Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2017, 05:43 AM   #1
lavecchi
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Ragged island

I was looking to take my 5 year old to ragged island this past weekend and I got a little scared because of the rocks , can anyone post a sketch of the best way to access the docks / rafting area ?
lavecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:54 AM   #2
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 614
Thanked 245 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavecchi View Post
I was looking to take my 5 year old to ragged island this past weekend and I got a little scared because of the rocks , can anyone post a sketch of the best way to access the docks / rafting area ?
I only use the docks and for docking you come straight in from the South...the rocks look ominous but should be well below a prop especially this season with a full lake. I always trim up my Yamaha anyway. Last season the lake was down significantly and I didn't have any close calls while docking. For rafting, you're on your own.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
Winni_Bay
Senior Member
 
Winni_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 50
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default raggard island

Hello
Im also looking for the best route to get to the little cove about 1500 feet north of the docks

on the the 4th we drove on back side of raggard no wind
and their was big cruisers in their
nice small cove about 20 boats i was suprised that they could get in their
we have stayed on the beach side facing sandy island
we have a new tritoon do not want to hit rocks
any info to help would be great
or i will go early and watch some boats go in and follow path

thanks
Winni_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,899
Thanks: 539
Thanked 513 Times in 299 Posts
Default

Like I said on another thread, come around the outside of the island across from the docks and head straight toward the northern most sandy beach. Go real slow with someone in front to spot rocks and when you get close enough, jump in and walk the boat in with your motor raised.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
Winni_Bay
Senior Member
 
Winni_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 50
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default raggard island

thanks for info i will try it soon
Winni_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
CUINS
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

After last weekend now renamed urine cove....Disgusting
CUINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
acg123
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUINS View Post
After last weekend now renamed urine cove....Disgusting
Seriously? There is an outhouse provided on the island, that's open to the public.
acg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:51 PM   #8
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 614
Thanked 245 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acg123 View Post
Seriously? There is an outhouse provided on the island, that's open to the public.
He just doesn't want anyone else going there...been there many times and saw no evidence of said yellow liquid...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:10 PM   #9
kauriel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Laconia, N. MA
Posts: 259
Thanks: 106
Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavecchi View Post
I was looking to take my 5 year old to ragged island this past weekend and I got a little scared because of the rocks , can anyone post a sketch of the best way to access the docks / rafting area ?
Did you make it over there yet? If so any tips? I want to check it out but like you I am nervous about not knowing where the rocks are.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:46 PM   #10
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 614
Thanked 245 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post
Did you make it over there yet? If so any tips? I want to check it out but like you I am nervous about not knowing where the rocks are.
This is last yearís post but your last one was recent. Ragged island has docks on the south end that you can simply float in at headway speed. Where the docks are thereís no danger of hitting a rock as long as you stay in the immediate dock area. As you approach you go to the left of the red/white stick straight in alongside the breakwater on the left. Donít approach from anywhere but straight toward the docks after passing the red stick. There are rocks to the west/left of that approach. There are usually a couple of young ladies there at the docks that will assist you to dock. Just do it and once you do youíll find itís easy!
If you chose to anchor your boat elsewhere but the docks, the rocks can be treacherous unless youíre careful and have a spotter. Good luck!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:07 PM   #11
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 348
Thanks: 11
Thanked 114 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Iíve heard different stories re: that red/white marker. Some say keep it to your left (go east of it) going straight in toward the dock, even though the rules say go west of it. They say there is a rock northwest of it. You stay south of it (as per the rules) going east. I think this was part of a thread a couple of years ago.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #12
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 614
Thanked 245 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
I’ve heard different stories re: that red/white marker. Some say keep it to your left (go east of it) going straight in toward the dock, even though the rules say go west of it. They say there is a rock northwest of it. You stay south of it (as per the rules) going east. I think this was part of a thread a couple of years ago.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I go left of the stick and the rock is about 10-15 yards to the left as I go in.
The top of that rock breaks the surface but if you weren't paying attention you could bump into it...
The way the picture loaded the marker is at the right end of the pic...draw a horizontal line from under the stick and above the breakwater. That's where I go in.
Attached Images
 
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
noreast (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 09:45 PM   #13
kauriel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Laconia, N. MA
Posts: 259
Thanks: 106
Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
This is last yearís post but your last one was recent. Ragged island has docks on the south end that you can simply float in at headway speed. Where the docks are thereís no danger of hitting a rock as long as you stay in the immediate dock area. As you approach you go to the left of the red/white stick straight in alongside the breakwater on the left. Donít approach from anywhere but straight toward the docks after passing the red stick. There are rocks to the west/left of that approach. There are usually a couple of young ladies there at the docks that will assist you to dock. Just do it and once you do youíll find itís easy!
If you chose to anchor your boat elsewhere but the docks, the rocks can be treacherous unless youíre careful and have a spotter. Good luck!
I saw the post was from last summer but was curious if the poster had made it over yet. I figured someone who was nervous about going might have some good insight into how to do it safely!
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:02 AM   #14
lavecchi
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Raggard

I did make it to the island but I did it with my pwc, since I was still a little scared
lavecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:09 PM   #15
kauriel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Laconia, N. MA
Posts: 259
Thanks: 106
Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavecchi View Post
I did make it to the island but I did it with my pwc, since I was still a little scared
I don't blame you. I am still scared too and don't think we'll make it over there this season!
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.38505 seconds