Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #1
twoplustwo

Default has anyone gotten loam delivered recently?

I checked Craigslist, and there's plenty of it available in the Concord/Manchester areas at reasonable prices. Called a local spot yesterday and the price was $14 more per yard than any ad on CL, and the delivery charge was $45 to go about 4.5 miles. Do we have solid gold loam in MBoro? My husband is threatening to dig up the back 40 and start selling dirt at a roadside stand.

I'm going to make some calls once the rest of the world is awake, but wondered if anyone had any recs...
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
AC2717

Default One reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
I checked Craigslist, and there's plenty of it available in the Concord/Manchester areas at reasonable prices. Called a local spot yesterday and the price was $14 more per yard than any ad on CL, and the delivery charge was $45 to go about 4.5 miles. Do we have solid gold loam in MBoro? My husband is threatening to dig up the back 40 and start selling dirt at a roadside stand.

I'm going to make some calls once the rest of the world is awake, but wondered if anyone had any recs...
One, it depends on how well the loom is screened, the finer the screening, the more expensive it is, 1/4 screened orlower you will pay the most, but you could get like 3/8 screen or 1/2 inch screened and you will hjave a lot of twigs, and rocks, so smaller the screening the less rocks and chuncks of things, and twigs you have to deal with. Also depending on what you are using it for you would want the lower screened amount, for example if filling in, who care how it was screened, planting flowers a lawn or rasing up a flower bed or lawn or filling in around a pool or something you would want to have a finer screen to have h ealthier soil with little to no rocks and twigs

The other reason is that it might be in the way back of the forest area and the guy has to still dig it out and bring it to you.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
phoenix

same question on mulch
Old 04-23-2008, 07:39 AM   #4
twoplustwo

Default dirt details

Well whodathunk it? I didn't realize there were different grades of screened loam. It's already dug and sitting at their place of business; I'm thinking this is more of a caveat emptor situation but I guess more calls and price checks will verify that. Thanks for the info, maybe I'll sound more loam proficient as I make my calls.

We're rototilling and seeding an area to extend the lawn farther back towards the wooded 'back 40' of our property, so it will be for grass.

Oh, and sorry I originally posted this in the wrong place. My newbie is showing.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
AC2717

Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
Well whodathunk it? I didn't realize there were different grades of screened loam. It's already dug and sitting at their place of business; I'm thinking this is more of a caveat emptor situation but I guess more calls and price checks will verify that. Thanks for the info, maybe I'll sound more loam proficient as I make my calls.

We're rototilling and seeding an area to extend the lawn farther back towards the wooded 'back 40' of our property, so it will be for grass.

Oh, and sorry I originally posted this in the wrong place. My newbie is showing.
If you want a good looking lawn then I would go with 1/4 inch screened or less if it is availbel will be reduced amoutn of rocks, there will still be pebbles, but that is ok, my suggestion is to treat the loam with a insect killer, grub killer, and a weed killer right after you put it down. Trazicide (black bag and green writing) will take care of the insects and grubs and it is safe not liek the old DIazinal which worked awesome but was found to cause problems with people and pets if inhaled or into the water system. As far as a weed killer, well that is preference and you have ot get somethign that willnot effective new seeding.

now to phoenix "same question on mulch "

Mulch is a quality issue. if it is bark mulch then you are buy bark that simple, and you might wan the long brown piece natural look, but note it will decomsose a little faster hence why it is cheaper aslo it is easy to make. When you get into colored mulch and Hemlock muclh there are lasting color concerns and type of material used to make the mulcj. The best best is to go to the place that you are pricing out and look at the difference in the mulch and the price, that is the way I do it, I get mine from the smae place every eyar but I always go down and check because expecially in this economy things could change very year. But colors are expensive and you might want to ask how long the color will last especially a red and if it is hemlock is it fine and thin or is it wood chippy, becaus eif it is wood chippy it fades really quick in the hot sun and then you are left with light orange/red wood chips
Old 04-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
idigtractors

Post Loam / Clay

One really has to watch out for what they are purchasing. The past 3 seasons I have patronize 2 local business here in Alton (I have learnt now). The three times the soil looked great, but once down and and seeded or what have ya, it has hardened up little a rock. The percentage of clay was way to high to be acceptable and sand had to be added to it so the compaction wasn't so great and water could penetrate into it. Another words your paying top dollar for clay NOT loam.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
eyenotall777

Default Keep in mind.....

Everything that is delivered by truck (diesel) is more $$ right now and well as many companies imposing very high delivery charges due to the cost of fuel. Because of the current cost of fuel especially in the trucking business, it is being passed onto the consumer, whether it be loam, mulch, new boat deliverd to marina, milk, bread, etc.....
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
jellybean

So, which loam / gravel / mulch suppliers are recommended in the Lakes Region? I usually get my dirt at Outdoor World in Concord, but would certainly buy locally if I knew of someone with a great reputation.
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
ACutAbove

If there is one piece of advise I can give about loam it is once you get it. Take a sample of it about a cups worth ans send it out to the UNH co op and get a soil sample done. This will determine exactly what the make up of the soil is what needs to added to make the soil optimum for growing the grass you want. If you just start throwing ferts and lime and weed kill at it you might end up doing more harm than good to it. I guess what I am saying is you wouldnt just take a medicine from a doctor with out first getting an exam. Same thing with soil, espicially if you want a healthy lawn.
If you have any questions you can pm me with them and I will do my best to answer them for anyone.

And if anyone needs mulch they can pm me color choices and amounts. I can also supply samples if need be.
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #10
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Picked up loam in my trailer at Dolbier Services in moultonborough....paid $31 yard.....nice stuff
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote