Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #1
DEJ

Default Something to think about.

Instead of all the political nonsense about corona, here is a message I read on another site.

Find a loved one or a buddy to hang with, go fish, crack open a beer, watch something funny.

If you’re reading this you’re still doing well.

Enjoy the weekend and reset your mind.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
Doobs41378 (03-21-2020), mhtranger (03-13-2020), Paugus Bay Resident (03-13-2020), pjard (03-15-2020), Top-Water (03-13-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
MeredithMan

Default From the bunker...

Random thoughts while bored in the bunker:

--Has anyone noticed that the Anti-Vaxers have gone quiet over the last few weeks?

--I wonder if we will see a big spike in births 9-10 months from now...??

--Has anyone heard of the Quarantini? All you need is a martini glass, vodka, and a packet of Emergen-C

--Maybe we should adopt the Japanese practice of bowing to greet one another?

--When will someone, (Surgeon General? Head of a major hospital?), be the "adult in the room" and make a factual statement, (at least as we know the facts today), as to what one can expect if they get this bug? Where is it on the risk spectrum, with one end being a bad cold or the flu, and the other end being The Plague or Ebola? That might help to calm the craziness

--Since everyone is so worried about Tom Hanks, why doesn't he do a PSA to say, "hey, here's what you can expect to feel like if you get this?" Again, helping to calm the hysteria

Stay tune for more random thoughts from the bunker...
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (03-15-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 02:41 PM   #3
nj2nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
Instead of all the political nonsense about corona, here is a message I read on another site.

Find a loved one or a buddy to hang with, go fish, crack open a beer, watch something funny.

If you’re reading this you’re still doing well.

Enjoy the weekend and reset your mind.
Political nonsense? I agree that what is coming out of Washington is nonsense, but this virus is not. I am in northern NJ. Our schools and movie theaters are closed. There is hardly anything available in the market. No one is going anywhere with other people. No one is letting anyone in their homes. Why? Because Italy. because Spain. because New Rochelle, NY. Because Washington and Oregon and California.

Those of you lucky enough to be in NH would be wise to follow the example of those of us in epicenters before NH falls victim to the fear that is very real in many places.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 03-14-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default ???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mo...n_Maple_Street
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:54 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Default 1918 flu epidemic in Manchester, NH

"The epidemic of death: 1918 Spanish Flu in Manchester" ..... a reprint of a January 2008 article by John Clayton is in the March 14, 2020 Union Leader which does not require a subscription to see it.

..... is definitely worth reading!

"A special telephone hot line - dial 312 - was set aside for news reports of influenza, and the Board of Health remained open 24 hours per day." ..... this is back in 1918.

Understand the 1918 flu epidemic caused sickness and death in Laconia, too. It seemed to target younger people, age 20-30 and younger, where their lungs would fill up with phlegm, effecting coughing and difficulty with breathing.

Between October, 1918 through January, 1919, a four month period; Manchester NH suffered the loss of 527-people dead from the flu ..... from this report.
gravy boat (03-15-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2020, 08:08 AM   #6
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
When will someone, (Surgeon General? Head of a major hospital?), be the "adult in the room" and make a factual statement, (at least as we know the facts today), as to what one can expect if they get this bug? Where is it on the risk spectrum, with one end being a bad cold or the flu, and the other end being The Plague or Ebola? That might help to calm the craziness.

There is someone...Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:58 AM   #7
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Monsters!

Great clip Top-Water!!!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
Flylady

Default Lack of honest communications=Fear

Sadly we are most likely here because of our President's decision to deny the risks early on. I know from a family member living in VT, that they became ill after a business trip to China in early January. Because of their knowledge of the issues in China they informed their doctor of the possibility of Corona. CDC was brought in and performed a test, which failed as the test kits used at that time were faulty. They interviewed other people exposed and had them stay home for 2 weeks.. Thankfully the family member has fully recovered and no other member of the family contracted it, however CDC at the time quietly contained this information as the higher ups insisted it was not a problem.
My point is use common sense and listen to the medical professionals that are now freely speaking out.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flylady For This Useful Post:
geordie (03-15-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 11:13 PM   #9
geordie

Political nonsense? You are referring to what the administration is saying? A lot of people may die because this wasn't stopped hard.

I don't have the figures for every day in Italy, but the growth rate is around 15% per day across all countries taking no effective measures. Death rate is 3.4% worldwide, 7.3% in Italy with 8% more critical at this time.

What does 15% mean? 100 times in 33 days, 10,000 times in 66 days. For the US it means 3,000,000 infected and 100,000 to 220,000 dead by June. The US medical system doesn't even provide medical care for all. I don't mean free, I mean any. So how will it cope with 400,000 critical cases needing breathing support.

A colleague of a friend was in work last Tuesday with a sore throat, she went home on time and called in sick the next day. Worked from home. Found dead on Thursday morning. This thing goes fast if you are old. Kids aren't affected.

Germany thinks 70% of people will get it. That would be 210,000,000 in the US with, at best, 7 million dead.

Belknap county has a population around 61,000. 7.3% of 70% of 61,000 will die if they don't stop this disease. Imagine 3,100 funerals in Belknap county this year. But at least Trump has announced he's cutting medicaid and social security, so the remaining rich folks will be better off.
geordie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to geordie For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 06:04 AM   #10
winterh

We are "not here" because of any decisions by the administration. We are here because there is a rampant virus that is incredibly hard to stop and originated in a country that does not value human life and hid and lied about what was going on. A country that has bought and sold members of both parties for years now. One which this administration has finally confronted in many ways.
I am sure they could have done some things better as no one would handle this perfectly but do you really think the country would be better off with either of the 2 on display last night. The communist or the dementia patient, neither of whom who have ever held a real job in their life.
This is one of those rare times in life when everyone should just stop complaining and do what you can to help. A few months from now when its over you can rip into Trump all you want.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to winterh For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-16-2020), Crusty (03-16-2020), jbolty (03-16-2020), MRD (03-16-2020), Orion (03-16-2020), Seaplane Pilot (03-16-2020), tis (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 12:18 PM   #11
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
We are "not here" because of any decisions by the administration. We are here because there is a rampant virus that is incredibly hard to stop and originated in a country that does not value human life and hid and lied about what was going on. A country that has bought and sold members of both parties for years now. One which this administration has finally confronted in many ways.
I am sure they could have done some things better as no one would handle this perfectly but do you really think the country would be better off with either of the 2 on display last night. The communist or the dementia patient, neither of whom who have ever held a real job in their life.
This is one of those rare times in life when everyone should just stop complaining and do what you can to help. A few months from now when its over you can rip into Trump all you want.
A lot of your opinion could be discussed by reasonable people. But the suggestion that this WILL be over in a few months is not supportable by scientific opinion.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:12 PM   #12
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
Sadly we are most likely here because of our President's decision to deny the risks early on. I know from a family member living in VT, that they became ill after a business trip to China in early January. Because of their knowledge of the issues in China they informed their doctor of the possibility of Corona. CDC was brought in and performed a test, which failed as the test kits used at that time were faulty. They interviewed other people exposed and had them stay home for 2 weeks.. Thankfully the family member has fully recovered and no other member of the family contracted it, however CDC at the time quietly contained this information as the higher ups insisted it was not a problem.
My point is use common sense and listen to the medical professionals that are now freely speaking out.
Sadly 22 milion people were infected with the swine flu during Obamas term...4,000 died and nothing was closed.No schools,restaurants or churches
The media praised him
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (03-16-2020), joey2665 (03-16-2020), Seaplane Pilot (03-16-2020), TiltonBB (03-17-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 07:26 PM   #13
Wifi-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Sadly 22 milion people were infected with the swine flu during Obamas term...4,000 died and nothing was closed.No schools,restaurants or churches
The media praised him
That is because the MSM back the supported, ummm... "them". If the Lakes Region can remain a clean spot, it would be a real draw, if only it would happen.
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:50 PM   #14
TheRoBoat

Default 22M and 4K deaths

is a mortality rate of .02

If Swine Flu had same mortality rate as Covid it would have been over a million deaths.

There's a little bit of a difference here
TheRoBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheRoBoat For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (03-18-2020), Flylady (03-18-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #15
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
The media praised him
This virus is in the beginning stages. Let's all pray that it doesn't get to 4000 deaths. So let's put the praises on hold.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #16
AB_Monterey

Quote:
The media praised him
School most certainly were closed for periods during H1N1.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:27 PM   #17
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Monterey View Post
School most certainly were closed for periods during H1N1.
Not in New Hampshire or New York.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #18
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post

No in MA, or at least not where i am
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:33 PM   #19
AB_Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post

:Timing and extent of school closings
School closures during the pandemic's first wave occurred in several rough phases. Initially, schools were closed on a somewhat ad hoc basis. After CDC issued preliminary guidance on April 26, schools with 2009 H1N1 cases generally closed for at least seven days. On May 1, CDC changed its guidance to suggest 14 days of closure, and most schools with cases closed with the intent to remain shuttered for 14 days. However, CDC guidance changed again on May 5 to say that closure was generally not necessary. After May 5, most schools did not close after a case was identified, with the notable exception of the New York City school system, which continued closing schools to protect particularly vulnerable children into June. A timeline of major school closure events is provided in Table ​Table11."

June 2, 2009 - New York City closes its final school in response to 2009 H1N1. New York continued school closures well after CDC ceased recommending closure, with the justification that closure would protect particularly vulnerable students from within-school transmission
Old 03-16-2020, 08:35 PM   #20
AB_Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
No in MA, or at least not where i am

There were schools closed in MA as well.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:42 PM   #21
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Monterey View Post
There were schools closed in MA as well.
I'm sure there were, but not near me. During H1N1 decisions, for better or worse, were made at the local level not the state or federal level. At least that's how it seemed to me at the time (and yes, I have worked in schools for almost 30 years).
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:46 PM   #22
AB_Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
I'm sure there were, but not near me. During H1N1 decisions, for better or worse, were made at the local level not the state or federal level. At least that's how it seemed to me at the time (and yes, I have worked in schools for almost 30 years).
They need to flatten the curve. The best way to do that would be mass testing as they did in S. Korea and which seems to be having that result. They had their first case on the same day as the US. The feds screwed that up by not having test kits available here while refusing the kits from the WHO so this is what we're left with as an option. Things will get worse. Much worse. I've been told to be prepared to WFH for the remainder of the year so when Trump says it could extend past August, you should take that seriously.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #23
Lakegeezer

Default Antibody test

I'm waiting for an antibody test to become widely available. It would prove that you've had CV-19 and fought it off. Some people are apparently fighting off this virus with only mild effects. It would be nice, and only right, if they could get on with their lives while the rest of us wait for it to pass. Some of these survivors could take over jobs that put people at risk, like in healthcare and grocery stores.

Update: There is at least one antibody test supply https://www.biomedomics.com/products...e/covid-19-rt/

Last edited by Lakegeezer; 03-17-2020 at 11:27 AM. Reason: update
Lakegeezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:48 AM   #24
Mr. V

Quote:
Some of these survivors could take over jobs that put people at risk, like in healthcare and grocery stores.
Has it been established with certainly that people who have had the coronavirus are immune from getting it again?
Old 03-17-2020, 11:54 AM   #25
The Real BigGuy

Does getting it once and surviving preclude getting it again?

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:02 PM   #26
Wifi-1

Default Some hope

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ronavirus.html

............A team of infectious disease experts at the University of Queensland in Brisbane say they have seen two existing medications manage to wipe out COVID-19 infections..............................
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #27
Andromeda321

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
No one knows; at this point it's a lot wishful thinking. The problem there is there is a high chance this virus will mutate a la how we need a new flu vaccine every year, so getting it once may only help for so long (though hopefully that doesn't happen before a vaccine is created). Remember, some strains of the annual flu are still mutations from the 1918 Spanish flu...
Andromeda321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #28
garysanfran

Default San Francisco Ghost Town...

No traffic. No noise...Gotta go get food!
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:45 PM   #29
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post

The answer to that is probably no. There have already been Chinese reports of individuals having -19 twice. If u believe China.

The one unarguable fact is there are still a lot of important things we do not know. Even the things we “know,” we can’t be sure of. Almost anything should probably be qualified by “based on what we believe today.”

Things such as how long before symptoms are u contagious, how long does virus live on hard surfaces....The answers change frequently as more information is gathered.

And then there is the stuff put out there that is just nonsense.

The best you can do is consider the source of the info you hear or read.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:31 AM   #30
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post

--I wonder if we will see a big spike in births 9-10 months from now...??
Yes Yes we will, and everyone will question why!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #31
Andromeda321

See, I was more cynical and assumed the divorce rate will be the thing to skyrocket...
Andromeda321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:46 PM   #32
winterh

I own service businesses in several states. We are closed or severely limited in our operations. Under normal circumstances we would not make it (few would) if this dragged on for months. These are not normal circumstances. Our bank and the various landlords, some of whom are major players, have been very accommodating so far. Its one of those things where everyone is screwed right down the line so its in everyones interest to work together to get through this. Hopefully that kind of cooperation continues and we see more of it. Good luck to all.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote