Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default Look what I did to my brand new stove....

Taking it off the truck I dropped it. Broke the cast iron plate that holds the legs on. (Broke the leg off) Argh. $2000.00 propane stove. Guess I'll have to find someone that can weld cast iron now. Or buy a new plate for my new stove.
Just Lovely!

Last edited by Lakesrider; 11-14-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
brk-lnt

There are plenty of welders in the area, make sure you get someone who has dealt with cast iron before, it's a little tricky to weld properly.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Ouch! Good thing it wasn't your foot!

Try Dave Thompson, Lees Mills Landscaping, in Moultonborough. His dad is the one who puts on the Steamboat rally every year. Dave told me he was certified to work on the steamboat boilers, so I would think he could fix the leg for you. The number I have for him is 253-9316.

I have any personal experience with his welding skills, but we hired him to build us a garage a couple of years ago and he did a very nice job.
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Prop-B-Gone For This Useful Post:
Lakesrider (11-14-2010)
Old 11-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Lakesrider

Thanks...and yes it actually came to rest against the side of my foot. Gas pedal foot. would have been bad. I can't afford to miss work until I pay this stove off of the credit card....
Old 11-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
ApS

Wink Praise for Braze...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Taking it off the truck I dropped it. Broke the cast iron plate that holds the legs on. (Broke the leg off) Argh. $2000.00 propane stove. Guess I'll have to find someone that can weld cast iron now. Or buy a new plate for my new stove.
Just Lovely!
Since the stove is brand-new, that could work in your favor. Even though it is likely that the manufacturer can't be faulted, the manufacturer might replace the base plate at no charge. (But cross your fingers ).

OTOH, cast iron would be easy to braze—especially a cast iron fracture! For less than $50, there is plenty of materials in a hardware store brazing kit to do this repair (with much left over for other repairs to metal).

Don't get the really-uneconomical kit that has two tanks (one tank is Oxygen). The correct kit—with one tank—will be labeled Mapp-Gas®)
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
trfour

Default J-B Weld Works Too...

Lakesrider,
I've used this product for many years with great success. Diesel cylinder heads and engine block cracks, broken castings and all.
It's inexpensive and available at auto parts and good hardware stores.

J-B Weld's tensile Strength: 3960 ( PSI ), and withstands temperatures of 500 degrees, F.

Check it out here; http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

Just another option.

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Prop-B-Gone View Post
Ouch! Good thing it wasn't your foot!

Try Dave Thompson, Lees Mills Landscaping, in Moultonborough. His dad is the one who puts on the Steamboat rally every year. Dave told me he was certified to work on the steamboat boilers, so I would think he could fix the leg for you. The number I have for him is 253-9316.

I have any personal experience with his welding skills, but we hired him to build us a garage a couple of years ago and he did a very nice job.
Dave is a good welder. He has done several small fixes for me and made sure I was always happy. Give him a call.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
RLW

That is the biggest reason why I pay a bit extra and let them deliver and set into position. One just never knows what may happen. I'm betting you didn't believe that would ever happen to U'all did ya???
Old 11-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
GTO

Default or,

Quote:
Just Lovely!

Bring it back where you bought it and say when you took it out of the box, this is what you found
Old 11-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
Lakesrider

I got it for a really good price. part of that was a pickup only deal. And no, well ya, I figured it was too good to be true....
Old 11-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
RLW

LOL it kinda looks like the price was to good to pass up. Wasn't it attached to a pallet therefore it should have taken the blunt of the fall, or was it after it was off the pallet that it dropped??? I guess no matter what, the damage has been done and now it is how to handle it like you asked. Most metal fabricators will weld cast iron. There really isn't that much to it. I did many a cast iron boiler cracks right were they stood in the homes.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bring it back where you bought it and say when you took it out of the box, this is what you found
Then we all pay for it. GTO sometimes one needs to take responsibility for his actions.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
ACutAbove (11-27-2010), SPT13 (11-14-2010)
Old 11-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #13
Lakesrider

No pallet. free standing. And I am taking the blame. It was just an accident.
I'll give Dave a call and see what he says. I'll probably take the plate off and bring it. A lot easier than taking the whole stove....LOL

Hmmm I wonder if I can call into work and tell them I broke my leg....

Another problem i now have is that my original stove is not a double stove pipe. The one in my house uses room air for combustion. Not like the newer ones that use outside air. I also took a good look at how it goes through the wall and there is very little clearance inside the wall and insulation. I need to take care of that I guess after 5 years....So I need to figure out how the vent the new stove. Man, I am glad I didn't figure this all out when it was warm out....
Old 11-14-2010, 10:57 PM   #14
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Don't skimp on installation.

Quote:
No pallet. free standing. And I am taking the blame. It was just an accident.
I'll give Dave a call and see what he says. I'll probably take the plate off and bring it. A lot easier than taking the whole stove....LOL

Hmmm I wonder if I can call into work and tell them I broke my leg....

Another problem i now have is that my original stove is not a double stove pipe. The one in my house uses room air for combustion. Not like the newer ones that use outside air. I also took a good look at how it goes through the wall and there is very little clearance inside the wall and insulation. I need to take care of that I guess after 5 years....So I need to figure out how the vent the new stove. Man, I am glad I didn't figure this all out when it was warm out....
Do not compromise on safety, and have the stove hooked up by a licensed gas installer. Saving money is one thing, compromising on safety is a whole different issue, and one I would not want you to do, my friend.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:48 AM   #15
Lakesrider

Yeah. Saw this on the news this morning.

http://www.wmur.com/news/25788868/detail.html

The firefighter said that the owner had replaced his flue pipe himself. Maybe not correctly....(Don't know why he would say anything to incriminate himself to his insurance company?) Caught fire at the thimble joint. Might not have been tight and caught the ceiling and roof on fire. Mine is propane and does not get that hot but still......
Old 11-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #16
GTO

Default good point....

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Then we all pay for it. GTO sometimes one needs to take responsibility for his actions.
Not sure how we all pay for it when the store owner usually takes the product and sends it back to the vendor for credit, but I'd like to take this opportunity to thanking everyone here for helping me pay for all the merchandise I have ever returned to retailers throughout the years, Including the PS3 that I had for 2 years and returned for a new one recently.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #17
hilltopper

Quote:
Yeah. Saw this on the news this morning.

http://www.wmur.com/news/25788868/detail.html

The firefighter said that the owner had replaced his flue pipe himself. Maybe not correctly....(Don't know why he would say anything to incriminate himself to his insurance company?) Caught fire at the thimble joint. Might not have been tight and caught the ceiling and roof on fire. Mine is propane and does not get that hot but still......
I'm still trying to figure out exactly what this means...

"Firefighters said it looked like wood above the stove between it and the roof caught fire and spread."
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #18
Lakesrider

You don't understand that? Well then you won't be able to watch anything on WMUR. Most times their news show is messed up like that. Last night alone they showed the wrong video clip with the news article article they were talking about...TWICE! And in Standard Def no less. WMUR needs to jump up into the 2000's and get in High definition. If Vermont and Maine can have high Definition local channels, why can't New Hampshire? Sad, and embarrassing. WMUR...always good for a laugh.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #19
dpg

GTO maybe we all don't literally pay but we all do sleep well at night. Oh, I'm sure you do too.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #20
MJM

Quote:

This is called stealing.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJM For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (11-15-2010)
Old 11-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #21
fatlazyless

For repairing/replacing the exhaust vent, suggest you call Rick Vollmer, the Chimney Cricket, from Thornton - Route 93-Exit 29. He travels all over to work on wood-propane-pellet stoves and has been in biz for a long long time plus his installations are probably less expensive than the lakes region rates.

What the heck, everyone is probably less expensive than the lakes region rates; you could hire an orthopedic surgeon for less than a lakes region plumbing & (c)heating installer.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #22
WinnDixie

Default Ah, Lakesrider!

I can't offer any helpful suggestions...but am impressed by all those who can and have gotten on to help! Have to love this Forum!! But I just couldn't resist getting on to say...you lead one heck of an interesting and adventurous life!! Wish you the best in getting the stove fixed and ready for business, soonest!! Good luck!
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #23
secondcurve

Quote:
Not sure how we all pay for it when the store owner usually takes the product and sends it back to the vendor for credit, but I'd like to take this opportunity to thanking everyone here for helping me pay for all the merchandise I have ever returned to retailers throughout the years, Including the PS3 that I had for 2 years and returned for a new one recently.
The retailer/vendor takes into account all of the shrinkage (read theft) and increases its prices to offset its loss. Thus, we all pay for it. I know it is a difficult concept to grasp, but I'm sure if you think about it long enough you'll figure it out.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #24
GTO

Default no facts....

Quote:
The retailer/vendor takes into account all of the shrinkage (read theft) and increases its prices to offset its loss. Thus, we all pay for it. I know it is a difficult concept to grasp, but I'm sure if you think about it long enough you'll figure it out.
No facts to back that statement up. The company I work for handles plenty of returns (for many reasons) and our prices haven't increased in over 5 years. If your statement was correct, everything we shopped for would be so overpriced, we could not afford anything.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #25
Lakesrider

Well, tonight I took the brand new stove apart to get the bottom plate off. That was fun. I also noticed that some of the bolts they used to keep the outside cast pieces together are too short and that two of them were stripped out and loose.
So now that I have the part off i can call around and get someone to fix the plate. Once that is done I will get someone to come in and install it, as I am done with this thing as of now.....Grrrrr......

WinnDixie, I noticed the Huntsville, Al on your avitar. I went to a place called Rocket Kindergarten in Huntsville, back around 1964 or 65....
Old 11-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #26
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default We do pay for it as consumers

Quote:
Retailers buy a product from manufacturer or distributor for a specified price. The product is then marked up for sale to the consumer. The difference in price is called Gross Margin, or Gross Profit Margin. This markup takes into consideration many factors, including the costs of shipping the product, retailing it (operating costs of the store and wages for employees, benefits, etc), expected Shrink (term used to describe theft), etc.. Returns after a return policy period has ended, or, even worse, after the manufacturers warranty has ended are looked at as either 1.) a cost of doing business or 2.) Shrink.

When a retailer takes back a product (a return) and sends it back to the manufacturer, it is reimbursed at the cost of the unit, pays the shipping back, has labor in processing the return, and may even have to pay a penalty up to 25% as a restocking fee or obsolence fee.

Sorry GTO, we are all paying for those who abuse a return policy. And yes, the retailer doesn't have to do the return after let's say two years, but then we would probably read about how unreasonable they are after only two years for not taking it back.
secondcurve (11-16-2010), SPT13 (11-16-2010)
Old 11-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #27
Lakepilot

I'll second trying JB Weld. This stuff is amazing strong. It is not your garden variety epoxy or super glue.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #28
Resident 2B

Quote:
... I also noticed that some of the bolts they used to keep the outside cast pieces together are too short and that two of them were stripped out and loose.....
There is an industrial thread repair called Heli-coil that most likely can help with the stripped threads. It consists of a drill used to slightly increase the size of the existing hole and a tap that you turn into the existing hole that cuts threads of the proper size to hold a spring looking coil that you then insert into the hole.

Any machinist should be able to help with this repair. I am assuming the stripped threads are in cast iron and cast iron threads easily.

If you try to do this your self, have a good tap wrench and make sure you go in one turn and back off a half turn all the way in. Also, make sure you do not apply any side load to the tap. It is hardened tool-steel and it will break easily.

Good Luck!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #29
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
There is an industrial thread repair called Heli-coil that most likely can help with the stripped threads. Good Luck!
R2B
I would just rethread it to the next size with a new bolt.Check first to see which is stripped.It may be the bolt and simply using a new one will be sufficient.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #30
Lakesrider

Thanks...But the problem is that the threads are only stripped at the very first three or four threads into the hole. The hole is a lot deeper than the bolts they were using by at least a half inch. I am going to be pretty set if I just get the longer bolts.
I have no idea why they used such short bolts in such a deep hole. Plus add in a washer and there was even less bolt going into the hole. I will have to re thread the stripped threads, but then the rest should be ok. It isn't a structural thing so much as the blots were just holding the decorative cast pieces of the front, and side of the stove together. The thing was obviously not made to be moved around much, or they would have put casters on it...
Old 11-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #31
Lakesrider

Well I called Eased Edges n Laconia. The bottom plate that is cracked off is only $89.00. So I am just going to get a new plate. Maybe some new logs too. Then call the Cricket guy and see what he says. 8 days for the part to come in....Not bad.

I can't say enough about the guy that helped me. He called several places, called me back to make sure of the model number, called again to say he was still looking. Got me the price, called me back with that....
Nice service for once.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #32
secondcurve

Quote:
No facts to back that statement up. The company I work for handles plenty of returns (for many reasons) and our prices haven't increased in over 5 years. If your statement was correct, everything we shopped for would be so overpriced, we could not afford anything.
I had a feeling the concept would be beyond your comprehension.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #33
Donna44

Default stove

where did you get the stove I am looking for one.
Donna44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #34
MarkinNH

Quote:
Bring it back where you bought it and say when you took it out of the box, this is what you found.

By your demented way of thinking.
If I buy a new car and damage it while driving it home, then I should be able to take it right back to the dealer, LIE TO HIM !! tell him I bought it this way, he will give me a new one and just send the damaged one back to the manufacture.
With morals and ethics like yours, I am sure your parents are real proud of you !
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkinNH For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (11-16-2010)
Old 11-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #35
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna44 View Post
where did you get the stove I am looking for one.
Just get plenty of help lifting it.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #36
Lakesrider

It was a craiglist buy. Never used item. Another reason I can't bring it back....
You guys were having so much fun with the thread I didn't want to ruin the "bring it back" comments....
Old 11-17-2010, 12:41 PM   #37
John A. Birdsall

Default replacement

Due to a faulty drain in my boat, it sank this summer. Can I take it back and get a new boat, motor, and fuel system? Its a 1982 Sea Sprite 16'5" with a 1979 115 HP Evinrude that is completly rebuilt motor and lower unit.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #38
Lakesrider

No it just went out of warranty....Close, but NO cigar!
Old 11-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #39
Shreddy

Quote:
It was a craiglist buy. Never used item. Another reason I can't bring it back....
You guys were having so much fun with the thread I didn't want to ruin the "bring it back" comments....
Holy Moly! $2,000 for a propane stove off craigslist?! I need to start selling some of my stuff on there!
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #40
Lakesrider

Yeah...But it is $2500 in the stores. So I saved....or thought I saved $500.00 on the stove alone.
Plus this one came with a $195.00 blower fan, and $100.00 remote thermostat, and some cleaner. It also has the Travertine stone option that is over $200.00
I thought that was a pretty good savings for a new unused stove. We had looked at a Franklin stove that costs $3,000.00. And this stove is 82.5% efficient. Which should save me on propane as well. The one I have now is maybe 75%.....

there is a 4 year old used one on there for $1000.00.....

http://nh.craigslist.org/hsh/2004643561.html

That one has the stone sides and top option as well....
Old 11-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #41
Shreddy

Sounds like you've done your homework. I just associate any craigslist purchase as knowing you don't have a warranty. Dishing out $2,000 for something without the reassurance of knowing it works or not seems risky, but to each their own. Good luck with it.

Quote:
Yeah...But it is $2500 in the stores. So I saved....or thought I saved $500.00 on the stove alone.
Plus this one came with a $195.00 blower fan, and $100.00 remote thermostat, and some cleaner. It also has the Travertine stone option that is over $200.00
I thought that was a pretty good savings for a new unused stove. We had looked at a Franklin stove that costs $3,000.00. And this stove is 82.5% efficient. Which should save me on propane as well. The one I have now is maybe 75%.....

there is a 4 year old used one on there for $1000.00.....

http://nh.craigslist.org/hsh/2004643561.html

That one has the stone sides and top option as well....
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #42
Resident 2B

Quote:
Thanks...But the problem is that the threads are only stripped at the very first three or four threads into the hole. The hole is a lot deeper than the bolts they were using by at least a half inch. I am going to be pretty set if I just get the longer bolts.
I have no idea why they used such short bolts in such a deep hole. Plus add in a washer and there was even less bolt going into the hole. I will have to re thread the stripped threads, but then the rest should be ok. It isn't a structural thing so much as the blots were just holding the decorative cast pieces of the front, and side of the stove together. The thing was obviously not made to be moved around much, or they would have put casters on it...
Re-threading existing threads is hard to do correctly since picking up the existing thread is almost impossible, unless you can come in from the threaded side (other side) with a tap. If you cannot do this, try to use it as is as a frist choice or very carefully drill out only the stripped threads with a dulled drill. A sharp drill might bite in cast iron and make a bigger mess of what you have.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:52 AM   #43
ApS

Default Internal Theft...

Quote:
The retailer/vendor takes into account all of the shrinkage (read theft) and increases its prices to offset its loss.
"Shrinkage" refers to internal theft.

With this new stove showing up on Craigslist, that's all the more reason to contact the manufacturer.

There could be a reward out there!
Old 11-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #44
MJM

Shrinkage refers to the total difference between what came in to be sold and what was actually sold. This includes everything, such as internal theft, external theft, store-used, sampling, etc.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #45
robmac

I would try an epoxy for metal to metal,I have repaired alot of high stress areas that had been broken with great success. Hey if they allow vehicle manufacturers and body shops to glue panels onto vehicles why not a stove leg.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #46
WinnDixie

Default Hey Lakesrider...

Quote:
Well, tonight I took the brand new stove apart to get the bottom plate off. That was fun. I also noticed that some of the bolts they used to keep the outside cast pieces together are too short and that two of them were stripped out and loose.
So now that I have the part off i can call around and get someone to fix the plate. Once that is done I will get someone to come in and install it, as I am done with this thing as of now.....Grrrrr......

WinnDixie, I noticed the Huntsville, Al on your avitar. I went to a place called Rocket Kindergarten in Huntsville, back around 1964 or 65....
I'm belatedly seeing this..Yes, Huntsville is "The Rocket City" grown from about 20K then to (metro) 200K now. You would be amazed. And there's "Rocket" everything! Meanwhile...good news (so glad!) on your stove; good news on my "chest crack"...better everyday. Guess it won't "put back together" quite as fast as your stove...but still!
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinnDixie For This Useful Post:
ApS (11-27-2010), Lakesrider (11-28-2010)
Old 11-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #47
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
"Shrinkage" refers to internal theft....
Business courses I took defined shrinkage as - A reduction in inventory due to shoplifting, employee theft, paperwork errors and supplier fraud.

(the same thing as MJM said)
Old 12-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #48
caloway

Default Actually, no

Quote:
If everyone returned their playstation after two years of use, then yes everything would be overpriced. The math is not so difficult.
caloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:19 AM   #49
ApS

Wink New Numbers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
Business courses I took defined shrinkage as - A reduction in inventory due to shoplifting, employee theft, paperwork errors and supplier fraud. (the same thing as MJM said)
The numbers change from year to year, but Wikipedia—this year—says I'm 45% right.

Another:

Quote:
"Not only can customer theft account for 48% of revenue loss (2003, European Theft Barometer), it also has a negative effect on your business due to ‘defensive’ merchandising and obtrusive ‘hard tags’..."http://www.artrm.com/retail/shrinkage/
A recent example:

I bought a memory card at a Concord Wal-Mart this October. While removing my purchase from its oversized blister-pack and placing it on a "re-use" pile behind him, the Wal-Mart cashier advised me, "...Before the blister packs, this Wal-Mart was losing 50% of their memory cards to customer theft."

There may be a perfectly-legal reason this brand-new wood stove made it to www.craigslist.com but—particularly if "self-insured"—the stove's manufacturer could be interested-enough to make contacting them worthwhile.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #50
Lakesrider

I know where the person bought the stove. I called said company and asked what the retail price of the stove was back in 2004. So that I could get an amount to add to my home inventory list which I keep fairly well updated in case of a fire or any other bad thing that might befall my belongings.
Seriously everyone should have a video tape of their property and home possessions. I do and I keep a copy at my friends house and in my condo garage.

Ya know...I still don't have that part in yet. I got to call them right now.....It was supposed to take 8 days. Guess not.