Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #1
GTO

Default EFI Moving?

Heard a rumor a few weeks ago that EFI on 104 in Meredith is moving to Londonderry. Lack of good help in the area is the reason I heard. This was confirmed by a really good source of mine that works for UPS in the Londonderry area, even told me the building they will be moving in too. Seems like a big employer for this area, too bad
Old 10-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
depasseg

Yep
http://www.laconiadailysun.com/newsx...or-londonderry
http://ir.efi.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=986900
depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Default ..... bye bye EFI! ~ ~ ~

Would really like to see the Town of Meredith purchase the former Rt 104-EFI property, and convert it to a 15-million dollar, indoor tennis-ice arena-swim pool, all heated and climate controlled, and open all year 'round. That works out to 5-mil for tennis, 5-mil for ice arena, and 5-mil for swim pool ...... 5 + 5 + 5 = $15-mil ....... just do it! You don't need to be an electrical engineer to figure that out.

Isn't that what Sarah Palin did when she was the mayor of Wasilla, Alaska in about 2005, before she ran for governor. For about $10-mil, she got the town to build an indoor ice arena and swim pool. If it was good for Alaska, then it should be good for Meredith, New Hampshire.

http://www.cityofwasilla.com/departm...-sports-center

Or, if an athletic center is a no-go, then what about converting the former EFI property into the new Meredith Public Library?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-04-2016 at 12:38 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #4
longislander

Quote:
Would really like to see the Town of Meredith purchase the former Rt 104-EFI property, and convert it to a 15-million dollar, indoor tennis-ice arena-swim pool, all heated and climate controlled, and open all year 'round.

What ... no pickleball?

Should move on it quickly!

Moultonborough might try to annex the property.
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to longislander For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (10-05-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 08:17 PM   #5
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...Lack of good help in the area is the reason I heard....
I have an excellent inside source, the management claims that there are no good engineers in the lakes region and that moving closer to Boston will solve this. Lots of problems with this statement, the founders of the company were from here, the new owners aren't willing to pay what it takes to get good people, added to the fact they think they can get the churn from other companies near Boston then have instant success. Currently they hire engineer students right out of college with no experience thinking they can reinvent the wheel, whereas the seasoned engineers have either moved on to higher paying companies or have been put to pasture. I'm sure there are people on this forum that can see where this leads, this is reality at EFI Meredith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...This was confirmed by a really good source of mine that works for UPS in the Londonderry area, even told me the building they will be moving in too....
Well, there are artist conceptions as what the new building will look like, except it hasn't been built yet. There are a lot of birds in the bush, too bad, because this company used to be a world leader. It was the first to build inkjet wide format (think billboard) printers, all built here in Meredith. Currently the plans are to move manufacturing off shore to China and Spain to maximize profit, Manchester will be primarily a demo center and a dream of engineers supporting overseas manufacturing. RIP.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2016, 11:10 PM   #6
fatlazyless

Not one word of any mention about moving EFI manufactoring to China or Spain in above links ...... not one word?
Old 10-05-2016, 02:56 AM   #7
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Not one word of any mention about moving EFI manufactoring to China or Spain in above links ...... not one word?
Another reason you don't believe everything you read on the internet. My wife works there, so I might have a little more insight than most.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:24 AM   #8
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
I have an excellent inside source, the management claims that there are no good engineers in the the lakes region P.
As an engineer in the lakes region who's bounced around the country i'd actually agree with you.. The talent I've seen in other places not only for engineers but for general manufacturing folks I would say your correct. I have a very hard time finding good quality people who want to put in a honest days work
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:34 AM   #9
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts
Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
As an engineer in the lakes region who's bounced around the country i'd actually agree with you.. The talent I've seen in other places not only for engineers but for general manufacturing folks I would say your correct. I have a very hard time finding good quality people who want to put in a honest days work
I went to college with EFI's VP of Engineering, and the reports are true. My suspicion is that EFI will still have difficulty attracting talent in Londonderry. Kids coming out of college are attracted to the urban areas. I work in Kendall Square, and the growth is mind blowing. The reason for the growth is to attract talent.
Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:50 AM   #10
Newbiesaukee

I am trying to follow the thread to learn something but it seems confusing. Wifi seems to be saying that the company's contention that they can't find good engineers in the Lakes Region is only because it is not willing to pay for more experienced engineers, not the lack of them. The comments which followed are suggesting that there are not any good engineers in the area because of lack of work ethic, etc.,etc.

The commenters can't agree with Wifi if they are saying opposite things. Please clarify. I really don't know anything about it, so have no position. I just am a bit confused.

Thanks.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Natt (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 07:51 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Skilled Labor

Has been a problem for decades in NH. The local and state government have not been much help, so the industries step up to the plate to attract talents and to train the locals for the skills they need.

Walter Havenstein under Lockheed Martin built the Engineering building at UNH to provide classrooms for engineering students. Sanders/Lockheed Martin/BAE Systems sent many engineers to school for development. maintaining capapbilities.

Dean Kamen, from Manchester, a leader in STEM, spent millions along with Walter Havenstein in US ROBOTICS, to entice grade school to engineering.

Local govt needs to step up to the plate. I can imagine what it would be like today if Havenstein was elected. Where is Maggie?
Old 10-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #12
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I am trying to follow the thread to learn something but it seems confusing. Wifi seems to be saying that the company's contention that they can't find good engineers in the Lakes Region is only because it is not willing to pay for more experienced engineers, not the lack of them. The comments which followed are suggesting that there are not any good engineers in the area because of lack of work ethic, etc.,etc.

The commenters can't agree with Wifi if they are saying opposite things. Please clarify. I really don't know anything about it, so have no position. I just am a bit confused.

Thanks.
I lived in Mass, Cali, Texas and now NH. I made the least amount of money salary wise here in the lakes region. I also think the caliber of engineers I work with is below what I've seen in other regions.(not that there isn't great engineers here) Would they find better engineers if they moved south and offered higher wages, I personally think so. Half the people I work with or worked with are seeking employment in southern NH/northern MA.

I live with the pay cut to be in the lakes region and boat as much as I can. My happiness offsets that extra money.

I have nothing to offer about EFI. Just my thoughts on this region and engineers
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 09:21 AM   #13
noreast

Manchester is attracting young professionals down at the mills, But there is no affordable housing. They do work for less then the older crowed but they don't have family's so aren't really looking for single family residence. Every tax payer is terrified at the term " affordable housing" Which could also be "small upscale". Those in charge of zoning don't have the creativity to face the issue. The older crowd say's not in my town, As usual, we cut off our nose to spite our face. Builders want to put up Mcmansions, and the town wants max taxes off new development, So we can continue to be a service sector and tourism economy Instead of high tech leading the way.

Last edited by noreast; 10-05-2016 at 01:23 PM.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #14
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Manchester is attracting young professionals down at the mills, But there is no affordable housing. They do work for less then the older crowed but they don't have family's so aren't really looking for single family residence. Every tax payer is terrified at the term " affordable housing" Which could also be "small upscale". Those in charge of zoning don't have the creativity to face the issue. The older crowed say's not in my town, As usual, we cut off our nose to spite our face. Builders want to put up Mcmansions, and the town wants max taxes off new development, So we can continue to be a service sector and tourism economy Instead of high tech leading the way.
I have to agree with this. Shortage of affordable housing is prevalent in NH. Many young professionals can not afford the McMansion or homes with three or more bedrooms. With the baby boomers downsizing the only housing available is more than what they want to pay. Ever notice large homes are not moving and smaller homes are in demand? That is why the market is stagnated. It is not the economy as realtors want you to believe. It's the changing demographics.
Winnisquamer (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #15
Acrossamerica

Economics 101 Gentlemen and Ladies. 101 - When the company first arrived they had a pretty good lead on the technology that they used to build their products and could charge what they wished and they made a decent profit. Enter competition (Economics 101) from all over the world and these folks using the same technology can offer the product for less money and in this world money is king and lower price is even better. So what can the company do but look to overseas production unless of course all you who think the company should remain here nd pay more are willing to buy their products at a premium price.

As to moving to southern NH. They still want the NH advantage but hope being much closer to civilization as viewed by those under the age of 50 they will attract the skills they need. Again Economics 101. A highly recommended course if you wish to function in the real world of business. Not needed if you are a liberal government type.
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acrossamerica For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamer (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 06:58 PM   #16
JADAQ

As a recent former employee of EFI, one of their main reasons is to move closer to the airport for ease of current and future customers coming to the facility for sales and training, not lack of good help in the lakes region. I take offense to that comment as to make it seem there isn't any good skilled labor in these here back woods of New Hampshire. There's plenty of good help! EFI does also make it very clear to ALL employees that there will be no pay increases for those who make the hour + commute to Londonderry. Chew on that for a bit. Nice kick in the teeth for what good help that have left...
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:30 PM   #17
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrossamerica View Post
Economics 101 Gentlemen and Ladies. 101 - When the company first arrived they had a pretty good lead on the technology that they used to build their products and could charge what they wished and they made a decent profit. Enter competition (Economics 101) from all over the world and these folks using the same technology can offer the product for less money and in this world money is king and lower price is even better. So what can the company do but look to overseas production unless of course all you who think the company should remain here nd pay more are willing to buy their products at a premium price.

As to moving to southern NH. They still want the NH advantage but hope being much closer to civilization as viewed by those under the age of 50 they will attract the skills they need. Again Economics 101. A highly recommended course if you wish to function in the real world of business. Not needed if you are a liberal government type.
Economics 101 says you innovate and let the Chinese play catch up. Once we stop innovating they catch up quick by "copying"
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-06-2016)
Old 02-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #18
fatlazyless

Goodbye Meredith......hello to China.....or maybe just to Londonderry, NH?

Say-hey...with the new political push to keep american jobs here in the U.S. ... who knows but maybe EFI-Vutek could stay here in Meredith, NH .... which would be good for Meredith!
Old 02-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #19
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Would really like to see the Town of Meredith purchase the former Rt 104-EFI property, and convert it to a 15-million dollar, indoor tennis-ice arena-swim pool, all heated and climate controlled, and open all year 'round. That works out to 5-mil for tennis, 5-mil for ice arena, and 5-mil for swim pool ...... 5 + 5 + 5 = $15-mil ....... just do it! You don't need to be an electrical engineer to figure that out.

Isn't that what Sarah Palin did when she was the mayor of Wasilla, Alaska in about 2005, before she ran for governor. For about $10-mil, she got the town to build an indoor ice arena and swim pool. If it was good for Alaska, then it should be good for Meredith, New Hampshire.

http://www.cityofwasilla.com/departm...-sports-center

Or, if an athletic center is a no-go, then what about converting the former EFI property into the new Meredith Public Library?
Sure, if you don't mind having your taxes go up. Right now Meredith's taxes are reasonable. We don't need the town buying up property to run a business that will have trouble breaking even. While I'd love to see something like that in the area I don't trust the town to run a business like that. Leave that to independent investors.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:26 AM   #20
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Goodbye Meredith......hello to China.....or maybe just to Londonderry, NH?

Say-hey...with the new political push to keep american jobs here in the U.S. ... who knows but maybe EFI-Vutek could stay here in Meredith, NH .... which would be good for Meredith!
Get Donald Trump on the phone
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:26 AM   #21
BroadHopper

Not an easy answer to NH labor force.

http://www.nhbr.com/February-17-2017...es-investment/
Old 02-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #22
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Not an easy answer to NH labor force.

http://www.nhbr.com/February-17-2017...es-investment/
The good news is that the percentage of kids moving on to get a formal education is quite high - I'm sure there are plenty of states that wish they had the same.

The reality is there is still little high tech industry/"high skilled" opportunities in the state comparatively speaking. So where are these folks to work and live after making such a significant investment in education? Obviously they are educated enough to know where the jobs are. For some it's commuting to places where those jobs are and remain in NH, but anyone who commutes into say MA for work knows all to well that gets old real fast.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Micker (02-22-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 04:48 PM   #23
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
The good news is that the percentage of kids moving on to get a formal education is quite high - I'm sure there are plenty of states that wish they had the same.

The reality is there is still little high tech industry/"high skilled" opportunities in the state comparatively speaking. So where are these folks to work and live after making such a significant investment in education? Obviously they are educated enough to know where the jobs are. For some it's commuting to places where those jobs are and remain in NH, but anyone who commutes into say MA for work knows all to well that gets old real fast.
I worked for Sanders/Lockheed Martin/BAE Systems for 40 years. You will be amazed at the number of people get a job here and commute from the greater Boston area. Thinking a better job will come up. Many ended up staying and move up to the area. Yes it does get old fast!
Old 02-20-2017, 05:31 PM   #24
Lakemamma

We sure will be losing a lot when they move. The amount of people that will be selling there houses due to they won't want that communte. So more kids not in the school systems, taxes go up.
Lakemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #25
AmantiDelLago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemamma View Post
We sure will be losing a lot when they move. The amount of people that will be selling there houses due to they won't want that communte. So more kids not in the school systems, taxes go up.
I'm not quite sure I follow. The houses will still be there and taxes will have to be paid on the property. If there are fewer kids in the school why would taxes go up? If there were more kids in the schools I would think that taxes would increase due to more classrooms needed and more school staff.
AmantiDelLago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #26
Lakemamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmantiDelLago View Post
I'm not quite sure I follow. The houses will still be there and taxes will have to be paid on the property. If there are fewer kids in the school why would taxes go up? If there were more kids in the schools I would think that taxes would increase due to more classrooms needed and more school staff.
Not sure you have been reading the papers lately but Meredith is losing people here full time. The school numbers are going down. Yes the co will still pay taxes but losing a big industry like that effects all that live full time there is less people spending money at grocery stores, less money at restaurants.
Lakemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:47 PM   #27
JADAQ

Not to worry, I work there and the majority of people aren't going to do the commute. Half the employees don't even live in Meredith anyways and actually some live further north and won't do the commute do to the fact good old EFI is NOT giving any pays increases what so ever even if you stay on board. Good luck to them as there will be a lot of great talent lost.
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JADAQ For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-22-2017), Lakemamma (02-21-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 08:09 AM   #28
tummyman

So how do you effectively pursue other opportunities ? Maybe the answer is that all the employees who do not move, work to form their own business where they become contractors for EFI and operate out of Meredith. Could help solve a business issue for EFI and retain talent. Need to look forward and identify what opportunities you may have to capitalize on the talent that is being left behind. Is there a competitor that could benefit from our talents ? Now is the time to get creative.................
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #29
AmantiDelLago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemamma View Post
Not sure you have been reading the papers lately but Meredith is losing people here full time. The school numbers are going down. Yes the co will still pay taxes but losing a big industry like that effects all that live full time there is less people spending money at grocery stores, less money at restaurants.
Could you please explain your statement about less children in school meaning that taxes would increase.
AmantiDelLago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #30
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmantiDelLago View Post
Could you please explain your statement about less children in school meaning that taxes would increase.
I'll make a guess There are certain fixed costs to school systems, like heating, cooling, maintenance of the buildings, so if there were less families to pay the taxes for this, the more it costs those that stay. Of course, there is a time where people might pay taxes to keep properties they own, then becomes a point they won't throw good $ after bad, and the town will tax deed it to themselves. Anyway, minor problem, lots of for sale homes lead to declining prices: lots of ways to look at this.