like paying 10 dollars for a beer in a strip club...you're paying for the view.
On another note...my guess would be that, as a rule, people are happy with LP. But wow! When a forum member is wronged, they lay into the place. Makes for good fun.
I have a sister with three children, whose finacial situatuion has changed over the past few years. Now, every dollar needs to be accounted for. While they still manage to boat, and keep their seasonal camp in Meredith, eating out is something they have eliminated. However, her and her husband manage it twice a year. Yep, that's it...two restaurant visits for a quiet dinner for the two of them per year. One winter, one summer.
And in the summer, they have picked LP for the past three years, and during their vaca week (next week), they are again choosing LP. They have always had great luck, and love the outdoor dining. Now, with all the choices they have, that is saying something. Her thought is, why chance a new place? The only problem they ever had there was corrected quickly, and to her satisfaction.
I've had good luck, but truth be told, I'm more of a cocktail, and app guy.
Oh, they used to have decent live music upstairs as well.
Seems most of the complaints on this board, come from large parties, who dine during peak hours. Hey, when the place is hopping, something has to give.
LP is great "hang out" place...that is certain. For a full dinner...I'm not the guy to ask.
But keeps the digs coming...I love the entertainment...
Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #14
JanN

Default Too Many Questions

We are only at the lake for two weeks every year and probably go out to dinner two or three times during that period. Having read the many posts about The Lobster Pound over the last few years, there are just too many questions in my mind to ever chose it as one of our few nights out. There are too many places we know for sure are good, both for the food and service. Our personal favorite is The Corner House where for 30+ years we have never had a bad meal and we have always been treated with the utmost courtesy and respect!
JanN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JanN For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (07-19-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #15
topwater

Jan, I agree with you 100% !! However I believe your comparing APPLES to ORANGES.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #16
Shore Driver

This thread =

Knowing what you are in for helps. We always come away cringing at the bill, but somehow, always end up going back (deck only). It's fresh fish for Pete's sake!

I find the main dining area a bit sterile but that deck is magic.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #17
Woodsy

Disclaimer: I live in the Weirs and I think the Lobster Pound is great... they have always treated me beyond nicely... and now that Happy Hour is legal in NH good luck getting me off thier upper deck! Now if they could just get that eyesore called the Wide Open Saloon torn down...

With that being said.... you cannot possibly bat 1000 all the time. You cannot please everyone. They prob serve somewhere around 600 or so covers on a busy night! There are bound to be a few mistakes! As always when there are sour grapes... somewhere in the middle lies the truth. Lucky1 I am sorry you had a bad experience.... I love the place and will continue to go there....

Woodsy
dragonfly03246 (07-19-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #18
dragonfly03246

We also live in the Weirs and frequent the Lobster Pound. Usually we find if we sit in the bar area or up on the top deck the service is a little better.

The staff is ALWAYS friendly and they always greet us when they see us and ask how we've been.

We've never had horrible or bad service just a little slow at times and the food has always been decent. The very few times we've not liked something or it was wrong the staff immediately corrected our problem or bill. Certaintely not the best but we love it!!
dragonfly03246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #19
NH_boater

My personal experience is very, very poor and there are enough bad experiences by others that I am beyond going back and will spend my 'dinner out' money elsewhere. We eat out often through the summer. Like most others, I also share good and bad experiences to others. I found the service to be extremely poor and the food just as bad.

People vote with their cash. My votes now go elsewhere.

Too bad too because I wanted to like the place (location, style and convenience). I would love to see a complete new approach to quality, value and customer satisfaction. Unfortunately, this rarely happens under same owners/management.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #20
sa meredith

Default easy to see

Kind of easy to see the patern here...most people who frequent the place (myself included) who are looking for drinks/apps/atmosphere, love the bar and out door upper deck. Positve reviews.
The "sit down with a party of 4+, full meal, we're in a rush, please be perfect with my order" crowd...50/50 with a lean toward negative. I would agree with those that get upset though...you're certainly paying enough to expect a great experience.
I always enjoy a combo LP/Gringos experience when at the Weirs...two opposite ends of the spectrum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
jrc (07-19-2011), MarkinNH (07-20-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #21
gtagrip

Default Entertaining to say the least...

I too enjoy the entertainment the LP threads provide! Can never keep enough popcorn on hand!
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #22
Pineedles

Quote:
. It is a touch pricey, but hey, it's like paying 10 dollars for a beer in a strip club...you're paying for the view.
Is that what drinks cost at a strip club now sa? I haven't been to one in 20 years. I'll take your word for it.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
gtagrip (07-19-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #23
jmen24

Thegreyghost should review his user account before stating that they never post in the restaurant section. Don't you know we can look at your posting history.

Starting out with a lie and then calling someone else the same, plus not having any idea who this other person is, all sounds questionable to me.

I have no dog in this fight, but having read Lucky1's posts from the beginning, I would have to say the credibility is leaning more her way. Plus, folks here have actually met her, what say you.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing where this thread goes, it's always good.

Perhaps thegreyghost would like to chime in to clear the air.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
NHBUOY (07-19-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #24
sa meredith

Default quick story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Is that what drinks cost at a strip club now sa? I haven't been to one in 20 years. I'll take your word for it.
Off topic, but quick story...
Went to The Spearmint Rhino in Vegas last May. Had never been, but it is considered one of the premier "Gentlemen's Clubs" in the entire country. 50 bucks to walk in the door, and upon entering, I ordered a double Crown Royal, and was asked for another $42. Now, at $21 a drink (top shelf, singles) the views better be breath taking.
And the LP threads just keep getting better and better...
Old 07-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #25
Newbiesaukee

Was the "view" in Vegas worth it?

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #26
sa meredith

Default well

Lot of moutain peaks in the way...oh, wait a minute....
Old 07-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #27
VtSteve

Quote:
Kind of easy to see the patern here...most people who frequent the place (myself included) who are looking for drinks/apps/atmosphere, love the bar and out door upper deck. Positve reviews.
The "sit down with a party of 4+, full meal, we're in a rush, please be perfect with my order" crowd...50/50 with a lean toward negative. I would agree with those that get upset though...you're certainly paying enough to expect a great experience.
I always enjoy a combo LP/Gringos experience when at the Weirs...two opposite ends of the spectrum.
You really have this nailed SA. I can get along just fine with fine French restaurants, Rib joints, whatever. I rate and expect different things from them all. The LP is a mass market product, not a specialty gourmet restaurant. I fail to understand why people aren't even across the board in their ratings. I've seen people rate complete dives as five star places. It happens to be what they like.

I've had some darn good ribs in the LP, and a great lobster. The prices aren't that bad really. I've had dinners at The Woodshed that I felt extremely ripped off. (There, I said it). They really aren't that good, C+ at best IMO. Start a thread about that overpriced place and watch the feathers fly.

The LP is Fun. No, they're not the best restaurant in the area. Not the point. I wouldn't go to the Weirs Blvd. expecting a great meal either. There are some fairly crappy restaurants that have a great following.

Another point. Who are these late diners that expect a great dinner? I always hope for the best if I Have to eat out late during a busty time. But this isn't NYC, not even Lake George. Just consider yourself lucky to be served after 6 PM, it wasn't always that way.

McDonalds always has the dollar menu
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (07-19-2011), MarkinNH (07-20-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #28
NH_boater

I expect perfection if perfection is......
- getting you meal in less than a 90 minute wait while sitting at the table,
- having the order come out with the food that you ordered,
- having three meals come out reasonably together,
- having the food served acceptably warm,
- having food that tastes superior to microwave food,
- having your service with any type of smile or friendly approach,

I expect the meals to be expensive here, especially on season. I expect delays during peak hours. I strongly reward good service and less for poor service. Sure I could lower my standards and pretend this is OK, or simply go to others places and get better food with better service.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #29
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
I expect perfection if perfection is......
- getting you meal in less than a 90 minute wait while sitting at the table,
- having the order come out with the food that you ordered,
- having three meals come out reasonably together,
- having the food served acceptably warm,
- having food that tastes superior to microwave food,
- having your service with any type of smile or friendly approach,

I expect the meals to be expensive here, especially on season. I expect delays during peak hours. I strongly reward good service and less for poor service. Sure I could lower my standards and pretend this is OK, or simply go to others places and get better food with better service.
Well said...I expect edible food fairly priced. Then again I've also mentioned on this forum I consider the Sandwich fair gourmet.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #30
kauriel

Unfortunately we had a similar experience recently. It was a bit later, I think we arrived around 9:30 or 10 on a Saturday. They were out of chowder, bisque, and rolls, as well as who knows what else that we didn't try to order. No one was impressed by the food and then at the end of meal we were told our restaurant.com certificate was not valid.

Fortunately restaurant.com has excellent customer service and exchanged it for us because we weren't planning to go back again to see if next time they will accept the certificate! They also confirmed that there was nothing wrong with the certificate which makes me wonder what went wrong because that was the first time we've ever had an issue redeeming a certificate
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kauriel For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (08-08-2011), topwater (08-09-2011), Winnisquamguy (08-15-2011)