Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
Nola

Default AM Winni Fishing

I am curious as to why a fishing boat trolling at 1.8 mph, early morning, is a magnet for all recreation travelers. When I can see a half mile of open water in each direction, why is it necessary to rip by 35' away at 30? My favorite is the wave on the way by. Brilliant.
Nola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
MikeF-NH

I have noticed this a lot also during the busier seasons....rec boaters seem to come by very closely to me as I troll despite a lot of open water and room to give me a wide birth. I've chalked it up to curiosity....they are hoping to see you catch a fish as they pass. With planer boards out 30 feet on each side of my boat...I've had a couple of close calls wondering if they would hit them. I don't think a lot of rec boaters know what they are or that trolling boats often have them out.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
ITD

I think many people on the water have no idea where they are and figure if they drive near another boat they will be safe from rocks. I notice this on my sailboat, where sometimes to save a tack or two I will go places that no motor boat with a spinning prop should venture. Invariably someone will follow me in, even if I'm headed straight to shore less than 20 feet from rocks. ( A couple hundred feet from said shore)
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Nola

All reasonable thoughts, but also concerning as well. Lake knowledge is important, especially at 30-40 MPH, and with passengers.
All that said, it was somewhat quiet yesterday morning and we absolutely killed it out there. 16 fish, 4 different species, and docked by noon. It was a great morning.
Nola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
dt5150

ah.. one of my biggest gripes. i'll never understand it either, why people will buzz by you at closer than they should ranges when they have all kinds of room.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links