Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
breathe easy

Default Braun Bay Rafting Bill

Betsey Patten spoke about the Braun Bay anti rafting bill at the last Selectmen meeting. It's here on the MCA site. ( towards the end of part one around 58 minutes).
She said the hearing date is 1/21 , but the House website has not published that yet.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
lawn psycho

Default Start writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathe easy View Post
Betsey Patten spoke about the Braun Bay anti rafting bill at the last Selectmen meeting. It's here on the MCA site. ( towards the end of part one around 58 minutes).
She said the hearing date is 1/21 , but the House website has not published that yet.
This is the time for people to start writing and calling their representatives.

I also recommend writing Ms Patten. Don't blow your cool and give a ranting email or letter. Concise, logical writings are what get their attention. Food for thought.

This is a case where the few want to impact the many. It's a lake with boats on it. What's more to understand?

Many of us contribute significantly to the local and State economy. If this passes, I will cancel my one week reservation in Moultonborough to show my appreciation. Meredith hotels seems to like my money, maybe I'll go there instead.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default More coming

Hold on to whatever you have left.

After the SL bill, and this rafting bill, there are supporters that wants to regulate the size of boats and the horse power. There are folks that are under the imperssion that Winnipesaukee needs to be the next Squam lake. It will raise waterfront property values. ou can see that now as lake front properties are consolidated and sold at astronomical prices. Such as the multi million dollar sale in Meredith. I believe that was originally 4 seperate lots.

That is why we need to stand up and be counted.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
lawn psycho

Default Summary

For those who did not watch the video:

Statements from Ms. Patten:
1. Stated she does not know the NH afting laws (but is proposing state bill about one).

2. Stated that her bill is in response to complaints from residents around Bruan Bay

3. Stated that the upcoming hearing will include statements from Bruan Bay residents.

Can someone from Moultonborough make a public records request to Ms Patten to get:
1. Name(s) of complaintants?
2. Nature and number of complaints by party?

I could do this but makes more convincing argument to come from a resident.
Does someone know what the stance is from NHMP on this issue?
What is the stance from the boat dealers/marinas in Moultonborough?

With very few sandbars on the lake, this should be a rallying cry for boaters to be heard.

Last edited by lawn psycho; 01-09-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typo, as usual
Old 01-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
lawn psycho

Default Anti-Boat legislator

Here is the proposed bill:http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/hous...er=HB1466.html

Here is the person to flood with emails and letters.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/hous...?member=376041

Representative Betsey Patten (r)
Carroll- District 04
Seat #:4007
Incumbent
Home Address:
46 Patten Hill Road
Moultonborough, NH 03254-2657
Phone: (603)253-6927
Email: blpatten@hotmail.com
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
elchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
Here is the person to flood with emails and letters.
I called her just now. She says she has gotten much more support for the rafting ban than opposition to it. Sounds like (as with other topics on this forum) the opinions of those who post here are not reflecting the opinions of the majority.
Here's a better use of our time;
I don't understand why nobody is making a big deal about the way the State confiscated the sand bar off Ellacoya State Park. The beautiful sandy bottom is only a couple of feet deep out to about 150 yards from shore. The water is the cleanest in the lake. When I was a kid, that was the best place on the lake to swim, snorkel, fish, raft, and learn to ski. Then the state roped it all off to keep boats out. WHY? There is room there for at least fifty boats there. And there are no home owners there to bother...it is state owned shore front. The must have about four acres of water surface roped off and even on the busiest days of the year, the park guests might use a quarter of it. The entire western two thirds of the roped off area barely sees a swimmer. There is still plenty of room for the beach guests on the eastern end towards Lake Shore Park. Why do they have all that water roped off? How can we get those ropes removed and get permission to let boaters raft there again?
Let's call our reps and get a bill introduced to make Ellacoya a rafting zone again.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
lawn psycho

Default Ms Patten

I called and spoke with Ms. Patten. The #1 complaint from residents near Braun Bay is the number of boats.

Not noise, not trash. Boats. The goal of this legislation is to thin out Braun Bay.

I informed her that changing the rafting law would have no affect since most boats are not tied up anyways and some are simply not properly spaced and it's just a matter of enforcing the existing regulations.

She mentioned that porti-pottis on the fish and game land were given as an idea but apparently not well received by shore owners. Shore front owners will never be satisfied as long as anyboat is near their property IMO.

I did mention to her that the State of NH needs to acquire land to protect future access.

Please folks, give her a call and write letters. If you don't speak up now your ability to enjoy the lake will continue to be eroded.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (01-11-2010), malibu (01-20-2010), NoRegrets (01-11-2010), Resident 2B (01-10-2010)
Old 01-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
Misty Blue

Default New law clarification?

Sorry, i'm not a lawyer...

Does this mean that rafting control has gone from the Kona area to the whole Braun Bay from long point to Far Echo?

Sounds to me if three 3 boat rafts are on the bay, anywhere people can't form more that three 2 boat rafts in kona.

Am I reading this right?

Misty Blue
Old 01-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
lawn psycho

Default NHMP Official complaint numbers on Braun Bay

I contacted NHMP. Here are the official complaint numbers from Braun Bay last year. Hundreds of boats over the summer and 6 complaints (safe passage violation would not be Braun Bay specific IMO).

So essentially two residents complaining and Ms. Patten is trying to pass a state law to restrict access to Braun Bay, a very popular sandbar.

For the record, Ms Patten also did not contact or consult with the NHMP about this legislation. She also is a non-boater who "hasn't been on Braun Bay in a long time." Quote is from my phone conversation with her.

Directly from NHMP:
In response to your inquiry, I offer the following;

The Marine Patrol received 10 calls for service this past boating season for the Braun Bay area. One call was simply reporting a drifting boat after a windy evening. The other nine calls were as follows:

6 Rafting Violations/Noise Complaints (includes the report of an intoxicated person)

2 reports from boaters

4 complaints from residents. One resident was responsible for three of the calls.

2 Safe Passage Violations

1 from a boater reporting skiers too close to other boats

1 from resident reporting PWC activity too close to shore

1 Sea Plane Complaint (3 calls about this same incident, 1 boater and 2 nearby residents)

Last edited by lawn psycho; 01-11-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: I think faster than my fingers & hate proofing :)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (01-12-2010), malibu (01-20-2010), NoRegrets (01-11-2010), robmac (01-11-2010)
Old 01-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
Sorry, i'm not a lawyer...

Does this mean that rafting control has gone from the Kona area to the whole Braun Bay from long point to Far Echo?

Sounds to me if three 3 boat rafts are on the bay, anywhere people can't form more that three 2 boat rafts in kona.

Am I reading this right?

Misty Blue
I am not sure what the official delineation mark would be for Braun Bay. NHMP would have to declare some kind of marker as the boundary or enforcement could get sticky real fast.

You need to contact her and let her know your stance on this issue.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
chase1

Her news proposal:
270:133 Braun Bay. No person shall form or allow the boat which he or she is operating or in charge of to be a member of a raft consisting of 3 or more boats in Braun Bay at any time when there are already 3 rafts consisting of 3 or more boats in Braun Bay. In this section, “raft” shall have the same meaning as in RSA 270:42, IV. Any person who violates this section shall be guilty of a violation.

Based on the current sign at Braun Bay we are already restricted from any rafts consisting of more than 2 boats, so a raft of 3 or more boats is currently restricted. If her bill passes as is can we have up 3 rafts consisting of 3 or more boats in Braun Bay......

Chase1
Old 01-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #12
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase1 View Post
Her news proposal:
270:133 Braun Bay. No person shall form or allow the boat which he or she is operating or in charge of to be a member of a raft consisting of 3 or more boats in Braun Bay at any time when there are already 3 rafts consisting of 3 or more boats in Braun Bay. In this section, “raft” shall have the same meaning as in RSA 270:42, IV. Any person who violates this section shall be guilty of a violation.

Based on the current sign at Braun Bay we are already restricted from any rafts consisting of more than 2 boats, so a raft of 3 or more boats is currently restricted. If her bill passes as is can we have up 3 rafts consisting of 3 or more boats in Braun Bay......

Chase1
I got clarification from the NHMP today. Although there are many "bays" by common name on the lake, none of them have an official delineation mark as to where they begin and end. Her bill, if it were to pass, would be 100% unenforceable.

I can also tell you that NHMP stated that they do not support the bill as written and they were never consulted on the language in which it was drafted.

However, during my discussion with Ms Patten that her bill would be ineffective, she indicated her goal is to reduce the number of boats in the bay and she would amend the bill if necessary.

I actually almost didn't want to bring this up as if a legislator is too lazy/dumb as to draft an ineffective bill, it deserves to get killed in a committee and let them chew on it for another year.

If you are sitting on the sidelines, you better start writing and calling your legislator before you're impacted. It takes 5 minutes of your time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
malibu (01-20-2010), Pineedles (01-11-2010)
Old 01-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
Pineedles

Quote:
I got clarification from the NHMP today. Although there are many "bays" by common name on the lake, none of them have an official delineation mark as to where they begin and end. Her bill, if it were to pass, would be 100% unenforceable.

I can also tell you that NHMP stated that they do not support the bill as written and they were never consulted on the language in which it was drafted.

However, during my discussion with Ms Patten that her bill would be ineffective, she indicated her goal is to reduce the number of boats in the bay and she would amend the bill if necessary.

I actually almost didn't want to bring this up as if a legislator is too lazy/dumb as to draft an ineffective bill, it deserves to get killed in a committee and let them chew on it for another year.

If you are sitting on the sidelines, you better start writing and calling your legislator before you're impacted. It takes 5 minutes of your time.

I think you have given Ms. Patten her own personal government epitaph. "too lazy/dumb" to do the people's work well! Ms. Patten, YOU ARE A LOSER and need to resign, because you don't have a clue of what a People's representative is all about! I vote for lazy, as you obviously didn't talk to too many people about this issue!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #14
lawn psycho

Default More info

So this bill is being heard by the Resources, Recreation, & Development committee.

See here: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/hous....aspx?code=H22

Here is the email to the entire committee:
HouseResourcesRecreationandDevelopme....state.n h.us

As always, let your voice be heard or be willing to suffer the consequences of complacency.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #15
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts
Default Committee Email

As a member of the RR & D Committee, I have not received any emails on this bill (HB1466). To address everybody on the committee requires a "~" as the first character in the address.

~HouseResourcesRecreationandDevelopment@leg.state. nh.us
This bill has not been scheduled yet, only assigned to the RR & D Committee.

Be sure your email includes your address, and Winnipesaukee connection, not just your name.

Rep. Chris Christensen
Hillsborough Dist 19
Merrimack, NH
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
dmfigler (01-18-2010), lawn psycho (01-17-2010), malibu (01-20-2010), Resident 2B (01-17-2010), upthesaukee (01-16-2010)
Old 01-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #16
lawn psycho

Default Email

Chris, thank you for the heads-up. I sent a very detailed email to the committee and it did not get bounced back so I am very suprised to hear that you have not received any correspondence.

I will send it again.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #17
TomC

Default not sure that email is valid

I received this notice when i tried to send an email to the commitee:

"This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed."

~houseresourcesrecreationanddevelopment@leg.state. nh.us

Update: The space in the address caused the failure since the domain would not be recognized. I cut/pasted the address directly from Descant's email, so anyone else who does that must delete the space

Last edited by TomC; 01-17-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: additional information added
Old 01-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #18
Lakepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
I received this notice when i tried to send an email to the commitee:

"This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed."

~houseresourcesrecreationanddevelopment@leg.state. nh.us
Could it be the space before nh.us
Old 01-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #19
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts
Default Committee email

I have received two emails so far. One on each side of the issue. Presumably the rest of the committee has received these as well.

I cannot explain a "space" in the committee address since I cut and pasted the address from the NH.gov web site.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #20
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I have received two emails so far. One on each side of the issue. Presumably the rest of the committee has received these as well.

I cannot explain a "space" in the committee address since I cut and pasted the address from the NH.gov web site.
Chris, can you state your view on this issue?
Old 01-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #21
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Hold on to whatever you have left.

After the SL bill, and this rafting bill, there are supporters that wants to regulate the size of boats and the horse power. There are folks that are under the imperssion that Winnipesaukee needs to be the next Squam lake. It will raise waterfront property values. ou can see that now as lake front properties are consolidated and sold at astronomical prices. Such as the multi million dollar sale in Meredith. I believe that was originally 4 seperate lots.

That is why we need to stand up and be counted.
BTW was this property once owned by Dennis Koslowsky of Tyco fame?
Old 01-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #22
CC185

Default I can't believe I'm reading this....

I'm usually a very calm person but after reading what may happen in Braun Bay I had to reply. First of all, I am a Winni vacationer and have spent the last four years renting on Bear Is which includes spending time in Braun Bay enjoying the company of fellow boaters. It makes me sick to think that NH legislators would consider a law restricting the number of boats in Braun Bay to, if I understand the proposal, less than ten boats based on four complaints, three from the same person. This insane law would take away one of the only locations to raft boats on Winni that is enjoyed by the boating public. I have never met a group of people that are more pleasent and fun to be around than the people I have met at Braun Bay. Am I missing something here? Less people in Braun Bay means what? I can't see boats from my lake house? You live on a Lake and boating/rafting are part of the life style. The way the proposed bill reads, in my opinion, is vague at best and I agree with the rest of the posts that the bill is unclear. I keep wondering how stupid politicians get in office. I can tell you that if Braun Bay rafting is curtailed my wife and I along with the friends we vacation with will head to another lake. Maybe that is your desire to limit the number of people on the lake. So I pose this question; is this what the good people in Moultonborough want? The property owners will lose income from the rentals, the grocery stores and restraunts will have fewer customers along with the gas stations, corner stores, ice cream shops, etc. I can take my hard earned dollars and spend them elsewhere. WAKE UP PEOPLE!! Maybe I was wrong about NH.........Live Free or Die for the choosen few.
BroadHopper (01-17-2010), malibu (01-20-2010), NoRegrets (01-18-2010), OCDACTIVE (01-18-2010), Resident 2B (01-17-2010)
Old 01-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #23
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge View Post
BTW was this property once owned by Dennis Koslowsky of Tyco fame?
I believe it was once own by the head of COMPAQ before it was sold to HP. He was an avid performance boat fan who sponsored the offshore boat races on Lake Winnipesaukee back in the 90's.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #24
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

That's what I recall too, the guy from Compaq, and he built the walls.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #25
arthurc

Default Braun Bay RaftingBill

I sent an Email to the Committee using the ~ symbol on Saturday evening. Within two hours I had an acknowledgement from Chris Christensen. He said he was leaning against the bill but wanted to get more info. He also indicated personal involvement by voters would go a long way to defeating it. He also would talk to anyone about it.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #26
OCDACTIVE

At least Mr. Christensen is willing to listen to the people. There are too many state reps. that unfortunately are beyond ignorant to the effects of the laws they are voting on. Many seem to only vote on things without listening to the facts and understand the actual effects of the law. Or are in the pockets of well funded groups and lobbiests. This will ruin a natural resource that should be enjoyed by all. Another "feel good" piece of legislation that only stretches the MP's resources and drives people out of our state hurting the already fragile economy.

Braun Bay is one of the most visited and in my opinion one of the major reasons many people visit Lake Winnipsaukee. Why should a few complaints from less then 5 people ruin it for generations of people who have visited the lake over the decades!?!

I think we all need to band together and let our reps. know how we feel. The boating community of NH is represented very well here on Winni.com and we can make a difference. Please don't just voice your opinion. Make it known to the state legislature.
BroadHopper (01-19-2010), DEJ (01-18-2010), hancoveguy (01-25-2010), NoRegrets (01-18-2010)
Old 01-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #27
Yosemite Sam

Default Who are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
There are too many state reps. that unfortunately are beyond ignorant to the effects of the laws they are voting on.
Evidently you have researched this and have the data that gives the names of the reps that are ignorant as to what laws they are voting for. Can you give me the names of the reps and what laws they don’t understand?

Quote:
Or are in the pockets of well funded groups and lobbiests.
What lobbyist and well funded groups are you talking about.

If you can give me this information I will write each one of them to make sure they do their job right.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #28
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Evidently you have researched this and have the data that gives the names of the reps that are ignorant as to what laws they are voting for. Can you give me the names of the reps and what laws they don’t understand?

What lobbyist and well funded groups are you talking about.

If you can give me this information I will write each one of them to make sure they do their job right.
Evidently you didn't read the beginning where the sponsor of the bill wasn't completely aware of the effects and was only sponsoring the bill based on a couple of complaints.

Statements from Ms. Patten:
1. Stated she does not know the NH afting laws (but is proposing state bill about one).

To me this would warrent as ignorant in this situation. There are plenty of other bills out there that when you speak to the reps. they are unaware of the bill no matter the substance. I dont have the time to do your research for you. sorry.

If you want to write everyone of them to go over their voting records have at it.
breathe easy (01-18-2010), DEJ (01-18-2010)
Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #29
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
I dont have the time to do your research for you. sorry.

Nor did you do any research for yourself!

It's not fair to make statements about a group of people and then not have the data to back it up.

This post is talking about one certain rep and you lump the rest of them in with her. That is just not fair!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #30
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Nor did you do any research for yourself!

It's not fair to make statements about a group of people and then not have the data to back it up.

This post is talking about one certain rep and you lump the rest of them in with her. That is just not fair!
I do not need to justify myself to you nor will I.

However I said Many not "all". It was refreshing to see that Rep. Christensen is willing to listen to the people.

There are many issues being discussed at the state house. And I don't know if you are involved or not. However I am and from first hand experience it is unfortunate how many Reps. do not understand the legislation "not only this one" before they cast their votes. Many simply vote along party lines.
DEJ (01-18-2010), hancoveguy (01-25-2010)
Old 01-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #31
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
I do not need to justify myself to you nor will I.

However I said Many not "all". It was refreshing to see that Rep. Christensen is willing to listen to the people.

There are many issues being discussed at the state house. And I don't know if you are involved or not. However I am and from first hand experience it is unfortunate how many Reps. do not understand the legislation "not only this one" before they cast their votes. Many simply vote along party lines.

What seems to be unfortunate here is that if a lawmaker votes for something that you don't like, then they didn't do their research properly and therefore they are ignorant.

I firmly believe that we need to give our legislative body more credit for what they do even if they don't vote our way each time.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #32
DEJ

[QUOTE=Yosemite Sam;116886]What seems to be unfortunate here is that if a lawmaker votes for something that you don't like, then they didn't do their research properly and therefore they are ignorant.

That is not what OCDACTIVE said YS, I suggest you go back, read and comprehend what he posted.
The Following User Says Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
breathe easy (01-18-2010)
Old 01-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #33
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
That is not what OCDACTIVE said YS, I suggest you go back, read and comprehend what he posted.

Please explain to me what he said that I didn't comprehend?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #34
DEJ

Post #26 should explain it for you. Glad I could help you.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #35
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Post #26 should explain it for you. Glad I could help you.

Thank you. Now it is clear as mud!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #36
DEJ

Comprehension - the act or action of grasping with the intellect.

Not all of us have those skills evidently.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #37
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
What seems to be unfortunate here is that if a lawmaker votes for something that you don't like, then they didn't do their research properly and therefore they are ignorant.

I firmly believe that we need to give our legislative body more credit for what they do even if they don't vote our way each time.

First I have utmost respect for those who are willing to serve "the people".

Also, there have been many votes against my thoughts such as the gaming bill. The data from a social perspective did not recommend it, financially it did. Although what I wanted did not happen the data was there and the current legislative body did what it thought was in the best interests of "the people".

This bill clearly is not in the best interest of the majority of the people and the sponsor themself by her own admission is not clear on the current laws yet she is presenting this bill.

Back on topic, what are your thoughts on this bill? Or are you just trying to find an argument on a topic because we haven't seen eye to eye on past issues? I noticed this thread has been up for quite awhile and you hadn't responded before... Be careful there are names for people who do that. Not saying that is the case here.....
Old 01-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #38
NoRegrets

Yo-Sam. All you have to do is listen to any of the debates from the Mass race for senator and you can see how accurate OCD's observations were. Look at the change and transparancy we got. The people serving on the national level used to be the cream of the crop and the locals were not bad but not the same caliberr. I think he was being polite and thank the powers to be that there are still reps. like Mr Christensento deal with. It is impossible to get any of my reps to even talk to the little people!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoRegrets For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-19-2010), OCDACTIVE (01-18-2010), robmac (01-19-2010)
Old 01-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #39
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Be careful there are names for people who do that. Not saying that is the case here.....

This proves my point that if someone disagrees with you or ask you to explain something that they don't understand, then they are either ignorant or a troll.

Does asking for clarification about something make me a troll?

From what I have read here about the Braun Bay proposed bill, Ms Patten hasn't done the proper research needed to convince me that this bill is needed.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #40
DEJ

You pretty much nailed it OCD.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #41
SIKSUKR

Default A little sensitive

Sounds like somebody might be a state represenitive or an elected official.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #42
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
This proves my point that if someone disagrees with you or ask you to explain something that they don't understand, then they are either ignorant or a troll.

Does asking for clarification about something make me a troll?

From what I have read here about the Braun Bay proposed bill, Ms Patten hasn't done the proper research needed to convince me that this bill is needed.
Well since we agree on this that the information provided does not warrent this new law no need to argue the point. Thanks for your support.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #43
Mink Islander

Back on topic, what are your thoughts on this bill? Or are you just trying to find an argument on a topic because we haven't seen eye to eye on past issues? I noticed this thread has been up for quite awhile and you hadn't responded before... Be careful there are names for people who do that. Not saying that is the case here..... [/QUOTE]

In my experience on this forum, when people start questioning the motives of other forum members instead of staying "on topic", the discussion too often turns nasty and non-constructive.

Not saying that's the case here
Old 01-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #44
elchase

I wrote all of the reps and got back numerous friendly replies. Sometimes it is better to just write to their personal addresses.
I think ten boats anchored all day in a cove that size is plenty...probably as much abuse as any cove can stand. Remember, we are not just talking about boats sitting inertly atop the water here. People are peeing and littering. Bilge pumps are kicking on and off. Like any place else that people frequent, lots of "stuff" is being left behind. Like any other rafting cove on the lake, the bottom is covered with sunk Budweiser empties, and worse. And therein lies the problem. Too many partiers have taken too much of a toll for too long on what used to be such a nice spot, or this bill would not have ever gotten filed. Blame them...blame yourselves.
Ten boats might not be the right number, but at least it is a start. Now the reps can argue about whether it should be ten boats or eight or sixteen, but at least we have a proposal with a fixed number, and that number can be debated and tweeked. That is how the legislative process is supposed to work.
What is your suggestion? "No limits"? "Let people decide for themselves"? Sounds familiar.
Meanwhile, a much better rafting spot continues to be roped off to all boats...right off Ellacoya State Beach in Gilford. The cleanest water in the lake. The nicest bottom. Acres and acres of 3-ft deep sandy bottom off shore of state-owned land with nobody using it. A natural flushing system (Ellacoya Brook) to wash the pee away. Ropes say "Keep out". Why? Where's the outrage?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #45
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
I wrote all of the reps and got back numerous friendly replies. Sometimes it is better to just write to their personal addresses.
I think ten boats anchored all day in a cove that size is plenty...probably as much abuse as any cove can stand. Remember, we are not just talking about boats sitting inertly atop the water here. People are peeing and littering. Bilge pumps are kicking on and off. Like any place else that people frequent, lots of "stuff" is being left behind. Like any other rafting cove on the lake, the bottom is covered with sunk Budweiser empties, and worse. And therein lies the problem. Too many partiers have taken too much of a toll for too long on what used to be such a nice spot, or this bill would not have ever gotten filed. Blame them...blame yourselves.
Ten boats might not be the right number, but at least it is a start. Now the reps can argue about whether it should be ten boats or eight or sixteen, but at least we have a proposal with a fixed number, and that number can be debated and tweeked. That is how the legislative process is supposed to work.
What is your suggestion? "No limits"? "Let people decide for themselves"? Sounds familiar.
Meanwhile, a much better rafting spot continues to be roped off to all boats...right off Ellacoya State Beach in Gilford. The cleanest water in the lake. The nicest bottom. Acres and acres of 3-ft deep sandy bottom off shore of state-owned land with nobody using it. A natural flushing system (Ellacoya Brook) to wash the pee away. Ropes say "Keep out". Why? Where's the outrage?
In my opinion, NO areas of the lake should be roped off to keep people out (unless for a legit reason such as milfoil abatement). The lake is for ALL people to use.
BroadHopper (01-20-2010), Resident 2B (01-20-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #46
DEJ

What is next, a bill limiting the number of boats on the lake? This mentality of limiting everything simply because a few complain is getting ridiculous.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:50 AM   #47
SIKSUKR

Default Thank you Massachusett residents

Quote:
What is next, a bill limiting the number of boats on the lake? This mentality of limiting everything simply because a few complain is getting ridiculous.
Agreed,but we may have turned the corner after the event in Massachusetts yesterday.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #48
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Agreed,but we may have turned the corner after the event in Massachusetts yesterday.
Agreed, as long as the supporters of the losing team don't flock here!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #49
Misty Blue

Default What "stuff"?

elchase:

I don't know where you are finding trash, etc. in the Kona area of Braun Bay.

I live on the bay and have a view of the sand bar where those dirty boaters spend so much time. I have an intrest in the bay to say the least.

First the bay, in my opinion, is not overcrowded. Yes I have seen as many as seventy boats up in the bay in the past. There are usually fewer boats than that and they are using the sandbar for six hours a day, two days a week for eight to ten weeks a year. It doesn't seem more busy (traffic wise) than Weirs, Alton, Wolfeboro etc. Boats that are anchored don't scare me. Laws like this one would place "controls" on the bay that are in effect 24/7 from ice out to ice in. What' more, as written, it encompesses the entire bay not just the state land on the north shore.

As for trash. Where are you getting this? We conoe and kayak there all the time and I am shocked at how clean it is! I expect that the people enjoying the area self police themselves well. I have seen people asking others not to wash their boats there because they are playing in the water.

I have hunted in the Kona area my whole life and have only once or twice found human waste (poop) in the area. Same thing goes for cans.

Sorry but I think that this is just a case of a "squeeky wheel" getting the ear of a Rep. who is not up to par on the subject.

Misy Blue
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-20-2010), ishoot308 (01-20-2010), OCDACTIVE (01-20-2010), Rattlesnake Guy (01-24-2010), Resident 2B (01-20-2010), Seaplane Pilot (01-20-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #50
BroadHopper

Default An idea.

Quote:
ElChase: Why don't you propose to your cronies on the legislature to swap Braun Bay for Ellacoya State Beach! That is an excellent idea!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #51
BernerGuy

"No person shall form or allow the boat which he or she is operating or in charge of to be a member of a raft consisting of 3 or more boats in Braun Bay at any time when there are already 3 rafts consisting of 3 or more boats in Braun Bay. In this section, “raft” shall have the same meaning as in RSA 270:42, IV. "

Hence, if there are 2 rafts consisting of 700 boats each, then a 3rd raft can be made with an infinite number of boats and so long as a 4th raft is not made everything is fine? This bill is not something I favor, but I see this as a HUGE loophole.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #52
NoRegrets

I am not a Braun Bay frequenter but it is amazing to read about the positives and then the horrors of the location. Stories from both property owners and boaters come from 2 extreme perspectives. Is everyone talking about the same place or are there 2 Braun bays?

One of the addicting features of the Winni Forum is allowing these diverse perspectives to be pondered.

One man's treasure is another's trash. There are times I love the quiet and solitude on the lake and other times I enjoy a great party. It is not possible to have both at the same time but you cannot control public resources when used in a legal way. If there is a trash issue I am sure the repeat users of the bay could organize a "clean-up" party on a periodic basis. I have seen many boaters try to pick up trash they find and take care of it later. Most of the positive posters seem reasonable.

I hope this is an effort to get an issue on the table and let the debate begin and address the real issues. I am truly against having the government create laws to manage how or when we can use public resources for enjoyment. Eventually we would end up spending all our discretionary time checking the law books for what we could or could not do before we ventured onto public property.

Thank you Massachusett*E*s voters for the backbone and sending the message across the country to stop the "Bribes for Votes" process!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #53
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
... Stories from both property owners and boaters come from 2 extreme perspectives. Is everyone talking about the same place or are there 2 Braun bays? ....
How correct NoRegrets!

Not only are there "two Braun Bays" it seems most of the same gang has a radically different view of the whole lake! You cannot go faster than they want and you cannot stop to enjoy public shallow water. I guess if you have personal phone numbers of law-makers, you get special treatment, while the rest of us just get to pay tax and usage bills.

So nice of them to let us use their lake!!!

Watch out for their next restriction! They seem to think they are special and they admit they are politically connected with access the private phone lines of law-makers. At least that is the present case. Elections can and will change things when they get out-of-hand. Just look a bit south for proof!

R2B
Old 01-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #54
chipj29

Default More laws!

Just another unnecessary (proposed) law, that is already covered by existing laws. What problems does it address?
1. Littering? Laws against littering are on the books.
2. Human poop in the woods? There are laws against indecent exposure on the books.
3. Dumping black/grey water? There are laws against that too.

So what exactly would this accomplish, other than to satisfy a few chronic complainers (a very small minority)?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #55
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
How correct NoRegrets!

Not only are there "two Braun Bays" it seems most of the same gang has a radically different view of the whole lake! You cannot go faster than they want and you cannot stop to enjoy public shallow water. I guess if you have personal phone numbers of law-makers, you get special treatment, while the rest of us just get to pay tax and usage bills.

So nice of them to let us use their lake!!!

Watch out for their next restriction! They seem to think they are special and they admit they are politically connected with access the private phone lines of law-makers. At least that is the present case. Elections can and will change things when they get out-of-hand. Just look a bit south for proof!

R2B
"they" are awful people aren't "they"
Old 01-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #56
gtagrip

Quote:
?
Yup, why let the citizens of this country decide things for themselves? Big Brother is the way to go?! Let's have more government control. I guess that way of thinking worked out well for Martha Coakly didn't it! Thank You Massachusetts! NH, watch out, your next!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #57
Airwaves

Default Hearing on the bill tomorrow?

Here is a rough transcript of Braun Bay bill before Moultonborough Selectmen
1/7/10 by Betsy Patten. According to her testimony there is a hearing on this bill Thursday Jan 21st. I have not doubled checked that information:

Rep Patten “I also put in a bill about the rafting that is happening, how many boats are in Braun Bay and that hearing will be coming up on the 21st which is probably next week?, next week the 28th? No,

Selectman, “I think there’s already a thing on there”

Rep Patten “Well what happens is that you can, I think you can put 3 boats together in a raft, what happens at Braun Bay is that there is multiples of 3 and it just grows and grows and grows and I have gotten complaints, and I have always heard that under the law enforcement on the water, there wasn’t anything that law enforcement on the land can do unless marine patrol was out there, and so I wanted to be able to…what I put in was to limit how many rafting conglomerations can be out there, Say you can put three rafts of three out there, I don’t know where it’s going to go. The hearing is, I’m going to ask people for their input that are down in Braun Bay and we’ll see what happens with that so, every time I get a complaint it’s like lets talk about it and lets see if we can do ..mumbles….”
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Airwaves For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (01-20-2010), Pineedles (01-20-2010), robmac (01-20-2010), Yosemite Sam (01-20-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #58
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
Here is a rough transcript of Braun Bay bill before Moultonborough Selectmen
1/7/10 by Betsy Patten. According to her testimony there is a hearing on this bill Thursday Jan 21st. I have not doubled checked that information:

Rep Patten “I also put in a bill about the rafting that is happening, how many boats are in Braun Bay and that hearing will be coming up on the 21st which is probably next week?, next week the 28th? No,

Selectman, “I think there’s already a thing on there”

Rep Patten “Well what happens is that you can, I think you can put 3 boats together in a raft, what happens at Braun Bay is that there is multiples of 3 and it just grows and grows and grows and I have gotten complaints, and I have always heard that under the law enforcement on the water, there wasn’t anything that law enforcement on the land can do unless marine patrol was out there, and so I wanted to be able to…what I put in was to limit how many rafting conglomerations can be out there, Say you can put three rafts of three out there, I don’t know where it’s going to go. The hearing is, I’m going to ask people for their input that are down in Braun Bay and we’ll see what happens with that so, every time I get a complaint it’s like lets talk about it and lets see if we can do ..mumbles….”
Thank you Airwaves!

Information like that is what is needed to carry on a good debate about the Braun Bay Bill.

What Rep Patten stated makes since because she is asking for input and is collecting data. She doesn't claim to be a know it all and is open for suggestions.

Good job Airwaves!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #59
OCDACTIVE

I am not a "rules" gureu when it comes to the legislature and committees however can't you hold discussions in committee without proposing a new law???? wouldn't that be the wiser move? and save the citizens less tax money in paperwork and having to hold hearings etc? Especially if you really aren't sure what it is you are proposing?
Old 01-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #60
robmac

I was under the impression that you can and should.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #61
breathe easy

Here is the link to the bills status:
HB 1466

No hearing date has been scheduled as far as I can tell.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #62
lawn psycho

Default The facts

Doing some more background research on rafting areas on Lake Winnipesaukee, here are the NRZs for the lake. I grouped them by Town. It appears those in Moultonborough feel they have exclusive rights to their little areas. That or they want to lead the lake in excluding those nasty boat people.

What I take from this is:
1. Seems like there must be a lot of prime swimming spots I need to check out this summer
2. Many of these are totally non-enforceable as written and would not stand a chance if a violation was written for rafting. Laws have to be precise and there is no “spirit of the law” or “intent of the law” to get a conviction.

Example 1: Buzzell Cove, Green’s Basin, and East Cove are known to whom? There is no officially recognized area of any of these locations nor are they defined. MP could put up markers and it still would not hold up in court. Any of these that use the name of an unofficial bay or cove would get tossed out of court. Said another way, none of the bays or coves are officially recognized by the State of NH.

Example 2: The word “about" which I have bolded would kill this one. It either is or isn’t. Brickyard Cove, encompassing a described area that would run south of an imaginary line running about 2,300 feet from the northern tip of Clay Point to the southern tip of Barndoor Island;
So Officer, did you measure the line? No? Did you locate the precise Northern Tip? No? Where is Brickyard Cove officially recognized by the State of NH? It’s not? Dismissed.

Looks like you better have all the area tax maps available in your boat instead of a map. I don’t think those would hold up either. Imagine if you designated speed limits on city streets based on lots lines rather than signs. Gimme a break.

Saf-C 407.03 Prohibited Areas.

(a) Rafting as defined in RSA 270:42, V, shall be prohibited in the following areas of Lake Winnipesaukee unless covered by one of the exceptions specified in RSA 270:45:

MOULTONBOROUGH (6 areas)
(1) The Kona Mansion, so-called, in Moultonborough, east of an imaginary line running north and south from the red top mark buoy located on the western tip of Avery's Point on the south to the Kona Farm gas docks on the north;
(4) Braun Bay, within 300 feet of both fish and game property lines, to be delineated by marine patrol with orange mooring balls;
(5) Braun Bay, at a distance less than 75 feet from shore, to be delineated by marine patrol with orange mooring balls;
(8) The entire area known as Green’s Basin, in the town of Moultonborough;
(10) The entire area known as Buzzell Cove, in the town of Moultonborough;
(13) The entire area known as East Cove, in the town of Moultonborough;

ALTON (4 areas)
(2) Small's Cove in Alton, southwest of an imaginary line running southeast-northwest from light 75 on the northwestern end to the northernmost point of land marking the entrance to the first cove, south of Small's Cove on the south;
(6) The area known as Cedar Cove, specifically identified as the area opposite Plum Island which borders the town of Alton tax map 18, lot numbers 12 through 20 and 55;
(11) Brickyard Cove, encompassing a described area that would run south of an imaginary line running about 2,300 feet from the northern tip of Clay Point to the southern tip of Barndoor Island;
(15) Roberts Cove, in the town of Alton, encompassing a described area as between the body of water in Roberts Cove, east of a line running north to south from the westerly boundary of lot 41 on tax map 48 to the westerly boundary of lot 1 on tax map 48.

MEREDITH (2 areas)

(12) The entire area known as Black Cove, in the town of Meredith, encompassing an area in Meredith tax map S-7, east from the northern most point of Lot 5-1 to the southeastern most point of Lot 1;
(14) The entire area known as Advent Cove, in the town of Meredith; and

TUFTONBOROUGH (2 areas)
(7) The area of Winter Harbor from the southern boundary of the town of Tuftonboro tax map 63, lot number 14 to the southern boundary of tax map 15, lot number 20.
(9) Orchard Cove, on the east side of Cow Island, in the town of Tuftonboro;

GILFORD (1 area)
(3) Wentworth Cove, southwest of Governor's Island Bridge west of an imaginary north-south line, running from light 43 on the north to the black top buoy, located off Wentworth Cove Estates on the south;
Old 01-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #63
lawn psycho

Default Fear mongering

Quote:
You are trying to give a solution to something where there is no problem.

OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honey, did you see that!!!!, there's boats out there on the water. Quick, call the Marine Patrol!!!

All those "partiers" in Braun Bay are mostly families enjoying the few warm days of summer. Swimming, sun bathing, socializing. Widespread drunken frat party, we all know that's not even close to reality.

If water from bilge pumps are an issue, then the State of NH should require every private dock to be pulled so their bilge pump isn't cycling 24/7 for the entire boating season. Being realistic, that "bilge" water that you want to somehow relate too toxic waste is the very water that came from the lake. Wow what a half-brained fear-mongering attempt to misinform.

If someone is going to put trash in the lake, they will do it whether that are rafting at a sandbar or not. I am among the many who will stop my boat to pluck something out of the water. The problem with you making a statement like this is you are using a generalization with no factual evidence. My experience is that most people are careful to keep trash out of the water.

In fact, I would argue that lakefront or near lake front properties add more to water quality issues than every boat on the lake. Your roof, house, and all impervious surfaces prevent water from penetrating the ground and getting filtered. Your septic system is your indirect yellow and brown contributions to the lake. Your driveway and the salt and sand from nearby roads that makes into the lake are not exactly desirable. The oil that is on your driveway that gets washed into the lake. Sealcoat your driveway, yep, that's harmful too. It's seems like the ban should be those who LIVE near the lake then there is no problem.....

Your post demonstrates to me that all the red herring issues you raise for Braun Bay are not a "problem" as long as it get's moved to another area of the lake so you don't have to see boats in the Bay. The NHMP data also shows your complaints are not backed by facts.

I agree that parts/all of Ellacoya could be opened up to boaters.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-21-2010), OCDACTIVE (01-20-2010), Rattlesnake Guy (01-24-2010), Resident 2B (01-20-2010), Wolfeboro_Baja (01-22-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #64
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
1. Seems like there must be a lot of prime swimming spots I need to check out this summer
2. Many of these are totally non-enforceable as written and would not stand a chance if a violation was written for rafting. Laws have to be precise and there is no “spirit of the law” or “intent of the law” to get a conviction.
You tell em psycho, you're going to spend your vacation next summer going from prime swimming spot to prime swimming spot on Lake winni and if anyone says anything to you about it being a restricted area, they had better watch out.

I hope the rest of your family can enjoy what this fantastic Lake has to offer while you are looking for trouble.

Have fun!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #65
lawn psycho

Quote:
You tell em psycho, you're going to spend your vacation next summer going from prime swimming spot to prime swimming spot on Lake winni and if anyone says anything to you about it being a restricted area, they had better watch out.

I hope the rest of your family can enjoy what this fantastic Lake has to offer while you are looking for trouble.

Have fun!
You're right Sam, I am going to use those sites as excuse to explore other areas of the lake. That's EXACTLY what I am going to do. They are almost like a an 'X' on a treasure map. Apparently exercising my civil liberities by traveling and swimming on public property is "looking for trouble" to you.

Don't get miffed at me because many of the NRZ locations on the books are poorly written, unenforceable laws. Go speak to your legislator who voted for/against it.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #66
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
You're right Sam, I am going to use those sites as excuse to explore other areas of the lake. That's EXACTLY what I am going to do. They are almost like a an 'X' on a treasure map. Apparently exercising my civil liberities by traveling and swimming on public property is "looking for trouble" to you.

Don't get miffed at me because many of the NRZ locations on the books are poorly written, unenforceable laws. Go speak to your legislator who voted for/against it.

You’re right, my wording was wrong, your civil liberties allow you to swim on public property. I should have said: you will tell them how poorly written, and unenforceable their laws are.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #67
Resident 2B

I just hope the casual readers of this forum can see what a small few are attempting to do to pass laws to further restrict the public's use of a public lake. They won round one, a subject that I can not mention because it is closed, and now they are going for another win. They use personal connections to law-makers to spin lies and blow smoke. Very un-American, in my opinion.

YS, sorry I did not put "they" in large font red. Perhaps you can re-size the words and color them in again. Your help is deeply appreciated!

R2B
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-21-2010), OCDACTIVE (01-20-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #68
elchase

Default Activists try to change rafting law

I can read the headlines now. "ACTIVISTS TRY TO CHANGE RAFTING LAW IN THE DEAD OF WINTER! An activist organization has filed a bill that would limit rafting in Braun Bay without supporting data!..."
There are nuts in every tree who think they are entitled to more than they have earned. Let the people who live on Braun Bay have some peace. Your right to swing your fist ends at their nose. They paid top dollar for their homes and pay a disproportionate amount of tax on it. Their higher than deserved taxes fund your school systems, pay for your police protection, and pave your roads. Don't kill the golden egg laying goose. All they ask is that you don't anchor in front of their houses all day, turn up your radios, pee in their front yard, and leave your trash behind when you go. If one of your neighbors drove up and parked in front of your mobile home, turned up the radio, started opening up Bud's one after the next and peeing on your rhododendrons, then drove away after 8 hours leaving a pile of beer cans behind, you'd be the first to call to the trailer park manager and ask for relief. He might say "but the land in here is all common and the other residents have the same right to use it", but you know that you'd never accept that. So why should they? Treat people with respect and they will return the favor. This rule applies to other things as well (and you know what I mean). If the people of Braun Bay had been treated with respect the way you claim, then this would not have become an issue. Point your blame where it belongs...at the perpetrators, not at the victims. That is the Republican way.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Yosemite Sam (01-21-2010)
Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #69
DEJ

Default Some facts

Here are some facts from people who actually took the time to find out the facts vs. speculation.

From post #7 in this thread
I called and spoke with Ms. Patten. The #1 complaint from residents near Braun Bay is the number of boats.

Not noise, not trash. Boats. The goal of this legislation is to thin out Braun Bay.

From post #9 in this thread
I contacted NHMP. Here are the official complaint numbers from Braun Bay last year.
6 Rafting Violations/Noise Complaints (includes the report of an intoxicated person)
2 reports from boaters
4 complaints from residents. One resident was responsible for three of the calls.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #70
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Here are some facts from people who actually took the time to find out the facts vs. speculation.

From post #7 in this thread

From post #9 in this thread
I contacted NHMP. Here are the official complaint numbers from Braun Bay last year.
2 reports from boaters
Come on DEJ.......... Don't let facts cloud the issue......

I wonder how many of those with opinions for the bill actually visit braun bay?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #71
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Come on DEJ.......... Don't let facts cloud the issue......

I wonder how many of those with opinions for the bill actually visit braun bay?

So 6 Rafting Violations/Noise Complaints (includes the report of an intoxicated person) and 4 complaints from residents from Braun Bay means nothing to you? These complaints/violations are the ones that are on record, but I’m sure there have been confrontations between land owners and boaters that are not part of this data.

I really think that you are not giving any thought at all as to why this could be a problem to the owners of lake front property in this area.

In your mind, just how many rafting violations and complaints from residents does it take to get something done so that landowners and boaters can coexist?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #72
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
So 6 Rafting Violations/Noise Complaints (includes the report of an intoxicated person) and 4 complaints from residents from Braun Bay means nothing to you? These complaints/violations are the ones that are on record, but I’m sure there have been confrontations between land owners and boaters that are not part of this data.

I really think that you are not giving any thought at all as to why this could be a problem to the owners of lake front property in this area.

In your mind, just how many rafting violations and complaints from residents does it take to get something done so that landowners and boaters can coexist?
you may want to correct that.. 4 complaints, 3 from the same person = 2 complaints.. Just a heads up.

You don't pass laws and change something that has been in use for decades where there are already protection laws in place because 2 lake front owners had an issue. Address that issue and move on. No need for big brother to police us all. So until the MP says there is an issue and new regulations need to be passed for safety and the bays protection, I don't believe there is an additional need for repetative laws..

Now a question for you:

would you rather have our MP officers cracking down on major safety viloations, such as BUI, or sitting in braun bay with a tape measure?
robmac (01-21-2010)
Old 01-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #73
OCDACTIVE

One other point for those reading this that don't visit the bay or haven't been there.

The sand bar sits in front of undeveloped land. This area is NOT on someones "front lawn" as some have claimed. Only on the busiest boating days of the year does the anchorage spread beyond this "non-developed area" where there are NO houses.
Carry on
Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #74
DEJ

Quote:
1 last point for those reading this that don't visit the bay or haven't been there.

The sand bar sits in front of undeveloped land. This area is NOT on someones "front lawn" as some have claimed. Only on the busiest boating days of the year does the anchorage spread beyond this "non-developed area" where there are NO houses.
Carry on

Don't cloud the issue with facts OCD.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #75
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Don't cloud the issue with facts OCD.
Those always seem to get in the way of Feel good legislation like this.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #76
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Now a question for you:

would you rather have our MP officers cracking down on major safety viloations, such as BUI, or sitting in braun bay with a tape measure?

You may want to correct that to read.... would you rather have our MP officers cracking down on major safety violations, such as BUI and Speeding. And the answer to that is “Yes”.

I don’t want a law to ban boaters and swimmers from having fun on any Lake in NH. I just think that landowners should have their rights to peace and quiet during the summer months just as I’m sure you want at your home year round. If only one resident has a complaint, to me that is enough to try to get something done. It’s unfortunate that it had to get to the drafting of a law, but to that resident it means everything in the world to them.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #77
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
You may want to correct that to read.... would you rather have our MP officers cracking down on major safety violations, such as BUI and Speeding. And the answer to that is “Yes”.

I don’t want a law to ban boaters and swimmers from having fun on any Lake in NH. I just think that landowners should have their rights to peace and quiet during the summer months just as I’m sure you want at your home year round. If only one resident has a complaint, to me that is enough to try to get something done. It’s unfortunate that it had to get to the drafting of a law, but to that resident it means everything in the world to them.
I am on the lake front and have had plenty of issues with fisherman hitting my boats and docks by overcasting. (in some cases ripping my cover and vinyl) I see this as an inconvenience as being on the lake front. Should I complain then have a represenative draft a bill to ban lake shore fishing because I find this to disturb my piece and quiet?
DEJ (01-21-2010)
Old 01-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #78
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
I am on the lake front and have had plenty of issues with fisherman hitting my boats and docks by overcasting. (in some cases ripping my cover and vinyl) I see this as an inconvenience as being on the lake front. Should I complain then have a represenative draft a bill to ban lake shore fishing because I find this to disturb my piece and quiet?

What does "I am on the lake front" mean?

Do you own Lake front property or are you using public boating facilities?
Old 01-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #79
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
What does "I am on the lake front" mean?

Do you own Lake front property or are you using public boating facilities?
Family owns property but since I am not "the owner" I didn't want to portray that I am.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #80
lawn psycho

Wink

Quote:
I can read the headlines now. "ACTIVISTS TRY TO CHANGE RAFTING LAW IN THE DEAD OF WINTER! An activist organization has filed a bill that would limit rafting in Braun Bay without supporting data!..."
There are nuts in every tree who think they are entitled to more than they have earned. Let the people who live on Braun Bay have some peace. Your right to swing your fist ends at their nose. They paid top dollar for their homes and pay a disproportionate amount of tax on it. Their higher than deserved taxes fund your school systems, pay for your police protection, and pave your roads. Don't kill the golden egg laying goose. All they ask is that you don't anchor in front of their houses all day, turn up your radios, pee in their front yard, and leave your trash behind when you go. If one of your neighbors drove up and parked in front of your mobile home, turned up the radio, started opening up Bud's one after the next and peeing on your rhododendrons, then drove away after 8 hours leaving a pile of beer cans behind, you'd be the first to call to the trailer park manager and ask for relief. He might say "but the land in here is all common and the other residents have the same right to use it", but you know that you'd never accept that. So why should they? Treat people with respect and they will return the favor. This rule applies to other things as well (and you know what I mean). If the people of Braun Bay had been treated with respect the way you claim, then this would not have become an issue. Point your blame where it belongs...at the perpetrators, not at the victims. That is the Republican way.
el, I live a few miles/trailer parks over from "W". Ever been on Ocean Ave in Kennebunkport? Those oceanfront homes aren't cheap (because they upgraded to double wides) and they deal with tourist traffic ALL DAY. And you know what, they knew it was a sightseeing/tourist area and they adjust too it. They get a nice view of the ocean without leaving the trailer park. That view has a price though......

Paying higher taxes does not give you any additional entitlements. I would have expected a rational person to understand that. If you bought waterfront property and live near the lake tourist area and that is what you are entitled too. No refunds or rainchecks. Extreme seclusion and privacy are not included.

The Bay has additional boats for fewer than a dozen weekends for maybe 5-6 hours. Your claim of "hardship" doesn't hold water (or ice today).

And here's something that you may find interesting. In 2003 a study was done that shows boating/swimming/fishing in the State of NH provides more revenue and jobs than do waferfront property taxes.
http://www.nhlakes.org/docs/EcoStudyPhaseII.pdf

I'm sure the hotel owners around the lake sure appreciate my business to help them pay their taxes too
The Following User Says Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
Wolfeboro_Baja (01-22-2010)
Old 01-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #81
lawn psycho

Quote:
If only one resident has a complaint, to me that is enough to try to get something done. It’s unfortunate that it had to get to the drafting of a law, but to that resident it means everything in the world to them.
Say what?!?

What needs to happen is development stopped. Maybe it's those on the shorefront that should realize that they are part of the problem. In fact I'm sure we can dig up some old maps and prove that many homes are not where they are supposed to be or that they never properly aquired development or land rights.

Protect a natural and economic resource. Ban all future contruction, additions. No additional docks.

There. Problem solved.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #82
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Family owns property but since I am not "the owner" I didn't want to portray that I am.

Fisherman are hitting your boats on your family owned docks by overcasting. (in some cases ripping your cover and vinyl) and you only see this as an inconvience for being on the lake front.

I really hate to say this because it might get me banned from this forum, but you are living in a fantasy world with some of your comments and it shows just how immature you really are?
The Following User Says Thank You to Yosemite Sam For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #83
DEJ

YS, please think before you post. Your comment was completely uncalled for.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #84
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Fisherman are hitting your boats on your family owned docks by overcasting. (in some cases ripping your cover and vinyl) and you only see this as an inconvience for being on the lake front.

I really hate to say this because it might get me banned from this forum, but you are living in a fantasy world with some of your comments and it shows just how immature you really are?
I guess some of us are here to discuss the issues and have more of a tolerance for our fellow boater and neighbor.

It is an inconvenience... Did I say something??? Absolutely when I saw it occur. Other times I just find tangled line and hook in my cover. Unfortunately not all of us convey the same courtesies as we would to our fellow man. I realize being on the lake shore has its advantages and its disadvantages. Do I feel I need a law to penalize every fisherman? Absolutley not. For the one or two people who are ignorant shouldn't ruin it for everyone else. So I don't feel a new law should be placed on the entire group. Also because I am already protected by one "destruction of personal property".

I don't think you should be banned from the site. Your comments are entertaining and you are showing your true colors... People can make their own judgments.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #85
BroadHopper

Quote:
My family owned lakefront property since 1892. We see lots of issues in front of the property, but we expect it. After all, the lake is a public park.
If we banned boaters from the lake then I guess folks that live next to public parks can ban baseball because it hit their cars and building. Ban basketball because of the constant noise from dribbling. Ban kiddie rides because of the constant squelling of happy kids.

OMG! I just found the next agenda with these folks! God forbid!

I just don't like folks who move here in the past decade tell me what I can and can not do on this lake. I've been here since birth!
DEJ (01-21-2010), Jonas Pilot (01-21-2010), NoRegrets (01-21-2010), OCDACTIVE (01-21-2010)
Old 01-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #86
Woodsy

Default This crap has got to stop!!!

First and foremost....

The lake DOES NOT BELONG TO THE FORTUNATE FEW WHO OWN WATERFRONT PROPERTY!!! No offense to any waterfront owning member here but your littoral rights to the lake stop at the high water mark and your dock.... there is ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT to peace and quiet when you abut a public park!!!

It is truly amazing to me how people do not see the big picture... every liberty you take away diminishes the whole lake!

We already have a push to make the law should not be mentioned permanent... despite the NHMP saying in an article today that there isnt enough data yet to make a determination!

We have a push in Gilford to shut down Ames Farm permanently using zoning regulations... arguably the best public access boat ramp on the lake!

The towns that do have boat launches either charge a fee or ar limited to town residents only.

We have a no rafting law already that limits the PUBLIC use of the best sandbars on the lake for anchoring and swimming... and now there is push to further restrict the publics RIGHT to use the lake!!

What message does this send to the tourists who come here to visit? How are these short sighted rules going to effect the regions economy? Eventually people will go to places where they are made to feel welcome...

We are already seeing the effects of this during Bike Week... the bikers have been made to feel unwelcome by a host of local ordinances, price gouging, and an overwhelming police presence especially in Laconia. As a result, bikers have been going elsewhere, other places have picked up the slack.... and thier tourist $$$!

The boaters will go elsewhere as well.... No way to easily launch your boat and park the truck & trailer, dont go over 45... you might get a ticket! No fun for your kids when you cant anchor anywhere shallow and go swimming.

It all adds up to big bunch of "why bother going to Winni.... its no fun" and that adds up to hospitality businesses closing, a decrease in property values and an increase in property taxes to make up for loss of revenue!

We are already seeing the effects of this.... sad!

Woodsy
BroadHopper (01-21-2010), chipj29 (01-21-2010), christo1 (01-24-2010), DEJ (01-21-2010), fatlazyless (01-23-2010), gtagrip (01-21-2010), hazelnut (01-24-2010), ishoot308 (01-21-2010), livefreeordie (01-25-2010), Rattlesnake Guy (01-24-2010), robmac (01-21-2010), watrskir (01-22-2010), whosnext8302 (01-21-2010), Wolfeboro_Baja (01-22-2010)
Old 01-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #87
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
I guess some of us are here to discuss the issues and have more of a tolerance for our fellow boater and neighbor.

It is an inconvenience... Did I say something??? Absolutely when I saw it occur. Other times I just find tangled line and hook in my cover. Unfortunately not all of us convey the same courtesies as we would to our fellow man. I realize being on the lake shore has its advantages and its disadvantages. Do I feel I need a law to penalize every fisherman? Absolutley not. For the one or two people who are ignorant shouldn't ruin it for everyone else. So I don't feel a new law should be placed on the entire group. Also because I am already protected by one "destruction of personal property".

I don't think you should be banned from the site. Your comments are entertaining and you are showing your true colors... People can make their own judgments.
I'll bet that if your parents knew that you were writing such nonsense they would spank your bottom.

You are very lucky to have parents that own lake front property and that you can use it whenever you want to.
I'll bet that if you had the responsibilities that go with owning that land you would have a different attitude.

Now that I know you use your parents property and probably live miles away from it, I'll leave you alone because I thought I was talking to a person who might have worked hard to own their own water front on Lake Winni.

You had me fooled!
The Following User Says Thank You to Yosemite Sam For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #88
DEJ

All I can say is WOW!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #89
OCDACTIVE

YS. Again I do not have to answer to you nor do you have a clue what you are talking about. I said Family.....

I have consistently tried to keep this on topic and you are consistently trying to make it personal. Time to take a step back and relax.

There's a bridge somewhere you can go sit under and ponder that.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #90
NoRegrets

Yo-Sam? Is your intent to shut down another thread?
I enjoy all the perspectives but please do not risk everyones enjoyment or addiction by goading in this mannor....

Do we need more laws or can common sense be used?
Old 01-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #91
Misty Blue

Default Rafting sprawl...

Before the Kona area (not the whole bay) in Braun Bay was a no rafting area there were a bunch of boats rafted together all packed in to the sand bar in Braun Bay.

Since the no rafting zone became law and the anchorage spacing was enforced we have the same number of boats (well almost) and now they are spread out of the sandbar area all over the top of the bay, even behind Glines island now.

They (the boaters) seem to want to keep out of the landowners way and still anchor in undeveloped areas when they can. I expect that they don't want to anchor in front of my house any more than I want them to do so.

I think that limiting access to Braun Bay sandbar will cause the boaters to spread out to other places where they will be even less popular.

I plan to be at the selectman's meeting next Thursday the 28th at 7 PM. You have to pre register if you want to speak prior to 4PM on Monday.

Be careful of what you ask for.

Misty Blue.

Last edited by Misty Blue; 01-21-2010 at 04:45 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-21-2010), Rattlesnake Guy (01-24-2010), Resident 2B (01-22-2010), Yosemite Sam (01-21-2010)
Old 01-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #92
Resident 2B

Quote:
I'll bet that if your parents knew that you were writing such nonsense they would spank your bottom.

You are very lucky to have parents that own lake front property and that you can use it whenever you want to.
I'll bet that if you had the responsibilities that go with owning that land you would have a different attitude.

Now that I know you use your parents property and probably live miles away from it, I'll leave you alone because I thought I was talking to a person who might have worked hard to own their own water front on Lake Winni.

You had me fooled!
Well, aren't you so special! You only talk to land owners that have worked hard to own water front on Lake Winni.

I thought this was a forum open to all who are interested in talking about the lake in a civil manner.

R2B (A person who worked hard to own water front on Lake Winni)
Old 01-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #93
gtagrip

Quote:
My family owned lakefront property since 1892. We see lots of issues in front of the property, but we expect it. After all, the lake is a public park.
If we banned boaters from the lake then I guess folks that live next to public parks can ban baseball because it hit their cars and building. Ban basketball because of the constant noise from dribbling. Ban kiddie rides because of the constant squelling of happy kids.

OMG! I just found the next agenda with these folks! God forbid!

I just don't like folks who move here in the past decade tell me what I can and can not do on this lake. I've been here since birth!
Or, like the people that by next to Logan airport and then want runways shut down because the jets are loud. Duh!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #94
Airwaves

Originally posted by Elchase
Quote:
Let the people who live on Braun Bay have some peace.
I was unaware that anyone LIVES ON Braun Bay.

I was always under the impression the waters are owned by everyone in the state for the enjoyment of ALL...

If we want to carry out El's logic to the extreme then Lake Winnipesaukee is owned privately by the waterfront property owners and no one else is allowed...that would include island residents unless they also own shorefront on the mainland.

Let us waterfront owners have some peace!!!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #95
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
Originally posted by Elchase

I was always under the impression the waters are owned by everyone in the state for the enjoyment of ALL...:
I also think this was El's position on that other law we cannot speak about. Can we say hypocrite!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #96
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtagrip View Post
Or, like the people that by next to Logan airport and then want runways shut down because the jets are loud. Duh!
And like the folks who recently move to Meredith and want the church to stop ringing the bells every hour. The church been doing this since the 1700's. Remember that El?

And the folks that moved into a development next to the Hudson Speedway and they wanted the speedway shut down because of the noise.

And the folks that banned the Pledge of Allegiance and prayers from schools.

This will never stop. We will no longer be the land of the free. We have lost our bravery.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #97
wifi

Quote:
And like the folks who recently move to Meredith and want the church to stop ringing the bells every hour.....
The same folks that were pressing for the fire house not to blow its horn on fires.

Actually, its a great notification for non firefighters, so they can gawk at that unmentionable thing come out of the 'barn'
Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #98
Breakwater

Default Rep. Patten-Look at the History and the current law!!

Lets look at the proposed law...

It is my recoomendation, as a user of the bay, that we support this bill!!! Why?

As written, this bill seems to allow for three rafts of three of three boats which is currently illegal! It does not speak to any of the current rafting practices in Braun Bay! If everyone else (other than the first three rafts of three) continues to limit their raft to 2 boats and maintains the proper spacing, Rep. Patten has simply allowed more boats in the "No Rafting Zone".

My question for Rep. Patten is:

1. Do our elected officials and adjacent property owners remember the Braun Bay of the 1980' and early 90's?? It has come a long way. Maybe they should do their homework!

2.Which law do we obey? RSA 270:44 or the proposed 270:133

"RSA 270:44-Size of Rafts; Separation of Rafts and Single Boats. – Except as otherwise provided in this subdivision, no person shall, in a prohibited location or at a prohibited time:
I. Form or allow the boat which he is operating or in charge of to be a member of a raft consisting of 3 or more boats;" (allows a max of 2 boats)

Does she now intend to allow rafts of 3 boats?

3. Do you remember when Braun Bay was regulated like every other zone in the State where rafting had to be 150' from shore? After several hearings conducted by the Dept. of Safety at Moultonborough Academy, the administrative rule for Braun Bay was changed to allow anchoring w/in 75' of shore. The reasoning for this was the fact that the prime anchoring area abutted State property. This was viewed as a compromise between the competing uses of our public waters. A compromise that RSA 270:1, II and III declares.

270:1 Declaration of Policy. –

II. In the interest of maintaining the residential, recreational and scenic values which New Hampshire public waters provide to residents of the state and to the promotion of our tourist industry, and in light of the fact that competing uses for the enjoyment of these waters, if not regulated for the benefit of all users, may diminish the value to be derived from them, it is hereby declared that the public waters of New Hampshire shall be maintained and regulated in such way as to provide for the safe and mutual enjoyment of a variety of uses, both from the shore and from water-borne conveyances. Such provisions shall take into consideration the following: the variety of special uses appropriate to our lakes, public safety, protection of environment and water quality, and the continued nurture of New Hampshire's threatened and endangered species.
III. It is the intent of the legislature to recognize in RSA 270:42-46 that the cumulative effect of boats congregated as ""rafts'' differs from that of the same number of boats scattered and, therefore, requires specific appropriate regulation.

Let's pass this legislation and prove a point!

Sorry for the long post-
Old 01-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #99
lawn psycho

Breakwater, thanks for the Declaration of policy. That is great info.

And you are correct that this bill is a reversal of the current Braun Bay policy. Someone raised this issue previously as well.

However, simply letting this thing pass would embolden other waterfront owners to think that they can draft a bill on a post-it note to their local rep and push these things thorugh. I beleive what is important is for people to write the committee and their local reps so they understand that rafting is not some evil thug activity by boaters.

Look at the vitriole from a poster above regarding "trash" in the sandbar. It's far from reality but you will get a non-boater committee member to get an image in their head.

We need to educate the committee so that when this or other similar bills get proffered, legislators understand the over amplification of issues from shorefront owners. Feed the committee a steady dose of the facts and it puts large holes in the sails of the shorefront owners argument.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #100
VtSteve

Default Interesting reads

Most that support this new Bill don't seem to know much about it, but the do like new bills

It seems that many of the people supporting new laws limiting access or activities on the lake are not only angry, but have some very prejudiced views towards a variety of groups.

I wonder how many people read this post, and thought "Hmmmmmm...."

"The sand bar sits in front of undeveloped land. This area is NOT on someones "front lawn" as some have claimed. Only on the busiest boating days of the year does the anchorage spread beyond this "non-developed area" where there are NO houses.
Carry on"

It would seem that once again, facts defy rumor.
Closed Thread