Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
Newbiesaukee

Default Change Mailing Address: Boat

I am certain there is an obvious answer but it eludes me:

I keep my boat in NH where it has been registered for 14 years. We live in Miami which is the mailing and legal address that NH has and the boat registration renewal is mailed to the Florida address.

We downsized in Florida last year and moved. I wanted to change the mailing/ permanent address so NH would mail my registration renewal to the right place in Florida ( it will not be forwarded from my old Miami address---long story)

I went to the NH DMV website which covers boat registration and could not find how to change the address. There was a form, but more on that in a moment.

I called NH DMV and was told about the form but recommended I take it to my town clerk because "It will be faster and they know what to do and they will help you." This seemed a variant of "We're from the government and we are here to help."

I called Moultonborough and was told the Town Clerk would be able to do it.

This morning I brought my stuff to Moultonborough and was told that they could not do it but they would give me a form. No help there and they did not seem willing to help.

I got home looked at the form they gave me which I assumed is the same form online (it is).

Here is the problem. The form is a record change request which covers all of the DMV functions including boat registration. The form asks for my driver's license number and other than my birthdate and name there is no other identifying feature. My drivers license is from Florida. They do ask about what will be my new address but no place to put my old address.

Question is: How do they know it is me? No ID except a driver's license which is from Florida. Do I put this on the form?

How do I change the mailing/permanent address for my boat registration? Oh, and the form says may take 60 days which makes the timing tight, which is why, they said, I should go to Moultonborough.

If all else fails, I guess I could do this in person in the spring but it should not be this difficult.

If anyone is still reading...I would appreciate some help.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
ursa minor

Sorry that there isn't a more direct way to solve your issue, I certainly don't have an answer on how to do this with DMV.

I can offer from personal experience that it's easy enough to take last years registration form to a local agent (marinas, Heaths Hardware in Center Harbor is one as well I think) and renew in person. Maybe then you could input your new address as well. Hope it works out.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
ApS

Wink Flag...Bring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa minor View Post
Sorry that there isn't a more direct way to solve your issue, I certainly don't have an answer on how to do this with DMV. I can offer from personal experience that it's easy enough to take last years registration form to a local agent (marinas, Heaths Hardware in Center Harbor is one as well I think) and renew in person. Maybe then you could input your new address as well. Hope it works out.
Seeing NH DMV from a distance, they don't seem to care about the details you're concerned about. But it IS important that you don't misplace your old registration! I'd make a bunch of copies, and spread them around—cars, hidey-places, boat, neighbors, relatives, vault...

There is no requirement to register your boat by mail. Your local Town Hall will also take your money in the Spring—the address change can be affected at that time. Then, they'll ask for your drivers license.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:10 AM   #4
Joebon

I take care of one of my in-laws boats. I changed the address to my address when I registered the boat at the marina this year. I also signed it for my mother in law with no proof except the previous year registration. Apparently that changes every registration with the DMV because I just received her NH car registration in the mail. So, I wouldn’t worry about proof. Just don’t use my address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts

I agree with just doing the re-registration. You could probably just cross out the old info and write in the new when you mail it in.
The rule of thumb is: If the check clears, you're OK. If it doesn't clear, they'll find you.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
Newbiesaukee

I appreciate the help. I sent the form in as well a copy of FL drivers license and added the NH bow numbers. I’ll let you know what happens. I will probably wind up registering it up here in the spring.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
Newbiesaukee

As a follow up, I sent in the papers as noted above and just received the correct new registration with the correct information and instructions on getting the actual decal by mail. Part of it involves paying..no surprise there. Anyway, impressed by the efficiciency even if instructions a bit ambiguous earlier.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:51 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

They will not forward them so make sure you have it sent to the address where you will be in Dec when they are sent out.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:06 PM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts

Sounds like DMV did what they were supposed to do. My understanding of DMV;'s is that this woulod not happen in 49 other states. NH is a great place.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #10
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Sounds like DMV did what they were supposed to do. My understanding of DMV;'s is that this woulod not happen in 49 other states. NH is a great place.
The DMV came through and my decal was delivered last week. Yay, NH.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:18 PM   #11
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts
Default State is behind

New Hampshire is running about 3 weeks behind on processing boat registrations.

I brought a NH registered boat to Florida and sent the 2018 registration renewal in to Concord the day it came in the mail. It had not been processed and renewed by Tuesday December 26 so I called my town hall. They had me process a payment on the town website and sent the renewal out the same day. My understanding is the state will send back my check when they see it is already renewed.

I have only great things to say about the town hall staff in Gilford. They always go out of their way to help and could not be any more pleasant while they help you.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote