Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Cell/Wireless Service Moultonborough Neck and the Lake

Hi All,
I've searched but haven't found much recent information: we have Verizon wireless and are looking to save some money if possible. Can someone tell me how other carriers' service is in the Moultonborough area and on the lake (for emergency purposes)? Thanks!
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Hi All,
I've searched but haven't found much recent information: we have Verizon wireless and are looking to save some money if possible. Can someone tell me how other carriers' service is in the Moultonborough area and on the lake (for emergency purposes)? Thanks!
I haven't checked in a while..(two or three years).. But Verizon has always been the best choice in that area of the lake... Many family members and myself tried all the different carriers over the years, and the best for coverage when at the lake has always been Verizon....

Away from the lake and traveling.... Hands down Verizon has the most available coverage... yep you pay a little more....
Old 02-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
WakeboardMom

We live on Moultonborough Neck not far from the Long Island bridge. We have about 7 family members who are with us every weekend during the summer and we all have Verizon, with good service. We've had visitors with AT&T who have been unable to use their phone. I can't speak to other providers.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
thebix

Default Third Party Resellers of Verizon

Verizon coverage is excellent.
But look into alternate resellers of the Verizon network such as Page Plus or Straight Talk, and a number of others.
Their plans may provide the service you need at a much lower cost than a Verizon contract.
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
TheProfessor

Verizon is the best bet for most of the Lakes Region.

Other carriers do work.

There are discounts that apply to various groups.
There is a list some place - and it is long.
Veterans get 10% off part of the Verizon and AT&T bill - among many other groups. You do have to ask for it.

I have Tracfone - full Android dual core processor. And Tracfone in my zip code uses the Verizon network. Tracfone, Net10, and Straight Talk are all owned by Tracfone.

Tracfone is NOT for everyone. But has worked for me these past 10 years.

If you have/want the latest iPhone then count Tracfone out.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2015, 06:23 PM   #6
wifi

US Cellular is a roaming partner with Verizon, if you can't get a USC tower, then you roam for free to Verizon. Cheaper plans, had them for 20+ years. Been in non USC areas and picked up Verizon (and data) with no problem and no extra cost. You will pay a little less with USC. Both USC and Verizon have an antenna at the old microwave tower near the end of Mboro neck and provide excellent service to the area.

Last edited by wifi; 02-09-2015 at 06:57 PM.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:36 PM   #7
Loony Singer

Default Tracfone

We live at the end of the Neck. We initially switched to Tracfone using a GSM phone, which simply didn't work. It took a LOT of time with customer support to convince them that we needed to use a CDMA phone (I.e. Verizon), but in the end it all worked out.

That was about 6 years ago. Then about a year ago, Tracfone started a "bring your own phone" program, which let you use certain older smartphones on Tracfone, including some iPhones. My wife and I both found iPhone 4s phones thru Amazon. Again, Tracfone customer support was a terrible pain to deal with. But in the end, we are happy campers. And I doubt that we spend more than $20 per month for the both of us.
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
catdon

We live down the neck road off of Winaukee. We all have iPhones with AT&T and we all have excellent service at the house. In fact, never had a problem. The only place I lose my reception on the drive up from Massachusetts is sometimes when I get off 93 onto 104 and always from about Canoe to the bagel place. Other than that, works like a champ.
catdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:14 AM   #9
Loony Singer

Default Interesting!...

Catdon, we must practically be neighbors. Our sons have AT&T iPhones and complained for years about being unable to use their phones successfully at our house. They finally bought a "microcell" gizmo from AT&T that connects through the Internet, and it solved the problem. Cost around $150, I think.

Goes to show that you really can't guarantee cell phone service in rural areas from looking at some map...you just have to try it at the exact location where you live.
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Loony Singer For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #10
rander7823

Default Micro-cell should be free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loony Singer View Post
Catdon, we must practically be neighbors. Our sons have AT&T iPhones and complained for years about being unable to use their phones successfully at our house. They finally bought a "microcell" gizmo from AT&T that connects through the Internet, and it solved the problem. Cost around $150, I think.

Goes to show that you really can't guarantee cell phone service in rural areas from looking at some map...you just have to try it at the exact location where you live.
Anyone interested in a micro-cell should push their carrier. They say they charge for it but as soon as you start complaining they cave and send it to you for nothing. At least that was my experience with AT&T
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #11
Pineedles

T-Mobile service in Center Harbor bay is passable if you stand in the right place. Like about 20' further than my dock stretches out. Great in the winter, but I haven't been able to walk out that far, after ICE-OUT.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #12
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander7823 View Post
Anyone interested in a micro-cell should push their carrier.
Some new phones like the iPhone 6 can make calls using Wifi, making the Micro-cells unneeded. T-Mobile already supports it and the other carriers are projecting support sometime this year.

I assume that in the future all new phones will have this capability.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
rander7823 (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #13
thinkxingu

The problem with Wi-Fi is, well, we don't have it! We haven't caved to installing cable (yet), so part of my use is for data.

Anyone else have ATT in that area?
Old 02-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #14
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
T-Mobile service in Center Harbor bay is passable if you stand in the right place. Like about 20' further than my dock stretches out. Great in the winter, but I haven't been able to walk out that far, after ICE-OUT.
And if you stand on your head!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #15
jetlag100

Default Verizon

I love down the Kona area off the Neck Rd...Verizon, hands down..even out on the boat, I've never had a dropped call, never!
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #16
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
The problem with Wi-Fi is, well, we don't have it! We haven't caved to installing cable (yet), so part of my use is for data.

Anyone else have ATT in that area?

We are near Harilla's on Long Island, Verizon works, but any guests using ATT are out of luck.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #17
ApS

Smile Republic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Some new phones like the iPhone 6 can make calls using Wifi, making the Micro-cells unneeded. T-Mobile already supports it and the other carriers are projecting support sometime this year.
I assume that in the future all new phones will have this capability.
Check into "Republic" (new to me). I'm hearing great things like the above—and it may be more reasonable. It searches for Wi-Fi and cells, and provides their service by using which ever gives the better signal.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #18
mhtranger

We have a place in Balmoral and I have Sprint and can't use my phone except for texting.
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #19
mneck1814

Default Verizon

We are on the Neck near Far Echo, Verizon is not only your best bet, its basically the only option. Guests with anything other than Verizon are usually out of luck.
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:12 PM   #20
thinkxingu

Anyone try T-Mobile?
Old 02-21-2015, 06:42 AM   #21
thinkxingu

Cross posted: I've been doing a ton of research and, since I get great service with Verizon, I'll be choosing between Page Plus and Straight Talk. Both use Verizon's network (need to get the right phone for Straight Talk) but it looks like ST is a bit cheaper for better features AND it looks like I can take my current phone over easier.

Thoughts on either appreciated!
Old 02-21-2015, 07:41 AM   #22
LFOD

Default T-Mobile

Recently switched to T-Mobile. In most metropolitan areas coverage is good but last week I was up at the lake around Long Island and could only get service if I was right around the LI beach everywhere else I tried had no luck (Jonathon's, Harilla, Windemere). Did get service at the new Center Harbor diner though.
LFOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:15 PM   #23
RLW

Smile

LFOD, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum after joining back in April 2004. We are glad that you have come aboard and joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #24
2DAMTS

Default At&t

Me and my fiancé both have iPhones with AT&T. Her family has a camp right by Long Island bridge. Great service at there camp, and honestly have never had an issue on any of the big lake with AT&T. My family has a camp on Winnisquam in laconia right by the 3 islands. We are lucky if we get 1 bar, we actually have to walk around the property to find a signal, very annoying! As far as AT&T micro cells, where I live in nashua has bad AT&T service ( the only neighborhood in nashua with poor service) it's true, if you complain about the service, they will give you the microcell for free at no additional cost and it does work great. I don't think there is much of a price difference between AT&T and Verizon though.
2DAMTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:30 AM   #25
thinkxingu

I think I'm leaning towards Verizon prepaid, which would save us about $50/mth. and should have almost identical coverage (according to the coverage maps). I'll post my findings when we switch our postpaid phones over next week.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:20 PM   #26
braunbayboater

Default Internet service

I know this thread has been about Cell service but can anyone recommend an internet service for a camp near Braun Bay. We had Fairpoint last summer and it is slow and expensive - looking for another option.
braunbayboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #27
Lakegeezer

Default TWC if you can get it

Properties in Braun Bay may be serviced by Time Warner Cable. Fairpoint DSL shouldn't be that expensive, especially if you purchase the lower speed services. In some areas of Moultonborough, their maximum speed is 3 Mbps and in others, it is 15. If you are far from their DSL hubs, and can only get 1 Mbps, then only buy that grade of service. The wireless services provide faster speeds than some DSL locations, but the data volume charges will raise the cost unless you are on a grandfathered unlimited service plan.
braunbayboater (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 06:26 AM   #28
CateP

Default Page Plus

I use Page Plus, which uses the Verizon network. I pay $32 per month for 1200 texts and 1200 minutes plus 500 mb of data. The $55 per month plan gives you unlimited talk and text and 2gb of data. Can't justify using any other service.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:31 AM   #29
Lakegeezer

Default How much data do you consume?

Going with data volume plans is hard to keep inexpensive, especially if you play to use it in a residential setting. One Netflix movie can blow through a 2GB limit. Streaming music will use about 1GB per 24 hours and moving several hundred camera quality photos up or down from the cloud will use another gigabyte. Facebook, email and web browsing (non video sites) use much less data. There is also the form factor, where a laptop/pc will use more than mobile and tablets, where data is usually optimized for the smaller screens.

So, the type of applications, frequency of use and number of people in the household all go together to determine the data volume plan that works best for you.

As an example, I live in a two person household and stream in 3-5 movies per week. My monthly data consumption averages 30 gigabytes, which falls in the normal range for those with cable internet. DSL customers use less, because slower speeds discourages heavier use and cellular wireless users use the least, due to cost.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:58 AM   #30
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
I use Page Plus, which uses the Verizon network. I pay $32 per month for 1200 texts and 1200 minutes plus 500 mb of data. The $55 per month plan gives you unlimited talk and text and 2gb of data. Can't justify using any other service.
How is the service around the lake? I have read that PP only uses Verizon's towers and can't roam. I'm currently paying $46 for Verizon month to month with 1.5 GB data and unlimited everything else.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:27 PM   #31
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Default Smartphone for $100 per YEAR and it works great!

Our phone bill is $100 per phone per YEAR. We have Alcatel Smartphones running on Tracfone. Tracfone runs on the Verizon Network and works flawlessly.

We don't use our phones a lot, and we've had Tracfone for years. Recently wanted to get a smartphone with a large screen. Tracfone is just getting into smartphones, so the pickings are slim, but we found a great deal on eBay.

For $130 apiece (including shipping) we bought 2 brand new Alcatel OneTouch Icon Pop Smartphones that were configured for Tracfone. 5 inch screen, Quad processor, Kit Kat 4.4, all the usual apps preloaded, good camera, etc. Each phone came with a one year airtime card good for 1200 Minutes talk/1200 Te​xts/ and 1.2 gb Data. Not much for a kid, but way more than we need. Comes with 2 gb internal memory, and we added 32 gb sd cards to each phone.

Since a one year airtime card costs $100, the net cost for a great phone was $30. Since we had over 3000 minutes on our old phone, we rolled those over to one phone and put both air time cards on the second phone. We're good until November, 2016.

The Alcatel can display a standard android icon screen, but it also has a second configuration that displays larger, easier to see icons.

Like most phones, if it is connected to a wireless LAN the calls and data are free. We leave the mobile data turned off when we don't need it so that updates don't suck up the data. Interestingly, the Google GPS works fine without being connected to a mobile network.

It only runs 3G, but it is still fast. The battery life is good, also.

It's a great phone with a fast processor for only $30 plus airtime. They are still available on eBay.
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote