Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
Oregonrain

Location: For now I live in Lebanon, OR, but this summer I'll be living somewhere in the Lakes Region
Default Moving to Lakes Region later this summer

Hi all! I've been reading through the forums since my husband and I decided to move to the Lakes Region. My husband is a Lynn, MA native. I've grown up in the great Pacific Northwest. I have lived in some states back east, but as that was when I was less than 5 years of age, I don't think it counts... besides I lived in Air Force bases that are no longer in commission.

We are planning to move later this summer as there is a lot that needs to be done here before we can make the move. We've been looking at all of the Lakes Region, but I find myself drawn to Ossippee and Wolfeboro the most. I love being able to watch the Weirs Cam every day as this allows me (a rainy Pacific Northwest woman) to see what kind of weather you get back there. I must say the amount of snow is rather intimidating... right now, we have trees leafing out and daffodils blooming and you're still under a ton of snow!!

When does the first snow fall? I'd like to be moved and settled before then. Thanks everyone for the forum and all the wonderful information on it!
Oregonrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
camp guy

Default Moving to Lakes region later this summer

If I remember right (and that is questionable), we had 2 feet on Hallowe'en 2 years ago. Of course, this was very unusual.

I guess I would have to suggest being all moved by the end of October, just in case the weather did do something silly like snow.

Since you have been reading the postings on this site about moving, you should have a pretty good idea about some things. Good luck to you.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
Merrymeeting

Yes, it does happen that it snows in October, and some in November. But when that happens, it usually doesn't last, and that is not the norm.

I'd say you want to be here by Oct 1st. But that's only because Fall here is beautiful and you would be here for the foliage that many travel from all over to see.

But if avoiding snow during a move is the concern, most years you would be ok at least through Thanksgiving.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
Jeanzb1

Welcome to the Lakes Region! We are originally from North Andover, MA but moved into our Florida condo back in 2008. We spent six months in Florida and six months renting on the Big Lake and LOVED every single day! Finally, we decided last year that we would sell the Florida condo and buy a year-round house up here, which we did. We bought the house in August but didn't move in until October. We're in Gilford with water access, only a stone's throw from the lake. Yes, we liked Wolfeboro, too, but Meredith and Gilford were so much more convenient as far as groceries, Lowe's, etc. etc. My recommendation would be to rent a place for a year or so before you buy a home in a town that you're not very familiar with. That way you will find your niche before you buy! I wish you well!
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanzb1 For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
RLW

Smile

Oregonrain, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

I believe you will enjoy your decision on coming to the lake region.

Oregonrain (03-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
Irish mist

You might want to take Jeanzb1's advice and look at renting for a year before you buy. Until you are in the area it's difficult to get a feel for what each town is like. Good luck
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #7
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Do yourself a favor and watch the tax rates in each town. Some are far worse than others.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Do yourself a favor and watch the tax rates in each town. Some are far worse than others.
Yes, Oregonrain, you mentioned Ossipe and Ossipee is a higher tax town.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
Mr. V

Have you been back to the Lakes Region yet?

I fly back to visit family every couple of years, and am always startled by how different things are in NH than "back home" in the Pac NW.

For example, there are few old cars and trucks, as they rust out quickly.

Many more American cars than imports, unlike out west.

Nice place to visit.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
Oregonrain

Location: For now I live in Lebanon, OR, but this summer I'll be living somewhere in the Lakes Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I've been watching the tax rates. Are there storage buildings in the area? If so, about how much would they be? Thank you all for the welcome and the information. I appreciate it!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #11
Jeanzb1

There are so many considerations that you reallllllly need to think about before you commit to buying a home. Yes, certainly, financial issues are number one. But one thing that we thought about was "the other six months of the year." Summer on the lake is THE BEST, but then there is winter. I mention this because we had the opportunity to buy a small place right on the lake, surrounded by summer camps, and we almost jumped at it, but then we had to think about what life would be like six months a year without our wonderful summer neighbors. We are very much people-people, so we decided that it would be too desolate half of the year. Wolfeboro is definitely a year-round community, but I'm not so sure about Ossipee. Can someone more knowledgable chime in here?
Old 03-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #12
Oregonrain

My husband and I are people people as well, but we also like some quiet time. Are there any wood workers or wood working groups in the LR?
Old 03-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #13
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
There are so many considerations that you reallllllly need to think about before you commit to buying a home. Yes, certainly, financial issues are number one. But one thing that we thought about was "the other six months of the year." Summer on the lake is THE BEST, but then there is winter. I mention this because we had the opportunity to buy a small place right on the lake, surrounded by summer camps, and we almost jumped at it, but then we had to think about what life would be like six months a year without our wonderful summer neighbors. We are very much people-people, so we decided that it would be too desolate half of the year. Wolfeboro is definitely a year-round community, but I'm not so sure about Ossipee. Can someone more knowledgable chime in here?
We settled in Tuftonboro and are very happy with the town. I find Ossipee a little lacking in things off season. I didn't realize how high the tax rate was in Ossipee!
Tuftonboro is much more reasonable, yet close to Wolfeboro for things to do. Moultonboro is also nice. One thing I have noticed is on this side of Winni we are an hour from any serious shopping. On-line shopping is really a necessity for Christmas and holidays. It really depends what kind of activities you want. I like peace and quiet, but I do find the winters can be a bit lonely.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #14
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Just gotta do it.... a plug for Alton.

Alton and Alton Bay (two zip codes, one town. Alton) has low tax rate, is 20 mins to Wolfeboro, 20 mins to Gilford or Laconia, less than an hour to the Seacoast, 40 minutes to Concord, less than an hour to Manchester, and about 40 minutes to the Tilton Outlet Mall.

We have lived here since 1996, and love the feel of a small town, lots of nice friendly people, and good hiking areas in town. Scenic areas to live or just visit.

Take a look and give it a try.

And Welcome to the Forum.
Cindido (03-07-2014), Oregonrain (03-06-2014), riverat (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #15
riverat

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Alton and Alton Bay (two zip codes, one town. Alton) has low tax rate, is 20 mins to Wolfeboro, 20 mins to Gilford or Laconia, less than an hour to the Seacoast, 40 minutes to Concord, less than an hour to Manchester, and about 40 minutes to the Tilton Outlet Mall.

We have lived here since 1996, and love the feel of a small town, lots of nice friendly people, and good hiking areas in town. Scenic areas to live or just visit.

Take a look and give it a try.

And Welcome to the Forum.
I second Alton area. And a couple of storage facilities with an average of 150.00/mo for a 10'X20'
upthesaukee (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #16
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonrain View Post
My husband and I are people people as well, but we also like some quiet time. Are there any wood workers or wood working groups in the LR?

I don't know about groups, but there are plenty of wood workers. We have some excellent wood workers here.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #17
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
We settled in Tuftonboro and are very happy with the town. I find Ossipee a little lacking in things off season. I didn't realize how high the tax rate was in Ossipee!
Tuftonboro is much more reasonable, yet close to Wolfeboro for things to do. Moultonboro is also nice. One thing I have noticed is on this side of Winni we are an hour from any serious shopping. On-line shopping is really a necessity for Christmas and holidays. It really depends what kind of activities you want. I like peace and quiet, but I do find the winters can be a bit lonely.

Have you ever noticed fatlazyless's signature? livin'on that walmart side of the lake? I think that sums it up. You have to decide what you want.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #18
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
... But one thing that we thought about was "the other six months of the year." Summer on the lake is THE BEST, but then there is winter. ....but then we had to think about what life would be like six months a year without our wonderful summer neighbors.
Much of how one views life in the quieter times of the year depends on the individual. One can feel utterly alone and isolated in New York City or completely surrounded by human warmth in a very rural, sparsely populated community. There certainly is plenty to do up here in the Lakes Region throughout the year, from all types of outdoor activity to indoor groups of folks with common interests. Sometimes it can be an effort not to become "overbooked." It's all up to the individual to make it happen.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #19
Oregonrain

Thank you everyone for all the information! I think moving there is going to be good. It's going to be a wonderful adventure and will add many new friends to my life!

I look forward to meeting fellow wood workers and learning from them. I just started wood working and there's much to learn. I also look forward to getting involved in a good church group.

There is much to be done before the move so I will sign off (for now... hehe) and start doing what needs to be done so we can move sooner rather than later...

If we had our way, we'd be there this weekend!!

Last edited by Oregonrain; 03-07-2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: wanted to add a bit more
Old 03-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #20
Chaselady

It's definitely a beautiful place to live.
You also need to take into account what kind of health care you will require. Take note of distances to major medical centers and availability of doctors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-08-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #21
Cindido

Default Moving to Lakes region later this summer

I'll be the 3rd vote for the Alton area - having just moved to the Wolfeboro side of Alton Bay in October. We're 7 miles into downtown Wolfeboro, approximately 15 miles to Gilford (for Lowes, TJ Maxx, Walmart, etc) and 5 miles to the Alton circle for a 1.5 hour trip to Boston. Low taxes too. I love this side of the lake! Renting is a great idea since all the lake towns are beautiful and different in their own way. Happy Packing !!!

Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cindido For This Useful Post:
ghfromaltonbay (03-07-2014), upthesaukee (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #22
Oregonrain

Has anyone in Ossipee seen this house, on 100 Moultonville? http://www.beangroup.com/homes/NH/Os...le/2134329378/
Old 03-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #23
SunsetPointWentworth

Quote:
Has anyone in Ossipee seen this house, on 100 Moultonville? http://www.beangroup.com/homes/NH/Os...le/2134329378/
It looks like a nice place. Makes me skeptical of what they don't list. $99,900 seems low.
SunsetPointWentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SunsetPointWentworth For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #24
HellRaZoR004

I would be skeptical of a house that old. You would pay for more in utilities over the life of the house then buying something a little newer. Especially this past winter
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #25
Jeanzb1

I agree with the above two posts. There is a reason why a house that big is so low priced. In addition, the heating costs will be astronomical, as I doubt there is much insulation in a house of that vintage. I still think you should rent here for a year before you buy. But that's just my opinion.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #26
tis

Be very careful of your location too. Make sure it is where you would want to be.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #27
riverat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Be very careful of your location too. Make sure it is where you would want to be.
That is a very rural area, I have been through center ossipee and the general ossipee area all my life. good people but can be rough around the edges especially if you are not from a rural area. ei: roads, stores, restaurants. it is a mountain/hilly area, best to have a suv for transportation.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #28
minni on winni

I know very little about Ossipee other than my niece met a guy from there and they got an apt together. After 9 months she said if they ever get married they won't be looking in Ossipee for a home, Not enough going on. No real shopping nearby. Only two restaurants .very isolated especially in winter.
minni on winni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #29
Jeanzb1

I've heard that, too. Too rural and too far from modern conveniences. I think the novelty would wear off very quickly -- at least it would for me!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #30
wifi

Default Different strokes for ..

If you like living in the cities with noise, lights, traffic and something open 24 hrs/day, then Ossipee is most likely not something you want to consider for a permanent residence. If you want neighbors that can't see your house from theirs, the opportunity to own larger tracts of land, aren't scared of wildlife in your yard, capable of living without emergency services being minutes away, and can plan living supplies, then Ossipee is more your style.

I'm fortunate enough to have places that match both. I live on the lake, but sometimes, in the summer, I just have to get away to the sanity that relative solitude brings.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #31
Oregonrain

Thank you for the input. I grew up in a rural area and don't mind the solitude. We are thinking we should do a 'scouting' trip this spring and spend some time looking at all the different areas. I agree that renting would be the smart thing to do... but no one ever accused me of being smart!! (joking) Besides, I really want to move once, not twice. I think we'll be out this spring and scout the areas. Thank you everyone!!
Old 03-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #32
September

Default local paper

You might subscribe to the local weekly newspaper, the Granite State News to give you an idea of happenings, issues being discussed in the letters to the editor, etc. Not sure the website but phone number is 603-569-3126.
September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #33
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetPointWentworth View Post
It looks like a nice place. Makes me skeptical of what they don't list. $99,900 seems low.
Yeah and look at the taxes. $2300 for a $99,000 house? My house is worth $223,000 and I don't pay that much for taxes in Moultonborough.....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #34
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Yeah and look at the taxes. $2300 for a $99,000 house? My house is worth $223,000 and I don't pay that much for taxes in Moultonborough.....
Moultonborough has one of the lowest tax rates in the state. Ossipee is on the low side as well, but almost double what Moultonborough is. Belmont, Sanbornton, Tilton are all most 3 times that of Moultonborough. You need to really look at the rates for each town and what services you get.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #35
Oregonrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Moultonborough has one of the lowest tax rates in the state. Ossipee is on the low side as well, but almost double what Moultonborough is. Belmont, Sanbornton, Tilton are all most 3 times that of Moultonborough. You need to really look at the rates for each town and what services you get.
On the chance of sounding ignorant, what do you mean? I know you mean to look at the tax rates, which I do when I look at houses on the market, but how do I find the rates for towns? By services, do you mean: police, fire, hospitals, and such? Your way of doing taxes is some what different than what I'm used to.

My head is about to burst with all this wonderful information... Thank you, everyone for helping me!
Old 03-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #36
AmantiDelLago

You can Google tax rates for towns. As for services, what you mentioned and things like school systems, trash pick up or dump, fire and ems staffing (24 hr, days, nights, weekends?). Or the services you currently have where you live now. I would also consider condition of town buildings to see if the town will need some sort of bond for a new $100 million school!
AmantiDelLago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AmantiDelLago For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-09-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #37
tis

Oregon, this explains the taxes and on the right is a list of towns with the rate per thousand dollars of valuation.

http://www.joeshimkus.com/NH-Tax-Rates.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-09-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #38
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts
Default Community profiles

You can access a profile by town here:

http://www.nhes.nh.gov/elmi/products/cp/

Last edited by Slickcraft; 03-08-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-09-2014), pjard (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #39
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetPointWentworth View Post
Also.....only has 100amp service. Don't run the toaster and the hair dryer at the same time.
A lot of house for the money, though. Just needs a few upgrades.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #40
tis

If I had to guess I would say it is most likely the location. I think Moultonville is a less expensive area than some.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #41
Oregonrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Have you been back to the Lakes Region yet?

I fly back to visit family every couple of years, and am always startled by how different things are in NH than "back home" in the Pac NW.

For example, there are few old cars and trucks, as they rust out quickly.

Many more American cars than imports, unlike out west.

Nice place to visit.

I've never been to the Lakes Region. My husband used to camp there when he was younger.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #42
Ropetow

Quote:
I would hate to see the heating bills for that place….
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #43
CateP

Default A Moving Experience

Hi OregonRain-
As many forum members know I pretty much documented my whole relocating experience here in the forum. Tons of odd questions answered by the exceedingly patient forum members. You can read my threads here:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...8&pp=25&page=2

Start around page 2 and go backwards through pages 3 and 4.

Good luck with your search. It really is fun looking at all the different towns and locations. An in-person scouting trip is essential, but many of us have inside info on pros and cons of various towns. For example, Alton is a fantastic location, but they are prone to power outages and high bandwidth internet is not available in some areas.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #44
Lakeboater

I tried that link but it came up with no matches.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #45
Oregonrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Hi OregonRain-
As many forum members know I pretty much documented my whole relocating experience here in the forum. Tons of odd questions answered by the exceedingly patient forum members. You can read my threads here:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...8&pp=25&page=2

Good luck with your search. It really is fun looking at all the different towns and locations. An in-person scouting trip is essential, but many of us have inside info on pros and cons of various towns. For example, Alton is a fantastic location, but they are prone to power outages and high bandwidth internet is not available in some areas.
Thank you, I was able to read much of what you've written because the moderator gave me a link to it. Here's the link he sent me- http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11412

I hope this one works. Unfortunately the link you have is broken and nothing shows up. I really enjoy reading everything. Internet is important to me as most of our business is done on it.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #46
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
A search URL like this is temporary and only good for that session. It won't work for others.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #47
Oregonrain

Please forgive my ignorance, but is all lake front property open to public access? If we were to buy a home that had some lake frontage, would the public be on it too?

Like this place: http://www.beangroup.com/homes/NH/Mo...ho/2134338024/

Is it open to the public or just the people in that community?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #48
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Please forgive my ignorance, but is all lake front property open to public access? If we were to buy a home that had some lake frontage, would the public be on it too?

Like this place: http://www.beangroup.com/homes/NH/Mo...ho/2134338024/

Is it open to the public or just the people in that community?
The beach at Far Echo is for the members. It's technically not a public beach, but you would be sharing with other members of the community. The particular house in the link is not directly on the water. "This paradise [beach] is a very short walk down the quaint 'deer path' from this home."

There is a very nice public beach in Moultonborough that is for the use of residents of the town.

I have lakefront property and our beach area is private. We abut a "right of way" that allows access to the water for other houses on our road, but there is no beach. There are lots of ways for folks to enjoy Lake Winnipesaukee without having lakefront property.
Oregonrain (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #49
Chaselady

The water access description states "shared private". You don't own it, but you can use it, along with everyone else in that community. The general public probably not allowed. Always double check with the realtors.
Good deal if you don't mind sharing. And it has a dock which is a big plus!
Old 03-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #50
Chaselady

Oops, missed Wakeboard Mom's reply!
Double check also the association dues on any community type property.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #51
Oregonrain

I don't mind sharing, it's just we have 2 dogs, one of which is a barker... he just won't stop if there's someone on or near the property. I'm thinking it might be better if we were away from the water a bit and more closer to the woods. I don't want to annoy anyone with a barking dog.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #52
Steveo

Quote:
I don't mind sharing, it's just we have 2 dogs, one of which is a barker... he just won't stop if there's someone on or near the property. I'm thinking it might be better if we were away from the water a bit and more closer to the woods. I don't want to annoy anyone with a barking dog.
I really appreciate that opinion. Sounds travel very far over the water, especially barking dogs. We have one quite a ways away from us on the lake, still so very annoying.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #53
Oregonrain

I so don't want to be the 'annoying neighbor' that everyone hates!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Oregonrain For This Useful Post:
Steveo (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #54
Lakesrider

Did I mention my house is for sale........

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/20...12990936_zpid/
It is for sale, no matter what Zillow says.
Asking $223,000.00
Furniture goes with it if wanted....

Sorry Shamless plug......
Old 03-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #55
Oregonrain

Quote:
Did I mention my house is for sale........

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/20...12990936_zpid/
It is for sale, no matter what Zillow says.
Asking $223,000.00
Furniture goes with it if wanted....

Sorry Shamless plug......
You have a lovely house! But those foxes would get my chickens... lol.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #56
Lakesrider

Your bringing chickens from Oregon?
Old 03-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #57
Barney Bear

Default Chickens from the Left Coast

Perhaps for western omletets?
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #58
Oregonrain

Quote:
Your bringing chickens from Oregon?
No. I had some chickens and want more, but I'm not bringing them from Oregon. It would be better to buy some once we get settled. I'd like to have some other small farm animals too... we'll just have to wait and see what we end up with once we get there.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #59
Oregonrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
Perhaps for western omletets?
With ham, cheese, onions, mushrooms, green peppers, spinach and avocado.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #60
CateP

Quote:
Hi OregonRain-
As many forum members know I pretty much documented my whole relocating experience here in the forum. Tons of odd questions answered by the exceedingly patient forum members.
I think you can click on my name and under the Statistics tab read all threads started by me. Those threads have a list of all the questions I asked. The link our Webmaster gave you took you to only one thread.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #61
tis

If you want farm animals, you need to make sure the land is zoned for that.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #62
jrc

If you are still considering shared property, condos or houses with shared lake access. Almost all will have rules about dogs and farm animals. Make sure you know the rules going in. Plus the town will have rules regarding farm animals.

Most west coast people are shocked at how strict the rules are in the east.

For example, you will find very few shared beaches that allow dogs.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #63
chasedawg

Default house in Tuftonboro

http://www.maxfieldrealestate.com/pr...me-Road/587695

room for everything! been on the market a while. might be negotiable?
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #64
Oregonrain

Quote:
If you want farm animals, you need to make sure the land is zoned for that.
Isn't all land outside of towns ok for farm animals? I don't really want to go with associations just because they've got a lot of rules and regulations.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #65
tis

Not necessarily. It might depend on the rules for each town, but I know some make you be in the agricultural district if you want to have farm animals. You want to make sure to ask your realtor or someone about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #66
Oregonrain

Quote:
Not necessarily. It might depend on the rules for each town, but I know some make you be in the agricultural district if you want to have farm animals. You want to make sure to ask your realtor or someone about it.
I'm thinking I might be in for a tiny bit of 'culture' shock when I move there. I'm learning so many things that I need to know. Thank you everyone!! I truly appreciate all the help you've given me!
Old 03-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #67
tis

Yes, we have lots of rules and regulations here.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #68
Grandpa Redneck

Quote:
Yes, we have lots of rules and regulations here.
That all really depends on where you are in the state, up here a little north of the Lakes Region, in the edge of the White Mountain National Forest, most towns are pretty much free of overbearing nanny type rules n regs, and we are doing our best to keep it that way, in spite of the seemingly non stop influx of those that prefer a nanny state system of governmental interference
Old 03-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #69
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Redneck View Post
That all really depends on where you are in the state, up here a little north of the Lakes Region, in the edge of the White Mountain National Forest, most towns are pretty much free of overbearing nanny type rules n regs, and we are doing our best to keep it that way, in spite of the seemingly non stop influx of those that prefer a nanny state system of governmental interference
Good for you Grandpa. I think the north/ north western part of the state has less rules and regulations also.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #70
Oregonrain

Quote:
Good for you Grandpa. I think the north/ north western part of the state has less rules and regulations also.
Thanks. My husband wanted to be somewhat close (within a 2-2.5 hour drive) to Boston and points where he grew up. It's always been his dream to live in the Winnipesaukee area. I've always loved the woods and lakes so I'm all for it too!

There is a place in Wentworth that I've been interested in.
http://www.lakesregionhome.com/listi...orth-nh-03282/

We don't mind doing some work on a place, it's something I enjoy doing. What I really like about this place is the trout creek running through it... I love fishing!

I can't wait till we get to come visit! I'm hoping to be there after the snow melts, maybe sometime in May or early June.
riverat (03-15-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #71
Grandpa Redneck

Oregonrain, Wentworth is the next town south of me. I am in Warren and in my opinion, the Warren/Wentworth area is a wonderful place, within a short drive to the Lakes Region, or the White mountains. A relatively quiet rural area, but only a few minutes from Plymouth for grocery shopping, Hospital, etc.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #72
Oregonrain

Quote:
Oregonrain, Wentworth is the next town south of me. I am in Warren and in my opinion, the Warren/Wentworth area is a wonderful place, within a short drive to the Lakes Region, or the White mountains. A relatively quiet rural area, but only a few minutes from Plymouth for grocery shopping, Hospital, etc.
Are they persnickety about farm animals in that area? I don't want hogs, cattle, or horses... just chickens, goats, and maybe a sheep.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #73
Grandpa Redneck

Absolutely not, I myself have chickens, and so do a lot of the folks in this area. You should have no problems with chickens, goats, sheep. Here in Warren a friend of mine living within sight of the center of town has chickens and goats. And another friend is just on the outskirts of town with cattle, and right in the middle of town a couple has miniature horses.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #74
Oregonrain

Quote:
Absolutely not, I myself have chickens, and so do a lot of the folks in this area. You should have no problems with chickens, goats, sheep. Here in Warren a friend of mine living within sight of the center of town has chickens and goats. And another friend is just on the outskirts of town with cattle, and right in the middle of town a couple has miniature horses.
I wish there was a 'like' button so I can like posts...
Old 03-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #75
tis

And I believe you can have chickens in certain areas of towns closer to Lake Winni, but you just have to make sure that the house you choose is in that area-usually called the agricultural district although some may allow chickens in other areas. All I am saying is just to find out before you buy so you won't be disappointed.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #76
Oregonrain

Quote:
And I believe you can have chickens in certain areas of towns closer to Lake Winni, but you just have to make sure that the house you choose is in that area-usually called the agricultural district although some may allow chickens in other areas. All I am saying is just to find out before you buy so you won't be disappointed.
Thank you, that is good advice. I'm going to make a list of what I want so when we really get serious about house hunting, I'll know what to look for.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #77
gf2020

Quote:

Dogs aren't allowed on the shared beach at Far Echo anyways.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #78
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
I wish there was a 'like' button so I can like posts...
The "Thanks" button serves the same purpose but you can only use it 5 times a day, then it disappears until tomorrow.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #79
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Chicken Rules

Be careful not to count (or plan on) your chickens before they hatch.

The City of Laconia already decided this matter!

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...a-oks-chickens
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #80
Chaselady

I think the article about chickens in the Laconia paper is one of the funniest things I have ever read....
I am not a farm girl, but don't you need roosters to make eggs? And who's going to keep an eye on how many cubic feet of chicken poo you have?
I've heard chickens eat ticks. I think everyone in NH should have them!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #81
Lakeboater

Chaselady, I tease, but do you need Mr. Chaselady to make eggs?
No need for roosters if you just want breakfast!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakeboater For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (03-12-2014), Oregonrain (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #82
Grandpa Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeboater View Post
Chaselady, I tease, but do you need Mr. Chaselady to make eggs?
No need for roosters if you just want breakfast!
That is a fact, unless you want more chickens, you don't need the rooster. Yes Chaselady chickens do eat ticks, ants(they love to find an anthill) and most any other insect they can find.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #83
Rusty

Most towns in the Lakes Region have GIS mapping where you can get the accessed value (and much more) of the house. When you get on the website, fill in the block that states: "Enter text here-push button below".

The below image is 100 Moultonville, Ossipee http://www.caigisonline.com/ossipeenh/
Attached Images

CateP (03-14-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #84
Oregonrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Most towns in the Lakes Region have GIS mapping where you can get the accessed value (and much more) of the house. When you get on the website, fill in the block that states: "Enter text here-push button below".

The below image is 100 Moultonville, Ossipee http://www.caigisonline.com/ossipeenh/
Unfortunately, my computer doesn't want to open that window... thanks for the link. I'll try another computer that we have and see if that works.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #85
Rusty

Quote:
Unfortunately, my computer doesn't want to open that window... thanks for the link. I'll try another computer that we have and see if that works.
The image I posted is just an example of what you will get if you go to the link I posted. It will not open...if that is what you mean.

Go to this link and fill in the blocks that pertains to what you want: http://www.caigisonline.com/ossipeenh/

It takes a while to get used to the controls that the GIS mapping has so just play around with it for a while.

Good luck.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:12 AM   #86
Oregonrain

Quote:
The image I posted is just an example of what you will get if you go to the link I posted. It will not open...if that is what you mean.

Go to this link and fill in the blocks that pertains to what you want: http://www.caigisonline.com/ossipeenh/

It takes a while to get used to the controls that the GIS mapping has so just play around with it for a while.

Good luck.
I get a message that "the silver light plugin has crashed" when I click on the link you give. I sent in a 'crash report' but that didn't do anything.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #87
Rusty

Quote:
I get a message that "the silver light plugin has crashed" when I click on the link you give. I sent in a 'crash report' but that didn't do anything.
You can download the latest Microsoft Silverlight from this website: http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/

Last edited by Rusty; 03-13-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #88
Oregonrain

Quote:
You can download the latest Microsoft Silverlight from this website: http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/
I finally got it working. Thank you.
Rusty (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #89
Rusty

Quote:
I finally got it working. Thank you.
That's good.

When you want to go to another town that might use this program you can put in the town and state at the end of the address to see if they have it. You can also go to their town website and see what the have for mapping.

Examples: http://www.caigisonline.com/moultonboroughnh/

http://www.caigisonline.com/wolfeboronh/
CateP (03-14-2014), Oregonrain (03-13-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #90
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Are they persnickety about farm animals in that area? I don't want hogs, cattle, or horses... just chickens, goats, and maybe a sheep.
They shouldn't be as they allow rockets in Warren.
Attached Images

Oregonrain (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #91
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
They shouldn't be as they allow rockets in Warren.
That is kewl... I want one

Look great with a TV antenna and rotor on top
Oregonrain (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #92
Oregonrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
That is kewl... I want one

Look great with a TV antenna and rotor on top
Would even be better with a ham radio antenna on it!!
Old 03-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #93
wifi

Quote:
Would even be better with a ham radio antenna on it!!

I could (legally) do that too
Oregonrain (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #94
Oregonrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
I could (legally) do that too
My husband is a ham, and I'm studying to get my general license. With all the selling on eBay and getting ready to move, I don't have much time for studying, but I'm getting there.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #95
wifi

Get your ticket, when you can, its fun.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #96
CAVU

I have lived in two different towns in NH. Tamworth and Moultonborough.. Each has their own appeal.. Tamworth for the record, is near Ossipee and Sandwich.
Tamworth was/is a beautiful small NH town. Not much has changed since the 50's. There is no zoning which means pretty much no rules!! This benefited me in building my home, I didn't have to worry about building inspectors, etc. It was easy. However, I was a bit younger less informed at the time when I purchased the land. What killed me about Tamworth were two issues. The property taxes and services. The home I built, I was hoping it was going to be worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 115-120k, well it turned out to be worth 183k!! Well more than I thought, that had me paying what would have been close to $3500 in property tax. That was well above what I could afford!! Hence, I got it on the market sold before my first $1700 property tax bill came..
Second issue I had with Tamworth was the services issue, meaning road mtx, and plowing. I had bought a nice 1.35ac lot in a quiet little development with community water. The water cost I knew which was $125 each quarter, what I never knew was that it didn't include plowing!! I thought the town plowed the road, after all with the high property taxes I thought it was given.. Again, I'm just chocking this up to being young and naive Well, we had to hire someone to plow the road. Unfortunately, with no association only half the people would pay and the other half would get a "free ride".
So in the end if you chose to live an area like Tamworth, I would personally recommend buying a road that is maintained and plowed in the winter. I would also recommend if you can take advantage of buying large acreage and putting it in current use. That will save money on property tax.
Now, I built a home in Moultonborough. I paid more for the land however, my home is worth 245k vs 183k and I pay $1552 a yr in property tax. Much more affordable for me!! I live in Suissevale, its a large association. It can be a little busy in the summer but, I live in a quiet area, 4 homes on the road, and I can walk to the lake. I love it here. The dues are $850 a yr but, the town plows the road, it includes community water, I don't ever have to worry about drilling a new well someday or testing my own water. I'm paying for piece of mind. Its still much cheaper than Tamworth. It all about exchanging one thing for the other. One thing I didn't realize about Moultonborough is that it had zoning and setback rules. I knew Suissevale had rules. What I didn't realize was Moultonborough trumps Suissevale's rules. Sooo, I had to get a little creative in setting a Cape style home with a garage on .25ac lot. I made it work and it looks great..
When it comes to living in a place like Moultonborough with all the rules, you just have to play the game. I'll admit I built wood shed to go with my house. I heat with wood. I was a little shocked that I got charged a building permit fee for it. Apparently I was suppose to file a building permit to build 4X10 wood shed.. Go figure, it seems they really don't care what you build, it more about revenue generation more than anything.
Anyway, sorry for the long winded reply, I just my experience might help you in someway..
CAVU is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CAVU For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-19-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #97
Oregonrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU View Post
I have lived in two different towns in NH. Tamworth and Moultonborough.. Each has their own appeal.. Tamworth for the record, is near Ossipee and Sandwich.
Tamworth was/is a beautiful small NH town. Not much has changed since the 50's. There is no zoning which means pretty much no rules!! This benefited me in building my home, I didn't have to worry about building inspectors, etc. It was easy. However, I was a bit younger less informed at the time when I purchased the land. What killed me about Tamworth were two issues. The property taxes and services. The home I built, I was hoping it was going to be worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 115-120k, well it turned out to be worth 183k!! Well more than I thought, that had me paying what would have been close to $3500 in property tax. That was well above what I could afford!! Hence, I got it on the market sold before my first $1700 property tax bill came..
Second issue I had with Tamworth was the services issue, meaning road mtx, and plowing. I had bought a nice 1.35ac lot in a quiet little development with community water. The water cost I knew which was $125 each quarter, what I never knew was that it didn't include plowing!! I thought the town plowed the road, after all with the high property taxes I thought it was given.. Again, I'm just chocking this up to being young and naive Well, we had to hire someone to plow the road. Unfortunately, with no association only half the people would pay and the other half would get a "free ride".
So in the end if you chose to live an area like Tamworth, I would personally recommend buying a road that is maintained and plowed in the winter. I would also recommend if you can take advantage of buying large acreage and putting it in current use. That will save money on property tax.
Now, I built a home in Moultonborough. I paid more for the land however, my home is worth 245k vs 183k and I pay $1552 a yr in property tax. Much more affordable for me!! I live in Suissevale, its a large association. It can be a little busy in the summer but, I live in a quiet area, 4 homes on the road, and I can walk to the lake. I love it here. The dues are $850 a yr but, the town plows the road, it includes community water, I don't ever have to worry about drilling a new well someday or testing my own water. I'm paying for piece of mind. Its still much cheaper than Tamworth. It all about exchanging one thing for the other. One thing I didn't realize about Moultonborough is that it had zoning and setback rules. I knew Suissevale had rules. What I didn't realize was Moultonborough trumps Suissevale's rules. Sooo, I had to get a little creative in setting a Cape style home with a garage on .25ac lot. I made it work and it looks great..
When it comes to living in a place like Moultonborough with all the rules, you just have to play the game. I'll admit I built wood shed to go with my house. I heat with wood. I was a little shocked that I got charged a building permit fee for it. Apparently I was suppose to file a building permit to build 4X10 wood shed.. Go figure, it seems they really don't care what you build, it more about revenue generation more than anything.
Anyway, sorry for the long winded reply, I just my experience might help you in someway..
I truly appreciate all the information. Everything seems so different there than here, but I'm sure if I looked into rules and regulations here it would most likely be the same. I'm just used to this area. I like the idea of low taxes. I'm not too hip on associations mostly because of our dogs and all the added rules they have. I've found several places that I like. We're just going to have to make a trip out there before long and look at the places.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #98
Lakeboater

I agree with you about the rules that go with associations. But they are a good way to get waterfront. There are some associations that are just for the lakefront area.....the restrictions and rules just apply to the waterfront.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakeboater For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-20-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #99
Weekend Pundit

Default A Lot Of Good Info

Reading the various responses to Oregonrain's query has shown me that for the most part everyone has forwarded good info and advice. More than a few have mentioned the property tax rates for the various towns, but I have to add that the tax rates in and of themselves aren't quite as important as the assessment of the various homes along with the tax rates. (I have seen some towns with higher tax rates than others that have lower property taxes because of the valuation of the properties being taxed.) I have to strongly agree that renting might be a good strategy before buying as there are a number of really great towns here in the Lakes Region. What is great for some folks might not be for others. It all comes down to what makes you feel like you're in the right place. Renting will at least give you a feel for what a town is like before you decide to "pull the trigger" and buy a home there. Every town has its own character and you'll find some will fit better than others. I'm in Gilford and for me it's a good fit. I have also resided in Laconia (Lakeport), Alexandria, and Plymouth. (Yeah, I know Plymouth isn't really Lakes Region, but it still counts towards my experiences.) Each has had its pluses and minuses. If I could no longer reside in Gilford, Alton would be my next choice. (Again, that would be my personal preference based upon my time spent there, the people I know there, and the business my wife and I used to own there.) All I can suggest is take your time. There's no rush. Each and every town has its own character, strengths, and weaknesses. Find the one that fits you and then revel in it! Oh, one more thing: I am also a ham and have enjoyed it for years! There are quite a few active clubs in the area so you'll have another resource to fall back on. The clubs are active in events all year round, and help with a number of local public events throughout the year.

Last edited by Weekend Pundit; 03-28-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weekend Pundit For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #100
Oregonrain

I understand the validity of renting for a while before buying, but coming from someone (me, before I married my husband) who has moved 8 times in 2012-2013, I don't really want to move that many more times. We've a LOT of stuff to move and I don't want to move it any more times than what I absolutely have to, not to mention the outlandish cost it will be to make the move from here to there. **sigh** sometimes I'm overwhelmed!!