Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal
Senior Member
 
Rattlesnake Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 5,228
Thanks: 1,393
Thanked 1,319 Times in 463 Posts
Unhappy Mushrooms!

They are growing and even just a bit can be toxic and deadly for our pets. Please take care.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Bernie Girl (06-28-2013), ishoot308 (06-27-2013), Somalicat (09-04-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 4,028
Thanks: 1,363
Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,060 Posts
Default Great Advice!

Thank R-Gal for the heads up. That is really great advice as my last lab had a taste for wild mushrooms. My new lab Hailey has not shown the same taste as of yet but I will be careful.

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
baygo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 407
Thanks: 108
Thanked 263 Times in 105 Posts
Default

If you happen to catch your dog eating a mushroom simply use a eye dropper to feed the dog about 2 oz of Hydrogene Peroxide. This will make the dog vomit. It is also a good idea to chase it with some atiivated charcoal.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (06-29-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
NoBozo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Portsmouth. RI
Posts: 2,233
Thanks: 402
Thanked 459 Times in 307 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
If you happen to catch your dog eating a mushroom simply use a eye dropper to feed the dog about 2 oz of Hydrogene Peroxide. This will make the dog vomit. It is also a good idea to chase it with some atiivated charcoal.
My bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide has this warning:

"If Swallowed Get Medical Help Or Contact a Poison Control Center Rght Away." NB

Question: Is Hydrogen Peroxide recommended as an Emetic..OR and Antidote to Mushroom ingestion specifically...??
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
baygo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 407
Thanks: 108
Thanked 263 Times in 105 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
My bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide has this warning:

"If Swallowed Get Medical Help Or Contact a Poison Control Center Rght Away." NB

Question: Is Hydrogen Peroxide recommended as an Emetic..OR and Antidote to Mushroom ingestion specifically...??
Emetic. Did it at the advice of our vet almost a year ago. Leslie thinks we may have cut it with equal parts water. The puppy is still alive and responsible for the distruction of thousands of dollars worth of property.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (06-29-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal
Senior Member
 
Rattlesnake Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 5,228
Thanks: 1,393
Thanked 1,319 Times in 463 Posts
Arrow Peroxide Mixture

1 - 2 Tablespoons (can be mixed with water) of hydrogen peroxide for every 10 pounds of dog. A children's medicine dropper is a valuable to for administering.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (06-29-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Mirror Lake's BB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wayne, PA & Mirror Lake
Posts: 146
Thanks: 113
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Default Mushroom update

We will be coming up on Sat. August 24th and wanted to find out if there are still mushrooms growing. Our dogs love them and I spend quite a bit of time digging them out of the lawn to prevent another trip to Meridith emergency room at 3 am. Thanks
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
Rattlesnake Gal
Senior Member
 
Rattlesnake Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 5,228
Thanks: 1,393
Thanked 1,319 Times in 463 Posts
Unhappy Mushrooms

Unfortunately, they are still growing fast. Each day I go around the yard at least twice and get a sandwich bag each time. If we've been gone for the week, it has been a gallon bag full. It is mighty distressing how fast these little buggers grow. We are getting white, yellow, brown and now reddish mushrooms. Not at all sure which are poisonous to our canine kids. My pups don't seem interested in them, but it just isn't worth the risk.

One morning a few weeks ago, I let Harry out and went back in to get Khaleesi. As she went out I noticed a partially eaten 'shroom on the walkway near him. I could not tell if there were rodent chew marks or dog nibbles. What could I do? Poor Harry got a dose of peroxide. It was very upsetting to make him throw up, but I had to be sure he hadn't been poisoned. Thankfully, he had not eaten the mushroom. What a relief.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
Mirror Lake's BB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wayne, PA & Mirror Lake
Posts: 146
Thanks: 113
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Thanks Rattlesnakegal. Since we live near the 'Mushroom Capitol of the Country' (Kennett Square, PA), we called a local mushroom grower and spoke to a mycologist about this issue. She said that spaniels, labs and goldens seem to be the breeds that may be attracted to the mushrooms. We asked about applying lime to our lawn (found this suggestion on the internet) and she said no and had no recommendations to control the mushrooms. We even asked if our septic leach field could be contributing to the toxicity of the mushrooms and she said no. We bought a cloth muzzle but haven't taken the time to train our dogs to wear it without freaking out.
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
surfnsnow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 163
Thanks: 133
Thanked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Default

lime does work. it needs to be put down in the fall and the following spring you should have no mushshrooms. mushrooms are a sign of acidic soil. my golden eats everything but funny enough no mushrooms.
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
Mirror Lake's BB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wayne, PA & Mirror Lake
Posts: 146
Thanks: 113
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Default

surfnsnow,
Do you mean standard granular lime or the quick acting lime? Thanks
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #12
surfnsnow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 163
Thanks: 133
Thanked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Default

either will work mirrior, although granular is more long lasting
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 1,911
Thanks: 176
Thanked 1,236 Times in 470 Posts
Default

My dog doesn't care about the mushrooms, but is in hog heaven when she finds a fresh pile of deer poop. Wouldn't be so bad if there weren't so many piles everywhere.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #14
Mirror Lake's BB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wayne, PA & Mirror Lake
Posts: 146
Thanks: 113
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Default Mushrooms 2014 update?

How are the mushrooms this season? I am hoping that it is still too early and cool for them to show up yet.
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #15
chipj29
Senior Member
 
chipj29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bow
Posts: 1,851
Thanks: 477
Thanked 285 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Lake's BB View Post
How are the mushrooms this season? I am hoping that it is still too early and cool for them to show up yet.
I am seeing some small ones sprouting up from my lawn (in Bow).
__________________
Getting ready for winter!
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #16
jmen24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,139
Thanks: 223
Thanked 318 Times in 181 Posts
Default

Along the wood line last weekend there were quite a few of differing style. Nothing noted in the lawn itself, but I did see some really interesting looking ones though.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #17
jmen24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,139
Thanks: 223
Thanked 318 Times in 181 Posts
Default Who Would Have Known!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Along the wood line last weekend there were quite a few of differing style. Nothing noted in the lawn itself, but I did see some really interesting looking ones though.
Just found out that the mushroom I have growing all around the wood line of my property are a prized commodity, if they are a true Moral!

http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com...mushrooms.html
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.22961 seconds