Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2019, 11:00 PM   #1
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Local service

I think there are some over expectations on this part of the forum, especially on the shoulder seasons. I worked at a local restaurant a couple of summers. Especially in the spring and fall, it was local trade. I recall, after going to college, my parents stopped in and wrote that "Bob X, a local general contractor, was pouring coffee and taking orders " Made sense to me as I had done the same thing when I was not an employee, but had helped out to keep things working. I know those days are gone, but I think newcomers (less than 30 years, to be generous for age) need to have an understanding of what it takes to run a seasonal business. Everybody helps!!. If you have to get your own extra water or napkins, that is not to complain about. You should be posting on TripAdvisor or FB about how friendly everybody is/was or how you were welcomed into the local atmosphere. If you've never been on the other side of the table/bar, here's your chance. Just be a good Scout and help out. We've done this in the Lakes Region, pubs in London and in Greece. Just be helpful and don't knock the staff for being overwhelmed. Be warned, you'll start over-tipping. And ask to help before you just jump in. There's a knack to this stuff.
Help, don't complain. Oh! A big smile, nothing else, is good hep too.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (02-04-2019), Reilly (02-02-2019)