Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
Hillcountry

Default Running an I/O on "earmuffs"

I have hooked a hose up to my Volvo Penta to start the motor in my driveway to check things out and don't have a problem doing so but my question is, is it okay to put the motor in gear while on the muffs?
i have been showing the boat to prospective buyers and not starting it but would demonstrate how good the motor runs by using the hose and muffs...just wondering if it's okay to put it in gear to mak the prop turn (carefully, of course)
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
just wondering if it's okay to put it in gear to make the prop turn (carefully, of course)
Not a problem at all, except for the safety aspect. Be sure there's nothing to foul the prop or better yet, remove it first.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
HellRaZoR004

Should be fine, just keep it at idle speed and make sure no one (or the hoses) are near the prop.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
Outdoorsman

Echo'ing the above

Yes, you can put it in gear. VERY LOW to show that the prop will in fact spin but you can not rev the motor "muffs" will not be able to suck in enough water.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-23-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #5
acg123

I was surprised to see people say yes. I have read in multiple factory manuals that you should never put the motor in gear when it's out of the water, even if it's connect to muffs. There is absolutely no resistance on the prop, so it's going to spin very fast, and when you take it in/out of gear, it can do damage to the prop hub, as well as other parts. If you really need to spin the prop, back it down a ramp, or lower the drive in a tub of water.
acg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2016, 05:53 PM   #6
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by acg123 View Post
I was surprised to see people say yes. I have read in multiple factory manuals that you should never put the motor in gear when it's out of the water, even if it's connect to muffs. There is absolutely no resistance on the prop, so it's going to spin very fast, and when you take it in/out of gear, it can do damage to the prop hub, as well as other parts. If you really need to spin the prop, back it down a ramp, or lower the drive in a tub of water.
In this thread, when it is mentioned to put it "in gear" that only refers to engaging the clutch. The prop will barley turn, if at all. It is not going to "spin very fast, and when you take it in/out of gear, it can do damage to the prop hub, as well as other parts." It was never mentioned to go "full throttle".

I would guess that the factory manuals you are reading that in are stating that for liability reasons only.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #7
NoBozo

Quote:
Putting it In Gear ..On the Muffs is NO PROBLEM. Just don't REV It Up...Forward..Reverse...NO Problem. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:01 PM   #8
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
In this thread, when it is mentioned to put it "in gear" that only refers to engaging the clutch. The prop will barley turn, if at all. It is not going to "spin very fast, and when you take it in/out of gear, it can do damage to the prop hub, as well as other parts." It was never mentioned to go "full throttle".

I would guess that the factory manuals you are reading that in are stating that for liability reasons only.
I think "Outdoorsman " is WAY OFF Track..AGAIN. HE..OR SHE.. has NO Clue. Outdoorsman has NO Clew what a Clutch is. NB
Old 08-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #9
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I think "Outdoorsman " is WAY OFF Track..AGAIN. HE..OR SHE.. has NO Clue. Outdoorsman has NO Clew what a Clutch is. NB
The troll above failed to read and comprehend my post YET AGAIN. The bold that it quoted was a previous quote from the OP, it even has quotation marks around it.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:10 PM   #10
HellRaZoR004

What do you think happens when you put the drive in gear at idle? You move forward at basically headway speed depending on the conditions...so yes, the props are moving at a steady pace.

Running the drive out of the water on muffs will not harm it at idle speeds.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:15 AM   #11
acg123

If you put it in gear, with the prop out of water, there will be no resistance, and it will move very fast. I follow the factory manuals, and it keeps me out of trouble. And I was simply responding to the OP. If you want to risk the damage, go for it. For me, I'd take the time and put the drive in some water, just to be safe.
acg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:32 AM   #12
8gv

The speed of the propeller shaft varies directly with that of the power head.

800 rpm on the power head in the water will give you the same prop speed as 800 rpm on the muffs.

The only thing that I can think of that could cause damage is if you shift at too high an rpm. I the water, a sudden reduction in throttle will reduce rpms more quickly due to the water resistance on the prop. Out of the water, the power head tends to coast a bit during sudden decelleration. Shifting then, while the rpms are still high, might hurt the gears in the lower unit.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:17 PM   #13
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
The troll above failed to read and comprehend my post YET AGAIN. The bold that it quoted was a previous quote from the OP, it even has quotation marks around it.
Hey Outdoorsman...I guess we disagree. I'm not offended by your Troll reference. Maybe I can be the BEST Troll on this forum... I Always aspire to be the Best. Best to you my friend. NB
Old 08-22-2016, 08:03 AM   #14
Orion

Default Physics

Quote:
There is a mix of good/bad info here. There is no difference putting the motor in gear at idle in or out of the water. The prop shaft will actually spin the prop with less initial resistance than if the prop was in the water. The problem is if you go from forward to reverse without letting the prop stop spinning in neutral first. That could cause the prop hub to spin within the prop, damaging the prop.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:14 PM   #15
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
There is a mix of good/bad info here. There is no difference putting the motor in gear at idle in or out of the water. The prop shaft will actually spin the prop with less initial resistance than if the prop was in the water. The problem is if you go from forward to reverse without letting the prop stop spinning in neutral first. That could cause the prop hub to spin within the prop, damaging the prop.
I mean if you think about it - will it wreck the transmission in a car if you jack up the drive wheels off the ground and put the car in gear? Of course not, unless your name is Ferris Bueller.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #16
ursa minor

When I was towing and working on my boat myself (260 Mercruiser) I would always test forward / reverse while running on the muffs to be sure the boat would start and shift properly at launch time.

It's all been mentioned above: make sure prop is clear, don't run above idle speed and let the prop come to a complete stop before shifting into the opposite direction. Didn't want a surprise on the ramp, never had any issues.