Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Winni P

Default Markers off Timber

We noticed some unusual markers off Timber (close to shore) on the Round island side. Any idea what they are for?
Winni P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winni P For This Useful Post:
Winnigirl (07-17-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
jrc

My information is strickly word of mouth, I don't have an official MP source to back this up. Those are for the boat noise testing. If the NH Marine patrol thinks your boat is too loud they can make you do a live test. They moor a small boat there with sound equipment and you have to drive by.

Given the relatively new stationary measurement law, they might not do them so often.

I anchor near there a lot and I've never seen a test, of course most of my anchoring is on weekends.

I have seen the MP doing anchoring and landing practice near there on Timber. A older MP did the same drill two or three times, then had his new guy repeat it.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

That is where they used to do the testing and I don't see any reason why they would have changed unless as you said they only do the stationary tests now. They only did it on Sunday morning starting early until they were done.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Altonbayicefishingfool

They can't do sound testing and have it hold up in court. Too many variables, need two to three officers to perform the test. They don't even have enough officers to patrol the lake never mind some stupid sound test. It doesn't work for motorcycles due to so many variables. (engine speed, distance from the exhaust exit, boats rocking and rolling as they are trying to do test) come on now.
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
tis

Maybe it wouldn't hold up in court but they did it for many years. I don't know what the story is now. They had two officers, one to ride in the offending boat and one in the moored MP boat to take the reading.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Decibel testing

They tested my boat at the time they passed the noise law. What happened then was they will test the db at idle from the Glendale dock to determine whether or not I should have the WOT test. What was comical is to see the LEO stick his baton up the exhaust to see how far it will go. Obviously you will hit the water baffler before anything else.

At Timber Island one officer will be near shore with a DB meter. Another officer rode with me as I do a WOT pass by the MP boat approximately 200 feet from the boat. I passed and they gave me a piece of paper to take with me in case I get pulled over.

Today, I'm not sure if they test at WOT, as the speed limit is 45. Do they test at WOT or at 45? Most boats do not reach 45.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
They tested my boat at the time they passed the noise law. What happened then was they will test the db at idle from the Glendale dock to determine whether or not I should have the WOT test. What was comical is to see the LEO stick his baton up the exhaust to see how far it will go. Obviously you will hit the water baffler before anything else.

At Timber Island one officer will be near shore with a DB meter. Another officer rode with me as I do a WOT pass by the MP boat approximately 200 feet from the boat. I passed and they gave me a piece of paper to take with me in case I get pulled over.

Today, I'm not sure if they test at WOT, as the speed limit is 45. Do they test at WOT or at 45? Most boats do not reach 45.
Thing is what should the MP be more concerned about, a few noisy boats or busting those that are unsafe? I'll be honest here, some of the boats out there on the lake are obnoxiously loud, but noise doesn't kill, nor does speed per say, stupidity does. I suppose as long as there is the perception something is being 'done' that satisifies the masses even though in reality it's less MP out there catching the capt'n boneheads!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Kamper

As part of the law, MP is required to have the capability. Whether they use it very often, or if they have a protocol that will stand up in court, remains to be seen.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
jrc

I have personally seen those markers or similar markers for at least 10 years.

I remember stories about Timber Island sound tests for at least twenty years.

I'm sure some of those tests led to convictions.

BTW I have used those markers for docking practice. If you see a blue cruiser backing between them, stop and say hi.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #10
tis

I just heard today that someone got stopped and they did not have to go out to Timber Island, they tested them and fined them on the spot. So it sounds like TIsland is a thing of the past. I also heard the fine was $310.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Just the start of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I just heard today that someone got stopped and they did not have to go out to Timber Island, they tested them and fined them on the spot. So it sounds like TIsland is a thing of the past. I also heard the fine was $310.
I have a friend who has a GFBL boat, and was stopped for noise. However, the MP officer conducting the test did it incorrectly, and the offense was written off by MP. Evidently there is a certain distance from the boat and above the water and away from a swim platform on the boat, all or most of which I don't really remember or understand.

Forward to the next year, and he again was stopped and issued a ticket, which I think was $310. To be able to use the boat, he had to correct the problem, be retested again (static test, not at Timber), and the boat failed again. He then had more work done and applied for a retest, and this time it was at Timber with a MP officer in one of there boats at rest, and an officer in the boat with my friend. They had to make a pass each way at one speed, and then another pair of passes at WOT, about 75 MPH. He passed, just barely, but he passed.

I think I have remembered the chronological chain of events, and if I am in error, apologies to the MP.

I am surprised your friend didn't have to be retested to make sure the boat was in compliance.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:16 AM   #12
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I have a friend who has a GFBL boat, and was stopped for noise. However, the MP officer conducting the test did it incorrectly, and the offense was written off by MP. Evidently there is a certain distance from the boat and above the water and away from a swim platform on the boat, all or most of which I don't really remember or understand.

Forward to the next year, and he again was stopped and issued a ticket, which I think was $310. To be able to use the boat, he had to correct the problem, be retested again (static test, not at Timber), and the boat failed again. He then had more work done and applied for a retest, and this time it was at Timber with a MP officer in one of there boats at rest, and an officer in the boat with my friend. They had to make a pass each way at one speed, and then another pair of passes at WOT, about 75 MPH. He passed, just barely, but he passed.

I think I have remembered the chronological chain of events, and if I am in error, apologies to the MP.

I am surprised your friend didn't have to be retested to make sure the boat was in compliance.
Oh they did have to be retested after repairs were made.

So maybe they still do some testing at Timber??? Was this recently?
Old 09-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #13
upthesaukee

Default Yes, recently...

It was over the last couple of years.

I think this is the rule on the noise levels.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...270/270-37.htm
Old 09-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #14
KDL

Quote:

Why would a boat on Winni have to pass a noise test at 75 MPH?
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:37 AM   #15
tis

Quote:
It was over the last couple of years.

I think this is the rule on the noise levels.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...270/270-37.htm
I wonder why these people didn't have to go out to Timber? Maybe sometimes they do and sometimes they don't……….would like to know why.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:46 AM   #16
upthesaukee

Default that I can't answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDL View Post
Why would a boat on Winni have to pass a noise test at 75 MPH?
... and neither could the boat owner. He was essentially told it was part of the test, to make a run at WOT.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #17
upthesaukee

Default I believe you get one chance at fixing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I wonder why these people didn't have to go out to Timber? Maybe sometimes they do and sometimes they don't……….would like to know why.
...or a retest at a "static" test. If that fails, then it is the running test. Not sure all that comes into play, and my information is from the person who got written up, which I take to be honestly relayed.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #18
MeredithMan

Default So Can I open my pipes or not....??

....I have been wondering about the noise question since I bought my boat last year. It has a Captain's Call exhaust. I had heard second or third hand that there was a noise law, and that I shouldn't open the pipes. One of the previous posts shows that there is a law on the books. However, you hear the loud pipes all day long on the lake.

Is this noise law like the old Puritan Blue Laws...still technically a law on the books but not, (or very rarely), enforced? If any of you have CC exhaust, how do you handle it?

Thanks!

MM
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #19
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
....I have been wondering about the noise question since I bought my boat last year. It has a Captain's Call exhaust. I had heard second or third hand that there was a noise law, and that I shouldn't open the pipes. One of the previous posts shows that there is a law on the books. However, you hear the loud pipes all day long on the lake.

Is this noise law like the old Puritan Blue Laws...still technically a law on the books but not, (or very rarely), enforced? If any of you have CC exhaust, how do you handle it?

Thanks!

MM
I like the sound of a somewhat subdued V8, whether it be on a boat, car or truck. We are on Meredith Bay close to the Laconia line, so, about halfway or so on the bay.
What I don't like is having to hear a loud boat from the time it passes Eagle Island to the time it throttles down for the no wake zone in Meredith...and back. That is definitely noise pollution.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #20
tis

Quote:
...or a retest at a "static" test. If that fails, then it is the running test. Not sure all that comes into play, and my information is from the person who got written up, which I take to be honestly relayed.
I don't know first hand (fortunately-once was enough) but I was told both his tests were not at Timber. I was also told his boat was stopped a few years ago and passed. ????
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #21
brk-lnt

This whole sound-check thing strikes me as really odd.

How can the MP force you to drive over to some random places and do runs for a sound check? If you're in compliance you just get an apology? "Sorry 'bout messing up your day and having you burn through $50 of gas.". What if your engine blows at WOT? "Ooops, our bad."?

What happens if you refuse?
Old 09-09-2014, 06:00 AM   #22
jrc

If you don't submit to the test you can't drive your boat, period. Plus you still have the fine to deal with.

Since I bring my motorcycle and cars in every year for a sound check, as part of my safety sticker, this doesn't seem that odd. Don't you inspect your car?

The libertarian in me thinks its a stretch to call noise a safety issue but that's water under the bridge. You cant drive a car without a muffler.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:31 AM   #23
PaugusBayFireFighter

We've been stopped in the past two years for noise. Coming into the lake from Paugus where the MP was sitting, watching boats enter. They used a decibel meter which registered "over" even with the captains call engaged. We did have to go to Gilford to show we "corrected" the noise. The boat in question now has the mufflers back on and is legal for noise.

Hey, those are the rules, like them or not.

Last edited by PaugusBayFireFighter; 09-10-2014 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Gram
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #24
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
If you don't submit to the test you can't drive your boat, period. Plus you still have the fine to deal with.

Since I bring my motorcycle and cars in every year for a sound check, as part of my safety sticker, this doesn't seem that odd. Don't you inspect your car?

The libertarian in me thinks its a stretch to call noise a safety issue but that's water under the bridge. You cant drive a car without a muffler.
My issue is that this whole thing seems like a policy that is prime for selective enforcement and utilization to hassle people if desired. Call me skeptical if you like.

Also, for the record, I like the sound of a good V8 engine, but totally believe that "loud pipes" (on anything) are for people with childish egos and a lack of dignity. So my position is not based on strong support for overly loud exhausts.

This just seems like the kind of thing that could be tested in-place, and I think if the MP/State wants to enforce such a law they have a duty to ensure the enforcement can be done in a way that is not overly costly or burdensome to the citizens.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #25
jrc

I agree this is ripe for abuse, as in most of these laws, the process is the punishment. Obey or we will make your life miserable. I don't have any firsthand knowledge that this law is abused.

They did add a stationary sound test a few years back, I'm too lazy to look up how they decide which test you have to pass.

BTW I also agree that excessive noise is a problem that needs attention, on boats, bikes and cars. The perennial problem is how loud is too loud and how do you stop the jerks without overburdening everyone else.