Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 07:12 AM   #101
hilltopper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Meredith
Posts: 651
Thanks: 23
Thanked 93 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
As it got dark, and he was starting to leave, he suddenly turned and headed over toward the town beach. A car pulled up in that parking lot (east side) and had a kayak on the top. It parked like they were going to put in the kayak, but a quick light up with his spotlight and a quick blue light flash sent them on their way.
I don't understand what the folks in the car were doing wrong. Can you not launch a kayak from the town beach?

I agree with hazelnut. This is my impression of how the MP should operate. Some of the other MP stories are disturbing...
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #102
chmeeee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central CT
Posts: 90
Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
I don't understand what the folks in the car were doing wrong. Can you not launch a kayak from the town beach?

I agree with hazelnut. This is my impression of how the MP should operate. Some of the other MP stories are disturbing...
At night? I would assume not...
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #103
hilltopper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Meredith
Posts: 651
Thanks: 23
Thanked 93 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmeeee View Post
At night? I would assume not...
I've never seen or heard of a law that says it's illegal to kayak at night. You'd need a light on the kayak viewable for 360 degrees to make it legal.

Nothing better than kayaking at night under a moonlit sky. On smaller, less populated bodies of water I might even do it without a light (OH THE HORROR!!!!!).
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #104
upthesaukee
Senior Member
 
upthesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 4,624
Thanks: 1,361
Thanked 1,389 Times in 755 Posts
Default Kayak

the kayak was a sit upon type, and while not impossible to have a light, it is highly unlikely that they did. In fact, in my experience around Alton Bay, I have never seen a kayak at night with a light on it...but I have seen a couple truly in the dark without a light, including one in the middle of the bay in front of the town docks (last year, I believe). Not saying they (the other night) would be wrong, but I doubt the way they took off that they would be using lights.
__________________
I Live Here... I am always UPTHESAUKEE !!!!
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #105
Airwaves
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 1,153
Thanks: 9
Thanked 102 Times in 37 Posts
Default

I don’t believe the law that requires navigation lights on non-power boats require that the all around white light be attached to a kayak, canoe, rowboat etc.

Below is the law. There is a diagram showing the lighting configuration but for some reason I couldn’t copy it to paste it here but it clearly shows a drawing of a person holding an all around light in their hand.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rules/saf-c400.html

Quote:
Saf-C 403.16 Lights on Non-Power Boats.

(a) Boats propelled by oars, paddles or other human or natural device except sails, operated on any public water, shall, between sunset and sunrise, display one white light in a conspicuous position, so placed as to show all around the horizon.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #106
NoBozo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Portsmouth. RI
Posts: 2,233
Thanks: 402
Thanked 459 Times in 307 Posts
Default

I think an All Around light at night for a Kayak, Rowboat, Canoe, etc... is a common FLASHLIGHT... directed toward an approaching boat so as to alert the approaching boat of your presence.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #107
Mee-n-Mac
Senior Member
 
Mee-n-Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,943
Thanks: 23
Thanked 111 Times in 51 Posts
Arrow Not visible 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I think an All Around light at night for a Kayak, Rowboat, Canoe, etc... is a common FLASHLIGHT... directed toward an approaching boat so as to alert the approaching boat of your presence.
I don't think that (a flashlight) qualifies. The intent is to have a light visible from anywhere a boat may approach the unpowered vessel. While you could argue that being able to swivel the flash meets this requirement, I'd ask what would happen when two or more boats approach from differing directions. It might be a tad tiring holding the flashlight so as to meet the 2 mile requirement as well. And on that note I've seen kayaks at night but I've wondered if their lights met the 2 mile rule. They seemed pretty dim to me.
__________________
Mee'n'Mac
"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity or ignorance. The latter are a lot more common than the former." - RAH
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:59 PM   #108
Kevin C
Senior Member
 
Kevin C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Billerica, Ma
Posts: 103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Some Common Sense

In reading the kayak posts I thought that with all the boat traffic generated by the concert and being a Saturday Night that common sense would indicate that it might not be safe at all to be out in the area in a kayak even with a white light on. I think it was a smart move by the MP to discourage the kayaker.
__________________
Skipper of CIRCUITOUS

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Author Unknown.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #109
Lakegeezer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 1,477
Thanks: 278
Thanked 457 Times in 201 Posts
Default

I had an example of bush league MP action today that had me surprised and laughing. I was headed south, hugging the 3 red markers near Elkins point in M'boro bay. The MP was going north, on my starboard side, on a parallel line at least 300 feet away. As if taunting, the MP veered towards me, to close the distance. I could not believe it. It was so blatant. She was crowding me against the markers on purpose, forcing me to change course or come to idle. There was no way she needed to head me off. It was a clear case of MP abuse! Not one to be intimidated, I chuckled, cut in front of her (with at least 300 feet to spare) and headed sharply off to the west. However, her bonehead actions forced a change course and the MP lost another point of respect. It was one of the smaller MP boats. I have been noticing how the larger boats are showing more respect to other boaters and keeping their distance. Perhaps this one was looking to satisfy that end-of-month quota.
__________________
-lg
Lakegeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #110
VtSteve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,313
Thanks: 230
Thanked 358 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Video cameras people, video works.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #111
NHBoat70
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Laconia
Posts: 69
Thanks: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Default Newspaper Article

Would anyone, who has commented on this thread, like to be in the newspaper about this situation? Private message me, as I can set up an interview with a local newspaper in the area. Contact me as soon as possible.
NHBoat70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #112
Lakegeezer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 1,477
Thanks: 278
Thanked 457 Times in 201 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBoat70 View Post
Would anyone, who has commented on this thread, like to be in the newspaper about this situation? Private message me, as I can set up an interview with a local newspaper in the area. Contact me as soon as possible.
Sort of an "at your own risk" opportunity, isn't it? It is not wise to complian too loudly about the MP. They are the ones with the guns, and ticket books. I would prefer that the MP post to the forum and discuss the problem.
__________________
-lg
Lakegeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #113
4Fun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 283
Thanks: 1
Thanked 65 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
I have been noticing how the larger boats are showing more respect to other boaters and keeping their distance. Perhaps this one was looking to satisfy that end-of-month quota.
This is just an observation but I have noticed the smaller boats are usually piloted by the younger MPs. The old style inboard boats usually have a "Senior" looking officer on them. I am sure the more experience you have as an MP the more you realize what is dangerous and what is not.

I still say most of these MPs, and citizen boaters, should spend a few hours in the Newburyport MA inlet on a weekend to see what really dangerous operation is. It's like the worst day on Winni amplified 100X.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #114
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH / Bozeman MO
Posts: 4,706
Thanks: 2,223
Thanked 818 Times in 569 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
I still say most of these MPs, and citizen boaters, should spend a few hours in the Newburyport MA inlet on a weekend to see what really dangerous operation is. It's like the worst day on Winni amplified 100X.
Or the Intercaostal in Florida..........................
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #115
elchase
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default MP doing great

I'm very happy with the MP this year. They seem to have gotten the message that things were getting out of hand and clamped down accordingly.They are certainly increasing their visibility. Things are so much more civilized out there this year than they have been in a long time. I don't understand why people are complaining because they are getting stopped and warned. That seems like a very reasonable approach and a good compromise.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #116
trfour
Senior Member
 
trfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Lakes, Central NH. and Dallas/Fort Worth TX.
Posts: 3,258
Thanks: 2,399
Thanked 350 Times in 158 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
I'm very happy with the MP this year. They seem to have gotten the message that things were getting out of hand and clamped down accordingly.They are certainly increasing their visibility. Things are so much more civilized out there this year than they have been in a long time. I don't understand why people are complaining because they are getting stopped and warned. That seems like a very reasonable approach and a good compromise.
I agree, MP has done a great job over all on Lake Winnipesaukee. A+ for them.
The rest need to do some more to keep their vacations Happy and Safe.
trfour
__________________
trfour

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #117
VtSteve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,313
Thanks: 230
Thanked 358 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
I'm very happy with the MP this year. They seem to have gotten the message that things were getting out of hand and clamped down accordingly.They are certainly increasing their visibility. Things are so much more civilized out there this year than they have been in a long time. I don't understand why people are complaining because they are getting stopped and warned. That seems like a very reasonable approach and a good compromise.
Perhaps you're not reading about the stops and warnings? Most are pretty ridiculous IMO, and there's no compromise, just the law and common sense.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:50 AM   #118
winnipesaukeenh
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It's nice to finally see some posts of a positive nature towards the Marine Patrol. I don't think people understand how tough their job can really be. And to all of the people complaining about being pulled over, stop breaking the law.
winnipesaukeenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:17 AM   #119
4Fun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 283
Thanks: 1
Thanked 65 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
I'm very happy with the MP this year. They seem to have gotten the message that things were getting out of hand and clamped down accordingly.They are certainly increasing their visibility. Things are so much more civilized out there this year than they have been in a long time. I don't understand why people are complaining because they are getting stopped and warned. That seems like a very reasonable approach and a good compromise.

In my 30 hours on the boat so far this year have actually seen LESS MP presence. The exception being last weekend in Moultonboro. Saw 3 MP boats.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:34 AM   #120
winnipesaukeenh
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
In my 30 hours on the boat so far this year have actually seen LESS MP presence. The exception being last weekend in Moultonboro. Saw 3 MP boats.
I have a friend in MP and he said that they didn't hire any new officer's for this past summer due to budget issues. They're doing the best they can w/ what they have for resources.
winnipesaukeenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #121
hazelnut
Senior Member
 
hazelnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,348
Thanks: 503
Thanked 461 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipesaukeenh View Post
It's nice to finally see some posts of a positive nature towards the Marine Patrol. I don't think people understand how tough their job can really be. And to all of the people complaining about being pulled over, stop breaking the law.
Not that simple. SOME MP are baiting people. Potentially engaging in illegal behavior "entrapment." Also read the thread about Speeding and the post where one person was pulled over for doing 18MPH and told they were gauged at going 35MPH by the MP officer.

I'm all for supporting the MP but my observations of the actions of SOME of the MP officers have been less than professional. I know it is not ALL of the officers and I know we absolutely need them. I also believe it is well within our rights to complain about these incidents. Before you say it I will tell you that I have emailed and phoned in these complaints to the MP. I have even encouraged MP to read this board and emailed the link. MP Officers could sift through these posts and learn a lot IMO. Obviously some posts need to be taken with a grain of salt but there are far too many similar stories to be dismissed as mere coincidence.

I for one expect better from the MP than the stories relayed here. I have said it before and I'll say it again. We need them and for the most part they do a good job. I wish it were as simple as you stated winnipesaukeenh "to all of the people complaining about being pulled over, stop breaking the law. " but it isn't.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #122
elchase
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
In my 30 hours on the boat so far this year have actually seen LESS MP presence. The exception being last weekend in Moultonboro. Saw 3 MP boats.
I'm very confused about the contradictions around this forum. In some threads, people complain about the omnipresence of the MP. In others, they complain about their lack of visibility. In some threads, people complain that new laws are not causing them to change their ways or are actually causing them to boat more daringly. In other threads, the same people are complaining about the overbearing enforcement that is forcing them to slow down. Seems it's true that you can not please everyone and that no two people see the same thing the same way. All I know is that I have been able to get out in my sail boat much more often this year...even on weekends. And the fishing has been so much more enjoyable for my son and me, even into the late morning. And I've actually taken my wife and parents out to breakfast and dinner in the power boat a few times this year, even cutting across the Broads. All things that we could not do or enjoy in past years, because (for me at least) boating is so much slower, quieter, and more civilized this year. Perhaps that is the result of the MP "baiting" boaters, the high price of gas, or the bad economy. But certainly the new laws have also been a part, no matter what some people are saying here. By and large, people tend to obey the law, even if they grumble about having to do so, and that seems to be what we have been seeing this year. It's just my opinion, but there seems to be a disgruntled underbelly that will always try to sabotage anything they disagree with. You'll see the same poster in one thread saying the slowing down of boating is hurting the shoreline or economy, then in the next thread saying it is not having any effect. Meanwhile, those of us who have no need to speed about are enjoying this lack of effect while it lasts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #123
VtSteve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,313
Thanks: 230
Thanked 358 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
I'm very confused about the contradictions around this forum. In some threads, people complain about the omnipresence of the MP. In others, they complain about their lack of visibility. In some threads, people complain that new laws are not causing them to change their ways or are actually causing them to boat more daringly. In other threads, the same people are complaining about the overbearing enforcement that is forcing them to slow down. Seems it's true that you can not please everyone and that no two people see the same thing the same way. All I know is that I have been able to get out in my sail boat much more often this year...even on weekends. And the fishing has been so much more enjoyable for my son and me, even into the late morning. And I've actually taken my wife and parents out to breakfast and dinner in the power boat a few times this year, even cutting across the Broads. All things that we could not do or enjoy in past years, because (for me at least) boating is so much slower, quieter, and more civilized this year. Perhaps that is the result of the MP "baiting" boaters, the high price of gas, or the bad economy. But certainly the new laws have also been a part, no matter what some people are saying here. By and large, people tend to obey the law, even if they grumble about having to do so, and that seems to be what we have been seeing this year. It's just my opinion, but there seems to be a disgruntled underbelly that will always try to sabotage anything they disagree with. You'll see the same poster in one thread saying the slowing down of boating is hurting the shoreline or economy, then in the next thread saying it is not having any effect. Meanwhile, those of us who have no need to speed about are enjoying this lack of effect while it lasts.
The vast majority of posts complaining about a lack of presence or enforcement, including my own, had to do with the Captain B's of the world. I don't think anyone complained that people weren't being stopped willy nilly for no reason at all, nor did anyone hope the MP's would intentionally entrap boaters to see if they could force them to violate the law. So while your points make for great stories, they don't seem to have any bearing on the facts.

The reason you're seemingly enjoying yourself this summer has far more to do with the nasty weather and the economy than anything else you perceive. I read reports of slow activity on lakes around the country, with very few exceptions, for those very reasons. Lots of people out of work now, and the last thing on their minds is boating.

Lake Champlain is practically abandoned this year, except for the semi-usual activity in the bay. We have no speed limits at all, and quite a bit more space to roam free than on Winni. Just hasn't been a problem.

Nobody's complained about the law really, and nobody's complained about being stopped if they were speeding, or doing something else wrong. If you can find an instance on these boards this year where people do not have legitimate gripes, particularly the recent threads you point to, please feel free to point them out.

There's always a disgruntled underbelly of people that will perceive most anything to be true about things they don't agree with. In general, most people do obey the law. In general, the vast majority of people that appear to be disgruntled with their encounters with the MP have done nothing wrong.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-10-2009)
Old 07-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #124
dog paw
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 34
Thanks: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I think its like this on most lakes. Seem a shame to see the "control factor" get out of hand on such a nice large lake as Winnipesaukee. As a newbie on Winnipesaukee riding PWC's the wife and I found out real fast about the 150ft thing and "boating lisense" I say, down south we dont need no stinkin lisense In our case the MP officer asked us where we were staying, told us to go to Trexler's like right now and take the test and gave us a bag of info on NH laws and sent us on. I have never been treated that nice on our home lake when pulled over for not breaking any laws.

On our home lake 150 ft would lock it down. To close is when the spray from the other boat hits you or there kid bumps off you on one of those insepid toobs. The MP's spend the days at marinas busting PWC'c and go fast's for moving foward at any speed in a no wake area. A 30 ft day cruiser dragging a tube in circles 20 ft from anything and in 10 ft of water is OK.

I should post pics.... You guys have a awesome lake to play on! We covered every inch of it on our skis and have a new respect for "real" rough water, rock navigation, and our GPS LOL! Hope to get up again soon.
dog paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #125
hazelnut
Senior Member
 
hazelnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,348
Thanks: 503
Thanked 461 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
The vast majority of posts complaining about a lack of presence or enforcement, including my own, had to do with the Captain B's of the world. I don't think anyone complained that people weren't being stopped willy nilly for no reason at all, nor did anyone hope the MP's would intentionally entrap boaters to see if they could force them to violate the law. So while your points make for great stories, they don't seem to have any bearing on the facts.

The reason you're seemingly enjoying yourself this summer has far more to do with the nasty weather and the economy than anything else you perceive. I read reports of slow activity on lakes around the country, with very few exceptions, for those very reasons. Lots of people out of work now, and the last thing on their minds is boating.

Lake Champlain is practically abandoned this year, except for the semi-usual activity in the bay. We have no speed limits at all, and quite a bit more space to roam free than on Winni. Just hasn't been a problem.

Nobody's complained about the law really, and nobody's complained about being stopped if they were speeding, or doing something else wrong. If you can find an instance on these boards this year where people do not have legitimate gripes, particularly the recent threads you point to, please feel free to point them out.

There's always a disgruntled underbelly of people that will perceive most anything to be true about things they don't agree with. In general, most people do obey the law. In general, the vast majority of people that appear to be disgruntled with their encounters with the MP have done nothing wrong.
Wish there was a "Thanks" button but there isn't so I will say that this was very well stated. Thanks VT.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #126
VtSteve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,313
Thanks: 230
Thanked 358 Times in 167 Posts
Default

I just hate BS, which seems to be in abundance lately. This isn't Washington DC where generalized innuendo and false statements seems to spew from an endless ocean of BS.

You can always tell when someone has no argument, no answers, and no position based on facts at all. They use diversion as a first course, attacks on the poster is another favorite, and when all else fails, just make it up. These tactics work very well in DC, because both sides feel the need for a team win.

Case in point, if police on the roads engaged in the activities that the MP's have been described doing on the lake this summer, there's hardly anyone that wouldn't be going nuts about it. Every citizen has the right to be outraged over any behavior by a LEO that is rude, arrogant, dangerous, intimidating, or even unsafe, illegal, and a means of entrapment. It could very well be that the boys back at headquarters have been reading these threads, as I directly suggested they do.

I defy anyone to go back through any of the more contentious threads, or this year's more civil discussions, and point to anyone that has disparaged LEO's, or whined about them doing their duty. If anything, many of us were calling for more active enforcement of the laws on the books which are broken routinely. If the MP's on the lake at any given time (weekends), were solely to stop boaters that were engaging in unsafe and illegal activity, they wouldn't have any time left to engage in childish behavior that benefits no one.

I can only hope that some of the more disingenuous posters experience some of these MP's being discussed up close and personal. Almost to a person, those complaining about the actions of the MP this year are people that not wild, crazy or dangerous boaters IMO. These people use facts in their posts, and do not pop up out of thin air with a new posting name to spout some nonsense. Most are boaters that either can't exceed the speed limit, or very rarely have on the water. I might also add that I haven't read a post yet where someone has actually been stopped for breaking the law, and has come online to complain about it. If I've missed any, sorry for being remiss.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:42 PM   #127
SIKSUKR
Senior Member
 
SIKSUKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,051
Thanks: 215
Thanked 892 Times in 504 Posts
Default

Again,like HN I wish there were a "thank you" button.
__________________
SIKSUKR
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:24 PM   #128
EricP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 329
Thanks: 28
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog paw View Post
I think its like this on most lakes. Seem a shame to see the "control factor" get out of hand on such a nice large lake as Winnipesaukee. As a newbie on Winnipesaukee riding PWC's the wife and I found out real fast about the 150ft thing and "boating lisense" I say, down south we dont need no stinkin lisense In our case the MP officer asked us where we were staying, told us to go to Trexler's like right now and take the test and gave us a bag of info on NH laws and sent us on. I have never been treated that nice on our home lake when pulled over for not breaking any laws.

On our home lake 150 ft would lock it down. To close is when the spray from the other boat hits you or there kid bumps off you on one of those insepid toobs. The MP's spend the days at marinas busting PWC'c and go fast's for moving foward at any speed in a no wake area. A 30 ft day cruiser dragging a tube in circles 20 ft from anything and in 10 ft of water is OK.

I should post pics.... You guys have a awesome lake to play on! We covered every inch of it on our skis and have a new respect for "real" rough water, rock navigation, and our GPS LOL! Hope to get up again soon.
glad to hear you guys made it up, are you still here?
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #129
Belmont Resident
Senior Member
 
Belmont Resident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Belmont NH but prefer Jackman Maine
Posts: 1,857
Thanks: 491
Thanked 409 Times in 251 Posts
Default Good post Vtsteve

You are correct on all of the above. That is why I refrain from visiting this site very often.
Almost anything can be said no matter how hurtful it is, all the while the poster can hide behind a screen name preventing anyone from knowing who they are.
Cowardly? U be the judge.
You know many of those posting such harsh responses are in fact themselves hypocrites. I’ll bet many of them do exactly what they oppose on the lake each time they get behind the wheel of a car bike or snowmobile.
The worst part is if you monitor the postings you eventually get dragged into it and start responding to the banter in the same way. At one time I did.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #130
dog paw
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 34
Thanks: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP View Post
glad to hear you guys made it up, are you still here?

Nah, back to the grind. Rained every single day but one. Did not even have any bats to slay in the house this year...We did ride the skis from Lees Hill across the broads to the other side of Rattlesnake to see the wife's faimilys old place but that was about it. Rode around and hit Weirs, Pops,a few of the wifes old haunts and the new Waldos that everybody in the eats section seems to hate. For some reason I thought you were working down south, you home now?
dog paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:59 AM   #131
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,217
Thanks: 786
Thanked 392 Times in 280 Posts
Default It's "Too Complicated"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
"...You can always tell when someone has no argument, no answers, and no position based on facts at all...I might also add that I haven't read a post yet where someone has actually been stopped for breaking the law, and has come online to complain about it..."
One poster came here to say he wasn't cited for speeding by the MPs. (In Tuftonboro Bay).

The only fine I can recall of a lakefront resident (a neighbor) was more than 40 years ago. (No spotter). I never discovered the final result about a second neighbor who, after receiving a ticket for no spotter, proceeded to waterski again behind his Jet-Ski—at night! (His Jet-Ski was impounded by the MPs that night).

There's something wrong with perception?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP View Post
glad to hear you guys made it up, are you still here?
FYI & BTW...Among the other rules around Winnipesaukee, we have a rule here about "chat".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog paw View Post
"...On our home lake 150 ft would lock it down..."
On my "other" lake, I couldn't miss the odor of a big gasoline spill about 300' away: The owner of the dock made many passes to splash the gasoline off with his Jet-Ski!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog paw View Post
"...You guys have a awesome lake to play on! We covered every inch of it on our skis and have a new respect for "real" rough water, rock navigation, and our GPS LOL! Hope to get up again soon..."
It is an awesome lake, and thanks go to the MPs who try to keep it that way.

BTW: The most thorough way to "cover every inch of it" is by kayak: Idle speed is a better way to visit this lake, not as a "zip-boat". (IMHO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
"...nor did anyone hope the MP's would intentionally entrap boaters to see if they could force them to violate the law..."
1) Placing themselves in harm's way is one way to determine if a multi-offender knows a law exists (or even suspects that a law exists). It also gives the MP an "up-close" chance to see if a suspected offender is deranged, drugged, or drunk.

2) In a crowded situation, how better to halt a "called-in" offender's depredations on other boaters?

(A Complainant is a "10-18" in MP lingo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
"...The reason you're seemingly enjoying yourself this summer has far more to do with the nasty weather and the economy than anything else you perceive... I read reports of slow activity on lakes around the country, with very few exceptions, for those very reasons...Lake Champlain is practically abandoned..."
You weren't on Lake Winnipesaukee this past weekend! I had to quit boating on Sunday due to being beat up by all the wakes, "cross-wakes", and "rogue-wakes"!

On Saturday in the middle of the Broads off Rattlesnake, I watched MP-11 traveling at "flank speed" (about 35-MPH ). He was overtaken within ~200'—and passed—by a 40-footer going nearly double that speed! Did the lights and siren go on?

Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
"...In general, the vast majority of people that appear to be disgruntled with their encounters with the MP have done nothing wrong..."
Not "HOW do you know", but "how could you POSSIBLY know"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
"...people complain about the omnipresence of the MP. In others, they complain about their lack of visibility..."
We haven't read—as yet—of a single person here being cited (or fined) by the MPs: moreover, we've seen where one denied receiving a ticket, and we've seen where a telephone call to the MP office will get the ticket cancelled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
"...I wish it were as simple as you stated winnipesaukeenh "to all of the people complaining about being pulled over, stop breaking the law. " but it isn't.
Like many lawyers will tell you, some things are just "too-complicated" to understand, right?
__________________
.Sailing—Good for you and good for the world...
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #132
VtSteve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,313
Thanks: 230
Thanked 358 Times in 167 Posts
Default

I'll try to be Brief APS

I think what you're describing on the lake is not a lack of enforcement resources, but a simple lack of enforcement?

I've seen on the boards one complaint in particular, whereby someone did complain about being stopped for speeding when they said they most definitely were not. I have no way of knowing if those are the facts or not. If you think "crowding" is an effective method used by the MP's, what the heck are they doing not giving tickets or at least stopping the boats you say Are violating some law or another?

On average, one weekend day is busy if the weather is good. That's about all we're allotted this summer. Like yourself, I get beat up when all of the cruisers and what nots are out trying to enjoy that one day. I've only been out twice I believe during the week this "summer", but I can attest that my view of the broad lake here all the way to NY state is pretty boatless.

About the only reasons I stay on shore are due to wind or weather.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #133
Wolfeboro_Baja
Senior Member
 
Wolfeboro_Baja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hopkinton NH
Posts: 395
Thanks: 88
Thanked 80 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
On Saturday in the middle of the Broads off Rattlesnake, I watched MP-11 traveling at "flank speed" (about 35-MPH ). He was overtaken within ~200'—and passed—by a 40-footer going nearly double that speed! Did the lights and siren go on?

Nope.
I can only guess that either the MP was already responding to a more important call and therefore didn't have time to pull over the offending 40-footer OR your estimates of everyone's speed in this scenario are way off.
Wolfeboro_Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #134
VtSteve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,313
Thanks: 230
Thanked 358 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
I can only guess that either the MP was already responding to a more important call and therefore didn't have time to pull over the offending 40-footer OR your estimates of everyone's speed in this scenario are way off.
I wondered that. A 40 footer going almost 70 and the MP boat was doing? He has a radio No? Not enough range?

It would seem the MP's are way too busy to do anything this summer, but they must be doing something on the lake.

The Director's last interview made it sound like the economy and weather had all but silenced boating, except for these precious few days we've had lately with good weather.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #135
winnipesaukeenh
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post

(A Complainant is a "10-18" in MP lingo).
10-18 is location. 10-88 is complainant.

http://www.nhscan.com/NH10codes/tabid/172/Default.aspx
winnipesaukeenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #136
Skip
Senior Member
 
Skip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Dover, NH
Posts: 1,593
Thanks: 241
Thanked 496 Times in 169 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipesaukeenh View Post
...10-18 is location. 10-88 is complainant...
10-5 on that! (from one 10-37 to another)
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #137
MDcaptive
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey all, i came across this forum because i'm considering moving to the area... and frankly this thread and the results from the research it has prompted me to do scares me a bit. I grew up across the street from a large lake in Maine (though pretty small in comparison to Winnipesaukee) and didn't have any of the hassle that seems to go along with new Hampshire boating- cops on water, headway only < 150 ft, 45 mph, 3 hour class + proctored exam to operate a boat over 25 hp?? I thought I was reading wrong when i saw the latter.

This is scary to me for 2 reasons, one that I agree that having cops on water, especially with a reputation for hassling people who are not actually being unsafe would drastically detract from the enjoyment of an afternoon on the lake. In all my years on the water in Maine I was only on a boat once that was stopped, and that was simply a game warden checking for fishing license and the catch on board. I am quite sure there is no marine patrol or equivalent on fresh water.

second, presumably there is a reason why all this is implemented- do you folks have big problems with truly reckless boaters? The most "trouble" that I ever had was an incident or two of jetskiiers using our wake as a playground, and even so they were not at all too close to be dangerous, just a little annoying.

A question I have for you all is are the experiences shared here unique to Winnipesaukee because of its size and people it attracts, or is Marine patrol on all of the area lakes? I don't mean to come off as some fool who wants to tear around the lake- quite the opposite, as i probably would not even have a boat capable of 45 mph and haven't had a moving violation on pavement in my life- but that doesn't mean I like being over-restricted + nervous about what happens if a bulb burns out or I get a little "too close" to an island. One of the main draws of NH for me is it is supposed to be one of the most "free" states in the east.

Also, any links about the area or other words of wisdom for a single 27 year old prospective new resident would also be appreciated. As someone who would be working from home moving to a place with no nearby existing friends, I'm hoping to find an area with ample opportunity to get involved in the community -Scouting, youth sports, church groups, gun club, etc. to keep from turning into a hermit. Feel free to PM me on subjects not appropriate for this thread. Thanks!
MDcaptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #138
Kamper
Senior Member
 
Kamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Thornton's Ferry
Posts: 1,182
Thanks: 65
Thanked 138 Times in 102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDcaptive View Post
Hey all, i came across this forum because i'm considering moving to the area... and frankly (you guys are making me nervous!) .... Thanks!
Good luck with your search. It's really not the "Dukes of Hazard" situation that these threads make it out to be. Lake Winnipissaukee is like a small community with more than it's fair share of primadonas. Some of them just happen to be water cops. lol.

Haul your boat in for a few visits, or rent one, so you can check out properties from the water. After a couple cruises you'll figure out if it's something to be concernned with. Like any environmental hazard "CB's" and "MPs" are something you learn to live with and mostly avoid.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #139
Mee-n-Mac
Senior Member
 
Mee-n-Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,943
Thanks: 23
Thanked 111 Times in 51 Posts
Arrow More like molehill than mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDcaptive View Post
Hey all, i came across this forum because i'm considering moving to the area... and frankly this thread and the results from the research it has prompted me to do scares me a bit. {big snip-a-roo}

Don't worry. For the most part I doubt you'd find any hassle from the NHMP. There are some rules, such a those pertaining to "rafting", and the MP's enforcement thereof, that rile people up. For the most part their presence is in the background, unnoticed. The lake is quiet in the weekdays and even on the weekends before July and after August. During the summer there are places and times where the lake gets busy and it seems more like driving in Boston than it does in ... say ... Waterville. Even then for the most part I find the Capt B's to be more rude and inconsiderate than outright reckless. Still nothing compared to boating out of Beverly harbor or out of Newburyport or ....
__________________
Mee'n'Mac
"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity or ignorance. The latter are a lot more common than the former." - RAH
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.19795 seconds