Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-05-2023, 10:06 AM   #1
Garcia

Default Shep Browns/Goodhue parking, and more

I'm curious if anyone has been following the issues regarding the rebuilding of the public docks at Sheps/Goodhue, boundary line adjustment, expansion, and parking both there and at Cattle landing. I get emails from both mernia and mia but am wondering what, if any, insights and thoughts others might have, particularly from people who are following the issue closely and/or know and follow Meredith boards and politics.

Any thought are welcome and encouraged.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:37 AM   #2
garysanfran

Meeting being held today. Not much has changed, apparently.

In the LDS...

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...7bc2b066e.html
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:43 AM   #3
John Mercier

I watch the discussion on public television.
It doesn't seem like they have come to a firm conclusion.

So far, it sounds like Goodhue is willing to forgo some of their property in exchange for an OK on their plans.

But if neither budges... it may be back to the drawing board... as some speakers have suggested a different layout.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:57 AM   #4
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Meeting being held today. Not much has changed, apparently.

In the LDS...

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...7bc2b066e.html
The Sheps issues on the agenda have been postponed
Old 06-06-2023, 07:00 AM   #5
uschisk

Default Parking at Sheps

The parking lot there is an ongoing issue - with 40+ rentals going out on some days, plus slip holders, valet; and then those using the boat ramp and public docks - it fills up. The last plan I saw seemed to have fewer parking spots - does anyone know if both Sheps and the public docks are expanding - are there more parking spots?
uschisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2023, 07:43 AM   #6
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by uschisk View Post
The parking lot there is an ongoing issue - with 40+ rentals going out on some days, plus slip holders, valet; and then those using the boat ramp and public docks - it fills up. The last plan I saw seemed to have fewer parking spots - does anyone know if both Sheps and the public docks are expanding - are there more parking spots?
The proposal I have seen increases the total parking. The challenge is Goodhue is looking to expand/reconfigure their operation which is embraced by some, opposed by others. Adding/reconfiguring parking is tied to the expansion plans, which currently seem to be on a holding pattern as opposing viewpoints are being heard and debated.

The town is also looking at adopting some type of permit/resident parking spaces and passes for some of the parking at Sheps and Cattle Landing, but again, details are far from worked out and settled upon as different constituent groups have strong, often opposing, ideas.

Something will most likely happen, but time will tell what it is.

I appreciate any insights people have as I rely on Sheps to access island property.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:43 AM   #7
MikeF-NH

Sheps has consistently been my favorite launch over the years. I didn't mind paying for it up to a few years ago but once it became free....parking instantly became an issue (coincidence that this was around the time it switched from Sheps to Goodhue???).

There is more ramp etiquette issues seen now than before but thats probably inline with increased use. There is "open land" near the public trailer parking but I think its private and for sale.

That is a town dock so they (the town) have every right to make it a town sticker only parking location like the Gilford Town docks but I hope they don't do that.

I hope this all works about for non-town residents but think this is the beginning of yet less public ramp access on the lake. If the trend continues we will be down to Lees Mills (nobody wants to drive all the way up there then have a long an hazard filled boat ride back to the main lake) or Downings Landing which fills very early. OR you can pay $45 at a selection of private ramps on top of fuel it takes to get up there. If the trend continues...you will have to either be a lake front property/marina slip owner or one of the first few dozen boats at public launches to be able to enjoy the lake. Kind of like........Squam.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:08 PM   #8
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
Sheps has consistently been my favorite launch over the years. I didn't mind paying for it up to a few years ago but once it became free....parking instantly became an issue (coincidence that this was around the time it switched from Sheps to Goodhue???).

There is more ramp etiquette issues seen now than before but thats probably inline with increased use. There is "open land" near the public trailer parking but I think its private and for sale.

That is a town dock so they (the town) have every right to make it a town sticker only parking location like the Gilford Town docks but I hope they don't do that.

I hope this all works about for non-town residents but think this is the beginning of yet less public ramp access on the lake. If the trend continues we will be down to Lees Mills (nobody wants to drive all the way up there then have a long an hazard filled boat ride back to the main lake) or Downings Landing which fills very early. OR you can pay $45 at a selection of private ramps on top of fuel it takes to get up there. If the trend continues...you will have to either be a lake front property/marina slip owner or one of the first few dozen boats at public launches to be able to enjoy the lake. Kind of like........Squam.
My understanding is that years ago federal funds were used for the public lot which means that the town cannot restrict or make that part of the lot sticker parking only; public access should continue, albeit with growing numbers each year.

I agree that on a busy day (and even some not so busy days) the whole lot - parking, getting in and out, the forklift, and the public ramp, can become a cluster**** with all common sense and etiquette thrown out the window.
Old 07-08-2023, 06:25 AM   #9
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Meredith Pauses

Meredith paused the boundary line adjustment. Goodhue (Shep's) will go forward to the Planning Board with their issues.

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ote=1&p=384211
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 06:52 AM   #10
garysanfran

Default From LDS...

They're also having a party today at 4pm.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...08a772940.html
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote