Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
pondguy

Thumbs down Metrocast

Just found out Metrocast is having a rate hike Jan. 1st and i lost 2 stations. I was told that i would need to upgrade to expanded basic to receive them again. What a rip off, time to look into satellite. Any suggestions?

Last edited by pondguy; 12-19-2013 at 08:29 AM.
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default We hear you!

Many of us are p.o. about the service, maintenance, and choice of stations Metrocast gives us. Problem is they are the only game in town and they act it.

Many have switched to satellite. You pick, as they are all good.

Before the airwave went digital, I use to pick up several stations with an antenna and I was happy. After the broadcast went digital, I got the DTA terminal from the govt. and no channels. I had to pay for a digital antenna and still no channels. I call to FCC and they assured me that I should lose no coverage. Unfortunately because I live in a low area surrounded by hills, I do not get the digital broadcast because they are direct. No help from the FCC and I ended up with cable. I feel a conspiracy going on. After years of calling Ravi in India while he goes through his procedure book, I ask the association for permission to install a disk, they said no. A few years ago someone found out that there is an FCC ruling that no one can be denied satellite access so the association reluctantly allow disks. A good number of the units now have disks. Because of my unit's location, I do not have a clear path to the satellite, so again, I am out of luck.

So why do I have to suffer because the FCC sold out to special interest groups. I guess that is the future. WE will no longer have freedom.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Bear Islander

I have Directv and like it. It is fairly cheap if you do not get HD and the expensive packages.

Last edited by Bear Islander; 12-17-2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: fix
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default bad information

[QUOTE=BroadHopper;216460]Many of us are p.o. about the service, maintenance, and choice of stations Metrocast gives us. Problem is they are the only game in town and they act it.

Many have switched to satellite. You pick, as they are all good.

Before the airwave went digital, I use to pick up several stations with an antenna and I was happy. After the broadcast went digital, I got the DTA terminal from the govt. and no channels. I had to pay for a digital antenna and still no channels. I call to FCC and they assured me that I should lose no coverage. Unfortunately because I live in a low area surrounded by hills, I do not get the digital broadcast because they are direct. No help from the FCC and I ended up with cable. I feel a conspiracy going on. After years of calling Ravi in India while he goes through his procedure book, I ask the association for permission to install a disk, they said no. A few years ago someone found out that there is an FCC ruling that no one can be denied satellite access so the association reluctantly allow disks. A good number of the units now have disks. Because of my unit's location, I do not have a clear path to the satellite, so again, I am out of luck.

So why do I have to suffer because the FCC sold out to special interest groups. I guess that is the future. WE will no longer have freedom.[/QUOTE

I have Metrocast, and have had to call both technical support for my cable, and for internet. In all cases, I have talked to someone here in the States. Metrocast does not out-source their tech support, at least did not as recent as the first week in October.

I must be a little weird, or lucky, as I have had very good customer service each time I have had to contact them (not a frequent thing). Customer Service reps were pleasant and helpful. Sorry you have not had the same luck.

We did look at Dish and DirectTV a few years ago, and the pricing looked attractive, but they did say it was an introductory rate. We asked what the cost would be after the introductory period, and they would only say it would be the rates that would be in effect at that time. Soooooo, we opted to stay where we were at.

Good luck, regardless of where you get your service from.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Default Upthesaukee

As I have stated in other threads, it took years calling Metrocast to get someone to the house. The last service tech did a great job of swapping out the internet box and testing the line. He notice a very weak signal and checked the cable installation. The cable was replaced a few years ago and couldn't find anything until he went to a box at the corner of the street. Since all cable was underground so was the box. He determined that the junction box was badly corroded and that the field technicians needs to replace that junction box. The box is not covered under his contract and he called in a work order. It's been almost two years and Metrocast have yet to replace the box. One of my neighbors was told by Metrocast that underground installations is the responsibility of the association and that the cables needs to be upgraded! So I stop calling and endure spotty internet coverage, pixeling and low or no signal errors on the screen. To answer the pixeling and low or no signal errors Metrocast insist that I rent the cable box. That would be the last thing I want to do!
upthesaukee (12-17-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
jazzman

If you have decent internet (like maybe 3-5mbs), you can cut the cable cord...

Aereo is available here which gets you all the Boston OTA stations with a "free" DVR function (no channel 9 though).

Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon prime have a lot of content.

A lot of 1st run cable content is available via web (just plug a notebook computer into your TV). Plus many current series are available on a pay per show/season basis from itunes and amazon.

Cable sports are the last frontier... You can buy packages for baseball, but they don't provide home games and there are about 100 rules for other games they don't carry (playoffs, 1:00 Sunday games, sunday night baseball). You can work around this if you're computer savvy.

Hopefully in a few more years, the cable/satellite companies will lose their grip and this will be easier to pull off.

That all said, DirecTV isn't terrible. It does get expensive if you need every premium channel under the sun though. The DirecTV HD satellites are fairly low on the sw horizon in NH. Dish's satellites are a little higher, so if you don't have a good SW exposure, they might be a better choice.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
IslandRadio

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post

So why do I have to suffer because the FCC sold out to special interest groups. I guess that is the future. WE will no longer have freedom.
The switch to digital TV definitely affected people who did not get good UHF reception back in the analog days.

Most of the content is now delivered over UHF, although a few stations are operating in the high VHF spectrum (ch. 7 thru 13). Isn't channel 11 - New Hampshire Public TV actually broadcasting on VHF channel 11? I think so, but would have to double check to be sure. Other historical channel numbers (such 2,4,5, etc.) may say the old channel number, but are actually being "remapped" to a UHF frequency. Most modern televisions will show you the information about the channels you can receive, including their actual UHF allocation and remapping info.

There is a very large frequency span between the historical channels 6 and 7. The entire FM broadcast band (88 to 108 mHz) is in there, aircraft, public safety, some amateur radio bands and government frequencies to name a few. This is why we call channel 2-6 low VHF, and 7-13 high VHF.

The FCC wanted to "reclaim" the lower VHF TV band (ch. 2-6) for other purposes, which probably did in fact have some special interests in there who want the spectrum. I know public safety was one of them. I confess I haven't been particularly following what's happening in that space, otherwise I would report more timely information.

Personally, I would have much preferred to see that spectrum stay TV for no other reason than the fact that propagation is much better in none line-of-site situations using the lower frequencies, which is why you lost your off-the-air reception capabilities when everything moved to UHF.

Anyway, like you, we did not (and still do not) have any pay TV here. In fact, we cannot get cable to the house at all with expending over $7000 to get it here! The only reason we get everything we do off the air is because the house is way up on a hilltop. My friends in the lower parts of town are, for the most part, out of luck although I have helped a number of them put up some good antenna systems, and so some of them do still get free TV and it largely works.

That being said, DTV "converters" vary WIDELY in their sensitivity and ability to decode weaker signals. Antennas make a *HUGE* difference - the biggest bang for the buck for sure will be obtained with an outside, high gain, rotatable antenna system with a mast mounted preamp, and coax feedline. This is what I have here. Without the antenna system, we would - maybe - get 2 stations. As it is, we get around 30 - maybe more (don't watch a lot of TV, so haven't really counted recently).

The switch to DTV is a DEFINITE and MAJOR improvement in the quality and number of channels available. DTV signals delivered over the air really are HD, and the quality is generally superb (assuming the station is transmitting good quality material). The transmission path is generally not the weak link, as it was during the analog TV days.

The only major disadvantage is that the signal is either decodable or it isn't. It's on or off. With analog, you could watch a snowy or otherwise poor picture and at least see something. But, on balance I have to say that, in my opinion, DTV is an improvement. We could discuss what technical standard the US adopted, but that's another discussion!
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
he went to a box at the corner of the street. Since all cable was underground so was the box. He determined that the junction box was badly corroded and that the field technicians needs to replace that junction box. The box is not covered under his contract and he called in a work order. It's been almost two years and Metrocast have yet to replace the box. One of my neighbors was told by Metrocast that underground installations is the responsibility of the association and that the cables needs to be upgraded!
I wold have just gone and replaced the box on my own. If it is the Associations responsibility to replace that stuff, it must be replaceable. So I would have just become the association....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
wickedtravelah

I have Metrocast for phone, internet and tv and am satisfied with the service. The internet is pretty fast and I haven't experienced much down time or no service.....

I am upet that they got rid of MLB Network and STILL do not offer the NHL Network !!

Also, the tech that set everything up at the house was on time, very professional, and explained all the features to me.
wickedtravelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedtravelah View Post
Also, the tech that set everything up at the house was on time, very professional, and explained all the features to me.
I have to agree the subcontractors are excellent. The technicians realized the problems customers have with the main office. But they don't share the same views.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Smokienorm

Default Switched from Metrocasxt to Direct TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
Just found out Metrocast is having a rate hike Jan. 1st and i lost 2 stations. I was told that i would need to upgrade to expanded bacis to receive them again. What a rip off, time to look into satellite. Any suggestions?
We switched from Metrocast to Direct TV over a year ago and are glad we did. We have their "Genie" DVR which supports up to 5 separate TV's, all of which get the full programming and ability to record and play back anything recorded from any of the TV's. Unfortunately we still have Metrocast for Internet because of lack of meaningful competition at decent data speeds.
Smokienorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #12
PaugusBayFireFighter

Default Dear Friend....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
Thanks for all the replies, i think i will go with Direct TV seems to be more of what i'am looking for, just the basic channels for a resonable price. Again thanks!
Don't forget to "refer a friend" to DirectTV and both of you get $10 off a month for 10 months. If you need a friend, I'm here for you!!!
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
Way Out There 2

Myself also...
Way Out There 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
upthesaukee

Default Hey Pondguy...get a bunch of Direct Tv friends...

Get enough friends, and at $10 off for each for 10 months, Direct TV will be paying you to have their service!!!! Oh my gosh, now I sound like FLL .
Old 01-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #15
Newcomers

Default Is there a local Direct TV dealer near Alton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokienorm View Post
We switched from Metrocast to Direct TV over a year ago and are glad we did. We have their "Genie" DVR which supports up to 5 separate TV's, all of which get the full programming and ability to record and play back anything recorded from any of the TV's. Unfortunately we still have Metrocast for Internet because of lack of meaningful competition at decent data speeds.
Hi-

We are new and we just kept what was here from the previous owner ( Metrocast) and would like to investigate Direct TV. I had it in a previous home and liked it. Questions: Do they install in the winter when it may be necessary to go on a snowy roof? 2.) Is there a local dealer close by Alton that I can buy it through and have them do the installation?
Thanks for your reply
Newcomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #16
upthesaukee

Default Welcome to Alton.

I checked the DirecTV website, and found some in NH, but either on the seacoast, or down near the MA border.

Here is a link to their dealer locator. Just put in your zip and select how far away. I found nothing until I selected 30 and 50 miles.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global..._find_retailer

Good luck.
Newcomers (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #17
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts
Default DirecTV installer

We just called the 800 number and they scheduled the installation. We met the guy at the dock and brought him out to the island. The installer traveled all over the Lakes Region.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Newcomers (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #18
Newcomers

Default Direct TV Installer was great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
We just called the 800 number and they scheduled the installation. We met the guy at the dock and brought him out to the island. The installer traveled all over the Lakes Region.
We took your advice and called the 800 line. The installer they sent actually had a few grey hairs- was extremely knowledgeable, set us up quickly. Great job. We did get the mini-genie set up and we love it!
Newcomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:02 PM   #19
upthesaukee

Default Metrocast and Viacom are splitting ways.

Watching TVLand and there are banners going across the screen saying that Viacom and Metrocast have not been able to reach agreement on a new contract, and as such, Metrocast may not transmit any of Viacom's programming after midnight tonight.

This will effect TVland, Mtv channels, Vh1 channels, Nickalodean channels, CMT channels, and others. It could be up to 30 channels, depending on your programming package.

And while I realize this basically a negative Metrocast thread (I couldn't see starting a new thread), I feel this is a he said - they said situation.
The rhetoric from Viacom is that Metrocast is not bargaining in good faith, and Metrocast is, I'm sure, saying that despite their best efforts, Viacom would not budge.

Oh well, time will tell what happens.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:14 PM   #20
Crusty

The same thing is happening on WOW Cable here in Columbus, Oh. After some Internet research, it appear that several hundred smaller cable systems all have their contracts with Viacom expiring tonight. Although I can't seem to find actual numbers (from either side), it appears that Viacom is demanding a rate increase of nearly 100% for a renewal and has denied requests to just renew the "popular" channels (ie, the ones people actually watch). Several cable systems noted that viewership of Viacom channels has suffered a drop of 20-30% over the past couple years.

I would presume that any increase in cost would, on average, simply be passed on to the consumer. This would, of course, cut into the cable companies' customer base. On the other hand, if enough of the cable systems drop Viacom, then Viacom goes out of business.

My bet is that Viacom settles for a small fee increase and most/all of the cable companies continue to carry the programming.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:16 PM   #21
BroadHopper

Default Dlna

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...twork_Alliance

Seems like this is the way things are going. I am able to stream just about anything to my TV from my laptop and Android device. All network shows, news etc. is available on line. I can use DLNA to stream the shows to my TV. Like having DVR without the expense of cable. Even the movie providers like Redbook, VUDU, Netflix etc. can be streamed to the TV. I think this is where we are going.

Problem is we are still stuck with Metrocast for high speed internet unless Fairpoint decides to offer fibre optics to residential users.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:47 PM   #22
Weekend Pundit

Default It's Not The Cable Company, It's The Content Providers

Reading some of the posts on this thread I see there are a few folks who misunderstand how the programming tiers are set up and who sets the cable rates.

First: It's not the cable company, but the content providers who determine where the various channels will appear in the programming tiers.

Second: It's the content providers who drive the cable rates. While the present Viacom kerfuffle is threatening to make some of their channels go dark on Metrocast, it must be understood that the only negotiation Viacom is interested is in is how much more Metrocast is going to pay them for their programming. The cable companies/satellite providers have to pass any increased cost onto the subscribers. (Most cable companies make very little profit off of video these days, so there's very little wiggle room in regards to absorbing cost increases.)

Third: Cable companies/satellite providers also have to carry channels that no one watches because the content providers make it a condition of receiving their other channels. When that happens some times other channels have to be dropped from cable lineups because the cable company has limited bandwidth available. (Satellite providers have a lot more bandwidth available compared to cable. A lot more.)

Fourth: Satellite providers can usually offer better deals because they don't have the infrastructure to support like cable companies, meaning they make more profit even with lower rates than cable.

I could go on and on, but some things needed to be said because of the misconceptions out there.

Not that complaints about the quality of service are unwarranted (I've had both good and bad experiences with cable companies). I think we can all relate to the good/bad service we've gotten over the years, regardless of which cable company being talked about.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:50 PM   #23
upthesaukee

Default its after midnight and...

I have been watching two channels that were supposed to have ceased at midnight.

No banner by Viacom.

Guess that means an agreement has been reached.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #24
Fiddlin'

We cut our MetroCast cable just about 1 year ago, and have been watching free Hulu, and have been happy with it. True, Hulu Plus gives you even more content, but who cares? Our lives don't revolve around the tv. For channel 9 news viewing, you can watch their live webcasts.
Fiddlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #25
BroadHopper

Default Weekend_Pundit

Lately, commercials shows more air time than the shows themselves. I am able to get work done around the house by not watching the commercials and get r done!

With the billions of dollars companies pay for air time you would think there would be plenty of money for the networks to buy out the cable companies and offer free cable!
Old 04-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #26
upthesaukee

Default On Metrocast's Website:

This message is in the upper left hand corner of Metrocast's website, actually quite small:

IMPORTANT CUSTOMER NOTICE: Monday evening, March 31, MetroCast reached an agreement with Viacom that allows for the continued carriage of the Viacom networks on our channel lineups. We appreciate your understanding as we worked through this negotiation.

Like we knew this would happen...
Old 04-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #27
bclaker

Default Alternative to Cable Supreme Court Case

http://www.komando.com/blog/249496/a...rticle_0-title
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote