Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
GBGX2

Default Dog Friendly Restaurants....

We are new proud owners of a black lab puppy and don't want to give up our long standing habit of going out for lunch around the lake. Can anyone assist on places that allow you to bring the pup?

No reason to mention the obvious: "You should of thought of that before you bought a puppy"....

Being able to have a glass of wine would be an important criteria.

Thanks so much,

GBGx2
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
RLW

Smile

GBGX2, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for joining the forum and your interesting thread. I do not believe you will find a eatery that will allow any type of a dog except for a proven service dog. The board of health in all towns are quite serious regarding this issue. Best of luck in your endeavors.

GBGX2 (04-27-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
Rusty

466:44 Restaurants and Food Stores.

I. Except as provided in paragraph II, no person shall bring any animal into any restaurant or any store that sells food; and no person shall allow any animal to enter in any store that sells food, except for service animals as provided in RSA 167-D. Whoever violates the provisions of this paragraph shall be guilty of a violation.

II. In this section, "at large" means off the premises of the owner or keeper and not under the control of any person by means of personal presence and attention as will reasonably control the conduct of such dog, unless accompanied by the owner or custodian.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
Patiently Watching

Congratulations on the new addition to the family! As previously stated, State law prohibits them from joining you in restaurants but there are some places where he can be outdoors nearby; Garwoods & Wolfetrap patios in Wolfeboro as well as the 'Town Docks' in Meredith are a few places that might work...
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patiently Watching For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (04-27-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
camp guy

Default Dog Friendly restaurant

GBGX2, finding a restaurant to accept your dog will be difficult, BUT, finding one where he can have a glass of wine will be virtually impossible.

I had to write this, my inner devil came out!
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (04-27-2014), GBGX2 (04-27-2014), gillygirl (04-27-2014), ishoot308 (04-26-2014), Merrymeeting (04-28-2014), Rusty (04-26-2014), SteveA (04-28-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default Pops!

Pops in Alton bay has no issues with well behaved dogs on their outdoor deck. Been their many times with my Lab.

dan
Argie's Wife (05-04-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
blacksheep

I know well-behaved dogs have been permitted on the patio area at Lavinia's in Center Harbor in the past. Not sure how the new owners will handle it, but they seem pretty friendly and I know the new chef is a dog owner...
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
GBGX2, finding a restaurant to accept your dog will be difficult, BUT, finding one where he can have a glass of wine will be virtually impossible.

I had to write this, my inner devil came out!
LOL

BTW, how do you know it is a "he".
Old 04-26-2014, 06:06 PM   #9
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Check out the Picnic Grove at River Run Deli

http://www.rrdeli.com/pictures.shtml

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (05-04-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #10
riverat

Johnsons has a take-out window and picnic tables around the side.
possibly Tamarack picnic area, Sawyers picnic area ect... several take-out places with outdoor picnic areas.
But I doubt inside unless you dress it up and walks in on its hind legs.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #11
rick35

Default Lakeside Deli

If the weather is good you can eat outside at the deli. I just read that they plan on installing a fence around the front lawn which will allow them to serve alcohol out there. It may mean that dogs wont be welcome (fenced out). Lets hope not!
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #12
Red apple

Default Dog Friendly Restaurants....

Fully agree with the law but..... As a dog owner there is a fine line of the law. If the restaurant or bar gas a fence that abuts a public walkway you can sit at the table next to the fence with you're dog on the other side. We have found some with a 4' picket fence and have been very accommodating with us and the dog and mist after a few minutes bring out some water for our furry friend.
Red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #13
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Pops in Alton bay has no issues with well behaved dogs on their outdoor deck. Been their many times with my Lab.

dan
The reason for that is, it is out of the service/ food prep area. I even believe now that you are not suppose to take your animals onto the grass area across the street by the docks and swimming area which includes the picnic tables.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:21 AM   #14
baygo

Default What woudmake you think I'mdog friendly:)

Follow the soon to be created thread about the Par Bar at The Mystic Meadows. The thread will feature information about an open air/outside, dog friendly bar with food service from Tavern 27. There will also be a calendar of events with events that your fury four legged buddy can participates in to help raise money for the humane society.

The Tavern 27 wine list has been nominated as the best list in the state (never won). and is soon to expand to feature a reserve list.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (04-27-2014), Winni P (04-28-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 03:12 AM   #15
Greene's Basin Girl

In Florida people have their dogs on the patio's at most of the restaurants. I even saw one in a carriage at TJ Maxx. I was quite surprised.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:43 AM   #16
Reilly

Default Service

Registered service dogs can go anywhere u go ????
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:52 AM   #17
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I don't agree with that law, I think it is ridiculous. I think it should be up to the owner if they want to allow dogs on an outside patio. I don't see why dogs who are part of the family are not allowed especially outside. When we have our dogs in stores, we have often been told how good our dogs are and that they are better than most kids. I guess like everything, there are a few who spoil it for all. When I had big dogs, I would never have thought of bringing them inside a restaurant or drag them on a leash through a store, but when you are carrying little dogs, I think it is a lot different. I don't mean to start a war here (big dog vs little dog as I love both) but just sayin'.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #18
chefbrown

Default Lakeside Deli in Meredith

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
If the weather is good you can eat outside at the deli. I just read that they plan on installing a fence around the front lawn which will allow them to serve alcohol out there. It may mean that dogs wont be welcome (fenced out). Lets hope not!
The Lakeside Deli is dog friendly to well behaved dogs outside on the front porch and around the picnic tables. We have many customers that bring their extended family members to lunch or dinner with them and we provide water for them also. We love it. There are no plans for any more fencing, but it is roped off so you can enjoy an adult beverage while enjoying the amazing view.
chefbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chefbrown For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (04-27-2014), rick35 (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #19
jkjoshuatree

Default Lago

I've brought my pups to the outside patio at Lago.
blacksheep (04-28-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #20
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Friendly dogs

Most establishments that have an outside area usually allow dogs until someone makes a complaint. Indoors, I believe there is a health code against animals as well as an RSA. Service dogs must wear their service vest to be allowed. Service dogs are mandated per ADA 1990.

From time to time in the winter, I do here of complaints that service dogs are not allowed in the dining area. Mostly up scale restaurants. A quick call to the Disability Rights Center usually defuse the situation.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #21
GBGX2

Default Thank you!

http://youtu.be/p3HNb-pjXJ4. Thanks for all the great comments.....I should of been more specific in that we completely understand that dogs are not allowed "inside" restaurants. My question more relates to what many have mentioned here about outside dining or decks. Thanks again for all the great suggestions! I have included a video of Sadie, she be the one on the deck with the Chardonnay!
Old 04-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #22
Flylady

Default Changing Trends

On the West Coast "dog friendly" restaurants are very much the trend. Still dogs are only allowed in the outside patio areas...there is a chain that usually has their places near or attached to large shopping malls, "Lazy Dogs" that is very popular. Usually a wait time at dinner time for outside seating. I would not be surprised that more and more places that can accommodate "patio dining" to see this as an opportunity to bring in new patrons who can bring their "well behaved and leashed" dogs to dinner!
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #23
Crusty

While I've never encountered dogs in restaurants, I do recall several picnic-style events where a bunch of dog owners brought their pets.

Needless to say, there were some problems. They annoyed some of the guests, got into the food --and the beer. There were even a few fights. From the smell, more than a couple could have used a bath...

Fortunately, the dogs were all clean and well-behaved.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (04-29-2014), Eric Weiss (04-28-2014), mcdude (04-27-2014), rander7823 (05-02-2014), SteveA (04-28-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #24
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBGX2 View Post
We are new proud owners of a black lab puppy and don't want to give up our long standing habit of going out for lunch around the lake. Can anyone assist on places that allow you to bring the pup?

No reason to mention the obvious: "You should of thought of that before you bought a puppy"....

Being able to have a glass of wine would be an important criteria.

Thanks so much,

GBGx2
Maybe it is me but why don't you simply crate your dog for a couple hours and go to lunch? I love dogs as much as the next person but does getting a new puppy mean you can never leave it alone?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #25
GBGX2

Default To be sure!

Second Curve: you are right and we will ! However, as all new dog owners do: we want the best of both worlds! Not all the time but the options are what we are looking to explore.... Thanks again for the helpful thoughts !
The Following User Says Thank You to GBGX2 For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #26
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
While I've never encountered dogs in restaurants, I do recall several picnic-style events where a bunch of dog owners brought their pets.

Needless to say, there were some problems. They annoyed some of the guests, got into the food --and the beer. There were even a few fights. From the smell, more than a couple could have used a bath...

At first my fur stood on end and then I got it!!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #27
rick35

Default Tilton Diner

Its not accessible by boat but we frequently stop in Tilton on our way to the lake. Parking in the side lot is big enough to park a trailer and they are dog friendly using the picnic tables near the front door. They even have a faucet and bowl for visiting pups. The only trouble is that its not always easy to eat in peace. Passerbys always stop to say hello to the dog. Everyone loves a Golden and ours is no exception.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:27 AM   #28
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post

Clever!

Misdirection "is a form of deception in which the attention of an audience is focused on one thing in order to distract its attention from another."
Eric Weiss (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 06:29 AM   #29
dpg

Yes they can...I get a kick out of stores or restaurants that have signs on the front door "service dogs allowed" they don't have a choice, a blind(??) person can pretty much bring them anywhere.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:59 AM   #30
phoenix

This is always a tough decision for a restaurant as people with dogs want to bring if possible and people without dogs may not want to be bothered . We recently ate at a resturant in Phoenix on their outdoor patio and table next to us had a dog which was very well behaved and didn't impact any other guest until another person came witha dog and the dogs starting barking at each other and to us was annoying so it does cut both ways so I have no objections at all assuming they don't get out of control.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:17 AM   #31
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Easy to explain the sign...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post

Yes they can...I get a kick out of stores or restaurants that have signs on the front door "service dogs allowed" they don't have a choice, a blind(??) person can pretty much bring them anywhere.
We had to put a sign at our retail store, where we did indeed sell food, stating that service dogs allowed. Reason: we had some customers who would bring their pets in to the store, and when asked to take them outside, we were told we were discriminating. They would have their several miniature dachshunds on a blanket in the cart, or their peekapoo on an expandable leash, or carrying their little mutt...you get the picture.

On more than one occasion, we did have to clean up a puddle of water (?) in the aisles, where we had never had a roof leak, and on a sunny day to boot. Obviously a different sort of leak.

Of note, it took the board of health issuing a letter to corporate headquarters to get corporate to allow signs placed at the door entrance. Previous to the letter, we were told to deal with it on an individual basis; translation: don't make waves and have a customer P. O'd at the store (pun intended.).

Oh, and yes, those very same people tried to tell us that their dogs were "service dogs", to which we asked for the paperwork designating them as Service Dogs. That ended the problem.

There were I think two people who had legitimate service dogs who were very helpful to the store in getting things right. We also had an organization that trained service dogs who asked to be able to come into the store, with the dogs attired in service dog vests. Neat to watch them train the dogs.

Now, back to the restaurant deck. Sit, Uboo, sit.... good dog.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:59 AM   #32
birchhaven

Default service dogs

I learned something new about service dogs a few months back, from a person I know.

It turns out getting a doctor to give you the paperwork for a service dog is pretty easy (depression, anxiety, etc), and with the trend of well to do ladies having little dogs almost as a fashion statement, it is getting pretty easy to pick out the fake service dogs. This person I know who did this (and it is despicable to me) told me that it is how people get around landlords or HOAs that do not allow dogs, in their properties. It really is too bad because now when ever I see a service dog I am a little skeptical. You can tell though pretty quick if it is a pet or a service dog I have found. I can see it being a problem at restaurants for that reason alone. Service dogs are incredibly well behaved and you barely notice they are there, while the pets are looking to have some fun.

Back on subject: Seems I have seen a few outside at lagos too
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #33
Zeke

reminds me of a joke:

So, these two women who felt they were entitled were shopping one day in an upscale shopping district, and had there dogs along on leashes with them. They noticed just about every store had a no pets allowed sign. One women says, “ok, just follow my lead on this’. She puts on her sunglasses and walks in. When told she could not have the dog in the store, she explained she was legally blind, and it was a service dog. Not wanting to make a scene the proprietor let her in. So the friend thinking that went well followed and did the same and when confronted said she was blind, and this was her service dog. The store owner looked down and asked “really, a ****zu as a guide dog”. The women hesitated for a moment, then said, “are you kidding me, they gave me a ****zu
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #34
SIKSUKR

I don't know about the Paugus Bay Laconia location but the T-bones in Bedford has a patio that allows dogs and even has a dog menu.Last time I ate there on the patio there were 5 dogs.I found it more enjoyable than being inside with the humans!
BroadHopper (04-29-2014), GBGX2 (04-28-2014), gillygirl (04-29-2014)