Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
angela4design

Default Best Chowder in the Lakes?

So, Chowderfest is coming up at the end of next month, and the Lodge at Belmont won last year, I think. And, Patricks won for a couple years, too. But, there are SO MANY great places around the lake. I got to sample a bunch last year, but whose should I try this year? What's the favorite out there?
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
Newbiesaukee

There was a discussion of this on the forum starting July 21, 2007 so you might begin your search there.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee
There was a discussion of this on the forum starting July 21, 2007
Old 08-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
colt17

Default question

when and where is chowderfest
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #5
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt17
when and where is chowderfest
Look for it in the Calendar: Winnipesaukee Event Calendar near the end of the month of September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design
09-30-2007
Hesky Park in Meredith.
Noon - 3pm
$5 Admission

It's a Lakes Region Tradition on the shores of Winnipesaukee, with over 2,000 hungry people in attendance, sampling the regions' best chowders!

Sample them all and vote for your favorite!
Old 08-31-2007, 05:15 AM   #6
Winnipesaukee

Front Porch in Wolfeboro. Ate there a few weeks ago and the chowdah (We're in New England people!) was awesome. Better than a lot of chowdah I've had on the Cape. Chowdah.

I don't think I've had chowdah at other Lakes Region places...
Old 08-31-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Thumbs up

Try the seafood chowdah at ELLACOYA BARN & GRILLE in Gilford. It's "to die for"!!
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:34 AM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

The subject of "best chowder" always gets me going.The old yankee's started with salt pork, onion,celery and potato's, then simmered the fish or shucked clams,added whole milk (and sometimes cream) and a dollop of butter.Salt and pepper to taste.
Now it's canned chopped clams,canned clam broth canned cooked diced potatoes and a couple pounds of FLOUR .Why does anyone think that a paste of flour makes chowder any better?
There are so many nice spices that can give a signature to your homemade chowders.I liitle touch of ginger,mace,nutmeg,cinnimon or a small splash of sherry..
My favorite?.........(drum roll,please).......the clam chowder at the old White Diamond in Center Harbor.The owner ,Mark Packard started with the old yankee recipe and added whole baby clams plus a little nutmeg.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-30-2010), Jagstersmom (08-29-2010)
Old 08-31-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
Newbiesaukee

By "old" White Diamond I assume it no longer exists. It's funny, the older I get, the more I remember things tasting better when I was younger. Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread by reminiscing.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:15 PM   #10
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Completely Agree !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
Now it's canned chopped clams,canned clam broth canned cooked diced potatoes and a couple pounds of FLOUR .Why does anyone think that a paste of flour makes chowder any better?
Samiam is right on the money, I've used this recipe for 20 years, sometimes I add firm white fish (haddock, cod) and a little paprika. I also like the sweet onions instead of regular yellow onion.

Name:  Chowder 1.jpg
Views: 2260
Size:  72.7 KB

maybe I'll make a batch for the Forum Fest.... hummmmm I'm getting hungry!
Old 09-01-2007, 09:06 AM   #11
SAMIAM

Yikes,Newbie.....I'm giving my age away.The White Diamond was a wonderful upscale restaurant in the area back in.......hmmm,,...let me see...the late 1970's ,I think.It was located on shore drive in Center Harbor and is now a condo.They used to serve the best veal oskar on the planet......it was served with white asparagus and king crab.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
Yikes,Newbie.....I'm giving my age away.The White Diamond was a wonderful upscale restaurant in the area back in.......hmmm,,...let me see...the late 1970's ,I think.It was located on shore drive in Center Harbor and is now a condo.They used to serve the best veal oskar on the planet......it was served with white asparagus and king crab.
Just curious, was the recipe something like this?

Veal Oskar No. 2232 Yields 4 Servings

4 Veal Cutlets, Cut 1/2" Crabmeat, Carefully
Thick Picked Over
4 Tbls Butter - Buttered Asparagus
1 tsp Salt Tips
1/8 tsp Pepper - Bearnaise Sauce
1/3 Cup Dry White Wine
1/2 Lb Lump or Backfin

Brown the cutlets, several at a time, in butter in a large, heavy skillet over
moderately high heat (5-10 minutes).
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Add the wine.
Cover.
Simmer until tender (about 20 minutes).
Saute the crabmeat in a separate skillet with more butter for 3 to 4 minutes.
Arrange the veal on a platter.
Spoon crabmeat over each cutlet.
Pour the veal cooking liquid into the skillet in which the crabmeat was
cooked.
Boil rapidly, uncovered, to reduce to 1/4 cup (for 4 servings, adjust as
needed).
Pour over the crabmeat.
Top each portion with several asparagus tips, arranging more asparagus tips
around the platter.
Drizzle Bearnaise Sauce over.
Serve additional Bearnaise sauce alongside.

http://www.uvm.edu/~sjc/cookbook/veal-oskar.r
Old 09-13-2007, 10:05 AM   #13
nerual721

Smile Best Chowder in the Lakes Region

Hands down, the best chowder whether it be Clam, Seafood, Sausage Corn, etc. is Roland's at the Lyons' Den. I am not just saying that because I am his wife... Trust me, they are all exceptional. We will not be entering the Chowda Fest again this year as the expense of doing so is just not in our budget at this time... so, you will have to make your own comparisons by stopping by for a bowl or cup of one of his many homemade soups. -
nerual721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:18 AM   #14
GrandmaBig6

Thumbs up Buckeys

Have to throw my hat in the ring. I vote for chowder at Buckey's
GrandmaBig6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:42 AM   #15
Zee

Default Thick or Thin??

I have to agree wholeheartedly with SAMIAM on the comment about adding flour and more flour. I love clam or fish chowder but much prefer the thin more home-made type. Most restaurants serve it up so that you can stand a spoon in it. I always ask the wait staff if the chowder is thick or thin before ordering and the answer is invariably "nice and thick". THICK isn't NICE in my book.

That being said some of the best (thin) chowders I have had around the Lake are at the Village Kitchen in Moultonboro, Sandy Point and Dockside in Alton. I haven't tried many others because as soon as the wait staff say "nice and thick", I decline.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Thumbs up Seafood Chowder

I have always thought Patrick's Pub in Gilford has the best in the Lakes Region. One Friday, while the traffic thru Concord was thicker than any chowdah I've had, I turned off onto Manchester St. to the Red Blazer. The seafood chowdah was phenomenol! I also had the fried clams and they were the best I've had outside of Kennebunkport!

I know. Red Blazer is not in the Lakes Region but it is just off I-93. Most of us that travel can just 'pop in'.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:55 PM   #17
Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaBig6
Have to throw my hat in the ring. I vote for chowder at Buckey's

Bucky's does have awesome good chowda.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:56 PM   #18
PennyPenny

Default Best Chowder

I think Buckey's chowder is very tasty also, however, it is from a bag. Chowder is very expensive and time consumming to make as most restaurant personal know. You should try some of their other homemade soups if you get a chance though. Nothing like a good soup to start your meal or warm you up on a chilly day.
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:01 PM   #19
skisox24

Default Great Chowder

The best chowder I have tasted in the region is at Kevin's Cafe in Moultonborough. I do not particularly enjoy pasty flour thickened chowder, but rather, I enjpy fresh ingredients and a fresh and flavorful taste. Kevin's has never disappointed.
skisox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #20
Just Sold

Talking Chowda's and more

I love a good clam chowda anytime I can get it. The thick and canned versions are so so and only in desperation do I have them.

But how about oyster (stew) chowda or lobster newberg. My mom made them and they were outstanding. Wish I could find a resturant who makes these and hopefully they will rival my mom's. Not many do the oyster version.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:38 AM   #21
colt17

Default Great Time

It was our first chowda fest and the wife and I had a great time. Cruised into the town docks at 11 walked the craft fair and then headed in for lunch Weather was perfect and the boat ride home was great even with a full belly Chowda fest will be a must do for us for years to come.....
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:16 PM   #22
SAMIAM

Hey,Just Sold....you are talking my language.I LOVE oyster stew but don't often put it on the menu at the Village Kitchen because it is a little pricey.When we serve it,we use the standard old yankee recipe that we got from Gerry Smith.She was married to Center Harbor farmer and selectman Aaron Smith and she got the recipe from her mother.Pretty simple,really.......braise the oysters in a little butter until the edges curl.Add scalded cream and a little milk,salt and pepper and a tiny dash of nutmeg.The secret is not to eat it on the day that it's made.Let it sit over night so that the flavors all steep.....then slowly heat it and add a dollop of butter to each bowl.Haven't thought about it until you made your post........if I knew you were around,I'd make a batch....and help you eat it.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:26 PM   #23
suem1011

Default Lobster Newburg

Check out the lobster buffet at Kevin's Cafe for Lobster Newburg. He has the buffet the last sunday of each month (make reservations!) and one of the items is a great newburg.
suem1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #24
finch

Default Who won the chowder fest?

Does anyone know who placed for the chowder fest? This was my first chowder fest ( yum...can't wait for next year and to try out some of the restaurants we discovered). I had a hard time making a choice for first, second and third place. What a great diversity of chowders.
finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:03 AM   #25
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee
I have to agree wholeheartedly with SAMIAM on the comment about adding flour and more flour. I love clam or fish chowder but much prefer the thin more home-made type. Most restaurants serve it up so that you can stand a spoon in it. I always ask the wait staff if the chowder is thick or thin before ordering and the answer is invariably "nice and thick". THICK isn't NICE in my book.

That being said some of the best (thin) chowders I have had around the Lake are at the Village Kitchen in Moultonboro, Sandy Point and Dockside in Alton. I haven't tried many others because as soon as the wait staff say "nice and thick", I decline.
"Thin" is usually canned! As in anything else, Spaghetti sauce, etc. I love my Tomato Sauce like "Pudding" most people don't.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #26
angela4design

Default And the Winner...

This Year's Winner was THE LODGE AT BELMONT... again! [Article HERE.]

(They won Last year!)
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #27
Rattlesnake Guy

Thumbs up

Gal and I ate at 51 Mill Street in Wolfeboro the other night. The pub menu was much more our style so we sat in the pub. Gal said that she had heard the New England Clam Chowder was really good on the forum. I ordered it and would have to say it was incredible. I have had it in many places and this may be my favorite. My burger was great and the fish and chips that Gal had was enjoyed. I could not get over how good the sweet potato fries were.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:35 AM   #28
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Kevin's Cafe chowder

My husband and I have been wanting to have dinner at Kevin's Cafe all summer. Each time we'd drive by enroute to the cottage, and say "we must try Kevin's". This past weekend we closed camp , and had the pleasure of FANTASTIC meals at Kevin's on Saturday night. We are hooked! They are the best kept secret in the Lakes Region, barring none (but I hope more folks will discover it). We ordered "take-out" for the trip home to Connecticut yesterday, and had Kevin's clam chowder. Oh my gosh.... the BEST we've ever had! I hereby cast my vote for Kevin's, as the Clam Chowder King.....and an amazing dining experience regardless of your food choices!
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #29
Jagstersmom

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual721 View Post
Hands down, the best chowder whether it be Clam, Seafood, Sausage Corn, etc. is Roland's at the Lyons' Den. I am not just saying that because I am his wife... Trust me, they are all exceptional. We will not be entering the Chowda Fest again this year as the expense of doing so is just not in our budget at this time... so, you will have to make your own comparisons by stopping by for a bowl or cup of one of his many homemade soups. -
I have to agree!! We come every year for a few weeks and the Lyon's Den is always a must go to! The chowder is wonderful, reminiscent of my Aunt Lil in Marblehead, Mass. Brings back alot of memories....and so yummy. We'll be seeing you soon, keep the Chowda hot!
Jagstersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #30
Argie's Wife

My house!

I use heavy cream, a lot more butter, and have fried salt pork and oyster crackers to top it all off. No water in my clam or fish chowda.

You can stand a spoon up in it.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #31
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
My house!

I use heavy cream, a lot more butter, and have fried salt pork and oyster crackers to top it all off. No water in my clam or fish chowda.

Yes AW- I call the cream and butter Love. Lots of love in most of my cooking!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #32
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
My house!

YES, that is the way to do it. What time is lunch?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #33
Meredith lady

who doesn't use cream and butter? My quiche is loaded with both!
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #34
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Thumbs down Oyster crackers

are pathetic to use in chowdah. Try to find the VT common crackers. Will turn any chowdah to a gourmet feast.

This is where to local restuarants falls apart.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #35
trfour

Thumbs up My Mom's Chowder Never Needed Any Crackers...

She took her delicious recipe west, along with many others, and they always sold out at her Restaurant [ Mom's Kitchen ] and with the rest of us as well. The Best On This Planet!

Now, all of that never kept her from enjoying the many different flavors at the many wonderful restaurants here in the Lakes Region either!

Mom having eleven children was very happy in knowing how to cook, as well!!

Love You Mom,
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 09-02-2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #36
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
She took her delicious recipe west, along with many others, and they always sold out at her Restaurant [ Mom's Chicken ] and with the rest of us as well. The Best On This Planet!

Now, all of that never kept her from enjoying the many different flavors at the many wonderful restaurants here in the Lakes Region either!

Mom having eleven children was very happy in knowing how to cook, as well!!

Love You Mom,
Terry
My kids like the crunchies and especially the fried salt pork. I think the crackers are a personal choice; I like them because they soak up the butter globules on the top of the chowder - yum.

My dad would make a dinner with salt pork, boiled potatoes, and a white gravy from the pork grease called "Poor Man's Supper". I have no idea if it was a real dish or not, but I loved it... that's before I knew it was a heart attack on a plate...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #37
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design View Post
So, Chowderfest is coming up at the end of next month, and the Lodge at Belmont won last year, I think. And, Patricks won for a couple years, too. But, there are SO MANY great places around the lake. I got to sample a bunch last year, but whose should I try this year? What's the favorite out there?
Lyons Den - had it this past weekend and my 90 year old Father-in-Law said it was the best he ever had - now that's an endorsement! I agree.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #38
trfour

Smile I Hear Ya...

[QUOTE=Argie's Wife;138937]My kids like the crunchies and especially the fried salt pork. I think the crackers are a personal choice; I like them because they soak up the butter globules on the top of the chowder - yum.

My Mom had an app for that... Along with her chowdaH's, clam, fish and corn, she would bake up some delicious cream-of-tarter biscuits to go with the butter in the broth! Absolutely Yum!!!!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote