Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Altonbayicefishingfool

Default Patricks pub and eatery

I stop in here once in a while, usually for their to die for stuffed mushrooms, lunch or sometimes dinner.

Never had a bad meal and/or expieriance. Service is great and the restaurant is always clean.

Anyone have likes/dislikes about Patricks? Let's hear them!
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Belmont Resident

Default Have not been in a couple of years.

Food was always ok, not great but nothing really bad either.
The only time we did not like our experiance was just after St Patricks day when we went for corned beef and cabage. We both thought it was skimpy for the price.
There are so many places to go that are closer that we just have not made it there again.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
Boston Fireguy

Default Good Place For Nachos...

Nachos is often our appetizer of choice and Patrick's has some of the best around the Lake. They're especially good with pulled pork on them. Yum....
Boston Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
bumble71

Default Boring

Not really a fan. I'm a local and I've been there maybe 5 times. Every time was the same experience, there wasn't one. The last time I went was about 7 months ago. I took my dad down to have a drink and pick up our take out order. There were maybe 6 people at the bar and it took one of the TWO bartenders 5 minutes to even great us. Really?? If your not part of the "Patrick's Click" I guess you aren't a priority?? At the end of the day if I'm ever in the mood for a "99 Restaurant" corporate experience, I go to the 99.
bumble71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
fpartri497

summer Mths. only I have been dining at Patricks Pub for many years. never had a meal that I could complaine about. good food not expensive and good service.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
jrc

We used to eat there a lot, our friends love it. This year we had one bad visit and one good one. The bad experience was at an off hour and I think we got the "B" team. They seem to be better when it's crowded.

It's usually a good value, especially if you know the tricks. Ask for bread and butter, they don't bring it unless you ask. Substitute a salad for the weird veggie of the day, only a small upcharge and it's a good salad.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
chachee52

It's funny, I was just talking about Patricks with a patient a couple weeks ago. The best way a couple of us explained it is "they are ok at making ok food".
It's not a bad thing. Their food is ok, it's not bad! I've been going there for years and for me the menu hasn't really changed (haven't been in a while to know if it has recently) and the food was ok, I've had better and I've had worse.
I can really only remember one time I had an issue and had to send something back (and I can count on one hand how many times I've ever done that). It was about 10 years ago when that happened.
I stop there a lot in the winter when we come up on Friday, turn the heat on, then go out to grab a few drinks and some food.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
bclaker

Smile Patrick's Pub

We have been going to Patrick's Pub for 10 to 12 years. Our favorites are their Belknap burger and prime rib. We switched to T-Bones for a while when they opened, but have not been happy with their offerings lately.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Patrick's Pub

I have patronize this place long before Alan took over. Food and service is the most consistant of any restuarant. Only one bad service event and Alan made good by presenting a gift certificate for each couple at the table.

Service and food is 4 out of 5 stars. T-Bones is the next favorite for comparable offerings in the area.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
fishdc

Default Great Food

Have been eating at Patrick's for over 20 years! Love the food, atmosphere and service. Have never gotten a bad meal. Super delicious food, herb infused butter and roasted lamb are outstanding!
fishdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Not really a big fan. Nothing to complain about.. it's just OK food. It's also noisy and I really have a tough time in any restaurant that has the tables really close together or has a loud bar area that leaks over to the dining area. (Ellacoya Barn and Grill is another "way too load" place.)

I will give them props for all of the charity stuff they do. They seem to be always willing to open their doors for fund raisers and lots of other "good neighbor" events.
Winnisquamguy (07-30-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
Jonas Pilot

Default My opinion.

It's great bar with good food. If I'm looking for great food I don't go to a great bar.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
Rusty (07-27-2012), Slickcraft (07-28-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
brk-lnt

We've been to Patrick's as well.

It's not that we've had a bad experience, but more that it just kind of feels like a 1-outlet chain. Nothing stands out overall and I'd prefer to eat someplace with a little more character or differentiation.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
Jonas Pilot

It's a great bar. If you want deference and degradation go someplace else.

Last edited by Jonas Pilot; 07-27-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: I just liked the way the words sounded.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
Jonas Pilot

Does anybody here ever have a good experience any place? Anytime anybody goes anyplace they have something negative to say. Maybe you have picked the wrong state to vacation at. Post after post, negative after negative. This site has turned into one negative after another. Don't blame us on your wrong choice. There are plenty of other places to spend your time. If you don't like us go someplace else.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #16
bumble71

Default Really???

Really Jonas Pilot....Really??? I'm a local, have been since the day I could open my eyes. So I'm NOT going anywhere. You? Are you a born and raised local?? Anyways, did ya happen to see the post that I put up on this forum about 2 weeks ago regarding the Boothill??? Nothing negative there. Just a bunch of positives.

So settle down. This is what forums are all about. You take the good with the bad.
bumble71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #17
Convertible Girl

Default Good place

I have always thought Patricks is a good place for what it is. I can't be too far off because the parking lot is always full.
Convertible Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Convertible Girl For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (07-27-2012), SteveA (07-28-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #18
Bear Island South

We eat there maybe 2-3 times per year, never had a bad meal. Its a pub not a 5 star restaurant, if you want exceptional pick a place that doesn't have pub in its name.
Great snowmobile destination too.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #19
Altonbayicefishingfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Island South View Post
We eat there maybe 2-3 times per year, never had a bad meal. Its a pub not a 5 star restaurant, if you want exceptional pick a place that doesn't have pub in its name.
Great snowmobile destination too.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
One winter quite a few years ago I rode the snowmobile from A-Bay up the lake to Patricks for corned beef ON St. Patrick's day, 2 feet of snow and tons of ice... I think this year you had to take a boat on St. Pattys day!
Old 07-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #20
KTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
Does anybody here ever have a good experience any place? Anytime anybody goes anyplace they have something negative to say. Maybe you have picked the wrong state to vacation at. Post after post, negative after negative. This site has turned into one negative after another. Don't blame us on your wrong choice. There are plenty of other places to spend your time. If you don't like us go someplace else.
I actually think this is well put. I've been reading these reviews for a few years and to be honest, I think very few qualify as actual reviews and the rest are sob stories and people seeking sympathy...or just whining.

I have worked at local lakes region restaurants (3 to be exact) and knowing the people that walk in the front door and what the restaurant actually does for you in the end aren't what you might expect. A LOT takes place behind the scenes.

Nobody really wants to tell about their good experience at a restaurant, everyone always has some problem. AND YES, there have been some legitimate problems and issues posted here that should be brought up, but MOST of the time people are just whining.

I read "we will not be visiting again" so many times to a restaurant you had tried once. Just because everything wasn't perfect, doesn't mean the restaurant doesn't do a good job. Bring it to the attention of the restaurant at the time if you have a solvable problem. Most restaurants probably want you back and will probably attempt to make right your problem so you can come back so they can say "see? we can do it right".
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #21
Newbiesaukee

Well, you can gripe about restaurants or gripe about everyone griping about the restaurants. Same difference to me. This is not a column for professional restaurant reviewers, it's a regional Internet forum that is very helpful to me. The fact that no one refers to a "dollop of creme fraiche" is very nice. What's so unusual about most of the comments being negative? Folks are always more likely to,write about their negative experiences than positive..it is,just human nature. The Forum seems highly skeptical of great reviews also.

If I really want to know about a restaurant, I do what I do on Zagats, Trip Advisor or Yelp...I eliminate the top 20%, the bottom 20% and listen to,the middle...not a bad idea in general.

Rant over.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #22
brk-lnt

I've seen several positive reviews.

Tavern27 has a whole thread of people with great feedback.

Several people have tried "The Griddle in the Middle" and come away with positive feedback.

The new deli place in Meredith (Lakeside Deli and Grille) seems to be pretty well liked.

The Village Kitchen has a small army of supporters.

The little Mexican joint over in Wolfeboro (forget the name) usually turns out happy patrons.

Town Docks has mixed reviews (kind of like Patrick's), it's your kind of place, or it's not.

You also have to keep in mind that people are more likely to comment about something they *didn't* like vs. something they did. The expectation when going out to eat is that you're going to get good food, fair prices, and friendly competent staff. When one or more of these things is perceived as unmet some people will post their displeasure.

But I haven't felt that overall reviews of any one place have been unfairly harsh, and in many cases (LP, Tamarack) it's possibly called out a place that is consistently underperforming and should be avoided.
jkjoshuatree (07-29-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #23
chachee52

Quote:
Reading this thread I can't say there's many "negative" points about Patricks. Most of them are saying just what I stated. It's food is ok, and there is rarely much to complain about. A few people wrote really good things about Patricks. It answers the question that was initially asked.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #24
Jonas Pilot

I agree. There is no way I would have posted that if the thread and posts were as they now read.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #25
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Nothing was deleted from this thread except for the one you deleted yourself.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
bumble71 (07-31-2012), Irrigation Guy (07-29-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #26
Jonas Pilot

Default I apologize.

Thanks Don. I reread and reread it trying to see what instigated me to post as I did. It now seems unwarranted. My apologies to anyone I might have upset. I have been worried for a long time about the negative posts that seem to predominate this site at times. It must have hit me wrong somehow when I read this thread. The last thing I want to do is create turmoil in my favorite website. Once again, I am sorry if I have caused any consternation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
Mirror Lake's BB (08-01-2012), SteveA (07-28-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #27
JPC

Thumbs up Best FFs around

Hey, I like Patrick's. Great burgers, beer is good and they have the best French fries around.
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #28
Belmont Resident

Cool

Quote:
Sounds like you have a bone to pick with people who disagree with you on this place.
Many of us stated it was ok, not great but ok, that isn't negative it is truthful.
What is wrong with it just being an ok place to eat. I concur with some that it can be very noisy and for some of us that want to carry on a conversation during dinner that could be a problem.
Remember this site is loaded with BOATERS, if you were to ask around town you would get the same response with respect to their food and atmosphere, nothing bad to say but not great. What is so negative about being truthful.
BroadHopper (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #29
Jonas Pilot

Default Hey Belmont Resident.

Please refer to post #26.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #30
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

The last time I went to Patricks. we were seated next behind another table of 4.
We got to watch as that table got their drinks....then their salads....then their meals. Meanwhile we had not even had a server even look at our table. After an hour of waiting I got up and walked out. I stopped and told the hostess about not even getting a drink while the table that was seated within seconds of our being seated had already gotten their meals. Us NOTHING. She apologized to me but by then it was way too late. My wife and her friend stayed at the table. I think they thought I was coming back. But that was not happening. I jumped in my car and off I went. I will say though, that my wife and her friend got their meals for free after I left. (My wife had her own car there BTW. I didn't leave her stranded.)
As I said. That was the LAST time I went there.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #31
jrc

You sat at a table for an hour and no one waited on you?

We have a inside joke about sometimes ending up in a No Waitress Zone.

Sometimes, in any restaurant, the hostess and the server get their signals crossed and none of the servers think you are "theirs". If a server doesn't visit and take a drink order in 5 minutes, I'm visibly looking around, most servers recognize that look. In ten minutes, I'm visiting the hostess.

None of my story regards Patrick's, can't remember it happening there.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #32
eillac@dow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
After an hour of waiting I got up and walked out. I stopped and told the hostess about not even getting a drink while the table that was seated within seconds of our being seated had already gotten their meals.
I have got to say....if you waited an hour and had noone approach the table....you have got alot of patience. If it were me, I would have been flagging down the waiter serving the table of 4 behind me, or I would have been up and out of my seat, and over to the hostess asking for some service.

I have to believe this must of been a complete oversight. If a place is busy...sure...it will take a bit longer for waitstaff to greet and take a drink order. But to sit there that long with no one approaching the table? Something is wrong....someone thinks that table is being handled by someone else.

Cannot say I have been to Patricks recently, but each time I was there....enjoyed the food, atmosphere and company
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #33
camp guy

Default Patrick's Pub and Eatery

If Patrick's, or any other restaurant in the Lakes Region, was actually as bad as some posters say it is, it would be out of business due to lack of business; and, if any restaurant in the Lakes Region were to be as good as some posters seem to want it to be, it would be out of business because nobody could affort that level of elegance.

The absolute best way to judge a restaurant is to go yourself and make up your own mind. Everyone's tastes differ (that is why they make chocolate and vanilla).
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (07-30-2012), Belmont Resident (07-30-2012), BroadHopper (07-31-2012), Jonas Pilot (07-30-2012), lovetheforum (07-31-2012), rander7823 (08-06-2012), thekings (10-16-2012), trfour (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #34
tom-sr230

Default whats up with the attitude

i have been coming to winnipesaukee only since 2004 ..and just joined this site recently
i spend around $2500-$3000 dollars each season at various restaurants
for my family and myself..
we went to patricks pub for the first time last weekend and my family and i enjoyed it..while we were there we spoke about when we could come back.
we have been trying new places to eat each weekend while we are up from our other home in mass. (spring-summer-fall)
i hope jonas pilot is not directly affiliated to patricks pub because i am entirely turned off to ever going there again if he is, and i am offended by his comments..
sorry just my 2 cents
tom-sr230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:37 AM   #35
trfour

Thumbs up Some History

Patrick's, opened in 1987, is named after the original owner's (Walter Kelleher) father from Macroom, County Cork, Ireland. Patrick's was an instant hit due to it's comfortable setting and quality food. Walter also operated two boats on Lake Winnipesaukee, the Aishling and the Tir Na Nog.

Patrick's was purchased from Walter Kelleher in 1994 by Jeff & Allan Beetle, bringing a new spirit of quality, enthusiasm and service. For over 17 years, the Beetle family has operated the pub, including Wendy Beetle (Jeff's wife), Jennifer Beetle (Allan's wife), Harvey Beetle (father) and off-and-on help from Nicole and Kyle, Brian, Martha, Christy and soon enough Brendon.

During this time, Patrick's has made several upgrades and expansions to the restaurant. They have been recognized with several prestigious awards including Restaurant of the Year (New Hampshire Lodging & Restaurant Association), Good Neighbor Award (National Restaurant Association) and Corporate Soul Award (Belknap County Economic Development Council).

I started going to Patrick's back in 1988 with friend's and family, and was a very happy customer from 1988 until 2005, when I moved to Texas. I wish they had a restaurant here! Patrick's Pub & Eatery is one of the best run and managed restaurants in the entire country, let alone the Lakes Region. Food preparation, quality freshness, service, ( The wait staff do an incredible job as well ) and the price is right! I never heard one complaint from any of my family and friend's during all of those years and since, as many still go there.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the hat...
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
Altonbayicefishingfool (07-31-2012), fpartri497 (10-09-2012), Jonas Pilot (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 04:18 AM   #36
Jonas Pilot

I am not affiliated with Patrick's, I just like the place. Please read post # 26.

Last edited by Jonas Pilot; 07-31-2012 at 04:22 AM. Reason: To change see to read.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:03 AM   #37
Belmont Resident

Default 26?

Quote:
I am not affiliated with Patrick's, I just like the place. Please read post # 26.
I’m missing the point JP. What relevance does your not wanting to hear negative replies about a place you like have to do with this thread? There are hundreds of both negative and positive replies posted about local businesses throughout the year.
Just look at all the changes the Woodshed went through with their quality and service issues and now it is being sold the last I remember. But there are still some who rave about it, maybe their standards are lower then others or maybe others have set higher marks that are not realistic.
I’ve always considered Patrick’s more of a watering hole then anything else, same with Shooters, although Shooters has pool tables I would say their food is on the same level with Patrick’s except for their burgers. Shooters burgers are much better. IMO
So I don’t know why your so defensive about this place, no one had anything really bad to say, I’d say the reviews were about evenly mixed with the bottom line being it is an ok place to eat or drink, not great, not bad, just ok.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #38
Jonas Pilot

Surface water temperature was 77 degrees today. Good time for you to go jump in a lake.

Last edited by Jonas Pilot; 07-31-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: I changed "time to go jump in a lake" to "for you to go jump in a lake."
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (07-31-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #39
Marauder

Default Patrick's Pub

My husband and I went to Patrick's Pub this afternoon for lunch. It was his first time out in almost a month since he recently had major surgery, which I mentioned to the Manager.
After a terrific (as always) meal the waitress informed us the bill was PAID by the Manager to thank us for being the first place my husband wanted to go after his ordeal.
We would like to thank her so much, as that was a very generous and caring thing to do, and I am sorry I didn't get her name as I was totally caught off guard! So THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Marauder For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-09-2012), diz (10-09-2012), fpartri497 (10-09-2012), GFP (10-09-2012), Heading4thelake (10-09-2012), HellRaZoR004 (10-11-2012), RLW (10-09-2012), Slickcraft (10-10-2012), trfour (10-10-2012), Winnisquamguy (10-10-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #40
Altonbayicefishingfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
My husband and I went to Patrick's Pub this afternoon for lunch. It was his first time out in almost a month since he recently had major surgery, which I mentioned to the Manager.
After a terrific (as always) meal the waitress informed us the bill was PAID by the Manager to thank us for being the first place my husband wanted to go after his ordeal.
We would like to thank her so much, as that was a very generous and caring thing to do, and I am sorry I didn't get her name as I was totally caught off guard! So THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Very nice!! Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #41
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Yes we waited an hour, maybe even a bit more. We were with a friend of ours that had flown in from Las Vegas. So we were talking and did not really notice the time flying by. I did leave as I just didn't have the time to wait anymore.

BTW I have been back to Patrick's. I will say that. I love their Chicken Ceaser's salad too much to not go have lunch there again. One of the best salads around. Last time I sat at the bar. Service was very quick.

You see. I did go back!
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #42
Altonbayicefishingfool

Thumbs up

Went to Patrick's this past weekend for an early birthday celebration.
I had their prime rib which was absolutely outstanding! Cooked to perfection and seasoned just right. Again, never a disappointment eating here, food is always consistent, hot and fresh...
The Following User Says Thank You to Altonbayicefishingfool For This Useful Post:
fpartri497 (12-11-2012)