Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Pasquanel

Default Lake level

Hello all I'm curious as to how much the Lake has risen due to the storm?
My boat is docked at Parker Marine and I barely clear the bridge into the bay
2' or 3'' tops I'm planning on going up tomorrow hopefully I won't have to pull it out.
Pasquanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
ThePlut

Default Up, but not "high"

Check out www.bizer.com and click on "lake level". I used that page a lot when I used to slip at Parker.

You'll see that the lake is high vs typical for this time of year, but it's not beyond the high level of the lake. Looks to be about the same as the lake was in late June/early July. So, if you could get out then, you can get out now...
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Here's a link to the most current by DES.

http://www2.des.state.nh.us/rti_data/wein3_TABLE.HTML

As of 2 PM, we were at 504.20, which is about an inch below full lake.

I too dock at Parker's and my 25 ft Mariah still has about 6-8 inches of clearance under the bridge.

Good luck!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
Pasquanel

Mine is a 22' pontoon and basically it's the biminy and windscreen that might not clear.
Thank you both for the reply, see yo on the lake.
Pasquanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
Barney Bear

Default Lake Level

Lake elevation was about two inches below "full' on Monday measured at East Bear Island.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #6
Misty Blue

Default Good job NH!

I was bitche'n last week about how the state lowered the Lake level in prep. for the storm. Well they hit it right on! After the storm, the level was 1" below full Lake. Perfect for this time of year and I hope that it doesn't change 'till after Columbus day.

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
fpartri497 (09-10-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #7
NoRegrets

I agree that the group that controls the lake level hit a grand slam this time!

They should get a special acculade from media, officials, and us.

We were on vacation the week before the storm and watched the lake get lowered by 7 to 8 inches. The flow through the Weirs channel and by the railroad bridge at Lakeport was like early spring. The lake level board at Irwins showed the lake to be 12 inches down from full. Their advance actions saved southern NH and Mass from a major flood!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I agree the lake control through this storm was exactly what it needed to be. It wasn't an over reaction. I think even if we had gotten a few more inches off rain we would have been ok. Now if we had gotten the 11 inches reported in Vermont that would have been a different story.

Over all I have noticed a change in how they are handling the dam output from Winnipesaukee, this year they kept the lake level higher then the average. I trend I hope they continue, as the average I believe had gotten to be too low, considering the restrictions in place preventing adequate docking for most people once the lake gets down to 503', with out putting in 50' docks... At 38' my dock is with in the 40' length for a season structure, and at 503' I would need to go out at least 10' further to get adequate water under the boat to feel safe leaving it in the water.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

They have done a good job all year as they have most years. Of course there was the usual whining at the start of the year.
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ght=lake+level

They actually don't really have much that much control in the short term, a full release will drop the lake only 1" a day provided zero inflow. Mother nature is the primary control agent here.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
They have done a good job all year as they have most years. Of course there was the usual whining at the start of the year.
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ght=lake+level

They actually don't really have much that much control in the short term, a full release will drop the lake only 1" a day provided zero inflow. Mother nature is the primary control agent here.
I disagree the mother nature is the primary control agent... The dam operators have great control of the lake level... In prior years they have left the dam open at high rates longer then needed... thus resulting in low lake levels come Sept. Basically they opened the dam, and wouldn't reduce the flow until the achieved the average lake level historically for the time frame. And they had been doing this for many years... As a result the average lake level for any point in the summer has fallen over the last 20 years.

This year in opposition, they have maintained the output at the dam to the minimum 250 cfs... which has resulted in a higher then normal lake level for most of the summer. And have indeed allowed mother nature to control the lake level...Historically over the last 20 years however the dam has dictated the level of the lake, by increase flow to match the historical curve.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

LIforrelaxin, My statement was that
Quote:
They actually don't really have much that much control in the short term
as the rate that they can lower the lake is much less than what Mother Nature can add in a day or two. I think that you missed my point.

Obviously they have longer term control over the course of many weeks or a season, we all understand that.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Over full lake now

As of 8 am on 9-10-11, the lake is at 504.34, which is 0.02 ft or a quarter of an inch above full lake.

A word to the wise for those who have a bridge clearance issue. We will be going out in a while from Parker's and the last time we went out, the lake was at 504.18 and we had 8-9 inches to spare. This rise in the lake works out to be just under two inches.

Just a word to the wise.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
NHskier

The Lakeport dam is wide open as of a couple days ago, so that will begin to show it's effects soon. And as a result the Weirs channel is currently at "raging river rapids" state.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #14
Greene's Basin Girl

My lift for my Seadoo is as high as it goes. I thought there was something wrong with my lift until I realized that the problem was that the water is so high.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #15
Merrymeeting

We drove over the Merrimack River on Rt 495 today. It is very high, with many trees on the banks under water. It can't take much more from the north.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #16
Barney Bear

Default Lake Level

Lake elevation was about one-eigth of an inch above "full' on Monday measured at East Bear Island. Water temperature was 65 degrees.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote