Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
IslandRadio

Question Is "Duck Itch" here yet?

Over this past (Memorial Day) weekend, my wife went swimming (brrrrrrrrr) and ended up with what she thinks is "duck itch" on her feet. It seems to me that it is too cold for duck itch, but maybe not.

I haven't actually seen my wife since the weekend !?! as I am staying here on the Island this week to do a bunch of work both here and at a company in Maine, so I personally have not seen what this looks like on her feet. She did go hiking in open sandals over the weekend, and my thought was maybe she brushed by something like poison ivy - but maybe it really is duck itch.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Steve (IslandRadio)
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
isleofsand

Default Probably not duck itch

In my experience as a lifeguard on the lake for 10 years now, the lake water is too cold for duck itch. It usually doesn't start "blooming" until the lake temp hits at least 70. Duck itch is small red dots, poison ivy is typically blotchy. Either way, spread some calamine lotion on the affected areas, take an anti-histamine (if the itching is distracting) and wear closed toed shoes when hiking! Good luck to your wife!
Old 05-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
barefootbay

Poison Ivy would be my guess where it is only her feet.
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
fatlazyless

My my my.......itchy itchy itchy....yes, it must be the dreadeded duck itch that I caught while in the shallow water for a couple hours on Monday...and I got it bad...redness....skin eruptions and bubbly looking skin patches....ugh....ugh....ugh....yuuuuuuuuccchhhh.. ...will try to post some up-close photos of my duck itch skin....because a photo is worth a thousand words...scratch....scratch....ouch....pain...pain. ..pain....& misery!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
My my my.......itchy itchy itchy....yes, it must be the dreadeded duck itch that I caught while in the shallow water for a couple hours on Monday...and I got it bad...redness....skin eruptions and bubbly looking skin patches....ugh....ugh....ugh....yuuuuuuuuccchhhh.. ...will try to post some up-close photos of my duck itch skin....because a photo is worth a thousand words...scratch....scratch....ouch....pain...pain. ..pain....& misery!
Wow, that's really too bad about the itch! Where are you located (or where were you in the water - what part of the lake)? Will definitely watch out.

Sherrie (IslandPrincess) found the soap that is useful for poison ivy helped her quite a bit. She's had duck itch a number of times.
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
fatlazyless

To learn a lot about the duck itch or the swimmer's itch, suggest you google "Wikipedia swimmer's itch."

According to Wikipedia, a microscopic waterborne parasite is looking for waterfowl like ducks or geese and will latch onto humans too, and is more common in the shallow water probably because that's where the ducks are more commonly found.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-16-2012 at 06:18 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
Sandy Island fan

Default prevention

We have found that application of sunscreen before going in the water, as well as rinsing after being in the water, helps prevent duck itch. Sorry it's too late for you, FLL, but for others, this might help.....
Sandy Island fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
fatlazyless

Default ...pregnozone! .. (spelling?)

My girlfriend, age 47, got a similar horrid case of the duck itch too, as she was in the water in the same area for the same time as me on Monday afternoon. Today is Thursday. One of her arms from the hand to the elbow swelled up from all the duck itch so she saw a medical doctor at the Speare Hospital emergency room in Plymouth today. The doctor there diagnosed it as duck itch and said she had an allergic reaction to it and prescribed pregnozone (spelling?). ........ how about that....and am still working on getting three photos of my own duck itch on leg, arm and on my stomach .....medical style photos taken with a cell phone posted here.....watch out......it's the Lake Winnipesaukee duck itch ........and it is definitely out there.........(theme song from the movie JAWS here) .......
Old 09-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
NoBozo

Based on this FLL report: I will NEVER swim in the lake again. NB

PS: I HATE Ducks...........and maybe Canada Geese as well....OR is it Loons..I can't Decide..They all POOP..don't they..
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Rusty

Quote:
My girlfriend, age 47, got a similar horrid case of the duck itch too, as she was in the water in the same area for the same time as me on Monday afternoon. Today is Thursday. One of her arms from the hand to the elbow swelled up from all the duck itch so she saw a medical doctor at the Speare Hospital emergency room in Plymouth today. The doctor there diagnosed it as duck itch and said she had an allergic reaction to it and prescribed pregnozone (spelling?). ........ how about that....and am still working on getting three photos of my own duck itch on leg, arm and on my stomach .....medical style photos taken with a cell phone posted here.....watch out......it's the Lake Winnipesaukee duck itch ........and it is definitely out there.........(theme song from the movie JAWS here) .......
It was probably Prednisone.

This drug can cause some people to become very aggressive or depressed.

Keep your eye on her just in case she gets these side effects.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
It was probably Prednisone.

p
.....yes, you are correct....it is prednisone and very thankfully it seems to be the antidote to her two swollen hands and arms, and to a much lesser extent, her legs too.

At first we both thought we had poison ivy or poison oak as we had been removing some small oak weed type plants, but it is duck itch or swimmer's itch. We were both in the very shallow water, with lots of motorboat waves constantly rolling in on Monday, Labor Day, and buoy .......oh buoy.......we got that duck itch
bad.......all over except for feet (sneakers w/ socks) and head and neck.

I'm in the water a lot and have had duck itch in the past in very small areas but this was a big, bad, all-over case for me, and for her, and she apparently has an allergy reaction or something to the duck itch causing her arms to swell a lot and her legs a little.

.........duck itch.........bad stuff .....scratch-scratch!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-16-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
AC2717

i read somewhere, on the forum i think, that due to the mild winter, and low water levels this year the level of bacteria is very high this end of the season, vs previous seasons. PLus with the little rain we had areas where water might normally flow freely is not. I am wondering if this is why I have been getting sick the past couple of weeks very frequently with one thig or another. I am going to stay out of the water this weekend and see what happens, or I could be just finally getting over a three week or so colr or flu

GET THESE DAM GEESE OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
Dave M

Default Had it to

Working on the dock 2 weeks ago. Wore sneakers and had everything covered except legs. Thats where I got it. Didn't go in last weekend, wife did and she got it.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
NoBozo

Default The Real "Duck Itch"

I unfairly indicted the Ducks, Geese, and Loons in my above post. Here is an article splaining this "parasite". It doesn't come from wildfowl poop. NB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_Itch

PS: I have found the procedure mentioned at the end of the article, (and below) also to be quite effective after encountering jellyfish in salt water. It seems to prevent any reaction to jellyfish stings.

...."periodic brisk toweling of the extremities is effective in preventing Swimmer's Itch".

I do this while still IN the water, and while emerging from the water to Rinse the parisites off the skin before they penetrate.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
Newbiesaukee

Actually, it can come from duck feces even though the organism that causes it is a parasite. These life-cycles can be very confusing and the Wikipedia article could be better written. Besides, it would sound worse if we called it "snail itch."

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:25 AM   #16
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Actually, it can come from duck feces even though the organism that causes it is a parasite. These life-cycles can be very confusing and the Wikipedia article could be better written. Besides, it would sound worse if we called it "snail itch."
"Duck (or 'Snail') Itch" seems to only affect the legs and ankles. Toweling-off definitely helps, but swimming in deep water discourages the affliction. (Onshore wind concentrates the nasty micro-critters in the shallows).

Snail "browse" (food=algae) is encouraged by Phosphorus and the Nitrates that are being increasingly introduced into the lake. (Compounds found in lawn fertilizers).

When I polled my fellow Winnipesaukee summer campers—from "yesteryear" none could remember having "Duck Itch".

Quick relief can be found with a doctor's prescription to 0.1% Triamcinolone Acetonide. (Also known under various trade names that can include the suffix, "cort"). 0.1% Triamcinolone Acetonide is to be used sparingly, and applying a teeny-tiny amount gives near-instant relief to Duck Itch and similar "bites"; astonishingly, just one application may be enough.

More on the "Duck Itch" topic here:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7985
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #17
fatlazyless

...From the Dept. of Meds for the Uninsured:

Well.....about seven days after getting this miserable duck itch, it is slowly losing its redness and itchiness and slowly healing up. Probably, the worst area is the inside of both my arms from the elbow to the wrist on the inside, and specifically the inside corner of my right elbow. Other areas were stomach, knees to ankles, and one spot on forehead ...... at least it makes me appreciate my good health when I do get a duck itch rash.....Ivarest which is similar to calamine lotion ...... and Pabst Blue Ribbon .....have helped to ease the itchiness pain .....

And......talk about a good find.....the Dollar Tree store next to the Gilford Walmart has 1-oz tubes of 1.0% Hydrocortisone Cream for one dollar.......God bless that Dollar Tree!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-09-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #18
ApS

I have paid as little as $3 for a prescription of Elocon, Aristocort, Hydrocortisone Valerate, Betamethasone Valerate, or Triamcinolone Acetonide. (and may have received free samples). They're available in an ointment or a cream base; for me, ointment works best around water.

At your next checkup, ask your doctor—and hold on to that tube. It appears to work for years following its expiration date.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #19
fatlazyless

Well......more on this duck itch saga........yesterday......the emergency room bill for my girlfriend came in the mail from Speare Hospital in Plymouth......and it totaled out to about $929 for her one hour E.R. visit to treat her two swollen hands and arms on the first Thursday after Labor Day at 5:30-pm......the duck itch was contracted supposedly from the invisible parasitic microscopic worms in the shallow and very wavy(at the time) Winnipesaukee water on late Monday, Labor Day afternoon;

........about $929.......which gets broken down to........325 for the medical doctor to examine and prescribe prednisone.......600 for the emergency room for the nurse and the hospital visit.....and 4 for two prednisone tablets....plus getting the prednisone prescription filled was additional.....not sure how much at this time...

.........what a bunch of crooks! ......how the H can this one hour E.R. visit cost so much.....and after her insurance company processes her claim.....I expect to be left paying her $500 deductible.....

.....so what has happened to paying about 65-dollars, total, for a visit to the local E.R. ?

One thing I have noticed lately is that this time of year, there is always a group of about ten or so ducks directly in front of my spot on the lake......diving for the acorns on the sandy bottom.....which fall from the two large overhanging oak trees....the ducks seem to just love eating those acorns ......and these mallard ducks will swallow the newly fallen acorns whole....apparently with no problems....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-16-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #20
jrc

For something like this, I would call my doctor and a he would prescibe prednisone over the phone. I would go to CVS and be set for $10. But since it's free lets go to the emergency room.

Don't worry, pretty soon we will have unionized governement doctors with no evil profit motive to take care of us and it will all be free! Everything will be free soon, mortgage, food, phone, medicine, someone else will pay.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #21
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
For something like this, I would call my doctor ...... But since it's free lets go to the emergency room.
She called her regular doctor, who was too busy to see her on that Thursday, and she (her doctor) after hearing a description of her swollen arms and hands, over the phone, told her (my girlfriend) to go to the "clinic" at the hospital.
Newbiesaukee (10-26-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #22
ITD

Quote:
She called her regular doctor, who was too busy to see her on that Thursday, and she (her doctor) after hearing a description of her swollen arms and hands, over the phone, told her (my girlfriend) to go to the "clinic" at the hospital.

Love is expensive Less...... She should find a new doctor.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #23
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
For something like this, I would call my doctor and a he would prescibe prednisone over the phone. I would go to CVS and be set for $10.
Not sure what kind of doctor you go to but for a doctor to prescribe something over the phone by just listening to the symptoms seems like he would be setting himself up for a malpractice lawsuit. Doctors use to do this years ago not sure they do it very often anymore.I agree he would have been better paying the $25 dollar co-pay than the $500 he is going to end up paying.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #24
Newbiesaukee

To follow up on the preceding, it is, IMO, irresponsible for a physician to prescribe prednisone over the phone without seeing the patient. This is allowing the patient to make the diagnosis. I know everyone seems to be sure what the diagnosis is...."oh, it is only poison ivy, why do you have to see it." " I know it is hives from eating shellfish, I always get it." " I don't need to come in, you just want me to come in for an office visit." "I know 'duck itch' when I see it, my friend had the same thing and her doctor prescribed prednisone and cleared it right up!"

As a retired dermatologist I cannot tell you how many times patients have been "absolutely certain" of what they have only to have me tell them(when I see them) that their "poison ivy" is shingles, their "duck itch" is impetigo. Prednisone is not an innocuous drug, look up the list of side effects.

I am not defending the medical profession, I don't want to get into the politics of health care, and sometimes people do receive poor medical care and deal with arrogant doctors. But sometimes, when the physician says you need to be seen, you really do need to be seen. If the physicians first responsibility is to "do no harm," prednisone over the phone for a NEW problem is not responsible medicine.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #25
fatlazyless

Default ...huge E.R. bill for duck itch treatment!

....ok lets take a little bit closer look at my girlfriend's bill from the Speare Hospital, Plymouth, NH, emergency room for her bad allergic, swollen arms and hands reaction to the duck itch.......contact with the microscopic parasite was first made on Monday afternoon, Sept 3, Labor day, in the shallow and very wavy waters of Lake Winnipesaukee, and E.R. room treatment was on Thursday, Sept 6, at about 5:30-pm ....for one hour or less

....looking at the hospital statement....

pharmacy general.....$4.00 for two prednisone tablets

E.R. general .......$545.00

professional fee for the medical doctor .....$375.00

for a total of $924

...after her insurance company processed the claim from the hospital, the hospital sent her an invoice for a total due of $508.86 ..... and take a 15% discount if paid by November 1 .... and pay $432.53 to settle the bill ...

...at these prices....is the E.R. providing medical care....or is it a system that's more like organized crime?
Jonas Pilot (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #26
Newbiesaukee

What would a reasonable fee be for this service in an emergency room staffed to take care of medical emergencies?

Old 10-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #27
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
To follow up on the preceding, it is, IMO, irresponsible for a physician to prescribe prednisone over the phone without seeing the patient. ....
Well I'm not going to argue about the risks involved with prednisone, I'm not a physician. My real point was that duck itch is not an emergency condition.

A good doctors office would more than likely squeeze you in. If they could not, they can prescibed medicine over the phone to hold you over and scheduled a follow-up in the next few days. I can't remember getting prednisone over the phone, but I have been prescribed over the phone several times. Most towns have one drugstore open late night just to handle late night presciptions.

IMHO emergency rooms are for emergencies.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #28
Newbiesaukee

Agree that E.R.s are for emergencies and "duck itch" is not an emergency medically speaking. Using the ER for "non-emergencies" can get very expensive. But many people do use the ER for "non-emergencies." The other side of the coin is that if you are itchy and miserable and your Primary Care can't/won't see you, then where do you go? In some areas (but not Lakes Region) there are "walk-in" clinics which are part of the answer.

I certainly don't have the answers on health care, just trying to point out what seems "obvious" to some is not so obvious to all.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #29
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Well I'm not going to argue about the risks involved with prednisone, I'm not a physician. My real point was that duck itch is not an emergency condition.

A good doctors office would more than likely squeeze you in. If they could not, they can prescibed medicine over the phone to hold you over and scheduled a follow-up in the next few days. I can't remember getting prednisone over the phone, but I have been prescribed over the phone several times. Most towns have one drugstore open late night just to handle late night presciptions.

It is not easy to get squeezed in by a doctor in the lakes region unless you are a patient of that practice.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #30
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiesaukee View Post
what would a reasonable fee be for this service in an emergency room staffed to take care of medical emergencies?
Around $924.00
Old 10-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #31
tis

Thanked 1,386 Times in 960 Posts

There really should be more walk in clinics. I am surprised Laconia doesn't have one. It IS hard to get an appt. if you don't have a regular doctor and even then, there are weekends and days off when the doctor won't see you.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #32
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
There really should be more walk in clinics. I am surprised Laconia doesn't have one. It IS hard to get an appt. if you don't have a regular doctor and even then, there are weekends and days off when the doctor won't see you.
We have had to resort to an ER my son came to visit with the grandkids. They live in an area where Urgent Care clinics are the norm, and they would much have preferred to go to one of those rather than the ER.

This past summer and the previous one, grandson #1 developed some type of infection over the fourth of July. In '11 they took him to Speare ER in Plymouth; this year they rode it out and it turned out to be foot-and-mouth disease. An urgent care clinic anywhere within a 20-mile radius of Moultonborough would've been most helpful.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #33
fatlazyless

It was more than just the red skin irritations of the duck itch which was a very bad case and over a wide area of both mine and her bodies; it was the swelling of both my girlfriend's arms and hands, from the elbows to the fingers, plus some swelling in the legs which required a quick trip to the E.R. for her, for a medical diagnosis and prescription for prednisone. I did not have a terrible reaction to the duck itch myself, but she did .........having both arms and hands swell up like that was very scary....but not as scary as the bill from th E.R. !

Today's Oct 24, LaDaSun has a lead article "LRG Healthcare Adding Walk-in Clinic" at their Laconia hospital.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-24-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #34
Winnisquamguy

Default Article from LDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Well here you go.......

LACONIA — Next month, LRGHealthcare expects to open Convenience Care at Lakes Region General Hospital, a walk-in clinic providing treatment for common injuries and illnesses as well as shots and preventative services at affordable costs.
Dr. Paul Racicot, who oversees emergency medicine at LRGHealthcare, said yesterday that Convenience Care will serve as a bridge between primary care and emergency services, by offering an alternative to both at less cost than either. Unlike an office visit, no appointment will be necessary and unlike the emergency room, patients will be spared long waits for treatment.
The clinic will operate from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m. seven days a week. Treatment will be provided for colds, flu, sore throats, ear aches, allegories, sprains, minor burns, cuts, and aches and pains. aches. Racicot characterized the process as "self-diagnosis" or "self-triage," stressing that because the clinic is part of the hospital, if injuries or illnesses require more intensive treatment than it can provide, patients can be transferred quickly and easily to the appropriate setting.
Health insurance companies, Racicot explained, are increasingly directing patients to the least expensive point of service. Since Convenience Care will qualify, patients will be able to optimize their coverage. He said that the clinic will benefit employers, who will be less likely to exceed the limits of their workers compensation coverage when employees require treatment for injuries suffered on the job.
Meanwhile, the walk-in clinic will reduce congestion in the emergency room, while enabling personnel to concentrate their energies on genuine medical emergencies .
Racicot said that LRGH had planned to open the walk-in clinic in the summer, but was delayed by clearing a number of regulatory hurdles. He said that the renovation and reconfiguration of space adjacent to the main lobby is nearly complete and hopes the new service will be available in November.
Meanwhile, ConvenientMD , LLC, of Portsmouth plans to break ground for a similar, free-standing facility in Concord as soon as next week. According to material provided by Max Puyanic, the company's chief executive officer, patients going to emergency room in New Hampshire waited an average of nearly four hours and paid co-pays of between $100 and $250 for treatment in 2009. The clinic anticipates swerving patients within a 30-mile radius, which would include Laconia.
Racicot acknowledged that private providers have been opening walk-in clinics for some time, especially in affluent communities and neighborhoods and that LRGHealthcare was responding to the trend. He suggested that placing its walk-in clinic in the hospital, with ready access to an extensive range of medical services, gave LRGH an advantage over free-standing counterparts.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #35
fatlazyless

That sure sounds like what we could have used over at Speare Hospital in Plymouth, "Convenience Care", and then if the nurse arnp or whoever checks you out at the intro, and decides that you are material for the E.R., then knowing what an E.R. bill of $924 looks like, then you have the choice to say no-thanks, and go to the Dollar Tree store meds, or Wal-Mart over-the-counter remedies or where-ever, as opposed to being on the hook for a gigantic bill.

Needless to say............safety and good health habits pay big...........just to stay the heck out of the E.R. !
Old 10-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #36
tis

Thanked 1,386 Times in 960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Well here you go.......

LACONIA — Next month, LRGHealthcare expects to open Convenience Care at Lakes Region General Hospital, a walk-in clinic providing treatment for common injuries and illnesses as well as shots and preventative services at affordable costs.
Dr. Paul Racicot, who oversees emergency medicine at LRGHealthcare, said yesterday that Convenience Care will serve as a bridge between primary care and emergency services, by offering an alternative to both at less cost than either. Unlike an office visit, no appointment will be necessary and unlike the emergency room, patients will be spared long waits for treatment.
The clinic will operate from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m. seven days a week. Treatment will be provided for colds, flu, sore throats, ear aches, allegories, sprains, minor burns, cuts, and aches and pains. aches. Racicot characterized the process as "self-diagnosis" or "self-triage," stressing that because the clinic is part of the hospital, if injuries or illnesses require more intensive treatment than it can provide, patients can be transferred quickly and easily to the appropriate setting.
Health insurance companies, Racicot explained, are increasingly directing patients to the least expensive point of service. Since Convenience Care will qualify, patients will be able to optimize their coverage. He said that the clinic will benefit employers, who will be less likely to exceed the limits of their workers compensation coverage when employees require treatment for injuries suffered on the job.
Meanwhile, the walk-in clinic will reduce congestion in the emergency room, while enabling personnel to concentrate their energies on genuine medical emergencies .
Racicot said that LRGH had planned to open the walk-in clinic in the summer, but was delayed by clearing a number of regulatory hurdles. He said that the renovation and reconfiguration of space adjacent to the main lobby is nearly complete and hopes the new service will be available in November.
Meanwhile, ConvenientMD , LLC, of Portsmouth plans to break ground for a similar, free-standing facility in Concord as soon as next week. According to material provided by Max Puyanic, the company's chief executive officer, patients going to emergency room in New Hampshire waited an average of nearly four hours and paid co-pays of between $100 and $250 for treatment in 2009. The clinic anticipates swerving patients within a 30-mile radius, which would include Laconia.
Racicot acknowledged that private providers have been opening walk-in clinics for some time, especially in affluent communities and neighborhoods and that LRGHealthcare was responding to the trend. He suggested that placing its walk-in clinic in the hospital, with ready access to an extensive range of medical services, gave LRGH an advantage over free-standing counterparts.

That sounds great. I hope it is a true walk in care clinic.

A few years ago Huggins was going to have a sort of clinic where if you just had a sore throat, colds, flu etc. you would be treated as if you went to the clinic instead of the emergency room. The problem was I never knew anyone who got treated at the clinic price. It didn't last very long. I hate to state the obvious but I have the feeling a hospital would rather have you go to the emergency room because they get a lot more money.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #37
Newbiesaukee

This is totally a guess, but I think that a hospital would do just fine with a walk-in clinic, I doubt that their referring to the ER is really part of the plan; except, of course, if it is an emergency.

In Miami, the largest of the local hospitals (not part of a large for-profit chain) has established multiple walk-in clinics throughout the county, often in shopping centers. My wife and I have used them for several acute but not emergency issues such as ear infections and "pink-eye." We have been very pleased with the care and the system itself. The severe "duck-itch" that FLL described is exactly the type of problem that lends itself to this type of care.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #38
fatlazyless

Default ...Nov 29-Lakes Region Gen Hospital Bridging Gap between...

...just google "LRGH Bridging Gap Between Doctor's Office & ER" in today's Nov 29 LaDaSun...

$150 fee for self-pays including cost of any lab work.

"The emergency room is just around the corner."

So's baby-doll, next time we come down with a very bad case of Winnipesaukee duck itch, we will be going to the $150 convenient care clinic at the hospital in Laconia, and be danged sure to stay the H away from the $924 emergency room visit at Speare Hospital in Plymouth. It is goodbye Plymouth ....... and........hello Laconia!

