Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
dpg

Default Gas Furnace

Gas (Propane) furnace went on the "fritz" this weekend in Moultonborough, any good experiences with service people to look at it and at the same time provide cleaning/general tuneup, etc? Gas co. is giving an outlook of first week of December for a tech I'm thinking someone can do better than that. It's a weekend place so that's the good thing anyway...Thanks!!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:41 AM   #2
vmlite84

Default gas furnace repair

Give Gregg a call, he is licenced for GAS, plumbing HVAC ect.. 603 707 6761
vmlite84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vmlite84 For This Useful Post:
dpg (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Irving

They have the System 2000 and Veischman propane furnace on display at their office in Laconia. They will set you up with competence HVAC contractors. The two systems are on the top of the DES list of efficiency furnace.

The Laconia contractors are Don Morin or Jeffrey Seymour. Both are reliable and reputable.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #4
TheProfessor

This question comes up from time to time here.
In fact I found this repair person here.
I do an annual check/cleaning with this gas appliance/furnace person.

Christian Repair
33 Morrison Ave, Tilton, NH 03276
(603) 455-5438

LINK

He came highly recommended in other posts here.
And he does know furnaces.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:51 AM   #5
dpg

Thanks all for the great leads, in the process of contacting another company. An appt 2 weeks out is unacceptable.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Gas (Propane) furnace went on the "fritz" this weekend in Moultonborough, any good experiences with service people to look at it and at the same time provide cleaning/general tuneup, etc? Gas co. is giving an outlook of first week of December for a tech I'm thinking someone can do better than that. It's a weekend place so that's the good thing anyway...Thanks!!
By the way, what propane supplier do you have?
Old 11-17-2015, 10:06 AM   #7
DickR

Quote:
..... An appt 2 weeks out is unacceptable.
If the furnace does not have a pilot, but relies on an electrically driven igniter (basically a "glow plug"), then there is a good chance that has failed, and replacement is a fairly easy DIY (and the only thing on a furnace arguably a DIY). This is the way it works. On a call for heat, power is turned on to the igniter. The thing glows red-hot (literally, visually glowing red), a sensor verifies that it has done so, and the gas is turned on. Another sensor verifies successful ignition and leaves the gas on, while yet another monitors for excessively high temperature. With some furnaces, the control system will flash a code indicating reason for "failure to launch," a number of flashes, a pause, repeat. Count the flashes between pauses, and perhaps find the general explanation on a sticky label on the furnace. There can be other reasons for failure or premature shutdown besides a faulty igniter. For example, the control circuit board could have failed.

If you do have an electrical igniter, you can reset the system (power off, then back on), turn up the heat, and watch. If the igniter is good, you should be able to see it glow and thus light up the area around it. There probably is a small sight window that will let you observe this. Failing that, turn off the power, open the access panel, follow the wire to where the igniter is, loosen the screws holding it on (usually a pair), and carefully remove the igniter; it is a fragile thing, so don't bump it into anything. A failed igniter usually will exhibit a crack somewhere along the ignition surface. These are easily replaced. If this is not the problem, just reinstall it. DO NOT FIDDLE WITH ANY PART OF THE GAS PIPING OR VALVE YOURSELF! Leave that to the qualified. If you are uncomfortable about any of the above on examining/replacing the igniter, then don't do it. Leave it to the tech guy.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #8
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
By the way, what propane supplier do you have?
Amerigas...
Old 12-11-2015, 08:04 PM   #9
TheProfessor

Quote:
Amerigas...
I gave up on them a long time ago. They used to be a local provider. Now a nationwide provider with lackluster customer service.

I have on demand or on call.
One time I called for a delivery.
I was advised that the delivery can take up to 10 days. 10 days goes by and no propane. I call again. Then I am advised that it is 10 "working" days. So the 10 days turned into 14 days. I waited right up to the 14 days. Nothing. So I call again. Opps! "Sorry". Delivery came on day 15.
One year Amerigas attempted to charge a $75.00 tank rental fee.
My experience may be the exception. Granted. But I only get burned once and I move on.
Others may have wonderful service with Amerigas. And if so keep them.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #10
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
If the furnace does not have a pilot, but relies on an electrically driven igniter (basically a "glow plug"), then there is a good chance that has failed, and replacement is a fairly easy DIY
I change mine every year. The part is plug and play. About $20.00 for part.

This part is extremely sensitive to moisture and vibrations. I replace every year. And I keep a spare on hand at all times.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Rinnai

My gas boiler died Sunday. Don Morin installed a Rinnai e100cn Wednesday. Very happy with the clean install and the boiler as well. Very quiet, plenty of hot water! Give him a call!

If you have Home Systems Protection and Service Line Coverage. They will cover for a new combination boiler and installation. There is a $1000 deductible and my premium is only $35 @ year.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 12-15-2015 at 03:08 PM.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:14 PM   #12
Fishy Cover

Default Combustion Blower

The combustion blower died on my Lennox furnace after 14 years. Two local repair/service companies said they could not get here for 1 or 2 days and parts would have to be ordered so I decided to try to fix it myself. Bearing noise made the diagnosis very easy. The closest replacement blower was in Wilmington MA and cost $360. Disassembly and replacement time was less than an 1/2 hour, drive time was 31/2 hours so heat was back on in 4 hours. My good luck that it was so easy.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:32 AM   #13
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Cover View Post
The combustion blower died on my Lennox furnace after 14 years. Two local repair/service companies said they could not get here for 1 or 2 days and parts would have to be ordered so I decided to try to fix it myself. Bearing noise made the diagnosis very easy. The closest replacement blower was in Wilmington MA and cost $360. Disassembly and replacement time was less than an 1/2 hour, drive time was 31/2 hours so heat was back on in 4 hours. My good luck that it was so easy.
The only negative I have heard about propane versus oil is if there are problems with the system service and parts can be difficult. From the sound of this thread it appears that is the case. Unfortunately I don't have the skill necessary to fix my system like Fishy Cover.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:09 AM   #14
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
I gave up on them a long time ago. They used to be a local provider. Now a nationwide provider with lackluster customer service.

I have on demand or on call.
One time I called for a delivery.
I was advised that the delivery can take up to 10 days. 10 days goes by and no propane. I call again. Then I am advised that it is 10 "working" days. So the 10 days turned into 14 days. I waited right up to the 14 days. Nothing. So I call again. Opps! "Sorry". Delivery came on day 15.
One year Amerigas attempted to charge a $75.00 tank rental fee.
My experience may be the exception. Granted. But I only get burned once and I move on.
Others may have wonderful service with Amerigas. And if so keep them.
One thing we can't argue about with Amerigas at least in Suissevale this winter is their price. The association worked out a fixed price with them of 1.69/gal I've called a few other locals and was given prices in the 2.50 - 2.60 range.