Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2004, 07:22 AM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Winnipesaukee Camps Remembered

You may remember these camps from Lake Winnipesaukee’s past. If you are alumni, check them out. You may have something to add to these great sites or better yet reconnect with old friends.

Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society - Camps

Camp Dewitt

Camp Idlewild

Camp Wyanoke

Camp Kehonka (1902-1985)

Camp Menotomy

If you have historic Lakes Region photos you would like to donate to the Lake Winnipesaukee Museum, they love to speak with you!
Contact 603-366-5950 or by e-mail: info@lwhs.us

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 10-05-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Add & Fix Links & Add Pictures
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 07:42 AM   #2
Loony Singer

Default Ah, the memories...

Great topic, RG...

My first experience with the Big Lake was as a camper at DeWitt, circa 1961-2. How lucky I was to spend a summer and a half there! I look back on those few weeks and realize how much impact they have had on my life. So many of my long time hobbies and pleasures got started at DeWitt....tennis, sailing, canoeing (though I never did get the hang of water skiiing ). And, years later, how lucky I was to fall for and marry a girl whose family had a charming old camp in Moultonboro. Three years ago we bought our own place, and happily look forward to retiring there in not so many years....
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 08:39 AM   #3
Tom Cat

Default Camp Lawrence

My camp experience was at Camp Lawrence on Bear Island. I went to camp for two week in 64 and 65. Those four weeks where never far from my mind as I pursued a career and family. Thirty years later I reconnected with camp as a volunteer. My two sons have spent much of the last ten years as campers and staff. This year alone the oldest was on the island for thirteen weeks as a Unit Head and his brother was an eight-week camper. Camp has enriched all of our lives.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:01 AM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Camp Lawrence

My uncle was a counselor in the 1930's and I went to C. L. in the 50's. Went for two weeks the first year and cried... not when I went out, but when I had to come home. Next year was for a month, and then the next two years were for the summer (8 weeks). Learned riflery, archery, camping, hiking, waterskiing, fishing, rowing, etc.
Our camp director was Mr. Tinker and he had a small cuddy cabin O/B named the Tinkerbelle. Rumor had it that Mr. Tinker in his younger days had rowed to Glendale to get his wife some ice cream. He got it back before it melted.

Our rowing instructor (name escapes me now) took four of us "old" kids (12) and the five of us rowed to Glendale, got a quart of ice cream and rowed back to C. L. and gave it to the Tinkers. We got hugs and kisses from the missus, and shared the very soft but not totally melted ice cream. (vanilla, I think).

Can't remember how long it took us now, but my shoulders are still sore!!!

Last edited by upthesaukee; 09-26-2004 at 07:35 AM.
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:25 AM   #5
Grant

My grandfather and his brothers were campers at Wyanoke in the 1918-1925 era. His experience at Wyanoke led him to purchase a place on the Lake in 1945, and also to encourage his grandchildren to go to camp.

My brother, cousin and I all went to Belknap. I went for seven years, and then returned two years later to work in the kitchen. My brother was at Belknap for ten years, including one as a leader (counselor). My cousin attended for five years. This summer, my oldest son spent his sixth year at Belknap, and is heading back next year -- and he would like to be a leader there as well. My youngest will have his first experience there next summer. My two girls just completed their fifth season at Camp Huckins in Freedom.

As a camper at Belknap 1970-1976), I was on the swimming and riflery teams, and this afforded many opportunities to travel to other camps to compete (as did the soccer, basketball, baseball and other teams). It was like interscholastic sports, only a lot more fun. Sometimes we traveled in vans, other times we took Belknap's boat, the NYMCAH (get it? N YMCA H).

I could go on for days about the value of the camp experience, and the role Belknap played (and plays) in my life. The fact that so many of these great old camps have "gone away" is a real sore point for me -- and of course for all the people who attended and worked at those camps.

For its 100th anniversary last year, Belknap published a remarkable book detailing the history and traditions of the camp -- a fascinating and entertaining read even for those who never went to camp.

What a treat it is for me to return there each year. I would gladly rewind 34 years for the chance to do it all again.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2004, 04:14 PM   #6
parrothead

Smile Camp Lawrence / Camp Nokomis

I worked for both camps for 8 summers, driving the Bear. I still think about those days out on the boats, when I sit in a windowless office in MA and wish that it could pay the bills. It was certainly nice to sleep in cabin that was within 20 feet of the edge of the lake. I have some of my fondest memories spending some lazy summer days cruising across the lake on the Bear, and teaching kids how to water ski, and getting paid for it to boot. It was certainly a wonderful place to spend 10-12 weeks a summer. Bear Island is one of my favorite places on the planet.
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 07:15 AM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Guess I'm revealing my age.........went to Idewild back in the 50's (gulp) They had a wooden inboard called the Riot and a smaller outboard called the Riot jr. What a thrill for a 12 year old......my first speedboat ride.I wonder if Fox lodge is still there.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 07:25 AM   #8
Rattlesnake Gal

Default Keep Them Coming!

Keep the stories coming! They are great. Any memories of the camps that you might remember fondly would be nice. Kind of like the favorite memories of the lake thread. I know, we'll write a Winnipesaukee.com - A Rememberance of Camps Around the Lake!
I wish I had been lucky enough to have had the experience. All I have for camp without the family is 6th grade camp at Ocean Park, ME. Camp was good for me. You find out new things about yourself and when you’re shy. (I know that one is hard to believe, but it’s true.) It really helps to bring you out of your shell. Classmates that were not considered friends, turned into friends.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:43 AM   #9
Frdxplorer

Default Belknap

Timi Hi Grant.

I spent 6 years as a camper at Camp Belknap in the mid-90's. What a gem of a place for boys. I remember fondly waking up to the buggle in the middler division and rushing to get the trunks out and sweep the cabin for inspection. The days were absolutely filled with activity from archery, to basketball, to bizouball (only Belknapers would understand but a great game), to waterskiing, to buddy checks during general swim. There was never a dull moment and they were all spent with great friends. Even the food was great. In fact, I actually still miss it. Chicken patties and fries were the best. And then of course we played weird games to see which boy had to stack dishes and take them up to the counter. After dinner we would often spend the evening as a cabin doing some sort of activity. And then around 9:30 my favorite time of the day would roll around. Everyone on camp would become still as the buggler played taps. It was really cool to sit and reflect on the day gone by in the crisp lake air for a few seconds before heading to bed. Last year I made it back to Camp to help them celebrate their 100th year in existence. I was glad to see they were stronger than ever and ready for the next 100. By the time I have kids, I would guess the lake will have changed quite a bit from when I first came to NH 15 years ago. I look forward to sending my boy to Belknap to help him understand the untouched & historic beauty of this natural resource.
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frdxplorer For This Useful Post:
Grant (09-06-2023)
Old 09-25-2004, 02:22 PM   #10
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Camp Kehonka

See the other Kehonka photos added to photopost on 9/25.

Last edited by mcdude; 09-25-2004 at 03:16 PM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 09:19 PM   #11
Waterbaby

Default Camp Belknap

I never went there, as it was a boys' camp, but my youngest brother did in 1973 and 1974, I believe it was. He had a counselor named Steve, who he wanted to fix my then-17-year-old self up with, lol. I can remember pulling up to the dock in my parents' Lyman cabin cruiser, and a few days later we had to go back to take his cabin-mates and counselor out for a ride. Grant, as you were there at that time, can you refresh my memory as to where Camp Belknap is? Many thanks in advance!
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 02:43 PM   #12
Frdxplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby
I never went there, as it was a boys' camp, but my youngest brother did in 1973 and 1974, I believe it was. He had a counselor named Steve, who he wanted to fix my then-17-year-old self up with, lol. I can remember pulling up to the dock in my parents' Lyman cabin cruiser, and a few days later we had to go back to take his cabin-mates and counselor out for a ride. Grant, as you were there at that time, can you refresh my memory as to where Camp Belknap is? Many thanks in advance!
Belknap is on RT 109 in Tuftonbor between The Tuftonboro Neck Road and 19 Mile Bay. By Water it is quite close to 19 Mile Bay.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:05 PM   #13
Lake Dreamer

Default Camp Memory

I, like Rattlesnake Gal, wasn't fortunate enough to attend camp on LW either. However, I did experience Camp Lawrence, but in a WHOLE DIFFERENT EMBARASSING WAY.....

My family rented a cabin on Bear Isl. for the first time in '78 and my sisters and I became fast friends with the 3 girls next door to our place. Their father was known for his mischievous ways and I shouldn't have trusted him from the beginning. But.... he was being so "kind" (cough, cough) to teach me how to water ski. After many, many failed attempts, I was finally upright and pretty proud of myself. With that, he made a quick decision to WHIP me by the boys camp (he claims he was just circling around). Well, I clearly hadn't mastered the ability to go out & back in the wake without catapolting into next year, so......guess who fell flat on her face, ski's flying in both directions, and a not-so-nice looking problem we've all experienced at one time or another with bathing suit bottoms?!?! You'd think that's the bad part . . . nope. . . . . the Camp Lawrence boys were out in their canoes learning "life saving techniques". Picture several canoes paddling quickly towards you, then surrounding you with young boys desperately trying not to laugh while they ask you "wholly crap, are you alright?".

A great laugh for me now many years later, but what an embarassing day for me (and I guess the boys too)!
Lake Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lake Dreamer For This Useful Post:
CateP (11-19-2014)
Old 10-04-2004, 03:59 PM   #14
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Camp Lawrence View

Here is one of my favorite views from Camp Lawrence. I used to sit on the Mess Hall porch, or on the rocks in front of the Mess Hall and stare at this view. I imagined swimming across this portion of the lake, playing in the mountains across the lake, and of course climbing Mt Washington, seen in the saddle in the background. You know it was going to be a really nice day when you could see Mt Washington as we took our morning dip before breakfast.

BTW Lake Dreamer, you could have gotten even in those days. The morning dip was a skinny dip. Go to the beach with just a towel wrapped around you,and when the whistle blew, drop the towel and run like the devil into the water.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:59 PM   #15
csuhockey3

While I never attended any of the camps around the lake, I swam on the Meredith swim team for many years. We would travel around to all the camps around the lake for what I would loosely refer to as 'swim meets'

We had a blast going to Menotomy, Belknap, Lawrence etc. I remember at camp Menotomy, we would have a peanut butter and jelly relays. Any campers from ~1986 - 96 remember swim meets with us?

I even remember our cheer -- "up the lake, down the lake, who do we think is really great? - - yea!" (as to the tune '2-4-6-8')
Old 10-05-2004, 08:47 AM   #16
winnilakegirl

Default Camp Belnap

The only thing I remember about this was the summer my parents sent my brother there for two weeks. He hated it and was very home sick.
He had been waterskiing for years behind our boat but at the camp he didn't pass some test so he was not allowed to waterski. That was it for him -he wanted out. I must admit he was (and still is) an excellent water skier and loved to show all he could do. I only wish I could be half the water skier he was at that time.
He was so mad at the camp he refused ever to go again. He said that was the longest two weeks of his life.

winnilakegirl
winnilakegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:19 AM   #17
Merrymeeting

Thumbs up

Grant,

I feel like we should know each other! My daughter is a many-year Huckins camper and spent this past July there as a junior counselor. My sons were at Belnap for their 5th and 4th years respectively. They LOVE it! And I spent 5 summers working at Bald Peak (some as a caddy at the caddy camp, some as an employee) in Melvin Village in the late seventies. I'd join you in mourning the passing of many of these types of camps. The life lessons I learned...

Summer camp...a right of passage that every kid should experience.

Last edited by Merrymeeting; 10-05-2004 at 09:23 AM.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 01:16 PM   #18
Sue in NH

Default Little Spokey

In response to Winnilakegirl’s post…I’m that sister that had the rollaway bed at Little Spokie (sorry, Winnilakegirl…Spoky Spot is the “mother” camp where the landlord lived…right above us on the top of the cliff). But I have to agree with her on this is the best memory ever….our camp in Alton Bay. Our famous waterfights often included the next door neighbors as well, no matter who rented the place out. Remembering those tiny pine needles everywhere…you always woke up with a stash under your covers. Every year the boathouse would be leaning more and more into the lake…I used to put on my dad’s skates and stand there…and rolling along without even trying. That leaning pine tree on the point it still there… I relived the memories she wrote out..and wish my son could enjoy these as well. But unfortunately, change happens…and our wonderful camp was sold and the new owner renovated it and added a mansion at the top of the cliff. The new version of our camp can be seen on this site at http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...cat=503&page=2 but this is no way our camp anymore. Those stairs shown now are no way the “fun” stairs and ramps we traveled each trip. We’ll never be able to visit our old camp anymore…one time we were checking on our friends camp (landlord’s camp, Spoky Spot) in the off season (which we typically did) and we had the police called on us by the new owners of “our” camp. They were building their mansion in our “parking” area and thought we were trying to steal from them. Luckily, we have pictures of our Heaven, and it will live in our minds and hearts forever.
Sue in NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:51 PM   #19
JacksonB

Default Little Spokey

And do you remember Wee Spokey and Spokey' Pot?
JacksonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:00 AM   #20
Rattlesnake Gal

Question I Missed One, Are There Others?

Camp Alton
Does anyone know of other camps that are no longer in business?
Old 10-06-2004, 08:10 AM   #21
winnilakegirl

Default Camps Remembered

I remember Wee Spokey and Spokeys" Pot

And to my sister Sue I do stand corrected- camp was Little Spokey's Spot---

Winnilakegirl
winnilakegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:20 PM   #22
Frdxplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnilakegirl
The only thing I remember about this was the summer my parents sent my brother there for two weeks. He hated it and was very home sick.
He had been waterskiing for years behind our boat but at the camp he didn't pass some test so he was not allowed to waterski. That was it for him -he wanted out. I must admit he was (and still is) an excellent water skier and loved to show all he could do. I only wish I could be half the water skier he was at that time.
He was so mad at the camp he refused ever to go again. He said that was the longest two weeks of his life.

winnilakegirl
My guess would be that your brother might have been quite a good skiier but not such a hot swimmer. The test you refer to is a swim test to make sure a camper is proficient enough to swim on his own safely. Camp Belknap is a YMCA and therefore uses the swim test that has effectively worked for YMCAs for decades to test swimmers' abilities. I must admit, I too had been coming to the lake for a few years before heading to Belknap and some of their policies annoyed me at the time. I really wasn't to hyped about wearing a life jacket on the boat but looking back I realize that these policies help protect the camp in an overly litigated society.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:07 PM   #23
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Smile Camp Samoset

I remember Camp Samoset next to Lake Shore Park in Gilford. I use to live next door. It was a Jewish boys camp. I had fun when I use to sneak in in the middle of the night and ring the big bell located next to the mess hall. I never got caught. I heard there were rumors of a ghost that rings the bell.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:46 AM   #24
mcdude

Default Camp Kehonka

This is an original vintage photo taken at the girl's summer camp Camp Kehonka on Lake Winnipesaukee in Alton Bay, NH. (near Wolfeboro) It shows the Lake Steamer Swallow; picking up campers at the camps dock in August of 1940. The camp no longer exists.

Another shot of the Swallow at Kehonka

Here's a link to the Camp Kehonka Web Page
http://www.kehonka.com/new_page_1.htm

on the beach at Camp Kehonka

The Director Greets Her Campers at Kehonka - August 1935

For more Kehonka Photos follow the link below
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...hen=&whenterm=
Old 12-10-2005, 10:06 AM   #25
Rattlesnake Gal

Smile Should You Alert LWHS Of This New Link?

Thanks McDude.

Do you recall the gazeebo I pointed out to you this summer? I think it is from Camp Wyanoke.

Did you get a photo? (I knew I wasn't crazy and had seen it before!)
Old 12-10-2005, 10:19 AM   #26
mcdude

Default This one?

Would this be the one?
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2005, 11:14 AM   #27
Rattlesnake Gal

Smile Yup, That's The Gazeebo I Was Thinking Of

That's the one and it's in the right area too. I'll have to confirm that next year. Thanks McD.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:24 PM   #28
kunamola

Default Camp Menotomy

For two wonderful summers I was a counselor and sailing instructor at Camp Menotomy on Meredith neck. The years were 1976 and 1977. I have fond memories of the camp and the staff. I even remember one session when a hurricane was coming through and we had to lash all the gear in the camp down to the platforms and go hole up in the old farmhouse. It was both scarey and exciting.
Even though my parents have a house on the lake in Melvin Village, it was a different experience to work at a camp on the lake. I felt blessed to have a spot to take my fellow staff members on our days off as we boated across the Broads and down through the Graveyard to our own dock and house.
Teaching young girl scouts to sail and going on our 3 and 5 day overnights each two week session was a real high point of Camp Menotomy. We sailed to numerous other camps throughout the lake and camped at their outpost locations. That is when I truly understood the lake, the experience of staying at different spots all along the shores is one I treasure. I remember waking up in the middle of the night to racoons on my feet on Bear Island, a gorgeous sunset from Sandy Island, and a heart stopping "turtling" episode off Store Island near Camp Winnaukee. Thank goodness their staff came and rescued the girls and towed the boat back to their dock. All the gear still sits on the bottom of the lake.
I have a friend here in Virginia that spent the two most miserable weeks of his life at camp on LW and I just can hardly imagine that. He claims it rained the entire time and he never was warm!
My godmother went to Camp Kehonka in the 1920's-early 30's. She remembered it fondly.
My older son attended Camp Belknap for 9 years; this summer was the first time he was too old and he spent several weeks grieving over missing the experience. My younger son got his 5 year award this past summer at Camp Belknap. I am so glad they had the opportunity to go to camp on the lake. Even though they spend the remaining weeks of summer only 3 miles from Belknap those Belknap weeks are special to them. I can't remember the number of times I have driven to Wolfeboro, past Belkanp, to mail them a package or a letter. Even when home is 3 miles away, a boy at camp needs mail!
I grieve that so many independent camps can no longer support themselves, pay taxes on waterfront and provide kids with such great experiences. My hat goes off to all those mom and pop establishments that put their hearts and souls in giving kids a camp experience; it was truly a calling.
kunamola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #29
jkjoshuatree

Talking Camp Nakomis

My family's had a place on Bear for over thirty years and although I never actually went to Nakomis, I've certainly been there.

My friends and I would cruise the boat around, anchor off shore, and swim in to the island. Then we'd try to spy on the females in their cabins. Of course, we were always far too loud to get even remotely close and would be chased away by the camp counselors.

They never caught us (thank goodness), but the rumor was that if they did, the punishment was to walk through their cesspool...barefoot. And anybody who's been there knows how large it is.

Whether it's true or not doesn't matter I guess. It's still a great legend.

So that's my two cents. Once again, you Forum Folk come through with a very interesting and fun thread. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:52 PM   #30
cowisl

We are fortunate enough to own the junior beach lot of Camp Idlewild on Cow Island. We also kept the former Arts and Craft shack. Thanks for the pictures.
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:00 PM   #31
mcdude

Default Camp Wyanoke - 1920s

Camp Wyanoke - 1920s
Old 12-20-2005, 07:59 AM   #32
Grant

Taken at about the same time. My grandfather @ Wyanoke.

Old 12-20-2005, 08:06 AM   #33
SIKSUKR

Grant,That's way cool to have that photo!!
Old 12-20-2005, 04:14 PM   #34
Grant

Yeah, pretty cool, but why can't I get it to post within the response???

I am truly challenged...
Old 12-20-2005, 04:19 PM   #35
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Yeah, pretty cool, but why can't I get it to post within the response???
The image link must be to the picture, not the page. Right click on the picture, click properties and copy and paste the address into the forum message.

I fixed it for you.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:17 PM   #36
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Indian Language

I'm just wondering if anyone know what the equivalent English word or words to all these Indian words that the Camp were names are made of. This will be an interesting subject. Prevent 'cabin fever'.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:44 PM   #37
kunamola

Default Menotomy

If I remember correctly Menotomy was the Indian word for the area that is now Arlington Mass. The girl scout council from that area owns the camp in Meredith and thus named the camp Menotomy.
kunamola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #38
mcdude

Talking Another Postcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
Do you recall the gazeebo I pointed out to you ....? I think it is from Camp Wyanoke.

RG: I found another postcard of that same Gazebo....

Old 10-10-2007, 09:31 AM   #39
SIKSUKR

Winnipesaukee pictorial history is courtesy of the "McDudeian Museum".Methinks he needs to open one with bricks and mortar.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #40
skprbob

Default great memories

I was a camper/counsellor at Idlewild from 1962 until its closing in 1975, then a counsellor from 1977-80 at DeWitt. Those were great summers as a kid and great summer jobs as a teacher. It is truly a shame that those long-established and top quality private camps all went out of business - in many cases succumbing to property values, greed, and overweening government regulation. Many of the friendships I made at camp are still connected and remain some of my closest. I'm glad to see the tradition maintained by such camps as Lawrence/Nokomis, Belknap, Northwoods/Pleasant Valley, Kabeyun and others. This in the face of all the highly competitive sports camps and others vying for our kids' attention spans.
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:09 AM   #41
Lucky2Bhere

Default Braun Bay/ Hermit Cove

Does anyone know of any camps of the past that were located in Braun Bay or Hermit Cove?
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #42
Rattlesnake Gal

Thumbs up Three Cheers for McDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
Winnipesaukee pictorial history is courtesy of the "McDudeian Museum".Methinks he needs to open one with bricks and mortar.
Sounds like a plan! We are so fortunate to have McDude. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! BTW, where exactly are you storing all of your treasures? They must be overtaking your home by now.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #43
SIKSUKR

Default The Mc Dudeian Museum

OK,this could be where the money raised from the next forumfest goes.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #44
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Or maybe SIKSUKR would fund and donate the building in his honor! The SIKSUKR Historical Museum
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #45
mcdude

Quote:
Hey! this sounds like a good idea.....people want to give me money!!??

Actually the postcards and other ephemera don't take up that much room. A few shoe boxes at the most. Luckily I don't collect something like vintage boats or something!!

If you really want to see a great collection of lake memorabilia (aside from the LWHS Museum near Weirs Beach) you should stop in to the main office of Proctor's Lakehouse Cottages on Weirs Blvd. The proprietor there has a phenomenal collcetion.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #46
Dobritte

Default Camp Kehonka

Can any one give me a location of Camp Kehonka? I went past it while dropping my son off at Camp Northwoods. The sign is still there, but I think the camp was on the other side of the street. Any advice of what cove or road it might have been on?

Thanks
Dobritte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #47
mcdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobritte View Post
.... The sign is still there, but I think the camp was on the other side of the street. Any advice of what cove or road it might have been on?Thanks
Yes the sign is still there. You saw it just after you entered Wolfeboro from Alton on Rt. 28. This would place it somewhere in the area of Springfield Point.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #48
SIKSUKR

Still planing the McDudian Museum.Details to follow.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #49
Soccer Coach

Default Camp Winaukee

I live in North Carolina. Spent 11 summers at Camp Winaukee as a counselor, located at the end of Mountonboro Road in the 60s and 70s. First summer was 1962. Camp is still there. www.winaukee.com Most of the staff was from the South. Eight week boys camp. I visit this site www.winnipesaukee.com several times a week to "get my Winnipesaukee fix".

Camp Plumfield, a riding camp for girls, was located about a half mile from the entrance to Winaukee. No longer there as the property has been developed.

Camp Tecumseh www.camptecumseh.net/, also on the Neck road near Jo-Jo's is still there. Great memories.
Soccer Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:51 PM   #50
chipj29

Has anybody been to, or sent a child to Camp Mitena in Alton? My son will be there next week, and we have heard good things about it. Curious as to opinions from anyone who may have been involved.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #51
mcdude

Chip: Click here for a(n) HISTORICAL GLIMPSE

Here's their WEBPAGE

To the best of my knowledge it is a very reputable and well-run YMCA camp.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #52
KBoater

Default Camp

The original camp was a girls camp and reached off of Roberts Cove Road. It was one of the first camps sold off and developed into large house lots. By water, it is opposite the east tip of Barndoor Island. The sign points to the old owners house and cottages not the location of the camp.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:59 AM   #53
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post

Here's their WEBPAGE

Thanks mcdude. Pretty cool historical glimpse.
I had been to their website. One of our neighbors sons is a counselor there. Have heard all good things from them of course, just kind of wanted a "non-biased" opinion.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #54
eillac@dow

Default Dow Island Camp?

Does anyone remember a camp on Dow Island? It was probably back in the 60's. I can remember growing up on Dow in the 70's and being told about a boys/girls camp having been on the island in the past.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #55
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post

Here's their WEBPAGE

You ended up being correct. My son had a great time. My wife and I were very impressed with the staff there. If he so desires, he will be back next year.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #56
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Camp Dewitt, Alton, Northwoods, Bernadette, Wyanoke, Hill School, Pierce Camp all bring back so many fond memories. From playing ball against them to coaching against them and having friends from them. Such nice times. I miss the camps that are gone. Thanks for bringing back such nice memories RG.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #57
M/V_Bear_II

Camp Lawrence was on Loon Cove in Alton Bay from 1915-1920, before moving to Bear Island. Anyone know what happened to that property in the last 90 years?
M/V_Bear_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #58
mcdude

Default Loon Cove or Bear Island?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M/V_Bear_II View Post
Camp Lawrence was on Loon Cove in Alton Bay from 1915-1920, before moving to Bear Island. Anyone know what happened to that property in the last 90 years?

If "Green Basin" was 30 miles away, would this postcard be from the Loon Cove or Bear Island location?

Old 01-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #59
Mee-n-Mac

Wink Loon Cove

Unless they took a very scenic route from Bear I, I'd have to say the mileage matches Alton better. And that overnight hike to Mt Major would have been more a forced march, and a wet one at that, from Bear I.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #60
Kerk

Default \camp Belknap

I know I will be dating myself but back in the late 50s I delivered an Inboard/outboard to Camp belknap and remember backing it down the WOOD ramp to launch it. I believe it was a White with a Volvo out drive which was all new to me at the time. I was working for a local boat dealer at the time in Haverhill,Ma. Great memories. Now I am a Island person but at least on THE LAKE.
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #61
M/V_Bear_II

I can tell you for sure that the boat used on that Green Basin trip (the first Camp Lawrence) was retired in the spring of 1928, so the photo dates from summer 1927 or earlier. The Libby Museum trips continued after the move to Bear Island.

I don't know where Green Basin is, but 30 miles from BI to anywhere on the lake would be a meandering trip. All points to the Loon Cove location.
M/V_Bear_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #62
SIKSUKR

It's probably close to a 15 miles trip from Bear to Greens so it's possible the caption was refering to a 30 mile round trip.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #63
katiesmom

Maybe it just SEEMED like 30 miles with all those people in that boat!!
katiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #64
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
It's probably close to a 15 miles trip from Bear to Greens so it's possible the caption was refering to a 30 mile round trip.
Excellent job of solving the riddle! I agree for the record.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #65
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Excellent job of solving the riddle! I agree for the record.
Thanks, but even a blind chicken finds a piece of corn.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #66
andyboy

Default Worked at Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
I worked for both camps for 8 summers, driving the Bear. I still think about those days out on the boats, when I sit in a windowless office in MA and wish that it could pay the bills. It was certainly nice to sleep in cabin that was within 20 feet of the edge of the lake. I have some of my fondest memories spending some lazy summer days cruising across the lake on the Bear, and teaching kids how to water ski, and getting paid for it to boot. It was certainly a wonderful place to spend 10-12 weeks a summer. Bear Island is one of my favorite places on the planet.
I worked there as well several summers. maintenance work. What was the name of the man who was in charge. Short stubby guy. Gravely voice. Wife was there too. Ate eggs with gritts.
andyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #67
parrothead

Default Camp Lawrence Director

Could have been Wally and Mary Gumb.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #68
Lex

Default Menotomy in 1977

I was there, I was the Kitchen Boy and one of only 2 Males in the camp that summer, boy that was fun.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #69
onceMeg

Default Treasure Island

I'm a newbie, and really enjoying this site! I went to Camp Treasure Island from 1960-1963 - it was a Boston-area Girl Scout camp. There's more about TI on the History Forum - History of Treasure Island thread (I just put up a couple of pics along with the camp letterhead there). I also went to Kehonka, which has numerous mentions above, from 1964-1971; yup, I spent Many happy summers on Winnipesaukee - - -
onceMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #70
RLW

Smile

onceMeg, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for joining and your remembrance of TI back in the sixties. those were the good ole days.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #71
onceMeg

Default Treasure Island, again

It's taken me a few days to pull this out of my memory, but here is a poem about Treasure Island. Note - I did NOT write it. But I figure if I can remember it from over 50 years ago (gulp), it must have some value. I think it eloquently shows the wistful longing we adolescent campers (and maybe you too, at your camp) felt, and believed, about the magical world we lived in for those 2 months - - -

Treasure Island grew here when the world was still quite young;
God carved it with His glacier, and set it in the sun.
He poured out lake around it, and sheltered it with care,
Then covered it with rocks and trees to make it green and fair.
But when this work was finished, God couldn’t leave it so -
His masterpiece of beauty, and no one here to know.
He thought of all the centuries it would stand here all alone,
So He gave it a loving spirit, just for its very own.
And down through all the ages, this spirit has guarded our isle,
And the beauty of all she’s seen here is reflected in her smile.
She remembers the sweetness of springtime, the feel of the south winds warm,
The cold of a thousand winters, and the power of a storm.
All these are remembered, and these she will tell to you
If you just sit and listen, and let her voice come through.
If ever you want to hear her, just listen to the breeze,
As it whispers of the days gone by among the old pine trees
Or sit at night by your campfire, when the embers have burned down low,
And she will tell of other nights, and their Indian fires’ glow.
What, have you never seen her? Just stand at Golden Gate,
And watch the setting sun go down in a haze across the state.
Or spend the night at Topmast, and you’ll see her golden hair
As the moon shines through the branches of the 3 grey birches there.
And so when we must leave here, our sadness of farewell
Is lessened because we understand the spirit remains to dwell.
She will guard our treasured island, through all the winter long;
She’ll wait, and watch, and remember, and tell it to us in song.
onceMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onceMeg For This Useful Post:
ApS (12-02-2014), Gee60 (07-19-2020), Joan (05-27-2015), Orion (12-04-2014), Winopt (12-02-2014)
Old 07-14-2017, 02:21 PM   #72
Lakeflier

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceMeg View Post
It's taken me a few days to pull this out of my memory, but here is a poem about Treasure Island. Note - I did NOT write it. But I figure if I can remember it from over 50 years ago (gulp), it must have some value. I think it eloquently shows the wistful longing we adolescent campers (and maybe you too, at your camp) felt, and believed, about the magical world we lived in for those 2 months - - -

Treasure Island grew here when the world was still quite young;
God carved it with His glacier, and set it in the sun.
He poured out lake around it, and sheltered it with care,
Then covered it with rocks and trees to make it green and fair.
But when this work was finished, God couldn’t leave it so -
His masterpiece of beauty, and no one here to know.
He thought of all the centuries it would stand here all alone,
So He gave it a loving spirit, just for its very own.
And down through all the ages, this spirit has guarded our isle,
And the beauty of all she’s seen here is reflected in her smile.
She remembers the sweetness of springtime, the feel of the south winds warm,
The cold of a thousand winters, and the power of a storm.
All these are remembered, and these she will tell to you
If you just sit and listen, and let her voice come through.
If ever you want to hear her, just listen to the breeze,
As it whispers of the days gone by among the old pine trees
Or sit at night by your campfire, when the embers have burned down low,
And she will tell of other nights, and their Indian fires’ glow.
What, have you never seen her? Just stand at Golden Gate,
And watch the setting sun go down in a haze across the state.
Or spend the night at Topmast, and you’ll see her golden hair
As the moon shines through the branches of the 3 grey birches there.
And so when we must leave here, our sadness of farewell
Is lessened because we understand the spirit remains to dwell.
She will guard our treasured island, through all the winter long;
She’ll wait, and watch, and remember, and tell it to us in song.
Wow, Meg! I had forgotten that wonderful poem. Thanks for bringing it back to me. Kushy

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Lakeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #73
fatlazyless

Default .... summer camp museum in Plymouth

https://www.plymouth.edu/museum-of-t.../summer-camps/

Something to do on a rainy day when you are totally bored, out of your mind, with nothing better to do! I have not been there yet myself, to this museum, but I plan to go. This summer camps exhibit is reported to be pretty good?

Summers Camps exhibit in the Museum of the White Mountains runs from May 3 - September 13, 2017, Mon-Fri 10-5, Sat 11-4.
34 Highland St, Plymouth; up the hill about two blocks from the Plymouth Post Office, in a building that looks like it was formerly a church, on the right.

Museum entry price: free ...... my type of a price!

For a quality 50-cent cup of coffee in six k-cup flavors, go to Rand's Hardware, on Main St, nearby ..... free popcorn-Saturdays ..... across from the
post office.

For a huge thrift store, on two large floors, go to Ladders Thrift Store, on South Main St, Plymouth.... across from the Napa auto parts store. Like who knows, maybe find a tee-shirt from some defunct summer camp that is now home to five different 2-million dollar mcmansions for just two dollars ...... right!

http://www.conwaydailysun.com/outdoo...tains-best-yet

Holy smokes; www.campalton.com, 1937-1992, and now home to the Bob Behre mega-mcmansion, NH's most expensive residence for sale, has a camp store where you can buy Camp Alton tee shirts and sweat shirts..... with the CA insignia and a 'Flag Rush' design.....including a CA value tee shirt for just 13.99 ....... such a deal!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-18-2017 at 06:33 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #74
Tallyho

Default Camps remembered

I always enjoy reading these camp stories. I attended Camp Brookwoods in Alton for two years, 1958-59. Even though we had a camp at Alton Bay, it was still a great time. Camp Brookwoods has been in operation since 1944 and is still going strong. They also have a sister camp for girls, Camp Deer Run, plus some programs that extend beyond the camps.
http://www.campbrookwoods.net/
Tallyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 04:02 PM   #75
camp guy

Default Camps remembered

I absolutely can't believe that I didn't know about this thread.
My grandfather started Camp Wyanoke in Winter Harbor, and after his death, my father owned and operated the Camp untill he closed it after the 1975 season.
I was a camper and staff member between the years 1949 and 1975, and still live in Wolfeboro.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Grant (09-06-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 12:59 PM   #76
Susie Cougar

Camp guy, your name says it all!
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 08:50 AM   #77
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
I absolutely can't believe that I didn't know about this thread.
My grandfather started Camp Wyanoke in Winter Harbor, and after his death, my father owned and operated the Camp untill he closed it after the 1975 season.
I was a camper and staff member between the years 1949 and 1975, and still live in Wolfeboro.
My grandfather and his four brothers all went to Wyanoke (let's say circa 1918-25), and it was this experience that led him to buy a place on the Lake in the 1940s. I have a great old photo of him as a camper, carrying a flag, in his "W" shirt. I went to Belknap, as did my brother, cousin, and two sons. Both daughters went to Huckins from an early age, and went through the leadership ranks -- one later became assistant director. Two nieces also did many years at Huckins, and one just returned. Can't beat it.
Old 09-06-2023, 12:51 PM   #78
Grant

Photo of my grandfather @ Wyanoke, some time around 1921-1925...
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2023, 11:12 AM   #79
Donzi Minx

Smile Camp Idlewild

Was at the Island yesterday with #4 son, now 25 to show him Cow Island and the main dock. Sitting there idling and pointing out the old infirmary, where the mess hall was, and where most of the cabins stood, the floodgates of imbued experiences (67-68) just pop. The ski boat, the riot and aquaplaning, a multitude of campers jumping off the high dive, and slide during "general swim" of the day. An experience unparalleled since. The ROY'S family, LD and his son ran the camp while I was there growing through adolescence with lots of friends and activities. My dad and his brother went there as well, so sad to see it vaporize to real estate.
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 02:13 PM   #80
camp guy

Default Winnipesaukee Camps Remembered

I can totally understand Donzi Minx reaction to the summer camp era, particularly the statement "vaporize to real estate". I was third generation family at Camp Wyanoke, Winter Harbor, Wolfeboro, and watched the change from a robust summer camp to a well-developed sub-division populated by new residents to Wolfeboro who were curious about the history of the property and took pains to inflict as little change as possible for their development. Of course, the tangible assets of the Camp were gone, and houses were built, but the landscaping was done with a considerable amount of care given to preserving as much as what was there as possible. Camp alumni returning to just look around have remarked about how much they could see that they remembered from when they were a camper or staff member.

The philosophy of using land for its highest value is (probably) true in the economic world, but, as anyone who had ever been to a summer camp, boy or girl, would tell you, the value of summer camp is not in the land, but in the experience gained through being there.

Unfortunately, "experience" doesn't pay the bills, and private, independent summer camps with large acreage and long waterfront were assessed full-value for tax purposes, and this was a burden that many camps could not afford. Those camps associated with charitable organizations that enjoyed substantial tax relief were able to carry on, but many of them, too, fell victim to increases in operating costs, ie, food, insurance, maintenance. Interestingly enough, wages were not a very big factor in summer camp operation. Yes, staff had to be paid, but if you needed a job for the summer, and had to make money, being a summer camp councilor was probably not the right choice.

Personally, do I miss summer camp? - of course, am I glad it is over - reluctantly yes.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 02:49 PM   #81
tis

It is sad. I think most of the camps left are YMCAs or something that doesn't need to pay taxes or make money to survive.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:00 PM   #82
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

YMCA and AMC usually make some payment in lieu of taxes, but the value of the structures involved is still way below that of McMansions. Staffing is less expensive as people come back who just want to go back to camp and aren't looking for full pay or benefits. Most of the camps we remember, like most of the cottage colonies, were built 1930-1950. By 1970, most of those buildings needed to be replaced and/or upgraded. The motels went condo and the camps went McMansion--the retiring owners just couldn't afford the necessary upgrades. Like many family owned businesses, trhe next generation just wasn't in a position to take over.
Locally, our town bought a camp and now the parks department runs it as a thriving day camp. On the other side of the lake, the YMCA continues to also run a thriving day camp. The kids don't know they aren't on Winnipesaukee, and they have a great experience.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 05:12 PM   #83
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
YMCA and AMC usually make some payment in lieu of taxes, but the value of the structures involved is still way below that of McMansions. Staffing is less expensive as people come back who just want to go back to camp and aren't looking for full pay or benefits. Most of the camps we remember, like most of the cottage colonies, were built 1930-1950. By 1970, most of those buildings needed to be replaced and/or upgraded. The motels went condo and the camps went McMansion--the retiring owners just couldn't afford the necessary upgrades. Like many family owned businesses, trhe next generation just wasn't in a position to take over.
Locally, our town bought a camp and now the parks department runs it as a thriving day camp. On the other side of the lake, the YMCA continues to also run a thriving day camp. The kids don't know they aren't on Winnipesaukee, and they have a great experience.
Yes, they do pay something in lieu of taxes. I shouldn't have said the DON'T pay taxes. As far a the camps, the owners could sell and probably have more money than they would running the camps for 20 years. It is sad there are not many cottage colonies left.
Old 09-13-2023, 05:51 PM   #84
ApS

Smile "On Winter Harbor"

I attended Camp Wyanoke thirty years before the film, "On Golden Pond" came out. Except for the occasional canoe, rowboat, floatplane or sailboat, Lake Winnipesaukee "traffic" was unheard of.

Wolfeboro's "little airport" made most of the noise in our quarter of the lake.

Prior to that four year stretch of crafts, botany, multi-skill/competitive swim training, high-board diving, archery, riflery, rowing, canoeing, sailing, survival skills, military skills (continued throughout many decades at Wyanoke) and films for rainy days, I summered in Tuftonboro. In Melvin Village, I could cross Route 109, and take a two-minute walk to an empty beach.

Now retired, I spend summers a ½-mile from Camp Wyanoke.

Yes, I think the lake has changed.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:59 PM   #85
tis

You think?? We never heard of rafting in those days.
Old 09-14-2023, 10:19 AM   #86
The Real BigGuy

About 40 years ago my wife & I rented a place on the west side of Little Bear. In one of our strolls around the island we came across an old camp dump - lots of old bottles and rusted pots, etc. when I returned the keys I asked the owner about it and was told there used to be a summer camp on the island and some of the buildings (at that time) on the west side were the remaking camp buildings.

Does anybody know the name of, or anything about such a camp?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 10:21 AM   #87
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Old time rafting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
You think?? We never heard of rafting in those days.
The Lake Winni historical society has this from the boating "Where to" published in 1949, describing groups that anchored overnight at predetermined locations. https://www.lwhs.us/boatingwhereto1949.htm I don't have personal memories from 1949, but it appears group anchoring was common as soon after the war as you could buy gas.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 11:30 AM   #88
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
About 40 years ago my wife & I rented a place on the west side of Little Bear. In one of our strolls around the island we came across an old camp dump - lots of old bottles and rusted pots, etc. when I returned the keys I asked the owner about it and was told there used to be a summer camp on the island and some of the buildings (at that time) on the west side were the remaking camp buildings.

Does anybody know the name of, or anything about such a camp?
Could have maybe been Camp Alvord Wildlife Sanctuary for girls. I can recall my parents and myself waving goodbye to my then 13-year old, older sister, as she waved back from the Camp Alvord boat as it left the Cattle Landing town dock in Meredith in late June, 1962. About a week later she quit Camp Alvord very early in the season, all stressed out because her Camp Alvord-Bear Island camp cabin had all these big scary, ugly, horrible spiders inside her waterfront camper cabin on the eastern, rising morning sun side of Bear Island which she did not appreciate ...... ..... never to go to any summer camp again ..... boo-hoo! ..... plus their allotted daily time schedule with five different daily periods ..... 1st, 2nd, 3rd, lunch, rest period, 4th, 5th, dinner .... was too regimental for her, or something. ....

From the Lake Winnipesaukee Museum .... www.lwhs.us/his-camps.htm .... info and photos on different, old Lake Winnipesaukee youth summer camps.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:01 PM   #89
tis

Maybe they went somewhere and stayed over night which of course is illegal now unless you own the land, but I never saw people go out for the day and party like they do now. Did you APS?