Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
winniethepooh

Default Looking for hiking boots

Hi all, quick question here (and a cursory search of old threads didn't turn up anything). I'm looking to hike Mt. Washington within the next week with my girlfriend and her sister, but unfortunately, her sister doesn't have any dedicated hiking boots. Is there anywhere I can rent a pair, or any Goodwills/Salvation Army stores in the area I can peruse for some? I'd lend her a pair of my own, but I doubt she'd fit into them. Thanks!
winniethepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
RLW

Smile

winniethepooh, While browsing I noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for posting and I'm sure you will get some good suggestions as to where to purchase your boots.

winniethepooh (07-28-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
Chaselady

You could try a consignment shop. The Etcetera Shop in Center Harbor ha quite a few used shoes the last time I was in.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
Formula

Default never hiked before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniethepooh View Post
Hi all, quick question here (and a cursory search of old threads didn't turn up anything). I'm looking to hike Mt. Washington within the next week with my girlfriend and her sister, but unfortunately, her sister doesn't have any dedicated hiking boots. Is there anywhere I can rent a pair, or any Goodwills/Salvation Army stores in the area I can peruse for some? I'd lend her a pair of my own, but I doubt she'd fit into them. Thanks!

Based on the fact that your GF sister does not have hiking boots, I would assume that she has not hiked before/recently. I would be very concerned about hiking Mt. Washington. It is a long haul!
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Formula For This Useful Post:
aquabones (09-08-2014), camp guy (07-27-2014), Electric man (07-31-2014), secondcurve (07-28-2014), Tomt (07-28-2014), winniethepooh (07-28-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

I believe there is a Goodwill/Salvation Army store in downtown Laconia, isn't there? Where is fll when we need him?
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I believe there is a Goodwill/Salvation Army store in downtown Laconia, isn't there? Where is fll when we need him?
I think there is a store I believe it is Gilford or right on the Laconia/Gilford line. It is between the Union Diner and McDonald's same side of the street.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
ghfromaltonbay

Default St Vincent DePaul

The thrift shop is St. Vincent DePaul and it is on Union Ave. near the McDonalds. My friend donated the contents of her late mother's summer camp last spring and I helped her with the boxes. It looked like they have all types of items there.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

I thought there was also one right in downtown-maybe it's not there anymore.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I thought there was also one right in downtown-maybe it's not there anymore.
RLW Quote:
Originally Posted by tis

Quote:
I think there is a store I believe it is Gilford or right on the Laconia/Gilford line. It is between the Union Diner and McDonald's same side of the street.
There is a Salvation Army in between Rt 106 and Rt 11A on Rt3 almost right across the street from CVS, going North on Rt3 in would be right after the hospital entrance. The Goodwill is on Pleasant St
Old 07-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
Coolbreeze

Do your feet a favor, buy a pair of hikers of your/her own. You need not spend 2-300 dollars but get a pair so you can enjoy the hike and avoid carrying the person out with sore or blistered feet. I have taken day hikes with Merrill shoes with vibram soles and they weren't expensive and I love the shoes. Llbean also has great options...
Don't buy second hand shoes for hiking mt washington...could become a blistering mistake.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coolbreeze For This Useful Post:
Electric man (07-31-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #11
winniethepooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula View Post
Based on the fact that your GF sister does not have hiking boots, I would assume that she has not hiked before/recently. I would be very concerned about hiking Mt. Washington. It is a long haul!
We're definitely mulling over our game plan with that in mind. Throw in some of the lovely weather we had today, and my alarm bells are going off! We'll be taking it as nice and easy as we can.
winniethepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:26 AM   #12
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniethepooh View Post
We're definitely mulling over our game plan with that in mind. Throw in some of the lovely weather we had today, and my alarm bells are going off! We'll be taking it as nice and easy as we can.
Why not start smaller, like Mt. Monadnock or Mt. Major?

Mt. Washington isn't necessarily the easiest hike.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #13
Flylady

Default Protect ur Feet

I agree, Merrill footware (Moeb) for hiking is not that expensive and a good investment. I have two pair (one on each coast) and am looking at buying another (high top) for better ankle support.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #14
Dave M

Default On the other hand

Doesn't buying a new pair of hiking shoes require breaking in. I'd make
sure that shoe is a good fit.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #15
Long Pine

Default Check the weather

It wasn't clear from your initial comments whether you had hiked Mount Washington before. If you have not, you may not be as familiar with how different the weather can be on the summit. Just a tip to check http://www.mountwashington.org within 24 hours of your trip. Go the the "Weather" tab and check "Higher Summits Forecast". For example, it says tomorrow will be in the upper 40s with winds of 15-30 mph. Good to know ahead of time so you can pack the appropriate gear. Enjoy and be safe.
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #16
fatlazyless

Default ...hiking Ply Wmt

For about twenty five dollars the Plymouth Walmart should have hiking boots; both above and below the ankle styles, that are incredibly good for just 25-bucks ... plus you can walk em all around the store to see if they are right....or go to Plymouth Ski & Sports on Main St for some real nice Merrill's for $125.

The Walmart brand name for hiking boots/shoes is Ozark Trail and for 25-30-dollars they are real nice, plus u get to wear them all around the store before paying to make sure they is a good fit before ascending the super-steep Sphinx Trail up Mt Adams or someplace like that ......the Laughing Lion Trail over on the Royces in Grafton Notch ......ugh!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-07-2014 at 01:17 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #17
MikeF-NH

I would caution against climbing Mt Washington in "rented" or low cost footware. That mountain has claimed lives from unprepared and inexperienced hikers and is a large pill to be swallowed for the casual hiker. The least you can expect from your experience there is blisters and other foot related ailments. If you must summit that beast, do it by driving up the auto road or taking the Cog Railway.

Better options would be:
1.) Mt Monadnock: a 4-5 hour round trip with great views that most can handle even with sneakers.
2.) Mt Major: a much shorter hike (less than an hour up) and great for beginners.
3.) Mt Cardigan: a very nice and more remote mountain. Great views and nice hiking trails.

A lot of bad decisions have been made related to Mt Washington. I would plan carefully and make sure you leave information with friends/relatives about when you are leaving, when you should be back (and that you will call them when you are) and the route you will be taking.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #18
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default American made shoes and boots

Dauabb's Cobbler Shop formerly Labelle's Shoe Repair is now offering USA made shoes and boots. Check it out!
Daub's Cobbler Shop (02-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #19
glennsteely

Wink All good advice....

....but, breaking in a pair of hiking boots can be an adventure all of its own. I have done some pretty tough hiking in my days, my boots have lots of miles on them, and imo I would say, a good break in is just as important as the brand you choose. I always break my boots in wet, meaning that I put them on, tie them up and walk into the water and soak them, then I wear them, soaked all day. I keep wetting them and by the time I take them off, they are almost dry. I do this for a few days before I dry them out completely, and basically, then they are ready for some short treks, say 1 to 5 milers. The wetting and drying on your feet kind of molds the boots to your feet, this is how I do mine.....just my opinion.

Last edited by glennsteely; 08-11-2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: spelling
glennsteely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #20
SIKSUKR

I'll have to try that with my ski boots.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:37 AM   #21
glennsteely

Unhappy Sickster....

I dont think that would work with ski boots......LOL!!!