$150 or $924 is a big difference.......like no kidding! One hospital offers medical care at a lower and more affordable price.....and the other hospital offers medical care at an organized crime type of a price!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #39
Belmont Resident

Quote:
...just google "LRGH Bridging Gap Between Doctor's Office & ER" in today's Nov 29 LaDaSun...

$150 fee for self-pays including cost of any lab work.

"The emergency room is just around the corner."

So's baby-doll, next time we come down with a very bad case of Winnipesaukee duck itch, we will be going to the $150 convenient care clinic at the hospital in Laconia, and be danged sure to stay the H away from the $924 emergency room visit at Speare Hospital in Plymouth. It is goodbye Plymouth ....... and........hello Laconia!

$150 or $924 is a big difference.......like no kidding! One hospital offers medical care at a lower and more affordable price.....and the other hospital offers medical care at an organized crime type of a price!
Or it could be a sign of just how bad the Laconia area is becoming.
Build a brand new hospital in a community that is going down the tubes and eventually will rely solely on summer tourism and the elderly retired who are moving up here to their 2nd homes.
Oh and we can't forget about the sleezballs who steal from Lowes then brag about it on a local forum.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #40
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Oh and we can't forget about the sleezballs who steal from Lowes then brag about it on a local forum.
...you know....you can say and think what you want....it's your private thoughts....but I have become a pretty good steady customer at the Gilford-Lowe's....and that is partially because they offer their 90-day, easy returns policy....having purchased some bigger items like a snow-blower, power-washer, refrigerator, kitchen stove, paint, perennials, mmasonry blocks, cement mix, landscape timbers, top soil, & mulch....which just shows-to-go their easy returns dept is a good business builder for folks like me! ....thankyou very much & good knight! ...
Old 11-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #41
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,062 Posts
Angry Off topic BR and FLL

Belmont Resident (11-29-2012), diz (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #42
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I agree but after his post about Lowes I just couldn't resist.
I apologize
upthesaukee (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #43
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,062 Posts
Default I understand

...now back to the more enjoyable subject of suffering with Duck Itch
Old 11-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #44
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
...now back to the more enjoyable subject of suffering with Duck Itch
In all my years boating on the lake I have never ever had it.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #45
Sunbeam lodge

Default Emergency room

Quote:

There has to be a better way. I was in extreme knee pain. The doctor wanted to make an appointment in 2 weeks. I asked if they could just squeeze me in somewhere or call if someone cancelled. They said if you are in pain go to the Emergency room. On Holidays or night's the Dr office will send you to the emergency room and $1500 bills. I suffered through after the emergency room diagnosed my problem as damaged tendons due to a bone spur. The problem re-occured when I arrived in Florida and could not get an appointment for 2 weeks even though I was in pain and could not bend my knee or go down stairs. They recommended I go to the emergency room but I waited out the pain with Ibuprofen that had been recommended by the emergency room in NH. I try to avoid the emergency room and the physician assistant interviews and administrative bureaucracy no matter who pays for it. But there are no other options. I tried urgent care but that was a waste of time.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #46
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Ask a Nurse program

My daughter lives in the Manchester NH area. On her refrigerator is a magnet for the 'Ask-A-Nurse' program by a local hospital. One can call the 800 number and inquire about a medical problem to someone on the hospital staff. I can't recall the hospital, but I was told this free service have saved hundreds of thousands dollars of unnecessary medical expenses. I think this is an excellent idea! There should be a similar program in this area. Second thought, it is an 800 number, I bet anyone can call the hospital regardless of where they live.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #47
SIKSUKR

Ask a nurse in NH is provided by Catholic Medical Center (CMC) in Manchester. 626-2626
Old 12-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #48
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Many insurance companies also have a 24 hour nurse care line.
For BC/BS call 1-888-247-BLUE (2583) in MA
Anthem BC/BS in NH (888) 220-3891
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote