Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2021, 05:30 PM   #1
camp guy

Default Dock repairs in Wolfeboro

The contractor doing repair work to the Wolfeboro docks has set up his work trailer so I assume the actual work will start very soon. Much of the work will be in the area of the launch ramp, which is supposed to be kept operational, so if this is your haul-out location you might experience a slow down.

(This work will not include a dine-in, waitress service, restroom equipped, expanded facility for Hot Dog Bob, darn!)
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
barndoor (09-22-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 09:41 AM   #2
Stilljester

Good to know and consistent with the posting on the town website.

https://www.wolfeboronh.us/home/news...-public-notice

Thanks!
Stilljester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:51 PM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Looks like the repairs are nearing completion. More of a rebuild than a repair. Concrete work today rebuilding the walkway at the foot of the docks. Looks good overall.

Alan
Attached Images

Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-13-2022), billy (04-16-2022), Descant (04-12-2022), Electric man (04-12-2022), Heading4thelake (04-12-2022), Loub52 (04-15-2022), smith point boater (04-13-2022), The Winster (04-13-2022), TheTimeTraveler (04-12-2022), upthesaukee (04-12-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 01:40 AM   #4
Stilljester

Thanks Slickcraft, it's looking pretty sharp. "Phase III" was recently approved in the town warrant articles so I'd suspect more improvements to follow in the future!
Stilljester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 03:54 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Looks like the repairs are nearing completion. More of a rebuild than a repair. Concrete work today rebuilding the walkway at the foot of the docks. Looks good overall.

Alan
Are the dimensions still the same, or did they widen/lengthen portions?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2022, 05:03 AM   #6
WinnisquamZ

Someone needs to explain to us how the the town of Wolfeboro can replace and or repair their public docks in a timely and efficient manner. But, the city of Laconia can’t even come to a agreement with what has to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 06:47 AM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Someone needs to explain to us how the the town of Wolfeboro can replace and or repair their public docks in a timely and efficient manner. But, the city of Laconia can’t even come to a agreement with what has to be done.

Oh I think you'll find this was years in the planning.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 03:59 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Wolfeboro has a varied commercial base within walking distance of the docks and they advocate for continued improvements. The Weirs/Laconia has no such base with a lot of walkable space occupied by cabins and the NH Vets Association. There is no such advocacy at the Weirs. Lengthy threads on this elsewhere on the Forum.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 04:36 PM   #9
camp guy

I think the dimensions are basically the same. All the old tops, and stringers and bunks were replaced, but the same piles were used, so I feel the dimensions are the same (give or take an inch or so). The replacement bunks and stringers are much sturdier than the old system, and the fastening hardware is much more rugged.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:53 PM   #10
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:

Deeper pockets..........
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 01:26 PM   #11
camp guy

tis is right. The whole subject of the improvements at the dock was studied and voted on for at least two years. The actual work to make the repairs was contracted by bid, and the Town had very little to do with that end of it. The Town did participate in some of the landscape improvements, but not the actual dock improvements.
Old 04-15-2022, 02:06 PM   #12
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
tis is right. The whole subject of the improvements at the dock was studied and voted on for at least two years. The actual work to make the repairs was contracted by bid, and the Town had very little to do with that end of it. The Town did participate in some of the landscape improvements, but not the actual dock improvements.

If I understand you correctly, the improvements were paid for using private money. Interesting

WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 05:22 PM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

[QUOTE=WinnisquamZ;369486]If I understand you correctly, the improvements were paid for using private money. Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app[/QUOTE

No, that's not correct. The taxpayers paid for it. I think camp guy was referring to the actual work.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 05:29 PM   #14
camp guy

The dock repairs were paid through tax money. The Town went through the process of studies and votes to get to that point, and the money was raised through taxation, but once all that was done, then the actual carpentry work was done by others. I'm sorry if I phrased the original post in such a way to confuse you.

In reality, there have been some public/private partnership projects in Wolfeboro that were paid for using tax money and privately raised funds, but the dock project was not one of them.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:57 PM   #15
XCR-700

So is that a yes or no on increased capacity?

All the major towns on the water on Winnipesaukee could stand 50% increase in town dock capacity.

On a weekend its a nightmare to wait for dock space and the boater etiquette is very inconsistent, some very nice and respectful and helpful folks, and some total self-absorbed opportunists, always looking to get ahead and jump the line.

I rarely go up on weekends anymore and never on a Saturday. Its just not a nice enjoyable place to be with all the big egos and arrogant attitudes you see on the water. Then to add insult to injury, is the poor people who know nothing about boats/boating (or almost nothing) and make the mistake of renting one on a Saturday and then trying to dock somewhere like Wolfeboro and you cant help but feel bad for them them when it goes really badly. Its a scene I do not enjoy watching and work hard to avoid in recent years.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:05 PM   #16
camp guy

The docks were not extended, and no new docks were added, so I think the answer to your question is "No additional space was added". Boat docking capacity is dependent upon the size of the boats at the docks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (05-19-2022), trfour (05-18-2022), XCR-700 (05-18-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 12:54 PM   #17
Bootkie2

The posts are further away from each other towards the end of the dock which can make finding the right spot and tying up a little tricky (depending on the size of your boat). I have a feeling this is going to create even more chaos on busy days.
Bootkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:54 PM   #18
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootkie2 View Post
The posts are further away from each other towards the end of the dock which can make finding the right spot and tying up a little tricky (depending on the size of your boat). I have a feeling this is going to create even more chaos on busy days.
That's too bad. I usually count the posts, assuming 8 foot separation, to judge whether I can fit in a particular spot. Is the handicap dock still at the wrong end? i.e., far away from the parking lot instead of close to it?
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
DotRat (05-21-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 07:04 AM   #19
Bootkie2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
That's too bad. I usually count the posts, assuming 8 foot separation, to judge whether I can fit in a particular spot. Is the handicap dock still at the wrong end? i.e., far away from the parking lot instead of close to it?
The big posts may still be 8 ft apart. They just felt wider apart for some reason when I was there, but comments from camp guy suggests they used the same template on the piles. So you may still be good if you are planning for 8ft when you dock this year. Can anyone confirm the exact measurements? The stick posts that cover the first 30% (or so) of shoreline are DEFINATELY shorter distance apart though compared the large posts.

Not sure about the handicap spaces. Too distracted chasing my kids around the dock to notice.
Bootkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote