Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
sarahk718

Default Mount One!

When the Mount passes by, the first person to notice it at our cabin yells "Mount One"; a chorus of "Mount Two", "Mount Three", and so forth among family and cabin guests soon follows. This was a staple of my childhood summers at the lake, and my now, almost adult children have always played along with great gusto. Urged by my kids, I recently asked my father where this tradition came from. My father said he didn't know because he had played the same "game" since his childhood at the lake, as did many of his other summer friends at neighboring cabins. So I pose this question to the forum....who else plays our silly game?
sarahk718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #2
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahk718 View Post
When the Mount passes by, the first person to notice it at our cabin yells "Mount One"; a chorus of "Mount Two", "Mount Three", and so forth among family and cabin guests soon follows. This was a staple of my childhood summers at the lake, and my now, almost adult children have always played along with great gusto. Urged by my kids, I recently asked my father where this tradition came from. My father said he didn't know because he had played the same "game" since his childhood at the lake, as did many of his other summer friends at neighboring cabins. So I pose this question to the forum....who else plays our silly game?
We call out "spotted it" first one wins
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:53 AM   #3
Reilly

Default Lsp

I believe it may have started in Lake Shore Park, My wife has been doing it for her entire life & got it from her grandparents who were original owners of the park, It still continues with our kids & grandkids today
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:33 AM   #4
winniskier

Default Lake Shore Park?

This has been a tradition in Chanticleer Shores (in front of Broadview in Gilford) for all my life. Since many of the families started in LSP in the 1950s, I figured it came from there. Any from LSP want to comment?
winniskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:51 AM   #5
Donzi Minx

Smile Mount Washington FIRST

Well there were 12 of us all in one spot at my uncles cottage in West Alton and by Gawd there would be necks straining to see who could catch a glimpse of the Mount first. And the ensuing "no you didn't, I did, what great childhood memories.

Just yesterday out in the boat, #3 son exclaims "Mount Washington First" so the tradition sticks!
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2017, 06:24 AM   #6
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniskier View Post
This has been a tradition in Chanticleer Shores (in front of Broadview in Gilford) for all my life. Since many of the families started in LSP in the 1950s, I figured it came from there. Any from LSP want to comment?
My family have 2 places in LSP and I have been saying Mount 1 for about 35 years now. I just thought everyone did it. No idea why I thought that.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:54 AM   #7
Barney Bear

Default Flashing the Mount

For many years, we have turned our dock lights on and off as the Mount approaches our location on East Bear Island. Frequently, the Mount acknowledges our greeting, and returns the salute by flashing her lights near the pilot house. Thank you, Mount!
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:45 AM   #8
chaseisland

Still looking from our front porch, haven't seen her yet.
chaseisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:02 AM   #9
neckdweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
For many years, we have turned our dock lights on and off as the Mount approaches our location on East Bear Island. Frequently, the Mount acknowledges our greeting, and returns the salute by flashing her lights near the pilot house. Thank you, Mount!
Saw your post title before reading and thought you were going in a completely different direction.
neckdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:04 AM   #10
Barney Bear

Default Flashing the Mount Update

Years ago, our family and guests were on a dinner cruise on the Mount. On this cruise, she passed between Varney Point and Locke's Island and on through Glendale Harbor. On Locke's Island, lights were flashing to greet the Mount as she passed by. The Mount turned her searchlight on to respond. The beam picked up a group of young men on a dock "flashing" back. The searchlight was quickly turned off. 😱
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:04 AM   #11
Tallyho

This was also a tradition in Alton Bay, but it was, "I see the Mount first". I picked it up from my family in the 1950s, so who knows how long it been going on.
Tallyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #12
hapeboatr

Whether at our house or on our boat you always want to be the first one to say "there's the Mount!"
hapeboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #13
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
My family have 2 places in LSP and I have been saying Mount 1 for about 35 years now. I just thought everyone did it. No idea why I thought that.
Same here, My father's been in LSP for ~ 70 years, I all my life. Everyone still yelling it all up and down the beach. Although as a I kid I do remember it was Mt By 1, now its shortened to Mount 1.
Also, Since I was a kid, when the Mount was first spotted in the afternoon I remember that was when all the adults went up to get their drinks. Now that the Mount doesn't have the same schedule, I just say the first time you see it is a good time to get a drink
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #14
Aunt Lula

I love this! We are on Wentworth, so no Mount sightings for us. Over the years, we would wait to hear Camp Bernadette play taps.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:42 AM   #15
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
Same here, My father's been in LSP for ~ 70 years, I all my life. Everyone still yelling it all up and down the beach. Although as a I kid I do remember it was Mt By 1, now its shortened to Mount 1.
Also, Since I was a kid, when the Mount was first spotted in the afternoon I remember that was when all the adults went up to get their drinks. Now that the Mount doesn't have the same schedule, I just say the first time you see it is a good time to get a drink
Then I would assume your father knows/knew my grandparents as I believe they have been there for 60 or so years at least.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:25 PM   #16
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
Then I would assume your father knows/knew my grandparents as I believe they have been there for 60 or so years at least.
Probably, We know pretty much everyone. Or used to. Now I just sit in my grandfather's spot on the porch listening to the Red Sox games like he used to.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #17
Kings Bluff

Smile

Love it! But I still miss the sound of the Mount approaching with the old engines.
Kings Bluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #18
chattypatty

My ex-husbands family grew up at LSP and moved over to Chanticleer Shores with the original families. I spent many weekends and vacations there as did my daughter. I remember all of the kids waiting and watching to see who would yell it first. When I am up there even now and see the Mount, the first thing out of my mouth is " Mount One!!"
chattypatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #19
gravy boat

Default Mount One!

I recall "Mount 1" for as long I can remember at Lake Shore Park. And that goes back to the mid 60s. We left the Park in the 70s but we and our numerous family members still play at Aqua Vue and around the lake - we are everywhere up here.

Dickie B from HB - did you, Mom and Uncle Bill play this at LSP as kids?

Susie
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote