Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2018, 06:14 AM   #1
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,333
Thanks: 133
Thanked 907 Times in 335 Posts
Default Operation Dry Water

Saw on the morning news that there is a statewide crackdown this week on impaired boaters with extra marine patrol on duty.
Every afternoon we see lots of booze cruisers, mostly in pontoon boats having a beer or glass of wine while cruising the shore at 4mph and hope they don't get too heavy handed. On the other hand, I'm glad they're out there to keep an eye out for people in go fast boats after a day of drinking
Not sure what the law is.......I believe it's legal for an operator to have an open container as long as he or she is not impaired. Anyone know if that's true?
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:22 AM   #2
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,028
Thanks: 1,363
Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,060 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Saw on the morning news that there is a statewide crackdown this week on impaired boaters with extra marine patrol on duty.
Every afternoon we see lots of booze cruisers, mostly in pontoon boats having a beer or glass of wine while cruising the shore at 4mph and hope they don't get too heavy handed.On the other hand,I'm glad they're out there to keep an eye out for people in go fast boats after a day of drinking
Not sure what the law is.......I believe it's legal for an operator to have an open container as long as he or she is not impared.Anyone know if that's true?
It is completely legal to have an open container when on or operating your boat. You cannot be impaired however. At the legal limit in NH of .08, that usually means two beers / drinks max for the majority of us... Not much difference than the laws on the road except the open container part. Go out to dinner have a glass of wine, no problem...go out to dinner have a bottle of wine, see you in the slammer!


Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Parker (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 07:16 AM   #3
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 1,269
Thanks: 187
Thanked 672 Times in 269 Posts
Default

WMUR had a short piece about it. It looks like it was filmed at the Glendale docks.


http://www.wmur.com/article/nh-marin...99469/22013992
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:21 AM   #4
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,901
Thanks: 539
Thanked 516 Times in 301 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
It is completely legal to have an open container when on or operating your boat. You cannot be impaired however. At the legal limit in NH of .08, that usually means two beers / drinks max for the majority of us... Not much difference than the laws on the road except the open container part. Go out to dinner have a glass of wine, no problem...go out to dinner have a bottle of wine, see you in the slammer!


Dan
I think one of the issues of comparing driving to boating, however, is that sun, wind, and dehydration amplify the effect of alcohol.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #5
JADAQ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 107
Thanks: 3
Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Marine patrol canít navigate a boat at the sand bar without running aground...

Wonder how well said officer can do field sobriety tests..??
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #6
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 614
Thanked 245 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post
Marine patrol can’t navigate a boat at the sand bar without running aground...

Wonder how well said officer can do field sobriety tests..??
Ha...all a MP officer needs to know is: BLOW...BLOW...KEEP BLOWING...BLOW HARDER!

Last edited by Hillcountry; 07-02-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 614
Thanked 245 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I think one of the issues of comparing driving to boating, however, is that sun, wind, and dehydration amplify the effect of alcohol.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Hot mamas in bikinis might amplify it too!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:04 PM   #8
Parker
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
It is completely legal to have an open container when on or operating your boat. You cannot be impaired however. At the legal limit in NH of .08, that usually means two beers / drinks max for the majority of us... Not much difference than the laws on the road except the open container part. Go out to dinner have a glass of wine, no problem...go out to dinner have a bottle of wine, see you in the slammer!


Dan
Anybody have the RSA for this? Would like to know the law verbatim of possible....did a quick search but couldnít find anything
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #9
Doobs41378
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 447
Thanks: 39
Thanked 63 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Anybody have the RSA for this? Would like to know the law verbatim of possible....did a quick search but couldnít find anything


I donít have the RSA but what he says is true in NH.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:44 PM   #10
Poor Richard
Senior Member
 
Poor Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: The humbling river
Posts: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Default

There isn't an RSA regarding open container on a vessel.

As already stated, .08 BAC is NH DWI threshold.

Marine Patrol can act on that threshold as they see fit.

EDIT: Nearly forgot.....


https://nhtourguide.com/is-it-legal-...shire-208.html
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:48 PM   #11
Cal Coon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 153
Thanks: 61
Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Default

A DUI on a boat has EXACTLY the same ramifications as a DUI in your car in the state of NH. You would think WMUR would have mentioned that... However, a good lawyer will have a field day arguing the field sobriety test of someone that is on a "rocking" boat, or even bringing that person to land for the sobriety test after being on a boat for a long period of time, because it is a fact that some people continue to "feel" like they are still "rocking" on a boat long after they have been off the boat. Don't get me wrong, I don't condone drunk driving, just saying that if you are stupid enough to drink and drive, and you get a DUI, you have a better chance of beating it on a boat arrest. I witnessed this trial in Laconia District court a few years ago when I was there fighting a speeding ticket, and the perp was found not guilty because of the "rocking boat" field sobriety test defense... Personally, I don't drink, so I have no worries, but if I did and I was driving the boat, I would not drink one drop of alcohol. The penalties are just way to severe to even chance it, and when you have the Gestapo of MP that is on this lake these days, it's not a question of "IF", it's WHEN you get caught. Also, in this state, if you refuse to blow, you lose your license AUTOMATICALLY for 6 months, and even if charges are dropped, or you are found innocent at trial, you still lose license for 6 months. Which is BS to me, but that's the Gestapo.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #12
Outdoorsman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 581
Thanks: 62
Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
... However, a good lawyer will have a field day arguing the field sobriety test of someone that is on a "rocking" boat, or even bringing that person to land for the sobriety test after being on a boat for a long period of time, because it is a fact that some people continue to "feel" like they are still "rocking" on a boat long after they have been off the boat.
There are field sobriety tests that take that into consideration. A rocking boat does not screw up ones ability to recite the alphabet starting at a certain letter for example. Or count backward from 96-69 (i am making that up)... I am sure they are not asking you to walk ten paces, turn and walk back....
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:36 PM   #13
Rinkerguy
Senior Member
 
Rinkerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 85
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Default

NH MP unfortunately can board your vessel without cause to perform a ď safety checkĒ once they see an open container they will go into alcohol investigation mode. In the end, they need cause to perform a field sobriety check. Keeping your intake to one drink per hour, should allow you to metabolize the alcohol, and eating food and drinking water will help keep you BAC down.

Drinking Responsibile is the best advise
Rinkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #14
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Derry-Belmont
Posts: 408
Thanks: 231
Thanked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkerguy View Post
NH MP unfortunately can board your vessel without cause to perform a ď safety checkĒ ...........
Debated here a few years ago.
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=15793
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #15
noreast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 649
Thanks: 317
Thanked 120 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
There isn't an RSA regarding open container on a vessel.

As already stated, .08 BAC is NH DWI threshold.

Marine Patrol can act on that threshold as they see fit.

EDIT: Nearly forgot.....


https://nhtourguide.com/is-it-legal-...shire-208.html
Right, This is the real law, Truth is you can easily get A BWI after a beer or two. You blow a .03 and make an illegal or stupid move, Bang you can be charged. You are further impaired by sea legs, sun beating down, waves rocking. It really is BS, I don't drink so not an issue for me, but they want it both ways, It's ok you're allowed to drink but not really.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:38 PM   #16
Outdoorsman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 581
Thanks: 62
Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Right, This is the real law, Truth is you can easily get A BWI after a beer or two. You blow a .03 and make an illegal or stupid move, Bang you can be charged. You are further impaired by sea legs, sun beating down, waves rocking. It really is BS, I don't drink so not an issue for me, but they want it both ways, It's ok you're allowed to drink but not really.
I would love to see the stats on this. Specifically how your BAC is somehow increased because the alcohol is consumed while sitting in a boat or how you are further impaired for any of those reasons.

I would tend to believe that it is NOT truth that you can get BWI after a beer or two, nor is it illegal to blow a .03.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Reilly (07-04-2018), Sam603 (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 06:43 PM   #17
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,901
Thanks: 539
Thanked 516 Times in 301 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
I would love to see the stats on this. Specifically how your BAC is somehow increased because the alcohol is consumed while sitting in a boat or how you are further impaired for any of those reasons.

I would tend to believe that it is NOT truth that you can get BWI after a beer or two, nor is it illegal to blow a .03.
From Lucida Treatment Centers: "Not everyone realizes this, but when youíre drinking while on a boat, you will become impaired more quickly than if you were drinking on land. The effects of sun and heat dehydrate you and leave you feeling drunk with less alcohol. Add to that the rocking motion of the boat, the fatigue that sets in with drinking and heat, and you have a combination that is more dangerous than operating a car while drinking."

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #18
Greene's Basin Girl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Posts: 1,512
Thanks: 394
Thanked 525 Times in 267 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Saw on the morning news that there is a statewide crackdown this week on impaired boaters with extra marine patrol on duty.
Every afternoon we see lots of booze cruisers, mostly in pontoon boats having a beer or glass of wine while cruising the shore at 4mph and hope they don't get too heavy handed. On the other hand, I'm glad they're out there to keep an eye out for people in go fast boats after a day of drinking
Not sure what the law is.......I believe it's legal for an operator to have an open container as long as he or she is not impaired. Anyone know if that's true?
You mention that many of the drinkers you see are on pontoon boats. It is much easier to see people drinking in an open boat like a pontoon boat. I am sure there are just as many people drinking in other boats where the people on them are not as visible.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #19
SAB1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rowley MA / Tuftonboro
Posts: 645
Thanks: 89
Thanked 148 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Spot on cal coon!
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:27 PM   #20
Merrymeeting
Senior Member
 
Merrymeeting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Merrymeeting Lake, New Durham
Posts: 1,974
Thanks: 235
Thanked 678 Times in 295 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
A DUI on a boat has EXACTLY the same ramifications as a DUI in your car in the state of NH. You would think WMUR would have mentioned that...
In the report I saw this AM about this story...they did.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:43 PM   #21
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 402
Thanks: 161
Thanked 84 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Right, This is the real law, Truth is you can easily get A BWI after a beer or two. You blow a .03 and make an illegal or stupid move, Bang you can be charged. You are further impaired by sea legs, sun beating down, waves rocking. It really is BS, I don't drink so not an issue for me, but they want it both ways, It's ok you're allowed to drink but not really.
For the sun/dehydration reasons you and Think have noted, I can't quite imagine myself having multiple drinks on a boat I was piloting, so I think the law makes sense. You can have a beer on a beautiful day on the lake without legal fear, but not more than one if people are counting on you.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
noreast (07-03-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 08:56 PM   #22
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,976
Thanks: 587
Thanked 671 Times in 413 Posts
Default

I weight 250 lbs and can have a little over 4 drinks before I blow .08
Attached Images
 
__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:15 AM   #23
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 349
Thanks: 12
Thanked 114 Times in 68 Posts
Default

I believe you are correct for normal conditions however, the sun & heat associated with boating causes dehydration which reduces this somewhat. (By the way, Iím also 250 and have been saying and trying to prove for a long time that I can consume more beer than the average 160 pound midget, err I mean man.)


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:10 AM   #24
AC2717
Senior Member
 
AC2717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maynard, MA & Paugus Bay
Posts: 2,078
Thanks: 546
Thanked 243 Times in 175 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
There are field sobriety tests that take that into consideration. A rocking boat does not screw up ones ability to recite the alphabet starting at a certain letter for example. Or count backward from 96-69 (i am making that up)... I am sure they are not asking you to walk ten paces, turn and walk back....
while i would agree, my wife with MS cannot balance on one leg, it attacked her eye nerves, so they jump a little, and reciting the alphabet backwards or starting at a letter is hard enough sober on dry land.

i do not condone it, but I can see how easy it would be to beat unless you were fall down drunk blacking out
__________________
Capt. of the "No Worries"
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:17 AM   #25
noreast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 649
Thanks: 317
Thanked 120 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
I would love to see the stats on this. Specifically how your BAC is somehow increased because the alcohol is consumed while sitting in a boat or how you are further impaired for any of those reasons.

I would tend to believe that it is NOT truth that you can get BWI after a beer or two, nor is it illegal to blow a .03.
Read poor richards article he posted above, I don't necessarily agree with it, but that is what marine patrol can and will do. You might win in court and you might not but they can arrest you.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #26
hd333
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 66
Thanks: 13
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
while i would agree, my wife with MS cannot balance on one leg, it attacked her eye nerves, so they jump a little, and reciting the alphabet backwards or starting at a letter is hard enough sober on dry land.



i do not condone it, but I can see how easy it would be to beat unless you were fall down drunk blacking out


I honestly think I would have a better shot saying the alphabet backwards if I WAS drunk. I just tried and stumbled through it. Is that really a field sobriety test?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #27
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 402
Thanks: 161
Thanked 84 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Forget the law--I would never get into a boat with a captain who had 4, even if he was 350
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
noreast (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #28
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 349
Thanks: 12
Thanked 114 Times in 68 Posts
Default

My brother went to trial on DUI in NH. His lawyer got the arresting officer to admit (over strong objections of the prosecutor) that the field sobriety test are designed to make the defendant fail. In the end it didnít help his case. I tried the tests stone cold sober and failed all. His lawyer said that If I had been stopped when sober my only defense would be to request a breathalyzer or blood test.

Like everything, there are bad apple officers who will do what they can to screw you. Iím betting there are far more who are trying to do the right thing to keep others safe.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #29
pault842
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 11
Thanks: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
My brother went to trial on DUI in NH. His lawyer got the arresting officer to admit (over strong objections of the prosecutor) that the field sobriety test are designed to make the defendant fail. In the end it didnít help his case. I tried the tests stone cold sober and failed all. His lawyer said that If I had been stopped when sober my only defense would be to request a breathalyzer or blood test.

Like everything, there are bad apple officers who will do what they can to screw you. Iím betting there are far more who are trying to do the right thing to keep others safe.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I don't understand, can't you ask for a breathalyzer if you fail the field sobriety test?
pault842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #30
pault842
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 11
Thanks: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Forget the law--I would never get into a boat with a captain who had 4, even if he was 350
Exactly the way I feel. I am always especially reluctant to take passengers out that have had too much to drink. When my brother-in-law arrives with a case of beer, I'm much happier staying on the beach.
pault842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #31
TheVoiceOfReason
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 10
Thanks: 6
Thanked 22 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
The penalties are just way to severe to even chance it, and when you have the Gestapo of MP that is on this lake these days, it's not a question of "IF", it's WHEN you get caught. Also, in this state, if you refuse to blow, you lose your license AUTOMATICALLY for 6 months, and even if charges are dropped, or you are found innocent at trial, you still lose license for 6 months. Which is BS to me, but that's the Gestapo.
Probably both a bit unnecessary and a bit of hyperbole to compare the MP to the Gestapo.
TheVoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheVoiceOfReason For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (07-03-2018), FlyingScot (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 11:52 AM   #32
hd333
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 66
Thanks: 13
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pault842 View Post
Exactly the way I feel. I am always especially reluctant to take passengers out that have had too much to drink. When my brother-in-law arrives with a case of beer, I'm much happier staying on the beach.

I may be Mr Party Pooper but once a beer hits my lips the boat/seadoo is not leaving the dock with me at the controls. It isnít worth it.

The kids better get me early in the day if they want to tube/wakeboard, etc....

Beer in the hand = Feet in the sand.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hd333 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-03-2018), thinkxingu (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 01:22 PM   #33
Poor Richard
Senior Member
 
Poor Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: The humbling river
Posts: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:43 PM   #34
Cal Coon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 153
Thanks: 61
Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVoiceOfReason View Post
Probably both a bit unnecessary and a bit of hyperbole to compare the MP to the Gestapo.
Of course it's hyperbole, I just used the word Gestapo for emphasis of the overwhelming presence of not just Marine Patrol, I include State Police, Fish & Game, Sheriffs Dept, and just about ALL of the local Police Departments in NH. IMHO ALL are over staffed, and overbearing in this state. I support law enforcement (to a point), but when they can board your boat for any reason, stop your commercial truck for any reason, tell you to "open your hood" (on a snowmobile) for any reason, all for the "sake of safety", I think that is out of control in a state with the greatest motto of all the states in the country!! I don't agree that they should be able to do ANY of it without JUST CAUSE. Not to mention the tax burden on top of it all... One of my all time favorite quotes: WHEN A SOCIETY IS WILLING TO SACRIFICE LIBERTIES FOR THE SAKE OF SAFETY, IT WILL LOSE BOTH, AND DESERVE NEITHER. Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Cal Coon; 07-04-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (07-03-2018), noreast (07-03-2018), Reilly (07-04-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #35
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 349
Thanks: 12
Thanked 114 Times in 68 Posts
Default

ďI support law enforcement (to a point) . . . ď. Yea, to the point where it infringes on you. Probably the younger generation if you are using the Gestapo in any of your comparisons. Sometimes itís good to engage your brain before you open your mouth. You probably have never met anyone w/a number tattooed on their forearm.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
TheVoiceOfReason (07-04-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 04:57 PM   #36
kawishiwi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 410
Thanks: 151
Thanked 97 Times in 68 Posts
Default I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Not just Marine Patrol, I include State Police, Fish & Game, Sheriffs Dept, and just about ALL of the local Police Departments in NH. IMHO ALL are over staffed, and overbearing in this state. I support law enforcement (to a point), but when they can board your boat for any reason, stop your commercial truck for any reason, tell you to "open your hood" (on a snowmobile) for any reason, all for the "sake of safety", I think that is out of control in a state with the greatest motto of all the states in the country!! I don't agree that they should be able to do ANY of it without JUST CAUSE. Not to mention the tax burden on top of it all... One of my all time favorite quotes: WHEN A SOCIETY IS WILLING TO SACRIFICE LIBERTIES FOR THE SAKE OF SAFETY, IT WILL LOSE BOTH, AND DESERVE NEITHER. Benjamin Franklin
... someone needs a nap.
__________________
"In and around the lake...
Mountains come out of the sky and they stand there
One mile over we'll be there and we'll see you
Ten true summers we'll be there and laughing too"
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:16 PM   #37
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,976
Thanks: 587
Thanked 671 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
One of my all time favorite quotes: WHEN A SOCIETY IS WILLING TO SACRIFICE LIBERTIES FOR THE SAKE OF SAFETY, IT WILL LOSE BOTH, AND DESERVE NEITHER. Benjamin Franklin
You sure did butcher what Ben Franklin actually said and meant.
Get back to us when you do a little research about his real quote.
__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:34 PM   #38
Cal Coon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 153
Thanks: 61
Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
You sure did butcher what Ben Franklin actually said and meant.
Get back to us when you do a little research about his real quote.
I guess it all depends on what web site you looked it up. What's your version, rusty?
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:47 PM   #39
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,901
Thanks: 539
Thanked 516 Times in 301 Posts
Default

https://www.npr.org/2015/03/02/39024...n-21st-century

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-04-2018), GBGX2 (07-04-2018), kawishiwi (07-03-2018), Rusty (07-03-2018), TheVoiceOfReason (07-04-2018), upthesaukee (07-03-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 09:20 AM   #40
Cal Coon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 153
Thanks: 61
Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
“I support law enforcement (to a point) . . . “. Yea, to the point where it infringes on you. Probably the younger generation if you are using the Gestapo in any of your comparisons. Sometimes it’s good to engage your brain before you open your mouth. You probably have never met anyone w/a number tattooed on their forearm.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
You are absolutely right!! As a law abiding, tax paying citizen, I take offense to any "Authorities" being able to stop me in my tracks for NO reason. That's infringement, and goes against everything this country was founded on!! I would think that any true, red blooded, proud American would feel the same way. That's taught in Freedom 101. I believe in a Nation of laws, not a lawless nation. Maybe you should heed your own advice.

Last edited by Cal Coon; 07-04-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #41
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,333
Thanks: 133
Thanked 907 Times in 335 Posts
Default

I have a breathalizer at home that I bought from Amazon. Check the reviews to find one that is accurate. They come with multiple mouth pieces so everyone can share in the fun : )
Seriously, it's a hoot and also responsible to let everyone take a test if you're having company at home or on the water.
I've found that Rusty's chart is very accurate and you'd be surprised at some of the readings. Many smaller women will blow .05-.08 after two glasses of wine in some cases. I blew .06 after 4 beers and a meal one afternoon but definitely would not drive a boat or anything else.
I find it very useful because some people have a high tolerance for alcohol and can be over the limit without realizing. You just might save someone from a DWI or worse if you have one around for company.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
noreast (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #42
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,936
Thanks: 187
Thanked 441 Times in 325 Posts
Default

Makes a great gift for yourself? For $11.06, made by Greenwon, Amazon has a small, key ring sized breathalyzer, designed to go on a key ring along with the keys. It runs on two aaa batteries.

Could be a good reason to shelter in place for the night on the back seat of your car/boat/motorcycle ..... and then show it to an inquiring police officer ..... like, what are you doing here? ...... but officer, my little breathalyzer was saying 0.08 so is better to be safe ...... than sorry?

Or, more likely scenario ..... hit the road .....and drive on home, anyway? Like, I am totally capable of driving with a .08 ..... what, me worry?
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:26 AM   #43
Poor Richard
Senior Member
 
Poor Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: The humbling river
Posts: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
You are absolutely right!! As a law abiding, tax paying citizen, I take offense to any "Authorities" being able to stop me in my tracks for NO reason. That's infringement. I would think that any true, red blooded, proud American would feel the same way. That's Freedom 101. I believe in a Nation of law, not a lawless nation. Maybe you should heed your own advice.
Not once in my life so far have I been under questionable circumstances with any interaction involving law enforcement, NH law enforcement included.

I'll go out on a limb and say, you have not been infringed upon and if you have, there was likely a good reason for it.

And I want to be sure I'm clear on your message....it's not that they "have", it's that they "can" board your vessel, truck, snowmobile, etc, yes?
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #44
Formula260SS
Senior Member
 
Formula260SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 280
Thanks: 8
Thanked 36 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Every time I've been stopped, boarded and uh hummm... it was justified. I live a law abiding life now. It's funny I've never had as much as a parking ticket since and I'm a pretty conservative guy.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #45
Cal Coon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 153
Thanks: 61
Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
Not once in my life so far have I been under questionable circumstances with any interaction involving law enforcement, NH law enforcement included.

I'll go out on a limb and say, you have not been infringed upon and if you have, there was likely a good reason for it.

And I want to be sure I'm clear on your message....it's not that they "have", it's that they "can" board your vessel, truck, snowmobile, etc, yes?
Yes, I am saying they "can", and I don't think that's right, and yes I have been infringed upon. I have been driving a commercial vehicle for a living now for over 30yrs in the state of NH and I have seen first hand the overwhelming presence develop over the years. The weigh station at exit 3 on the northbound side of 93 is open now more often than it's closed. They pick and choose who they stop and check, and when you pass their inspection they put a sticker on your windshield so you think maybe you don't have to worry about getting inspected again for a while, but no, 3 weeks after getting a sticker one day, I get inspected again in the same truck with the 3 week old sticker at the same weigh station, just a different inspector. What's the purpose of the sticker??? Again, I have nothing to hide, I just don't think it's right when I have done NOTHING wrong... All in the name of "safety". Also, on two separate occasions while minding my own business at a gas station on my snowmobile, I have been asked to open my hood so they can check for an altered exhaust. My sled wasn't even running on either occasion!!! Probably just because of the "brand", but still not right. All my sleds are stock except for handlebar risers. I cooperate fully as to not make things worse, but I am STEAMING inside because this is not the America I want to live in. How ironic I went for a motorcycle ride today, and as I was going by West Alton Marina, their message board read: "I will take dangerous freedom over safe slavery anytime", or something to that effect. No need to beat me up if I didn't get it verbatim. Made me very proud. Couldn't agree more WAM!!

Last edited by Cal Coon; 07-05-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:57 PM   #46
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 349
Thanks: 12
Thanked 114 Times in 68 Posts
Default

If you are driving a commercial vehicle you are subject to a safety inspection at any time. Live with it, that is the way it is. My trucks were cited for some of the most inane stuff. But thatís life when you are dragging 40,000 lbs plus on public highways. After seeing a lot crap held together by bailing wire &/or far overweight I have no issue w/safety stops.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-04-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 03:08 AM   #47
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,218
Thanks: 786
Thanked 392 Times in 280 Posts
Default Operation Dry Water, Seen Locally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Of course it's hyperbole, I just used the word Gestapo for emphasis of the overwhelming presence of not just Marine Patrol, I include State Police, Fish & Game, Sheriffs Dept, and just about ALL of the local Police Departments in NH. IMHO ALL are over staffed, and overbearing in this state. I support law enforcement (to a point), but when they can board your boat for any reason, stop your commercial truck for any reason, tell you to "open your hood" (on a snowmobile) for any reason, all for the "sake of safety", I think that is out of control in a state with the greatest motto of all the states in the country!! I don't agree that they should be able to do ANY of it without JUST CAUSE. Not to mention the tax burden on top of it all... One of my all time favorite quotes: WHEN A SOCIETY IS WILLING TO SACRIFICE LIBERTIES FOR THE SAKE OF SAFETY, IT WILL LOSE BOTH, AND DESERVE NEITHER. Benjamin Franklin
On boating's deadliest day, I saw the Marine Patrol make THREE stops. After watching over 60 years, this is Winter Harbor's all-time record!
__________________
.SailingóGood for you and good for the world...
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:41 AM   #48
Cal Coon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 153
Thanks: 61
Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
If you are driving a commercial vehicle you are subject to a safety inspection at any time. Live with it, that is the way it is. My trucks were cited for some of the most inane stuff. But that’s life when you are dragging 40,000 lbs plus on public highways. After seeing a lot crap held together by bailing wire &/or far overweight I have no issue w/safety stops.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I have no choice but to live with it. We are just going to have to agree to disagree. I refer you back to the West Alton Marina quote. When law enforcement hides behind the word "safety", it's ALL about raising the revenue. Life is a RISK. No guarantees. We are just getting to soft as a society. You just said it yourself when you admit that your own trucks have been cited for insane stuff... Do you pay more taxes than you have too??? You might as well if you don't mind paying for "insane stuff". Just wondering big guy, what is the level of insanity you are willing to tolerate before you start getting pissed off...?? Please advise.

Last edited by Cal Coon; 07-05-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:59 AM   #49
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 349
Thanks: 12
Thanked 114 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Iíve lived too long to get pissed at the little stuff. I might think the stuff was inane (not insane) but, you are in compliance or you are not. Almost doesnít count. Anyway, I got into this to address your inappropriate use of ďGestapoĒ. I did that so, Iím out.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:25 AM   #50
Poor Richard
Senior Member
 
Poor Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: The humbling river
Posts: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Cal Coon - I can appreciate many of your sentiments and as a courtesy, heads up if you travel internationally because you are subject to similar infringements from countless TSA-like and ATF-like agencies around the world.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #51
Cal Coon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 153
Thanks: 61
Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Iíve lived too long to get pissed at the little stuff. I might think the stuff was inane (not insane) but, you are in compliance or you are not. Almost doesnít count. Anyway, I got into this to address your inappropriate use of ďGestapoĒ. I did that so, Iím out.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
That's exactly how they get you, a little at a time so you don't care, or notice right away. Little things add up over time. You should know that if you've been around for a while. And don't forget, the "public" roads belong to we, the people, not DOT, and they work for us, the taxpayers. That seems to get lost in all of this... I will admit that I regret using the word Gestapo. I meant no disrespect to anyone. I will substitute it with Militaristic. I believe that law enforcement has become to militaristic.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
noreast (07-06-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #52
Cal Coon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 153
Thanks: 61
Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
You sure did butcher what Ben Franklin actually said and meant.
Get back to us when you do a little research about his real quote.
Hey rusty, I'm still waiting for your version of "the real quote" that you said I butchered. Your silence is deafening... Are you a history teacher in our public school system spewing propaganda to our young unsuspecting minds? It doesn't work on adults that know better...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:28 PM   #53
Garcia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 95
Thanks: 17
Thanked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Hey rusty, I'm still waiting for your version of "the real quote" that you said I butchered. Your silence is deafening... Are you a history teacher in our public school system spewing propaganda to our young unsuspecting minds? It doesn't work on adults that know better...
Here is the quote I believe you are referencing: ďThose who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.Ē

Franklin wrote this in 1755 - and the context of the letter is much more about taxes than liberty. It started being taken out of context about 50 years ago, give or take, and now is often used in a manner different than Franklinís original use.

Not looking for a debate, just offering up some information.
Garcia is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (07-08-2018), Top-Water (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #54
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,901
Thanks: 539
Thanked 516 Times in 301 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Hey rusty, I'm still waiting for your version of "the real quote" that you said I butchered. Your silence is deafening... Are you a history teacher in our public school system spewing propaganda to our young unsuspecting minds? It doesn't work on adults that know better...
I posted a link above with info to set you straight. It expands on Garcia's summary.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:05 PM   #55
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Derry-Belmont
Posts: 408
Thanks: 231
Thanked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Here is the quote I believe you are referencing: “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Franklin wrote this in 1755 - and the context of the letter is much more about taxes than liberty. It started being taken out of context about 50 years ago, give or take, and now is often used in a manner different than Franklin’s original use.

Not looking for a debate, just offering up some information.
Correct Thank You.


https://www.fi.edu/benjamin-franklin...lin-never-said

Number 7 applies to this thread.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:30 PM   #56
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Derry-Belmont
Posts: 408
Thanks: 231
Thanked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Default

For reference here is the origin of this "Operation Dry Water"

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/...-dry-water.pdf

Then WMUR ran one of there Human Interest BS stories about it. I mention BS because there should not be a special weekend where they enforce the laws that are already on the books, because of a press release. BS twice because they mention increased enforcement across the states waterways. Fished most of the day last Saturday June 30 on Winnisquam, then spent the last half of the day at the Winnisquam sand bar ( myself - stone cold sober all day, most of the other folks ****faced). During the daylight hours the Marine Patrol Boat never moved off of its docking space. I'm not trying put down the Marine Patrol, but I hate the BS story.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:22 AM   #57
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 349
Thanks: 12
Thanked 114 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Correct Thank You.


https://www.fi.edu/benjamin-franklin...lin-never-said

Number 7 applies to this thread.


Cal Coon - see above. Not a response from Rusty (which I think you deserve - to paraphrase my father, Donít tell me whatís wrong, tell me whatís right.) but it does put Franklin in context. However, one of the great things about quotes is we can use them any way we want because we generally have no idea what their original context was.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #58
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,976
Thanks: 587
Thanked 671 Times in 413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Cal Coon - see above. Not a response from Rusty (which I think you deserve - to paraphrase my father, Donít tell me whatís wrong, tell me whatís right.) but it does put Franklin in context. However, one of the great things about quotes is we can use them any way we want because we generally have no idea what their original context was.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The only reason some people want a response is to continue the back & forth bickering.
I'm not going to do that.
__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #59
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 349
Thanks: 12
Thanked 114 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Rusty, you told him he got the quote wrong, donít you believe you should tell him what the right quote is? Or, was he actually right?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (07-13-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #60
Phantom
Senior Member
 
Phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hudson, Ma / Gilford
Posts: 1,624
Thanks: 282
Thanked 449 Times in 258 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Saw on the morning news that there is a statewide crackdown this week on impaired boaters with extra marine patrol on duty.
This Thread started with a word about increased MP presence over the then upcoming 4th ÖÖÖÖ.

I have to say, I was on the water all day this past Friday, Saturday & Sunday and don't recall seeing a SINGLE MP boat ! Rather strange actually as we cruised the Lake significantly.


.
__________________
A bad day on the Big Lake (although I've never had one) - Still beats a day at the office!!
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #61
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH / Bozeman MO
Posts: 4,706
Thanks: 2,223
Thanked 818 Times in 569 Posts
Default Open Container Ordinance

There is no state law pertaining to an open container in boats, ATV, PWC, and or snow machines however if you are on a municipality with open container law who can be cited by local police. This had happen a number of times at the Laconia public docks and on the ATV corridors in Laconia. I'm sure it is the same in other towns.
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #62
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH / Bozeman MO
Posts: 4,706
Thanks: 2,223
Thanked 818 Times in 569 Posts
Default Article mentioning Operation Dry Water

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...c585b3b85.html
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #63
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 349
Thanks: 12
Thanked 114 Times in 68 Posts
Default

I have seen 1 boat since 6/29. My assumption was that they were concentrating on the south & west side of the lake. Wonder how many boats are actually out on a weekday and how many on a weekend.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #64
Phantom
Senior Member
 
Phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hudson, Ma / Gilford
Posts: 1,624
Thanks: 282
Thanked 449 Times in 258 Posts
Default

Given the fact that it was the first week in July- a big vacation week - and clearly from the posts above confirmed as extremely busy with respect to boating .. I can only speak to what I observed (or didn't )

Quite odd ÖÖÖ not even the usual MP drifting at the end of Weirs channel or Eagle isl. on Saturday


.
__________________
A bad day on the Big Lake (although I've never had one) - Still beats a day at the office!!
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:49 PM   #65
Outdoorsman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 581
Thanks: 62
Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
That's exactly how they get you, a little at a time so you don't care, or notice right away. Little things add up over time. You should know that if you've been around for a while. And don't forget, the "public" roads belong to we, the people, not DOT, and they work for us, the taxpayers. That seems to get lost in all of this... I will admit that I regret using the word Gestapo. I meant no disrespect to anyone. I will substitute it with Militaristic. I believe that law enforcement has become to militaristic.
I have no dog in this particular fight over DOT stopping certain people over others.... Just to add.... If the company that you work for has an unacceptable amount of violations (as a whole) I would certainly hope LE stops each and every one of you at every opportunity until your company (as a whole) reduces those violations.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #66
Cal Coon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 153
Thanks: 61
Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
I have no dog in this particular fight over DOT stopping certain people over others.... Just to add.... If the company that you work for has an unacceptable amount of violations (as a whole) I would certainly hope LE stops each and every one of you at every opportunity until your company (as a whole) reduces those violations.
I agree with you "to a point" as I like to say. I have no problem with DOT inspecting the fleet of a company, BUT, ONLY if it had pulled over a truck for a violation of some sort. Speeding, light(s) not working, uncovered load, no inspection sticker, etc,etc,etc... I don't agree with DOT hiding behind the word "safety" to be able to pull over ANY truck for ANY reason at ANY time. That's tyranny, not freedom, and could very well possibly lead to the same thing with cars down the road... (don't put anything past them), I feel the same way about dui checkpoints, totally unconstitutional imho.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:14 PM   #67
Cal Coon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 153
Thanks: 61
Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I posted a link above with info to set you straight. It expands on Garcia's summary.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
The link you posted is pretty much just what I said. Just talking semantics. That's why I asked rusty to explain how I "butchered" it because I knew rusty's post was completely false, and I just wanted to see if he was capable of admitting he was wrong, like I did in another post when I regretted using the word Gestapo. I have no problem "taking my medicine" when I am wrong about something...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #68
VitaBene
Senior Member
 
VitaBene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 3,083
Thanks: 1,232
Thanked 1,364 Times in 679 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Rusty, you told him he got the quote wrong, donít you believe you should tell him what the right quote is? Or, was he actually right?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Rusty prefers to drop bombs and then evacuate the area
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:38 AM   #69
Garcia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 95
Thanks: 17
Thanked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
I agree with you "to a point" as I like to say. I have no problem with DOT inspecting the fleet of a company, BUT, ONLY if it had pulled over a truck for a violation of some sort. Speeding, light(s) not working, uncovered load, no inspection sticker, etc,etc,etc... I don't agree with DOT hiding behind the word "safety" to be able to pull over ANY truck for ANY reason at ANY time. That's tyranny, not freedom, and could very well possibly lead to the same thing with cars down the road... (don't put anything past them), I feel the same way about dui checkpoints, totally unconstitutional imho.
Iím just curious - what about checkpoints set up by border patrol? Not the ones on the border itself, but the ones set up within 100 miles of the border like the ones occasionally seen on norther NH and VT interstates? Also, what about stop and frisk laws? Iím torn personally as I see potential for public good while also potential for serious abuse.
Garcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:55 PM   #70
Cal Coon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 153
Thanks: 61
Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Iím just curious - what about checkpoints set up by border patrol? Not the ones on the border itself, but the ones set up within 100 miles of the border like the ones occasionally seen on norther NH and VT interstates? Also, what about stop and frisk laws? Iím torn personally as I see potential for public good while also potential for serious abuse.
They're ALL "slippery slopes"... I believe that law enforcement must have a "reasonable cause", and/or a warrant to stop anyone, or any vehicle for any reason. Otherwise you are just opening a can of worms for racism, bigotry, corruption, etc,etc,etc... Just my .02 cents.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #71
Outdoorsman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 581
Thanks: 62
Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
Default Operation Dry Water sees uptick in BUI arrests

GILFORD ó Captain Tim Dunleavy of the New Hampshire Marine Patrol says that arrests for boating under the influence were up over last year during Operation Dry Water, an operation held in the first week in July.

More:
https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...72100068b.html
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-14-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #72
PaugusBayFireFighter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 837
Thanks: 361
Thanked 672 Times in 264 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
GILFORD ó Captain Tim Dunleavy of the New Hampshire Marine Patrol says that arrests for boating under the influence were up over last year during Operation Dry Water, an operation held in the first week in July.

More:
https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...72100068b.html
Not too surprised. We are seeing the busiest boating in a decade coupled with great weather and a good economy.
Maybe they will conduct 'Operation Bong Water' next season!
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #73
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,333
Thanks: 133
Thanked 907 Times in 335 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Not too surprised. We are seeing the busiest boating in a decade coupled with great weather and a good economy.
Maybe they will conduct 'Operation Bong Water' next season!
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #74
Outdoorsman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 581
Thanks: 62
Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Not too surprised. We are seeing the busiest boating in a decade coupled with great weather and a good economy.
Maybe they will conduct 'Operation Bong Water' next season!
Illegal is illegal be it drugs or alcohol.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.66073 seconds