Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Rescued Kayaker’s Sunday 6/2.

Rescued Kayaker’s Sunday !

Just want give a BIG THANKS, to the boater who rescued some family members last Sunday near the Witches off Timber Island.
Three members of the family set out in 2 kayaks and 1 SUP from Silver Sands area of Saunders Bay. Yeah…. I said a SUP (Stand Up Paddleboard).
All were wearing PFD’s.

The plan was to stay in the bay, but just offshore, they said they were sweep out by a current, and couldn’t navigate back to shore. A current in Saunder’s Bay ? Sorry I have to throw down the B.S. flag on that one ! I was thinking next, they'd tell me,
that they were carried out by the tide !

By the time they knew it, they were directly in the middle of the boating lane past Lockes Island. They keep drifting and ended up near the Witches off Timber Island, when one kayaker was tossed out of the kayak, and into the water from the waves. The SUP person was sitting and straddling the board.

Waving their paddles in the air, they were able to flag down a nearby boater in what I believe was about a 18-22’ Crowneline (closed bow). The boat captain, picked everyone out of the water, including placing 1 kayak and SUP into his boat. The other kayak was tied off the stern and towed. Along the tow, the MP stopped to check things out, and make sure everyone was OK. Not sure if MP were called by the boater, or just happened to be going by at the time,
but sure glad they were on the scene too !

The captain of the Crowneline, delivered everyone back to shore at Sauders Bay safe and sound TG ! After things and emotions settles down, I gave the family members a long lecture about the hazards of boating and water safety ! This could have had a very tragic and different ending, for all three family members. I think they realize this now... Needles to say, they won’t be doing any kayaking or SUP for a while……

If the owner of that Crowneline is a member of the Winnie Forum, can you please PM me, so I can thank you again personally. If anyone knows a Forum member who may own a Crowneline as described, please shoot me a PM so I can try to reach that person.

Be safe out there on the water !

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigdog For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-06-2013), CateP (06-10-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
pcmc

Glad to hear the out come was OK, bravo the boat operator.

Could the kayakers have incorrectly explained a wind pushing them as a current? Viewing the waves rolling in that direction may have felt like they were in a current. Only a guess.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

The wind Sunday was almost calm at 11am but then quickly ramped up to 10 to 15 mph direction quite variable. See the charts lower on this page:
http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...ay=2&year=2013

It it always a good idea to check the wind forecast prior to hitting open water in a paddle craft.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
jrc

Glad to see everyone made it back safely.

I kayak that area a lot, pretty much every weekend. I've never detected a current but the wind can do strange things. The winds were moving pretty good on Sunday.

They did two very good things, wore PFD's and traveled in a group. You may want to make sure they have a phone in a waterproof bag, next time. If they get into trouble, paddle to any shore and call for help.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
bigdog (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
bigdog

Default Rescued Kayaker’s Sunday 6/2.

Thanks to all for their feedback, much appreciated !

Good advice to take a cell phone in a plastic water-proof bag, in case of emergencies like this one. Will suggest this... no 'will require this', next time the tribe decides to go on their next kayak trip.

I carry my cell phone with me on the boat at all times, and especially when I'm on the jet ski. Personally, I had to make a cell call to Tow Boat U.S. last summer, when I have a engine issue on the water, it was a life saver.

Thanks,
Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
KayakinKid

Glad to hear that everyone made it back safely. I'm sure that it was a lesson well learned, and not soon forgotten.

As jrc suggested, it's always good to have a phone in a waterproof bag. Myself, I carry a phone, a whistle, a Storm Master horn, an air horn, and a strobe light. Both paddle blades also have SOLAS tape on them. If I need to get someone's attention, I'm going to get it, one way or another.

Batteries die, cell service doesn't exist everywhere, and sometimes the phone itself ends up going for a swim. Better to have several means of signaling/communication handy.
KayakinKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Thanks to all for their feedback, much appreciated !

Glad everyone is safe!

Good advice to take a cell phone in a plastic water-proof bag, in case of emergencies like this one. Will suggest this... no 'will require this', next time the tribe decides to go on their next kayak trip.

I carry my cell phone with me on the boat at all times, and especially when I'm on the jet ski. Personally, I had to make a cell call to Tow Boat U.S. last summer, when I have a engine issue on the water, it was a life saver.

Thanks,
Bigdog
Great advice on the phone.. take it one step more and add the MP to your "favorites list" on your phone. make it EASY in an emergency, yours or something you witness, to get help fast. Nobody in my family uses my boat without showing me that they have a phone with them and this number is programed in. Drill it in as being as important as life jackets, a throwable cushion (with line) and a chart.

Their number is: 603-293-0091
Aguamenti (06-09-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
CateP

I had another number on my phone and just called Marine Patrol to check to see if it was the correct number. They told me it was the correct number to call for emergencies on Lake Winnipesaukee.

(603) 293-2037
Ext. 0 (dispatch)
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
SteveA (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
I had another number on my phone and just called Marine Patrol to check to see if it was the correct number. They told me it was the correct number to call for emergencies on Lake Winnipesaukee.

(603) 293-2037
Ext. 0 (dispatch)

This is the number I have in my phone. It's for the "Base" in Gilford. Some have said it's better to call 911 so 911 can get your Location via the GPS in your phone. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote