Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
Kracken

Default rentals

This may be a difficult one.

When I was a kid my family and I went to the lake every summer. My parents rented the same place every year. It was a complex of 12 or so cottages. It was not the nicest place on the lake but the people were fantastic. The same people rented every year so I grew up with my “summer friends” on the lake. I have the fondest memories of that place and the people who stayed there. Now that I am the Dad, I would really like to provide the same summer experience for my family. We do spend our summers at the lake, but it’s not the same at least not for my kids. I would like to find a family oriented place to rent for a week or two so my kids can have the experience I did so many years ago. Unfortunately these places are a dying breed. There use to be many rental properties around the lake. Over the past 30 years most have been converted to condos or simply torn down. Does anybody know of a family oriented place that has a decent beach and boat docks? I am not looking for a private home to rent, I have that.

thanks
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
jrc

We owned a condo at Samoset from 2001 to 2005. It felt very family oriented to us. There were a mix of summer long owners and weekly renters.

Lots of owners were families were the mom and kids stayed at the lake all week. Dad stayed down at work for the week and came up north for the weekends. These families seemed to be a very tight group.

Some owners just used them as investment properties to rent out. Others, like my family just used it on weekends. This group had a much more casual relationship.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Begonezvous

In my earlier life, my wife's family would spend time at the Black Horse Motor Court in Holderness. As I recall, they had a nice beach on Little Squam with dock space for boats. The only downside was that we had to cross Route 3 to get to the beach from the cottages. The location is a short ride to the Meredith side of Winnipesaukee.

The business was sold at some point but they are still doing business as The Cottage Place on Squam. The web site is www.cottageplaceonsquam.com

It looks like they have all the same cottages and amenities. This might be what you are looking for.
Begonezvous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Kracken

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check these places out in the next couple of weeks. I did check out Sandy Point but the nicer cottages are only available for the season. I checked out Abakee and they also looked pretty good. The downfall on all of them seem to be I will not be able to watch the Sox. (no cable TV).
Old 08-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
Happy Gourmand

Default Clearwater Cottages

on Neil Shore Road....between Weirs Beach and Merideth
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
Kracken

Is there a second Clearwater? I know there is one over by Wolfboro.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
Rose

Default Ames Farm Inn

That's an easy one. Ames Farm Inn. Great sandy beaches, docks, large fields, basketball court, ping pong table, shuffleboard, awesome breakfast if you don't feel like cooking, small store, line dancing in the barn on Thursday nights. The lake shore cabins do not have TVs let alone cable. The apartments in a couple of houses across the street have TVs and I think cable, but don't quote me on that.

http://www.amesfarminn.com/main.htm
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
nj2nh

The Brook and Bridle on the Alton/Wolfeboro border rents houses by the month. I think there is an area with cabins or an inn. I've never stayed there, but I know of a family that did. They really enjoyed it.

nj2nh
Old 08-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Suissevale in Moultonboro. many rental houses here. We have a big party on July 4th and Labor day. Very big beach. Lots of families rent in here. there are some stipulations for vehicles of renters at the beach. You need a pass. And most of the places are walking distance anyway. There is a private boat launch here to.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:18 AM   #10
riverat

Default Merrymeeting River MHP/Campground

We live year around in this park and we are 1 of only 17 year around residents but there are over 60 Seasonal homes(trailers) set up and I would say at least a quarter of those are for sale. It is very family orientated with swimming pool, Rec Hall for potluck suppers, bingo, karaoke ect... The Merrymeeting River abuts it with private boat launch, we have horseshoe pits, basketball, ect... campfire pits on all sites a real fun place to be during the season. But alas the season is winding down and it will be Oh so quiet again. http://www.merrymeetingriver.com/index.html
Old 08-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #11
NHKathy

Kracken:
I just sent you a Private Message...
--Kathy
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
rander7823

Default Samoset

My family has been renting at Samoset for a number of years and my girls have met other rentors that are now their summer friends. I will say though that times are changing there as one of my kids was called a "cracker" by one of the children of a "Owner". I wasn't there when it happened but found the choice of words a little weird to say the least.

Other than that it is a really nice place.
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
Happy Gourmand

Default Clearwater

Yes, there is another Clearwater on Neil Shore Rd in Meredith. I's made up of 8 or 9 little cotteges right on the water in meredith bay. I've never stayed there but our summer home is in the same area.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #14
SAUGUS BOATER

Default Oliver Lodge

I've been taking my family to the Oliver Lodge in Meredith for the last 4 years. The owners, Herb and Lydia Oliver are really nice as is the whole compound that they run. There are a couple stand alone houses (we stay in the Ice House). There is also a huge main lodge with a north and south wing. They can accomodate large groups and family reunions I think are their specialty.

They have boat docking, canoes, kayaks, and 2 nice sandy beaches. They have a pretty good web site. If you google Oliver Lodge Meredith, it will come up. Good luck finding a place, Lake Winni. really is the ultimate family vacation.
SAUGUS BOATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #15
winnisummergal

Default Piping Rock

Try Piping Rock Resort in Wolfeboro...just got back from a week there and it was total bliss...you can rent a motel suite or cottage, as well as a boat slip. Very family oriented. www.pipingrockresort.com
winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #16
Harry513

Try Sunset Lodges in Tuftonboro......family has been going there for over 50 years. No tv though but will bring back old memories of days gone by.

www.sunsetlodges.com
Harry513 is offline   Reply With Quote